As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sell me an Xbox 360

SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited February 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So I figure it's only a matter of time before I buy one. Not least of all because I already have GTAIV on pre-order. However, I've hit up on a bit of confusion due to their being 3(4) systems to choose from, so I need you guys to sell me the right system for me.

At a glance, it would seem that the only option would be the Elite version, because I'm an elitist. And also because it would appear to be the most comprehensive bundle, biggest HDD etc. However, I'm reading over some stuff and people seem to suggest (by people I mean amazon public reviewers, which are probably sub-human) that contrary to instinct, the cheapest, Arcade bundle is actually the best option because it features the newer chipset that won't RROD and it has HDMI output.

So is that really the best option, or is it bunk? If it is the best option, what do I do about HDD drives? Is second hand eBay valid or do I fork out £70 for a new one? I'm sure the Arcade has 'all I need to start playing' but lets be serious here, what other stuff do I also need in practical terms? Is there any justifiable reason for the Halo special edition system to exist?

I'm in the UK and I'll be using this on a crappy CRT TV for at least a few months, although we'll be getting a decent hi def TV eventually. Cost-saving is a concern, but not if it results in me getting a sub-standard piece of kit. I'm not even going to touch a second-hand console. I also don't fancy importing. My TV can handle NTSC but I don't want to have to import games as well and I'm not interested in chipping or any of that faf.

Szechuanosaurus on

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Probably the best thing to do would be to go to a retailers website such as bestbuy.com back here in North America and compare what each console bundle comes with, and what it would cost to replace the items missing from the bundle with standalone accessories.

IE: One bundle has no HDD, and is $40 cheaper, however the HDD costs $60

Same thing with the HDTV cables etc, I hear you can get a pretty good set from NewEgg, but not sure if that was for the 360 or PS3.

I seem to recall the Arcade bundle being geared towards people who were going to purchase games from the Xbox Live Arcade, but I dont remember the rest of the details.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Don't take into account user-written reviews you find online. At all.

I bought an Arcade thinking the same thing, that it shipped with the new chipset and was thus free of any threat from the RRoD. When I got it home, I read online how to check to see if it had the new chipset, and it didn't. Ruined my fucking day in a big way. Just something to consider.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    It comes with 5 free games, but basically other than that, it's just the economy bundle akin to the old Core pack. My main interest in it stems from the possibility that it uses the newer chipset while the Premium and Elite still use the old chipset. If this isn't the case, then the Premium probably makes the most sense cost-wise. I don't particularly want to buy a console that's going to die on it's arse, and considering the RROD figures to date are somewhere around 30-40% of total units sold IIRC, I'd really rather prefer to not invest in the older system if at all possible. I'm just not sure if the claim is true or not.

Edit: So, Triple B, is it just a lottery then? Is the Arcade the only bundle that you have a chance of getting the new chips in or is there a chance they turn up in the other bundles as well?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm pretty sure most of the Premiums you'd find in stores now have the new chipset and HDMI. Back in November my launch 360 RRoDd me. I have a product replacement plan from Best Buy, so I just took it back and they let me get a new one right off the shelf. The SKU tag specifically said it came equipped with HDMI (something like XBOX HDMI), so that's what you should look for. Should say somewhere on the box, too, if I'm not mistaken.

RocketSauce on
  • GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I ordered a Premium w/ HDMI online a few weeks ago and it has the new Falcon chipset. Two ways to tell if it's the newest chipset: On the box, if it says 175W, it's a new one. Even if doesn't (like mine did), you can tell by actually looking at the power supply itself and see if it's 175W. Of course, that would require opening it.

Honestly the Elite doesn't seem worth the extra $100 unless you really want the black finish. Other than that, it's a bigger hard drive and includes an HDMI cable (which are $5 online).

Ganluan on
    edited February 2008
    Ok, cool. I guess the only other question is if the 20gb hard drive is sufficient? Is that going to fill up quickly through general use? I don't forsee putting much if any music on it.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    20gb is fine if you don't save everything you play or don't plan on adding a lot of movies and music. If you save a lot of demos and arcade games, it fills up quick. Most of the big-name demos that come out are at least a GB, and you can only use something like 13gb of the 20gb for storage - the rest is OS and overhead stuff.

Hensler on
  • mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm fine with my 20 GB hard drive. I have about 5 gig free at the moment. Gotta delete some old demos though. I don't see myself needing more space.

mooshoepork on
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm pretty sure most of the Premiums you'd find in stores now have the new chipset and HDMI. Back in November my launch 360 RRoDd me. I have a product replacement plan from Best Buy, so I just took it back and they let me get a new one right off the shelf. The SKU tag specifically said it came equipped with HDMI (something like XBOX HDMI), so that's what you should look for. Should say somewhere on the box, too, if I'm not mistaken.

I have one of the new premiums with HDMI - it does NOT have the new chipset - the power brick is still rated 203w or whatever. The new chipset requires less power and the brick is something like 170w. Or thereabouts.

However, what the XBoxes with the HDMI AND the old chipset do have is a new and bigger heatsink. Basically, if you get an XBox with HDMI, your chance of RROD is much reduced whether you have the new chipset or not.

I have the 20GB HD and it's more like a 15GB HD (I deleted basically everything but the essentials and it says 13.3 GB free, <1 GB used). However, the only content I've downloaded is for Rock Band, so it works for me. If DLC is a big deal to you, getting the Elite and it's bigger HDD may be worthwhile.

Nova_C on
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So, Triple B, is it just a lottery then? Is the Arcade the only bundle that you have a chance of getting the new chips in or is there a chance they turn up in the other bundles as well?

I'm guessing it was just a case of them having not sold all the units with the old chipset yet, and you've probably got a better chance at getting the 65nm chip now than you did 2 months ago when I bought mine. I just have eternal shit luck and managed to get fucked with one of the old ones. Pissed me off, because my first 360 died after 2 years of use to a problem that wasn't the RRoD. That meant I didn't get it fixed for free and was just as well off buying a new one. That's why I was so set on getting one with the new chipset. God, it still pisses me off today. :x

As for the other bundles, I don't know. The best bet is to just find the item number that you need to find on the back of the console (I believe there's a hole in the box through which you can see the number), and if it's over a certain number, then it has the new chipset. I don't know the details, you'd have to look it up.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
    edited February 2008
    Cool, this has been a big help guys. Sounds like I should actually go into a shop to buy one rather than buying one online so that I can check the serial numbers and wattage on the box before purchase. I reckon I can forgo the bigger hdd just now. I can always upgrade later if necessary, right?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Upgrading your HDD and keeping any purchased downloaded games working offline is apparently a bitch. Something to do with the way Live licenses work, when you transfer your data to a new machine your purchased games will revert to trial-mode when not connected to Live. Or something.

Having said that, MS support have occasionally refunded all the dollars (in microsoft point form) spent allowing you to rebuy anything you want in such circumstances. Apparently. There doesnt seem to be a hard/fast policy on this issue. Sucks!

However, if you're not planning on doing downloadable movies/tv etc, 20 gigs is pretty much all you'd need. Live Arcade games are pretty small and demos can be deleted/redownloaded etc to your hearts content.

desperaterobots on
  • GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I don't know about where you live, but when I bought mine a few weeks ago there were ZERO non-Arcade 360s within a 30 miles radius of my house - that's why I ended up ordering online. From what I've heard ordering from Amazon gives you a pretty good shot at getting the Falcon chipset. Just something to think about if you can't find any nearby; it sounds like MS is letting supply dry up right now.

That's another thing to consider - there are rumors of a new SKU very soon, so you may be better off waiting just a bit.

Ganluan on