As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game On] OWoD: Ratkin (get up, monkey)

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Fomori... Well, as long as it doesn't mind the slowest person in the group, I'm cool w/ whatever you throw at us.

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    What's the rule for starting out with a few items that've been Dedicated (via the Rite of Artifice Dedication)? Specifically, I'm thinking of getting a pair of sunglasses and Three-Forty-Four's scalpel bound.

DE?AD on
  • KrataLightbladeKrataLightblade Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    DE?AD wrote: »
    What's the rule for starting out with a few items that've been Dedicated (via the Rite of Artifice Dedication)? Specifically, I'm thinking of getting a pair of sunglasses and Three-Forty-Four's scalpel bound.

AS I understand it:

Fetishes are already Dedicated.

Other items can be dedicated at a maximum of your Gnosis in items, with one set of clothes usually counting as one item for simplicuity so you don't go naked when you shift forms or tear them up in Crinos or whatnot.

KrataLightblade on
    LEVEL 50 SWORD JUGGLER/WIZARD!
    edited February 2008
    Damn, I hadn't thought of that. If you switch to rodens form, you can always run back later and grab your bag or w/e, right?

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, your gear just drops to the ground (or rips to shreds, depending) when you shift if it's not dedicated. You can come back and get it later, if it's still there.

We've still got room for one more, if there's anyone else reading this and interested (piL).

INeedNoSalt on
  • Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Is this still recruiting? I LOVE ratkin.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
    edited February 2008
    More or less, we've still got that last spot to fill (I had two reserves, but one of them opted out.) That means you can probably slip right in.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sheet forthcoming. How will we be playing?

Whiniest Man On Earth on
    edited February 2008
    I think we're going with play-by-post, because I didn't get much response for "Does early evenings on Wednesdays work?", but we've got one player who can only do play if we go with play-by-post.

The game'll be run here in Critical Failures.

INeedNoSalt on
    edited February 2008
    How're those last couple of sheets comin' together?

INeedNoSalt on
    edited February 2008
    Didn't you hear?

The lab rat got hungry and chewed up all the sheets.

KrataLightblade on
    edited February 2008
    Did not.

Here's 344's revised sheet:
    [HTML]Name: Three-Forty-Four | Breed: Rodens | Nature: Predator
    Player: DE?AD | Plague: The Rat Race | Demeanor: Curmudgeon
    Chronicle: | Aspect: Warrior | Rank:

Physical Mental Social
    | Strength 4 | Perception 3 | Charisma 1 |
    | Dexterity 3 | Intelligence 2 | Manipulation 1 |
    | Stamina 4 | Wits 3 | Appearance 4 |

Talents Skills Knowledge
    | Alertness 1 | Animal Ken - | Computer - |
    | Athletics 3 | Drive - | Enigmas 2 |
    | Brawl 3 | Etiquette - | Investigation - |
    | Dodge 4 | Firearms - | Law - |
    | Empathy - | Leadership - | Linquistics 1 |
    | Expression - | Melee 4 | Medicine 1 |
    | Intimidation 2 | Performance - | Occult 1 |
    | Primal-Urge 2 | Repair - | Politics - |
    | Streetwise - | Stealth 3 | Rituals 1 |
    | Subterfuge - | Survival 3 | Science - |

Gifts
    Darksight
    Absolute Balance
    Resist Pain

Rites
    Rite of the Pain Dagger

Backgrounds
    Colony: -
    Contacts: -
    Fetish: 3 (Pain Dagger Agony Charm)
    Freak Factor: -
    Mentor: -
    Plague: 2
    Resources: -
    Rites: -

Merits/Flaws
    Deformities (Hairless, Sterile Albino, often confused for a metis) -2

Infamy: 2 | Rage: 6
    Obligation: 1 | Gnosis: 5
    Cunning: 0 | Willpower: 5[/HTML]

Appearance:
    In Homid form, Three-Forty-Four is a strange mixture of attractive and unsettling - her features are attractive enough, but her deformities give her a disconcerting, nearly alien appearance. Three thin slashes run across the bridge of her nose in all three forms, scars from the ratkin who infected her.

Possessions:
    Three-Forty-Four's only real possessions are her Pain Dagger, a simple scalpel she stole from the laboratory after her first change, and a pair of crimson-tinted sunglasses. After a number of complaints from the plague's other members, she's also had a simple, dark red sun dress Dedicated, for decency's sake.

History: Three-Forty-Four was raised in a laboratory, one a least a hundred other rats used in the testing of experimental medicines and radical new surgical procedures. Her salvation finally came when a rat she'd never seen before broke into her cage and raked it's claws across her snout. The scientist's monitoring her were confounded by the sudden, violent infection. They had no idea what could've caused such a reaction.
    As the Birthing plague surged through her system, the fear Three-Forty-Four had felt at the hands of her human captors was replaced by rage and indignation.
    The police never did figure out what had happened to the unfortunate intern who happened to be working the late shift the night of Three-Forty's First Change - at first they'd assumed it was some sort of animal attack, but this was dismissed when most of the wounds had been inflicted with a scalpel.

DE?AD on
    edited February 2008
    What are the restrictions on having stuff dedicated? Obviously one can't have a ton of crap, but what about a pair of clothes, a gun, and a satchel?

Edit: Bah, all this about rats is making me miss my pet rats.

Brody on

edited February 2008
    Dedicating a gun would be nigh-useless without also dedicating its ammunition.

A set of clothes is usually the first thing any shifter gets dedicated.

A satchel might be nice, but depending on INNS ruling, anything in it wouldn't shift to the Umbra with you, and would be left behind.

KrataLightblade on
    edited February 2008
    An outfit of clothes is fine, and the satchel can count as part of that (but it's just the satchel -- dedicating it doesn't make it a magic bag.) A gun is a separate item requiring a separate dedication.
    Dedicating clothing means only that specific outfit is dedicated, for what it's worth.

INeedNoSalt on
    edited February 2008
    So basically I better make sure I can get back to my stuff when I shift?

Brody on

• EccentricEccentric Registered User new member
    edited February 2008
    What the heck is this? I'm not sure...

But despite my ignorance, I wanna be involved! Ratkin's my preferred Bete in oWOD! Shizzle fo dizzle I want a piece of that hizzle!

Count me in if it ain't too late!

Eccentric on
    edited February 2008
    Brody wrote: »
    So basically I better make sure I can get back to my stuff when I shift?

Or don't carry anything you can't afford to lose if you're expecting to shift, yeah.

@Eccentric: We're more or less full, here, although I haven't heard from Powerslave in a couple days.

INeedNoSalt on
    edited February 2008
    So, does it look like we are going to get a totem, or should I spend those points on something else?

Brody on

• PowerslavePowerslave Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Brody wrote: »
    So, does it look like we are going to get a totem, or should I spend those points on something else?

I'm setting aside some points for a totem as well.

Powerslave on
    "Never trust anyone who spells 'magic' with a K."
    edited February 2008
    I was under the impression that due to page 57 specifically noting that Totem is not an accessible background, and page 58 describing that Ratkin don't pool their Totem rating like Garou do, we wuldn't NEED tot ake a Totem rating, that the Dedication Rite that a Shadow Seer performed linking us to our ratpack totem would determine its level, not Background dots.

If that's been altered in some way, by all means let me know so i can shift dots around.

KrataLightblade on
    edited February 2008
    But since you don't have a Shadow Seer handy --

It's still worth determining if you're a Rat Pack or not, and figuring out what Totem you work under. It's true that Rat Packs are much less stringent and lasting concerns than garou packs, but that doesn't make being a Pack a bad idea.

Even if you're not spending points for it, it's still something to discuss (and it'll make it easier to get the game underway; less herding rats.)

INeedNoSalt on
    edited February 2008
    So are we a pack then? I'm cool either way.

Brody on

edited February 2008
    I'm all for serving the Rat God in a somewhat spirutually official fashion in which the voices in my head actually tell me NOT to kill my buddies.

KrataLightblade on
  • PowerslavePowerslave Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Cuckoo is awesome and anyone who disagrees is a rat bastard.

Powerslave on
    "Never trust anyone who spells 'magic' with a K."
    edited February 2008
    Powerslave wrote: »
    Cuckoo is awesome and anyone who disagrees is a rat bastard.

...I resemble that remark, thank you.

KrataLightblade on
    edited February 2008
    Okay, here's what I think about Totems:

If you don't take a totem, then each of you individually benefits from Rat's boon and ban (+2 to Survival, must give aid or comfort to the homeless daily, can't harm Bone Gnawers that serve Rat). If you form a pack under rat, you get those same benefits, as well as +1 Cunning and 5 willpower to be used by any member of the pack (drawing from that pool) per Story.

If you choose another totem, assume you have a reasonably capable and lucky Shadow Seer; 5 temporary points of Totem background used to select a totem.

Most likely, at some point in the chronicle, you will form a pack regardless: If we take care of this beforehand, when the game starts, you'll likely still all be servants of Rat, and then when the pack is formed, we'll have the specifics taken care of (because it takes forever for some groups to agree on a totem.)

Totems for Rats aren't permanent or lasting affairs like they are for Wolves -- so this may well just be your first Pack Totem.

INeedNoSalt on
    edited February 2008
    Okay, here's what I think about Totems:

If you don't take a totem, then each of you individually benefits from Rat's boon and ban (+2 to Survival, must give aid or comfort to the homeless daily, can't harm Bone Gnawers that serve Rat). If you form a pack under rat, you get those same benefits, as well as +1 Cunning and 5 willpower to be used by any member of the pack (drawing from that pool) per Story.

If you choose another totem, assume you have a reasonably capable and lucky Shadow Seer; 5 temporary points of Totem background used to select a totem.

Most likely, at some point in the chronicle, you will form a pack regardless: If we take care of this beforehand, when the game starts, you'll likely still all be servants of Rat, and then when the pack is formed, we'll have the specifics taken care of (because it takes forever for some groups to agree on a totem.)

Totems for Rats aren't permanent or lasting affairs like they are for Wolves -- so this may well just be your first Pack Totem.

I'm absolutely all for the Rat Incarna, but that's because it's very thematically appropriate for Ratkin at large and several of OUR ratkin specifically.

However, I'm open to other ideas. Cuckoo, however, is out of our reach, as it's a 6 point Totem and we've been told we only have 5 points to spend should we take one other than Rat.,

KrataLightblade on
    edited February 2008
    You can spend willpower to increase that number, and they're restored to you when you complete your pack's goal and the Totem splits.

Edit: I know some of you have posted your sheets in the thread, I'd love you if you could also PM them to me.

INeedNoSalt on
    edited February 2008
    I think if anybody wants to spend WP on that, it should definately not be the one of us who's going to be blowing WP like crazy to avoid frenzy/murder under stress. *L*

EDIT: Also, I give thanks to He Who Sent Me An Avatar.

It's ever so perfect.

EDIT 2: Cuckoo's stats, for those curious:

Traits: one dot of Manipulation, two dots of Subterfuge, a special ability to be overlooked by rolling Manip+Subterfuge, someone has to roll better on Perc Alert than we do or they ignore us.If we draw attention, reroll at +2 difficulty.

Ban: Well, uhh, generally the Ban is that we're opportunistic and somewhat willing to be avaricious and greedy at other's expense, and we'd lose 2 Honor but, uh, we're not using Honor, 'cuz we're not Garou.

Also, that Manipulation, Subterfuge, and special ability are only available to one packmate at a time.

KrataLightblade on
    edited February 2008
    Someone mind giving me the page number for the Ratkin totems? I've looked all through this book and I can't find them for the life of me. White Wolf should really invest more time into their tables of contents.

DE?AD on
    edited February 2008
    66-68 describe three totems particularly common to Ratkin (Rat!, City Mothers and Fathers, and Grandfather Thunder.) Otherwise, you'll want to be looking in the Werewolf book.

INeedNoSalt on
    edited February 2008
    Thanks. I doubt 344 will have a personal totem, but it'll be nice to know what people are talking about.

DE?AD on
    edited February 2008
    Every ratkin automatically takes Rat as their totem. You just get a different totem if you form a Rat Pack -- and since you'll all be working together in this chronicle, that'll happen sooner or later; we can discuss it then, though, since we're obviously not getting much interplay here (which always makes me wary, when players don't communicate with eachother, but we'll see what we can do.)

INeedNoSalt on
    edited February 2008
    So I should spend those three points on something else? Prolly another rage/gnosis. And I'll send you my sheet in a moment.

Brody on

edited February 2008
    That would be just fine; likewise, the character description is also fine.

INeedNoSalt on
    edited February 2008
    Well, in that case, I succeeded in not screwing up. Btw, when the time comes that the group's life relies on a roll, don't let me do it...

Brody on

edited February 2008
    ... since we're obviously not getting much interplay here (which always makes me wary, when players don't communicate with eachother, but we'll see what we can do.)

Good point - Perhaps we should work on getting some character-history tie-ins before the game starts? Depending on how long you'd like us to have been full-fledged wererats at game start, it might be interesting if some of us had actually had a hand in converting (or siring, or birthing, whatever the correct term is) others.

For instance, it could be that 344's first real task as a member of the plague was to lure Damien into the tunnels.

DE?AD on
    edited February 2008
    I totally approve if you guys want to discuss things like that while we wait on these last few sheets -- how's that coming, guys? -- It can only help!

You're all still relatively young wererats (with the exception Powerslave's metis, just out of necessity -- metis are put through the Plague at birth), and all rank one, but that doesn't mean you couldn't've been infected and gone through your change quite awhile back (even a couple of years, at the far end, although your renown of 3 means you haven't really done much in that time.)

INeedNoSalt on
    edited February 2008
    DE?AD wrote: »
    ... since we're obviously not getting much interplay here (which always makes me wary, when players don't communicate with eachother, but we'll see what we can do.)

Good point - Perhaps we should work on getting some character-history tie-ins before the game starts? Depending on how long you'd like us to have been full-fledged wererats at game start, it might be interesting if some of us had actually had a hand in converting (or siring, or birthing, whatever the correct term is) others.

For instance, it could be that 344's first real task as a member of the plague was to lure Damien into the tunnels.

I can see KK having been one of the 'rats that helped break 344 out of the lab, if you're going with an ultraviolence-ladenb breakout scenario.

KrataLightblade on