As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

WoW [Chat]: What will Drysc do?

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    To whoever asked a page or two back about the Shartuul event: it takes 30 minutes to complete with Shartuul dead. No matter your skill at doing it it'll always take about that long, probably capping at 35.

Opty on
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    How long can a guild tag be?

Salvation122 on
  • pollofacepolloface Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    815165 wrote: »
    I was suprised to still see "of the Useless" stuff in Outland, too. But then again look at how messed up the enhancement Shaman gear is too.

thats a trick statement, there is no enhancement gear

polloface on
  • DkarrdeDkarrde Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Opty wrote: »
    To whoever asked a page or two back about the Shartuul event: it takes 30 minutes to complete with Shartuul dead. No matter your skill at doing it it'll always take about that long, probably capping at 35.

Actually, you can kill him REALLY fast if you blow a half dozen charged focuses. It's not hard to cut him down a third his total life in the span of one Chaos Strike and its subsequent bonuses to the Assassin if you've already got ten buffets and a siphon life on him.

Dkarrde on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • redstormpopcornredstormpopcorn Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    polloface wrote: »
    I was suprised to still see "of the Useless" stuff in Outland, too. But then again look at how messed up the enhancement Shaman gear is too.
    The non-caster mail all seems to just have agility, AP, stamina, int, and sometimes crit on it. Works pretty well for me as enhancement. Taking +AP over strength isn't much of an issue, since the only other thing strength does is add block rating.

redstormpopcorn on
    emot-kamina.gifBELIEVE IN YOU, WHO BELIEVES IN YOURSELF emot-kamina.gif
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Dkarrde wrote: »
    Actually, you can kill him REALLY fast if you blow a half dozen charged focuses. It's not hard to cut him down a third his total life in the span of one Chaos Strike and its subsequent bonuses to the Assassin if you've already got ten buffets and a siphon life on him.
    I forgot about using Chaos Strike offensively instead of defensively. Even so, that'd only work once or twice before you ran through your stock of focii.

Opty on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    231 days 1 hour 24 mins on Thoma
    8 days 5 hours on my major alt.

Thomamelas on
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Great, except for the person actually 'singing' the lyrics.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Opty wrote: »
    Dkarrde wrote: »
    I forgot about using Chaos Strike offensively instead of defensively. Even so, that'd only work once or twice before you ran through your stock of focii.

I can never get the foci to drop so I'm stingy with them. I just managed my first focus-less kill of him - didn't use any foci, killed shartuul with like 70% of my health left, and got a depleted badge :D I think I have the event on farm status.

DiscoZombie on
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    That's because they buffed dungeon drops in the 2.3 changes but still left all the crappy quest rewards the same, right?

Also, why are there the "of the Wolf" items? What class wants agility and spirit?

I particularly like cloth 'of the wolf' gear. you could make an argument for hunters using agi and spirit, if they want to mana regen while they auto-shoot, but a CLOTH user? hmmmm...

maybe a melee warlock firestone build? =P

DiscoZombie on
  • poisnedcokepoisnedcoke Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The non-caster mail all seems to just have agility, AP, stamina, int, and sometimes crit on it. Works pretty well for me as enhancement. Taking +AP over strength isn't much of an issue, since the only other thing strength does is add block rating.

strength is good since it allows kings to actually be worthwhile for the shaman. Every other physical dps class gets a big boost from having kings because it directly increases their stats which increase their ap. With all ap you don't get that boost.

poisnedcoke on
    I'm trilltastic, trilldacious even!
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The problem is that while there is mail that's ok for shamans, there's a tonne of leather that's miles better, loads of shamans I know skip on their tier sets because of this.

815165 on
  • poisnedcokepoisnedcoke Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The problem is that while there is mail that's ok for shamans, there's a tonne of leather that's miles better, loads of shamans I know skip on their tier sets because of this.

That's not the problem, the problem is the reason the leather is better, which is the lack of strength on mail and the amount of intellect they put on mail gear.

poisnedcoke on
    I'm trilltastic, trilldacious even!
  • the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm about 30% of a level from finally getting my first character to 40 (VERY casual player here...what with the wife and kid and job and all...so don't judge me!). Problem is, I've only got about 30 gold to my name, so a mount is a long way away. Best tips I can find online for some quick gold is to grind on Rock Elementals (regular and lesser) in the Badlands, should net me about 8 gold an hour. Anyone else concur? Or have a different approach worth trying? Hunter with Leatherworking/Skinning leveled up high, for the record. Oh, and a dorf.

thx

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
    edited March 2008
    I did 38-40 grinding on those elementals, made about 60g per level.

Was pretty boring though.

edit: this is on a warrior, so it'll be alot faster for you

815165 on
  • OscrethOscreth Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm about 30% of a level from finally getting my first character to 40 (VERY casual player here...what with the wife and kid and job and all...so don't judge me!). Problem is, I've only got about 30 gold to my name, so a mount is a long way away. Best tips I can find online for some quick gold is to grind on Rock Elementals (regular and lesser) in the Badlands, should net me about 8 gold an hour. Anyone else concur? Or have a different approach worth trying? Hunter with Leatherworking/Skinning leveled up high, for the record. Oh, and a dorf.

thx
    Skinning is a mint (at least on my alt). The Medium/Thick leather sells for bucketloads, 3-6g a stack on the AH. If you are Alliance, grind the wolves around Aerie Peak in Hinterlands. If Horde, you can probably grind the animals (and early quests) in Feralas. In between parts, quests completed, and AH you can make good money. A day or two later and good luck in the AH you should have your gold. The weekend is upon us and impatient people pay stupid prices for insignificant things.

Check your AH prices first though.

Oscreth on
    Old man, family, works too hard, locked into a routine, but still plays with army men and video games.

If you want to play League of Legends, here is my refer a friend: So I get points
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008

thx

Get back to questing and completely stop spending money and I would wager you'd have money for your mount by 41 or so.

Its a pretty obvious concept but money accumulates surprisingly quickly if you stop spending it.

Dhalphir on
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The new quests in theramore give more gold then most of the older quests too I think. As a skinner, quest where there are animals, at your level, theramore and STV. Postponing leatherworking till you got your epic mount will be worth it probably.

For a bit later, starting around level 45 any greens you get should probably get disenchanted, if you have a guild, look into that. Nether essences and dream dust hold considerable value, at least on my server. Also, if you are running out of bagspace, remember that weapons, even grey ones, vendor for high value, and should never be thrown away.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
    edited March 2008
    Ok, thanks...STV might be the ticket then, as I could probably alternate between gorilla's for leather and continuing on some of the quests I still have there. I really hadn't spent my money on anything lately, it just hasn't been coming in all that fast. I think last night was the first green drop I'd gotten in a couple weeks that I could AH.

the Togfather on
    twit feed
  • LineNoizLineNoiz Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

thx
    I made my 40 mount money by buying the first aid books and listing them on the AH. But, that was Horde side and before Dustwallow Marsh was a good place to go (so I was basically saving some alts a trip out to a boring zone that nobody wanted to go to). Now that people are going there for the new quest hub, though, the prices on those books on my server have plummeted.

I see that alliance side, those books are sold in Arathi Highlands (by this guy). It might be worth it to go there. I'd check your AH and see what "Expert First Aid - Under Wraps," "Manual: Heavy Silk Bandage," and "Manual: Mageweave Bandage" are going for. You can buy all three books for around 2g, so if you can turn around and sell all 3 for at least 4-6g, it would be worth it. Buy a whole bunch, and go list them. But only list like two or three of each book at a time. People will try to undercut you, and if you list your whole stock in one go, you'll never sell them.

LineNoiz on
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    What LineNoiz mentions is how my wife is almost able to afford her Epic Flying mount at level 63. She also sells a lot o'Recipes, mostly ones that are sold by vendors in zones that are a pain in the ass to go to. Putting the flight point at the Rebel camp in STV caused her to stop selling two recipes since people just stopped buying them in the AH. And she gets my Draenei who is exalted with Exodar to buy the Master First Aid, Netherweave and Heavy Netherweave books in Hellfire. I buy 12 of each and mail them off to her AH FA character, who sells them over the next week or so.

And Togfather, your low cash experience is rather common at that level.

Seg on
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I've only been casually playing a few months and my highest character is only 37, but he's already got all the gold he'll need for his mount.
    I did it easily in a single afternoon by farming Blood Elf Bandit Masks on Azuremyst and selling them at the AH for 20-30 gold each. Just get a map of all of the Blood Elf Bandit's spawns, and then cycle around the map killing him. If nobody else is currently hunting him on your server, you should have no trouble getting a few masks. I think the drop rate is around 1 in 10, so it's not too bad.
    And sense people are willing to pay stupid amounts of money for an easily obtained item that provides no bonuses, it's really easy money. The best part is that since it's vendor price is so low, you can put it on the AH for 48 hours for free so you don't lose any money at all.
    You may be able to sell it for even more if you're Horde, since it's a little harder for them to get to Azuremyst (unless they do the graveyard trick to respawn at any graveyard they want).

Lars on
    edited March 2008
    Now those are certainly some interesting tricks.

the Togfather on
    twit feed
    edited March 2008
    I tried the thing with the first aid books, it didn't work. I suck at speculating to accumulate. :(

815165 on
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    There's this one grinding circuit, I believe it starts becoming viable around the early 40s and continues being awesome for at least 5 levels after. The excellence of this spot depends upon you having both Mining and Skinning, but if you've got them, it's fantastic for making money and very good for experience points. (Or at least it used to be and I assume it's still solid).

There's a cave up the road from Booty Bay in Stranglethorn Vale. If you look on this map:
    http://wow.allakhazam.com/images/zones/MapStranglethorn.jpg

And find Crystalvein Mine, there you are. It's full of Basilisks, and it's my all-time favorite grinding spot. Within the cave, you can make a full circuit (it's laid out as a rough circle) and by the time you finish, the mobs should already have respawned at the beginning. You can skin every mob in there, they drop great vendor trash very frequently, and there's also a lot of mine nodes that appear frequently, plus the occasional chest and silver rare mob. If you vendor the trash and auction the skins/ore, you wind up with a ton of gold for each trip. The gold is so good that it's hard to give up even after the experience stops being very rewarding.

So if you need a mount, and you have the proper professions, go there.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So my hunter is 67 now and I'll be hitting 70 soon and getting my epic flyer, at which point I need to work on my crafting profession. Currently I'm a jewelcrafter, with about 150 skill. I won't really be able to make money through any rare recipes and probably not through cutting because our server has one guy with a rather firm monopoly. Do you guys recommend I stick with jewelcrafting for the personal bop recipes, or perhaps switch to engineering(I'm a miner)? I don't know to what degree engineering will be better or worse to level than JC after about 150, but more specifically, I don't know how much use I'll get out of it as a hunter.

In pve, is there anything really beneficial other than jumper cables or repair bots? How valuable is it from a pvp persective?

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Engineering comes with grenades, which for a hunter can be a 3 second get-to-range button. Engineering also gets you exceptionally hot goggles, and a really cool flying mount.

Plus you can make bullets.

Oats on
  • MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Well peer pressure finally broke me down and I started playing WoW 2 days ago. Lvl 9 Orc Warrior. So far the grind isnt as bad as I had heard but I guess the grind REALLY starts when you hit lvl 70 right?

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Engineers also get that mote extractor thing which makes farming certain kinds of motes very quick and easy.

Have you considered leatherworking as a hunter? There are some nice items you can make for yourself with dragonscale leatherworking. However unless your other profession is skinning leveling leatherworking could be expensive, and the same with engineering if you aren't a miner. Though I'm guessing if you are/were leveling jewelcrafting you're already a miner.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Oh right, forgot about mote extracting. Is it reasonable to think then that I'd make more money from selling ore and motes as engy/mining, than selling prospected jewels as jewelcrafting?

Ammunition would be a nice bonus, until I hit revered with the Violet Eye.

Engineering and Jewelcrafting are the only crafting professions I'm willing to consider.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    My mage is starting to run out of yellow/orange quests. Between STV/Tanaris/Hinterlands, I've only got 4 yellow q's at the moment and I've picked up all the available quests from the hubs. :|

Tav on
  • TheEmergedTheEmerged Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Level? I seem to recall questing Un'Goro after that triad. I think there are a few Feralas quests left in the high 40's and Blasted Lands too, but I seem to recall hating the Blasted Lands.

TheEmerged on
    Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    edited March 2008
    43... 10k xp from 44.

e: Actually, I have a good few red quests in those areas. Hopefully they'll turn orange when I ding.

Tav on
  • JoonJoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    TheEmerged wrote: »
    Level? I seem to recall questing Un'Goro after that triad. I think there are a few Feralas quests left in the high 40's and Blasted Lands too, but I seem to recall hating the Blasted Lands.

Searing Gorge and Felwood start in the high 40s as well.

Edit: Oh, almost 44. Seems like there should be more in those places for sure. With the experience changes, I've recently leveled a lock and shaman through the 40s. I did most of Tanaris and maybe half of Hinterlands when I was around level 48.

Joon on
    bartsig.png
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Speaking of levels, I need levels for a level 22-24 hordey.
    My Paladin, Warlock, and Hunter (BElf, Orc, and Troll, in case that's any difference) are all pretty much running around Stonetalon and Ashenvale (Pally and Lock in Stonetalon, Hunter in Ashenvale) pretty much just doing one or two yellow quests, then some green quests.

It's really quite aggravating. I'm leveling a Shaman and a Priest too (Alts ahoy! To keep me from killing myself after grinding money for my epic flier on my Mage...Mission Complete, I might add) and they're both low in level (Shaman is 17, Priest is 14? I think?) and they're both tucked away in Silverpine and seem to be doing fine, but I dunno how long this will last.

The Muffin Man on
    edited March 2008
    My Paladin, Warlock, and Hunter (BElf, Orc, and Troll, in case that's any difference) are all pretty much running around Stonetalon and Ashenvale (Pally and Lock in Stonetalon, Hunter in Ashenvale) pretty much just doing one or two yellow quests, then some green quests.

It's really quite aggravating. I'm leveling a Shaman and a Priest too (Alts ahoy! To keep me from killing myself after grinding money for my epic flier on my Mage...Mission Complete, I might add) and they're both low in level (Shaman is 17, Priest is 14? I think?) and they're both tucked away in Silverpine and seem to be doing fine, but I dunno how long this will last.

I have 2/3 hordies in the mid 20's who I just can't play because the areas suck. Alliance leveling at those levels is so much better.

Tav on
  • LineNoizLineNoiz Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

On my pally, I spent a lot of time in Hilsbrad, Ashenvale, and Southern Barrens until around 25. After 25, I went to Thousand Needles until 30, then off to Arathi, Alterac Mountains, STV, and some more Thousand Needles (the Shimmering Flats area) to 39, then Dustwallow to 41 and that is where I'm at now. It will probably hold me over to 43 or so, when I plan on heading over to either Feralas or Swap of Sorrows. Maybe badlands - I've never actually quested in there.

You could probably hit Dustwallow around 35, because when I got there most of the quests that didn't involve the dragons or the new goblin town were already green.

20s aren't bad because you level pretty fast on just a few quests. It's the 30s that hurt. Most zones only have a few quests that don't give you enough levels before the quests go red, so you have to go to some other zone and do some stuff there (or grind on mobs, and boy, do I hate grinding on mobs).

LineNoiz on
  • Invoice NinjaInvoice Ninja Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Dudes. Got some boring questions for those of you with Druids.

I want a boomkin. Not for playing through to 70. Not for PVP. Not for raiding. I want it purely for social reasons. I spend a decent amount of time in the game BS'ing with real-life friends, and I find an infinite amount of joy in the prospect of doing so as an over-sized fuzzy bird/bear/elk thing with the coolest dance ever. I'd just ding 40 and hold her there for all eternity as a bank alt.

Here's what I need to know!
    1. Does it force you out of the form if you enter a building? (IE: Like how you're dismounted or kicked out of ghost wolf if you step into the AH)
    2. Do any of the action-emotes still work? (IE: Sitting, waving, sleeping, etc)
    3. Does it do anything to your language, or can you still /say, etc normally?

I also think this would make for a great comfort-shield when dealing with the adorable-yet-scary RP people on our server. They're usually well-established and great to deal with in a trade-sense, but oh god why are you hitting on my poor elf?! /run

Just some curiosities before I went about making it happen. Thanks in advance :D

Invoice Ninja on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Dudes. Got some boring questions for those of you with Druids.

I want a boomkin. Not for playing through to 70. Not for PVP. Not for raiding. I want it purely for social reasons. I spend a decent amount of time in the game BS'ing with real-life friends, and I find an infinite amount of joy in the prospect of doing so as an over-sized fuzzy bird/bear/elk thing with the coolest dance ever. I'd just ding 40 and hold her there for all eternity as a bank alt.

Here's what I need to know!
    1. Does it force you out of the form if you enter a building? (IE: Like how you're dismounted or kicked out of ghost wolf if you step into the AH)
    2. Do any of the action-emotes still work? (IE: Sitting, waving, sleeping, etc)
    3. Does it do anything to your language, or can you still /say, etc normally?

I also think this would make for a great comfort-shield when dealing with the adorable-yet-scary RP people on our server. They're usually well-established and great to deal with in a trade-sense, but oh god why are you hitting on my poor elf?! /run

Just some curiosities before I went about making it happen. Thanks in advance :D

1: No. I'm pretty sure, at least.
    2: yes. some emotes are different
    3: Doesn't do anything to the language

Dhalphir on
This discussion has been closed.