As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Rumor: MS buys Epic for 80 billion MS Points?

greeblegreeble Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Games and Technology
Update: Seems this rumor has been squashed with Mark Reign himself saying
I have not seen the actual GamePro article but if they're going to make predictions about us selling Epic we would prefer if they started at $2 billion. Because we don't want anyone thinking that we're cheap.

http://www.dbtechno.com/gaming/2008/02/18/microsoft-to-buy-gears-of-war-dev-epic-games
Washington (dbTechno) - According to reports, Microsoft is planning to buy the developer of the hit Xbox 360 game Gears of War, Epic Games, for the price of $1 billion. This all comes as an announcement is expected for Gears of War 2.

The report comes from the latest issue of GamePro magazine which stated that by this summer, Microsoft plans to finish a deal to buy Epic Games.

It is expected that Epic Games will reveal the sequel to Gears of War at the Game Developers’ Conference 2008 this week (GDC 2008).

They have their booth set up right next to Microsoft at the show.

If Microsoft does acquire Epic Games, it would also mean that they would own the rights to the Unreal game engine, which is used on every single platform, including the rival PS3, for developers to use to make next-gen games.

This would basically allow Microsoft to make money off of the Unreal engine rights used to sell games on the PC and PS3.

If this is true, this is huge news. Epic's engine power lots of games, and honestly considering the Fact that Reign and Cliffy have talked about their move to consoles its entirely probable.

Edit: Personally I hope this is not true. I had been planing on picking up UT III once the linux client was finished. Not to mention how this could negatively affect the quality of Unreal engine licensed ps3 titles.

PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
greeble on

• Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This can't end well.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Bogus. Believe me.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Should have put some of that money into Marvel Universe Online.
    Bastards.

I wonder if this will have any impact on the Unreal Engine licenses, I can't imagine it would.
    Huh, so now a studio creating a Microsoft Published title is suing another studio that Microsoft is about to own.

Accualt on
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yep, sure. Go ahead and make your money off of us PC gamers, then turn your greedy backs on us.

Honestly, its their engine I'm worried about. While UT3 was fun, it showed me that they don't really care about their series anymore by making it look exactly like Gears, so. But the engine. That engine is used so much. That could be very, very bad for PC. Also, isn't Microsoft entering a PC game alliance or some such? Seems a tad contradictory to me.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Bogus. Believe me.

I can quite believe it is bogus, but can you say how you know this? I was just thinking recently, I wonder if they'd consider putting in an offer for Epic, as some kind of Bungie replacement. That'd be a pretty ballsy move.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yep, sure. Go ahead and make your money off of us PC gamers, then turn your greedy backs on us.

Honestly, its their engine I'm worried about. While UT3 was fun, it showed me that they don't really care about their series anymore by making it look exactly like Gears, so. But the engine. That engine is used so much. That could be very, very bad for PC. Also, isn't Microsoft entering a PC game alliance or some such? Seems a tad contradictory to me.

Microsoft publishes games for the PC all the time. Don't worry about that. It's probably a move to keep developers from making multiplatform games by crippling/removing UT3's PS3 compatability.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    I wonder if this will have any impact on the Unreal Engine licenses, I can't imagine it would.

I could imagine the ps3 licensees could see some of their support from Epic dry up. Or see a considerable lag in feature or performance in updates.

greeble on

I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

I wonder if this will have any impact on the Unreal Engine licenses

A lot of companies stopped using Renderware after EA bought Criterion.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Even if this is true, this doesn't have much of an effect on gaming as a whole. From what I've heard, UT isn't a big draw for the PS3, and GOW2 was going to be 360/PC exclusive anyways. The money they'd spend on Epic probably won't be outweighed by the extra licensing fee revenues. They could potentially use ownership of the Unreal Engine as leverage to convince 3rd parties to ditch the PS3 (want to use the Unreal Engine? Make your game 360-exclusive). But that would lead to anti-competitive lawsuits.

Dirty on
  • Options
    Bill NyeBill Nye Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    That's a huge blow to Sony if this rings true.

Bill Nye on
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    my money is on this news story being fake, reason being that I highly doubt Epic is worth $1B. I would have guessed it would be worth one or two orders of magnitude less money than that.

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Dirty wrote: »
    Even if this is true, this doesn't have much of an effect on gaming as a whole. From what I've heard, UT isn't a big draw for the PS3, and GOW2 was going to be 360/PC exclusive anyways. The money they'd spend on Epic probably won't be outweighed by the extra licensing fee revenues. They could potentially use ownership of the Unreal Engine as leverage to convince 3rd parties to ditch the PS3 (want to use the Unreal Engine? Make your game 360-exclusive). But that would lead to anti-competitive lawsuits.

Limed for truth. And MS has dodged anti-trust lawsuits before, and they have the money to hire the best lawyers/lobbiests/politicians in the world.

greeble on

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Guys, look at the article. It's reported by GamePro.

Protip: GamePro is not exactly a reliable source.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    When it looks, sounds and smells bogus, that usually means it is...

Guibs on
    jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
  • Options
    FanciestWalnutFanciestWalnut Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I though it said MS buys epic for 18 dollars.

FanciestWalnut on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Again, I doubt this is real. The Dr. Evil pricetag puts it just outside the realm of possibility. Even if its true, the acquisition won't affect existing licensing deals. By the time the current crop of UE games are out, 3rd parties who prefer the increased revenue of multi-platform developing will probably find a different engine for future games.

Dirty on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    A billion dollars? Somehow I doubt that Epic is worth that much, although I could quite easily be wrong.

Burnage on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Some people saying it's not true because Epic are worth more than $1b, others saying they're probably not worth that much at all. The move won't have any impact on gaming and the industry apart from its impact on gaming and the industry.
    The Phoenix Wright contradict-o-meter is going off the charts.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    greeble wrote: »

I could imagine the ps3 licensees could see some of their support from Epic dry up. Or see a considerable lag in feature or performance in updates.

This would imply there was support in the first place.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    Bogus. Believe me.

I can quite believe it is bogus, but can you say how you know this? I was just thinking recently, I wonder if they'd consider putting in an offer for Epic, as some kind of Bungie replacement. That'd be a pretty ballsy move.

This is a rumour from the same magazine which claimed a world exclusive at Gears 2, which turned out to be a few paragraphs saying 'Hey, Epic might make Gears 2'.

Of course, this still could happen. And if it did, it would be megatonnage and rock gdc. But really, I'd consider this extremely unlikely. Extremely.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Guys, look at the article. It's reported by GamePro.

Protip: GamePro is not exactly a reliable source.

There's an outside chance this is true, but yeah, Gamepro just plain makes shit up a lot of the time.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Some people saying it's not true because Epic are worth more than $1b, others saying they're probably not worth that much at all. The move won't have any impact on gaming and the industry apart from its impact on gaming and the industry.

Yeah it's just crazy to think that different people would have different opinions

subedii on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    So no one is offering to eat their own cock if this is true? (I dunno why but it would make me feel better.)

greeble on

• Options
    edited February 2008
    Bogus. Believe me.

This is a rumour from the same magazine which claimed a world exclusive at Gears 2, which turned out to be a few paragraphs saying 'Hey, Epic might make Gears 2'.

Of course, this still could happen. And if it did, it would be megatonnage and rock gdc. But really, I'd consider this extremely unlikely. Extremely.

Ah, just wondered if you had some inside news you couldn't reference or something. Yeah, I would be seriously surprised if there were any actual truth behind this, but at the same time, Gears 2 will likely be pitched as the next console-selling Halo replacement, and I'd been wondering to myself recently if MS would consider making an offer for Epic. With the pedigree of the magazine, it's probably more of a "what if MS made an offer" article.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I sure as fuck hope this is fake.

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Burnage wrote: »
    A billion dollars? Somehow I doubt that Epic is worth that much, although I could quite easily be wrong.

EA bought Bioware/Pandermic for $800 million, and mass effect didn't shift 4.5 million like gears did. Seems to me to be smart news if it's true what with Bungie leaving.

Rook on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    subedii wrote: »

Yeah it's just crazy to think that different people would have different opinions

That's not what I'm saying, but if you've got people citing directly opposing reasons as proof this isn't true.. what does that tell you?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Oh come one

Bioware is acquired by EA

Blizzard+Vivendi merge with Activison

I say the odds for Microsoft to buy Epic are much more likely then that.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    subedii wrote: »

That's not what I'm saying, but if you've got people citing directly opposing reasons as proof this isn't true.. what does that tell you?

That different people have different opinions.

Who cares if they're diametrically opposite to each other? Nobody ever said that everyone has to have the same reason for believing or not believing something? You can't really say people are contradicting themselves unless they're making both statements at once, which I haven't seen.

Anyway, As for my own opinion, I can't say I've heard much of gamepro either way, but the concept itself doesn't seem completely far-fetched or anything.

subedii on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    YodaTuna wrote: »

I wonder if this will have any impact on the Unreal Engine licenses

A lot of companies stopped using Renderware after EA bought Criterion.

Yep, RenderWare pratically died overnight. They haven't even attempted to sell a 360/PS3/Wii version as far as I know.
    Wiki wrote:
    Bing Gordon, an EA executive, has stated that RenderWare didn't perform well enough for next-gen and that RenderWare didn't stand up to competition from Epic Games. He has also stated that the RenderWare team is "mostly a dev house" (as opposed to EA still using RenderWare).

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The only reason I could see Microsoft going for Epic is to try to get Gears to be its next Halo franchise. If that ends up being the case, the Unreal series itself (which has been on the downs for more than a few years) would be essentially dead, and all that'd be left is Gears. Does Epic even have anything else to make?

I mean, this is looking to just be a repeat of the whole Bungie scenario, where they make a few good multi-platinum sellers, get burned out, and look for ways out of their situation.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    Onidragon the AvengerOnidragon the Avenger Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    OH NOES!!!

...there is a 76% chance this is fake.

Onidragon the Avenger on
    Onidragon55.png
    sig.gif
  • Options
    YathrinYathrin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Epic is far more important as an Engine builder than an actual game maker. Really always had been. Thats not meant to demean the games they've made. The Unreal Tournament series has always been solid and Gears was awesome. Though the single player story based Unreal games always sucked, at least for me. Though I'm not even sure if they made those games themselves.

The steady revenue from Unreal Engine licensing is far more valuable than Bioware was so 1b isn't nearly as outlandish as some are making it out to be.

Yathrin on
    Deirdan.png
    card.png
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    To satisfy tradition...

I shall gorge myself upon mine own genitalia if this scandalous tale proves true.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yathrin wrote: »
    Epic is far more important as an Engine builder than an actual game maker. Really always had been. Thats not meant to demean the games they've made. The Unreal Tournament series has always been solid and Gears was awesome. Though the single player story based Unreal games always sucked, at least for me. Though I'm not even sure if they made those games themselves.

The steady revenue from Unreal Engine licensing is far more valuable than Bioware was so 1b isn't nearly as outlandish as some are making it out to be.

Exactly. And I honestly don't think Epic would sell for just $1B. Considering the impact and influence Epic has on so many games, MS would have to offer a lot more. To me, $1B isn't bad, I'd actually expect a LOT more.

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    To satisfy tradition...

I shall gorge myself upon mine own genitalia if this scandalous tale proves true.

A new challenger has entered!

So glad somebody stepped up.

Burnage on
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Can someone explain to me why it would be a big deal if MS bought Epic? Wouldn't they just keep making games for PC and 360 like they always do?

Urian on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    To satisfy tradition...

Why the hell do I keep on recording these bets.

Couscous on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    titmouse wrote: »
    To satisfy tradition...

Why the hell do I keep on recording these bets.

OCD : Likely.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    LotharsLothars Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    OH NOES!!!

...there is a 100% chance this is fake.

Corrected

if this is true than that really sucks.

Lothars on