As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My new computer won't connect to the internet

RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
So we have comcast, and i build this new computer in December and now, when I try to run the disk to install the ability to use the router and use the internet, the installer gets to 14% and crashes. This is a brand new computer and has only been on for less than an hour total since we build it. Any idea why that would happen?

Its a one of these

and this is my motherboard.

Also, I dunno or am unable to connect straight to the internet by connecting the computer straight to the internet.

RoyceSraphim on

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You do not need to install anything just to connect to your router. Are you getting an IP?

That_Guy on
  • Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Um yea, as That_Guy said, you dont need to install anything to connect to your router. What type of router do you have? Also, open a command prompt (Start > Run > Type cmd) and do ipconfig /all You'll be able to see whether or not you are getting an IP.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    What disk is it you're installing? You should only have to run the installer on your motherboard setup disk, if you have a built-in ethernet port, or run the disk that came with your network card.

Alternatively, use your working computer to download the latest drivers for the motherboard/network card, burn it to a disk, and use that.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I was using the disk that came with the router to install the drivers for it and when i connect the computer to the router, I get a light saying it (the computer) is connected to the router and I get another light saying it (the router) is connected to the internet but I am unable to get a connection. I have the LAN configuration in IE set to detect settings automatically but I dunno what is holding it up.

edit: I feel I should point out that the laptop I connect to the router and my Mother's computer both work fine with the router but i cannot get my freshly built computer up and running on the internet.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Connect to the Router webpage (usually 192.168.1.1 or something similar, check the manual for the router) and see if it can see your machine. Also, are you pulling an IP or just a loopback address?

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    bigwah wrote: »
    Connect to the Router webpage (usually 192.168.1.1 or something similar, check the manual for the router) and see if it can see your machine.
    This is actually a great idea.

Also, check Control Panel -> Network Connections to make sure there's actually a LAN connection for that machine. If not, you may need to install LAN drivers.

templewulf on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So I have still not heard a response on this, what IP is the OP getting? I am sure you can Google how to find that out. Before we are going anywhere near the internet you are going to need an IP address from the router.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Is your new computer vista?

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    When i put in 192.168.1.1, I got a request for a login and password which I have either forgotten or never had in the first place. The new computer is XP with service pack 2. Umm, i won't be able to get on said computer and the internet until i can shoo my family away from it and with it being mid-winter break for the little one, that won't be for a while so I guess I am stuck with them for now.

SHOOT ME NOW

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Try admin as user and admin or password as the password. These are the common ones. You can also find the router manual online that has the default user/pass.

And since it does prompt you, your NIC is working, so i'm still not sure what you are actually installing.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Linksys products use login "admin" and password "admin". If you've changed them and forgotten, you may need to reset your router to factory defaults with the recessed "reset" button on the back of the box.

If you can't connect, try turning off the computer, the modem and the router (just unplug it for a minute). Then plug the modem back in first, let it run for a minute. Then plug in the router, then the computer last. It shouldn't really matter, but sometimes a device is too stupid to get connected any time other than when you first power it on.

templewulf on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    So I finally have time to work on the new computer and tried starting it from scratch didn't get a connection, although I do have to restart the computer to get it to recognize the mouse and keyboard.

I tried cmd-> ipconfig/all and all I got was

Windows IP Configuration

I also tried typing in 192.168.1.1 and while that does bring me to the options page on my laptop using the login and passwords giving earlier, I am unable to reach the options page with the new desktop.

I also do not have sound on this computer and i cannot make it sleep or hibernate.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Have you installed your network card driver? You should be getting more than one line when you run ipconfig /all. you should get multiple results for each adapter.

stigweard on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    uh, no i didn't, I just plugged the ethernet cord into the port for it on the back to the mother board. It ...dammit, I have to go find the driver disk, shouldn't I?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ya... so you built it and sounds like you forgot to install drivers. I bet device manager has a ton of !!!!'s for unknown devices.

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I added yet another stone in the monument to my stupidity when I started uploading drivers from the Vista cd.

I closed the utility and now its autoloading from the correct cd. I should have noticed something was wrong when I saw that the current progress was filling up fine from the cd and the total progress was- SON OF A WHORE! WHY DID YOU LOG OFF!?!??!

Edit: Okay, I installed the drivers from the Utility cd and I still get nothing when it comes to adapters. Going back into the cd to install more things.

edit2: used the right disk, most things are reconized, installer of drive still crashes at 14%. Going to try restarting everything from scratch. Then looking for more CD's

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Update!!!

So it turns out I had to get the drivers for the Ethernet and video card chipsets because someone felt that it wasn't necessary to ship them with the motherboard. Go figure. Surfing the web right farking now!

RoyceSraphim on