As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Deadly Creatures for the Wii (looks good!)

• Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hahaha, I love how the scorpion is using wrestling moves or something on those bugs/lizards

SUPLEX! YEAAH!

Lemming on
  • Options
    UltrachristUltrachrist Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Oh please please let this be good.

Let me take out a man as a scorpion, shadow of the collosus style, oh yeah.

Ultrachrist on
    ultrachrist2.png
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    japanesebugfights.com is the best website I have ever seen in my entire life.

As you may have inferred from the above statement, I'm very interested in this game. Especially since I actively like spiders. All you arachnophobes should come over to my house sometime, there are giant ones hanging of the balcony.

FUCK YEAH!

www.japanesebugfights.com

For some reason the scorpions seem to be pussies though.

The again that might be because they're fighting against giant ass rhino beetles.

fight the 11th is really sweet. it's the only time that stinger of theirs seems to do anything at all, and it looks like it was completely by luck

Guek on
  • Options
    ArtArt Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Oh please please let this be good.

Let me take out a man as a scorpion, shadow of the collosus style, oh yeah.

That is a compelling statement.

Art on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Man, tarantulas are not nearly as scary as Sydney Funnel Webs. I am all over this, though. Double if an unlockable skin is Kryten's hand.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Man, tarantulas are not nearly as scary as trapdoor spiders.

Fix'd for horrors.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Man I really hope this turns out to be moderately decent. It seems like a really interesting concept. And it looks great too, graphics-wise.

I've held a tarantula before, they don't really frighten me that much. This should be cool.
    Kay I'll admit holding the tarantula made me a little nervous...

... kay yes I was scared

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    ArtArt Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Man, tarantulas are not nearly as scary as trapdoor spiders.

Fix'd for horrors.

Enlighten me on the frightening qualities of trapdoor spiders, if you would.

Art on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    New preview from IGN including videos!! Woohoo!
    http://wii.ign.com/articles/863/863974p1.html
    It's all very moody and the presentation is enhanced by the fact that Rainbow Studios is really pushing Wii from a technical level. Not only do the environments themselves come to life with defined geometry and sharper textures -- as you crawl over a newspaper in a manmade bathroom, you can actually read the text -- but the character models animate fluidly, feature real-time projected shadows, and make their kills to a splattering of gooey particle effects.
    Deadly Creatures also boasts one of the most ambient Wii soundtracks to date, with music that dynamically changes depending on your actions – the beat actually picks up. In the two levels we've explored thus far, though, Rainbow Studios seems content to let the sound effects set the mood, which works very well.
    Stages featuring the scorpion will generally be more action-oriented and linear because the arachnid is a brawler and likes to attack enemies straight on. The tarantula levels will require stealth. The character is speedier than the scorpion, but prefers to attack without warning. To that end, the levels the arachnid explores will be less linear, enabling the critter to walk up walls, shoot webs to ceilings, crawl around upside-down and drop on enemies below. The spider can also execute a stealth one-hit-kill when it sneaks up behind opponents.

As usual, screenshots don't do the game justice as usual with Wii screenshots, check out the videos to see how good it looks on the Wii.

deadly-creatures-20080402014109750.jpg
    deadly-creatures-20080402013955034_640w.jpg
    deadly-creatures-20080402014058876.jpg

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    l_g wrote: »
    Maybe just the final boss will simply be the nasty-looking owner of that quiet gas station mentioned in the topic's blurb.
    ign wrote:
    It all starts with an explosion. A desert gas station has mysteriously blown up and a television news report has first details on the event. Evidently, witnesses are reporting that critters had something to do with the accident. Or was it an accident? Flash back to the previous day...

I could be right! I'm calling it!

Update makes the game even more tantalizing: it sounds like serious thought went into the scenario of being a scorpion/spider and the levels that'll go along with that, and that they actually invested that much and that seriously into the game's soundtrack? Really impressive.

l_g on
    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Man I'm still waiting on a final word once it comes out but damn if this doesn't sound awesome.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oh, man, those videos are awesome. I am so psyched for this game.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    September is so far away....
    It's nice to see a neat, unique game coming out for the Wii though.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    This looks really cool. I think I'm in.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    This is one of the best ideas for a game ever - probably a close #2 after "Jetpack Brontosaurus".

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    two words:

will buy.

well, 4 words

6 words

Guek on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2008
    I read about this in Nintendo Power on my break at work. Sounded awesome.

The screens where the spider is just leaping at things larger than it are particularly groovy.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It has No More Heroes-style finshing moves?
    Not a bad thing at all.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Fucking hell. That japanese bugfights website is awesome! I can't watch because i'm freaked out by it, but then at the same time i can't tear my eyes away. I'm literally squirming in my seat .... *shudder*

Lly on
  • Options
    MooreningMoorening Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I don't know if I'm pissing myself in fear of the spiders, or out of excitement of this game looking to be pretty cool, but either way, I don't seem to mind the warm wet spot in my seat.

Moorening on
    It would appear there ain't no rest for the wicked...who knew?
  • Options
    PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Man, a lot of people here hate spiders.
    Me too. :D

Pemulis on
  • Options
    Baka_ShadeBaka_Shade Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    They blow up a gas station? You're playing as insect terrorists? I love it.

I'm particularly interested in the crawling-on-walls mechanics. The level design really seems to benefit from it.

Baka_Shade on
    kanpilgrimsigfinal2.png
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Baka_Shade wrote: »
    They blow up a gas station? You're playing as insect terrorists? I love it.

I am guessing the human tries do pull off the end of the movie arachnaphobia, and uh...screws up real bad?

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Man, the idea of sneaking up on a person and biting them with a spider is awesome.

I don't think enough people are talking about how great this game looks, this blew me away
    camel_spider_sandoval.jpg
    I'm a bad person.

Those are camel spiders. Fun fact, they actively seek out the shade. So in a desert, where people are the only things casting shadows, it is common for them to quickly approach you.

MiserableMirth on
  • Options
    artooartoo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Man, the idea of sneaking up on a person and biting them with a spider is awesome.

I don't think enough people are talking about how great this game looks, this blew me away
    camel_spider_sandoval.jpg
    I'm a bad person.

Those are camel spiders. Fun fact, they actively seek out the shade. So in a desert, where people are the only things casting shadows, it is common for them to quickly approach you.

OH GOD, I ONLY CAME TO SAY THAT THIS GAME LOOKS COOL BUT NOW IM GONNA HAVE TO CHANGE MY PANTS.

D:D:D:D:D:D:D:

artoo on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Camel spiders are not spiders.
    They also have really weird mouthparts and are, as I recall, not poisonous at all.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    They are pseudoscorpians. Basically scorpians without a tail.

Edit: Maybe not, wiki tells me I am wrong, but I coulda swore I read it somewhere.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Pseudoscorpions are a different kind of creature, and I believe have a hard carapace.
    Camel spiders are wind scorpions.
    Both are however arachnids, along with vinegar scorpions, ticks, mites and horseshoe crabs.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    as somebody who loves the fuck out of some insects and arachnids, I am jazzed to the max about this game

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Woo!! New info and new videos of Deadly Creatures - this time focusing on the tarantula:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/883/883119p1.html

Check out the videos featuring the tarantula - the animation of the Tarantula as it moves around is really really good - kinda feel like you're really seeing a tarantula creeping around you.

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    Taxman29Taxman29 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It's looking way better now.

Taxman29 on
  • Options
    The Last GentThe Last Gent Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Seriously, I'm loving this more and more. Finally, something original. Have we ever seen this kind of game ever before? I'm no historian, so I'm genuinely posing that question.

The Last Gent on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So if it's a tarantula and a scorpion working together does that mean we will see some epic tarantula/scorpion fist bumps as they lay waste to their enemies?

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So if it's a tarantula and a scorpion working together does that mean we will see some epic tarantula/scorpion fist bumps as they lay waste to their enemies?

Killing a bunch of desert critters and evil humans: Do Fist Pound.

Couscous on
  • Options
    AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    So, essentially the storyline is based around the human characters that you sometimes come into contact with? That actually sounds like a really interesting way to tell a story. So far it seems to be about grave robbers?

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Does the Scorpion monologue about revenge?

I'm buying it anyway but that would be great.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I think it will just luge, perhaps a deluge if we're lucky

:P

kinda wished there was new footage of the fighting - that snake seemed like standard boss fare. However, the story sounds fantastic and actually unique for once, which is ace.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So, essentially the storyline is based around the human characters that you sometimes come into contact with? That actually sounds like a really interesting way to tell a story. So far it seems to be about grave robbers?

And every time they rob a grave you hear a loud and resounding..

BOOSH!

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Walking on walls and ceilings
    Jumping huge distances
    Really, the scorpion's looking kind of dull now

Xagarath on
  • Options