As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Interest Thread] DnD Arena Game

JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Critical Failures
Who wants to have an elimination-style DnD tournament? I figure we can start at level 1, whip up some arenas and have a series of rounds depending on how many people we have. If you win a round, you go up 1 or 2 levels and get some gold. Not sure what kind of restrictions there should be on books and stuff, as obviously there are some really cheap builds. Anyway, what do you cats think?

steam_sig.png
JacquesCousteau on

• Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Gredavin tried somethin' like this, but it died because people wouldn't show up for their fights. =[

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I remember. I was in it. Ha. I was just thinking we might be able to round up some good eggs around here. But I'm not too concerned one way or the other.

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    It could be fun!

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    Abysmal LynxAbysmal Lynx Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Gredavin tried somethin' like this, but it died because people wouldn't show up for their fights. =[

The forums going down for like, three days didn't help much either.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Tournament games bring out the worst of the worst. You haven't known fear until you run into dragonwrought kobold casters and Dragon Born Water Orc Barbarians with more classes than Elminister times 2 and hiders with HiPS, Non-Detection and a hide mod of 3 digits.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    The less supplements you allow, the better it is?

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

As the supplements go down the less viable fightery dudes become. (Barring very low levels.)

If this happens I demand giants hurling huge sized chucks of lead enchanted to be flaming.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    It's kind of hard to make an ultra-fighting machine at level 1 isn't it? Also, we can restrict it to maybe PHB, DMG, and the Completes for character building or something (We don't even really need the completes on that list).

And we could always come up with other rules like: You have to take more than 1 level in any class you take; so no Pal 1/SD 1/Rog... Anyway, if people are really interested and think they can post at a reasonable rate then I can start making a list.

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Tournament games bring out the worst of the worst. You haven't known fear until you run into dragonwrought kobold casters and Dragon Born Water Orc Barbarians with more classes than Elminister times 2 and hiders with HiPS, Non-Detection and a hide mod of 3 digits.
    At the PAX 05 D&D tourney, a couple rogues did endless battle because, once hidden, neither could find the other.

Also: Gravetouched Ghoul Chaos Monk.

I almost beat the guy who won the melee tournament. But I lost because he cast spells from scrolls and because the judge said that heavy fortification does not negate sneak attacks when the person attacking is under the effects of a ghostform spell.

Hooray.

Litejedi on
    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008

As the supplements go down the less viable fightery dudes become. (Barring very low levels.)

If this happens I demand giants hurling huge sized chucks of lead enchanted to be flaming.

Those spellcasters would have to fight the melee guys early on -- it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect them all to die right off the bat anyway.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I really want to do something with D&D, and if we can't do a campaign, I'll mindlessly kill sentient beings without hesitation.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    You played the Frenzied Berserker, right?

I played the dual-wielding dervish.

Heck, without his ghostform being lucky, I would've hit him more than 25% of the time and he would have been dead too. I just got unlucky, really. Plus I expected a non-spellcaster duel to have, you know. A lack of spells.

Litejedi on
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Which Ghostform?

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm willing to help run and organize this. I would suggest the level be six instead of one though. This allows caster characters to stand a chance while still eliminating save-or-die attacks.

Optionally, we could always do something besides D&D, like SWSE perhaps. Make X level characters, you have 10 rounds to kill each other before they release the rancor into the room. Something like that.

Wait, I am starting to have an epipheny: why don't we, instead of having just one-off arena duels, make an entire gladiator campaign, where people make 1st level characters forced to fight for their lives in the gladiatorial pits. Various DM's could jump in with a random combat at a whim, grabbing whomever he wants from the roster for the event. It would also add an interesting layer of strategy to the game, where melee classes may want to protect the "weaker" low level classes (wiz/sorc, bard) so as to be able to rely on their abilities at higher levels, but this would be counterbalanced by the fact you may need to fight one of them at some point.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Delro you are pretty awesome. I like that gladiator idea. Maybe all of us can whip up some interesting gladiatorial challenges (remake the Battle of Carthage).

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Oh, permadeath would be in, definitely. And being that you guys are going to be poor gladiators, don't expect to find the 1000g-25000g needed for a resurrection/reincarnate.

Of course, if you die, nothing is stopping you from rerolling a new 1st level character.

The key question, of course, is that of interest.

Here's what I am thinking for character gen:

- 32 point buy (why not? you guys are badasses after all)
    - starting gold is 1/10th normal max
    - wizards do not get spell books; rather, their spells are tattooed to their bodies; the only source for new spells would be the two freebies for levelling, or skinning the corpse of a defeated wizard
    - first round of characters would be core rules only, la+0 races; deaths can be rerolled with splat book characters; optionally, rerolled characters have the ecl cap raised to half of the highest level character they have ever had, so, for example, if you want to play an ogre, you have to reach at least 12th level with a previous gladiator to "unlock" it

edit: for ecl>1 characters, you start with no class levels if the race has more than one racial hit die; if the race is one racial hit die or less (or possesses an npc class), you take one level in a class of your choice; example: ogre starts at level 6 (4HD+2LA) and no class levels, drow starts at level 3 (0HD+2LA+1 class level), grig starts at 4 (3LA+1 class level, replacing racial 1HD)

delroland on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Could 1/10th starting gold buy anyone anything? Or are you still thinking of a level 6 start?

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    No, level one. You would essentially get one weapon and leather armor, or one weapon plus a wooden shield and padded armor. Clubs would be a good choice too.

That, or I could do the Dark Sun thing, where metal weapons and armor cost ten times as much as normal, but all other equipment remains the same, and characters would start with normal money.

I just don't want gladiators to be kitted as well as a Centurion in full banded mail; it messes with the SoD.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Time for make ORC!

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I do like the dark sun idea, but classes that don't rely on metal would have a pretty big advantage, no?

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    This is really looking pretty cool. I have to agree though, if metal costs ten times as much, wouldn't a druid or a monk have a pretty big advantage?

I'm really digging the low money and wizard skinning though.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I think that [strike]I[/strike] Christine, the attention deficit optimist bard, should totally be the announcer for all the bouts.

Come on.

Come ooooooon.

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    clearly, the only solution is to forbid cloth casters.

Druids in Dark Sun? Monks in 2Ed? Nope :)

Wait, if we do go Dark Sun, then where bringing psionics into the mix. I have always wanted to try my hand at a psionic class...

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    don't let christine get involved, she will heal everyone and the fights will never end

she will ruin your arena

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I think that [strike]I[/strike] Christine, the attention deficit optimist bard, should totally be the announcer for all the bouts.

Come on.

Come ooooooon.

Hey, whatever floats your boat. Of course, narrate too annyoingly, and you may be dodging a "stray" fireball. :lol: Though I must say that having a narrative GM would take some of the workload off the adjudicating GM for any particular scenario. That would however foist the responsibility of coming up with cool sounding nicknames for arena fighters squarely on your shoulders.

I don't really care about the gear thing, so if everyone wants to include metal, I am game. However, if that is the case, I would say you either take average gold, or you can roll (on invisible castle, of course).

delroland on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    That depends: where is your character?

delroland on
  • Options
    CrovaxanCrovaxan Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    i'm intrested but this core only thing, do you guys count the XPH as core. some do and some dont.

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
    Crovax.436 Steam: Crovaxan
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    so, PHB DMG and MM only?

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    What is XPH? Like PHBII?

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    it's the expanded psionics handbook. it's basically the psionic classes.

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I'm going to say core only for first characters, so no XPH for the first cycle. Let's keep it simple to start, and we can integrate complexity one character at a time as older characters are "retired". :twisted:

Edit: So that's PH, MM, DMG only; 32 point buy, LA+0 races only (including MM), starting gold = average. If you don't know average gold for the class you want, just ask, and I will tell you.

Edit2: Crovaxan - I'm not banning psionic characters; I just don't want to deal with the headache of a million psychic warriors and soulknifes right off the bat. Play a core character first. If he starts winning, then you will probably enjoy playing that character. And if he dies? Then you have now "unlocked" the psionic characters. :D

delroland on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    alright cool im in.

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    TIME IS BEING FOR ORC

Are you using Darksun style gear or what

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    No. I think we agreed that is not arena stylin.

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, all the fighters started whining in unison about not being able to have their falchion/greatsword/two-handed metal implement of doom.

:P

delroland on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    delroland wrote: »
    Yeah, all the fighters started whining in unison about not being able to have their falchion/greatsword/two-handed metal implement of doom.

:P

See and thats where a psychic warrior would laugh, and claw thier eyes out with the power of his mind!

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Aww, I liked the idea.

It didn't really stop you from using big weapons, it just made them easier to break.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Which Ghostform?

It was pre-SpC as far as I can remember. So it was probably pretty broken. In the end, he won with a no-save or die spell (greater whirlwind) and I basically gave up.

Litejedi on
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Litejedi wrote: »
    Which Ghostform?

I can't remember, but it was pre-SpC as far as I can remember. So it was probably pretty broken. In the end, he won with a no-save or die spell (greater whirlwind) and I basically gave up.

.....playing a UMD heavy rogue (That's an 8th level and a 9th level spell from a scroll) in a "No Casters" tourney is pretty much the height of douchebaggery.

Here I thought his taking advantage of the fact that Ghost Form lets you make touch attacks with a Ghost Touch melee weapon (when it really shouldn't given the manner in which incorporeal wielded Ghost Touch weapons normally work) was the bad part.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Litejedi wrote: »
    Which Ghostform?

I can't remember, but it was pre-SpC as far as I can remember. So it was probably pretty broken. In the end, he won with a no-save or die spell (greater whirlwind) and I basically gave up.

.....playing a UMD heavy rogue (That's an 8th level and a 9th level spell from a scroll) in a "No Casters" tourney is pretty much the height of douchebaggery.

Here I thought his taking advantage of the fact that Ghost Form lets you make touch attacks with a Ghost Touch melee weapon (when it really shouldn't given the manner in which incorporeal wielded Ghost Touch weapons normally work) was the bad part.

He was doing 10d6 x 1.5 +10d6 sneak dice with scrolls of "empowered orb of force."

:|

Litejedi on
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif