Options

Microsoft GDC Keynote thread - Gears 2 Nov / Fable 2 Co-Op / Demos on XBL after show

• Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Klyka wrote: »
    Why is everyone against the dog? He even sacrifices himself against ogres and stuff for you!

The dog may end up being what I buy Fable 2 for. I love that idea so much.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    Sorenson wrote: »
    So the second dude can't bring his dog in co-op? I'm hoping this means that

A) The dog isn't essential and you have other means of getting whatever information it provides, and

B} You can get rid of the dog without repricussion.

C] the game is engineered with only one dog in mind

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Why is everyone against the dog? He even sacrifices himself against ogres and stuff for you!

He will never replace Dogmeat in my heart. :(

I am anal about knowing almost what my health and magic are at instead of a general indicator.

Couscous on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    C] the game is engineered with only one dog in mind
    Having the dog try and represent the state of both players would be awful wierd, though, like hooking up two people to a single EKG machine.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    NexusSixNexusSix Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

The dog is going to be awesome. And he won't sacrifice himself because I will protect him with my life. And if the dog does die over the course of the game, I will slaughter entire cities in a violent fury of righteous indignation.

I will name my dog Omega Destroyer.

NexusSix on
    REASON - Version 1.0B7 Gatling type 3 mm hypervelocity railgun system
    Ng Security Industries, Inc.
    PRERELEASE VERSION-NOT FOR FIELD USE - DO NOT TEST IN A POPULATED AREA
    -ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    GameVideos link to Gears 2 teaser. Be forewarned that "teaser" is really all it is -- just very simple CG, nothing particularly exciting. I would have liked something with a little more meat to it, akin to the Mad World teaser for Gears 1 that everyone (myself included) loved.

Still, I'm incredibly pumped, and I'm a bit intrigued by Fable 2. I've never even so much as though of the first one due to all the nerd rage over the game and Molyneux, but how does it hold up nowadays?

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Is... is it just me or does Ninja Gaiden II just look... well... not that good at all. Everything looks so... plastic.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I wonder how the XNA thing in the marketplace will work alongside the dev version on my 360. Guess I'll find out tonight.

This is great and motivating to accelerate my current projects. And if we can upload to the community soon I'll update the thing in my sig for all of you guys to have fun with.

BTW the games showed at Microsofts booth were finalists of the DreamBuildPlay warm-up AI contest. The games were all made in less than a month and the goal was to devellop AI's not full games.

Handkor on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I am excited for both Gears of War 2 (after reading what Eurogamer had to say about the UE3 upgrades, sounds sweeeeet), and Fable 2. Seriously, they both sound frickin' awesome.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    I am excited for both Gears of War 2 (after reading what Eurogamer had to say about the UE3 upgrades, sounds sweeeeet), and Fable 2. Seriously, they both sound frickin' awesome.

Larger locust crowds will make the cover system really fun, you'll barely get a chance to popup while they flank you.

Handkor on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Because it feels...I don't know, out of place? I hate being saddled with an NPC in a game like this. Just absolutely loathe it. Let me do my badass adventuring with only my own safety to worry about.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Fiaryn wrote: »

Because it feels...I don't know, out of place? I hate being saddled with an NPC in a game like this. Just absolutely loathe it. Let me do my badass adventuring with only my own safety to worry about.

You don't have to worry about the dog.

Dog takes care of himself.

You have to worry about being an asshole who doesn't love the little doggy.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

I don't want to have to worry about him for anything. But I'll feel bad about showing no affection to the doggie, so I'll end up doing something I'd really rather not.

It just rubs me the wrong way to be FORCED to have the dog for no real reason.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I hate dogs, both real and virtual.

These days I leave the dog in RE4 to rot.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

I don't want to have to worry about him for anything. But I'll feel bad about showing no affection to the doggie, so I'll end up doing something I'd really rather not.

You don't have to have the dog. They've said that. Run away from it and it will eventually give up.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Captain ElevenCaptain Eleven The last card is a kronk Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Screw Fable 2 and Gears 2, I want a PAA demo dangit!

Captain Eleven on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008

You don't have to have the dog. They've said that. Run away from it and it will eventually give up.

Guilt city, that would be. Is it too much to ask that we just have an option of getting the dog or not getting the dog, rather than being started with it and having to be a dick to get rid of it?

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Guilt city, that would be. Is it too much to ask that we just have an option of getting the dog or not getting the dog, rather than being started with it and having to be a dick to get rid of it?

Thant and I'm pretty sure that you've screwed yourself out of an end game style reward or extra loot along the way.

Handkor on
  • Options
    reach42reach42 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    but abandoning the dog would make a worthless cunt barely fit to live.

It means you. have. no. soul.

reach42 on
    reach42.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    From what I've followed of Fable 2, the whole idea is to make you care and if you feel like a dick for abandoning the dog, its working right. If you take it with you, you might find it the best ally and NPC character you've ever known. Who knows.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited February 2008
    geez loise fiaryn, did you whine every time a game doesn't give you a choice about something or do you just hate dogs?

'save cortana from the flood? but i don't wanna!'

bongi on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Who here killed the dragon but didn't save the princess in Dragon Quest 1?

Handkor on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    bongi wrote: »
    geez loise fiaryn, did you whine every time a game doesn't give you a choice about something or do you just hate dogs?

I'm going to assume you're joking, but in case you're not:

Yeah I DO have a problem with not having a choice, particularly when it's about highly unnecessary shit. In an adventure game, being saddled with an NPC with no real choice is not appealing. And no, Cortana and the Dog are in no way equitable. I'm not even going to pretend that's a legitimate analogy, you shouldn't either. Stop that. What really irritates me more than anything though is that they do give you a choice but it's slanted as all get out. Better no choice than a heavily slanted one.

"Oh sure you can not have the dog, just crush your empathy first and you're a-go!" :|

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited February 2008

Yeah I DO have a problem with not having a choice, particularly when it's about highly unnecessary shit. In an adventure game, being saddled with an NPC with no real choice is not appealing. And no, Cortana and the Dog are in no way equitable. I'm not even going to pretend that's a legitimate analogy, you shouldn't either. Stop that. What really irritates me more than anything though is that they do give you a choice but it's slanted as all get out. Better no choice than a heavily slanted one.

"Oh sure you can not have the dog, just crush your empathy first and you're a-go!" :|
    alyx vance

bongi on
  • Options
    ZombieXZombieX Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Holy shit, the dishwasher game is awesome

ZombieX on
    Undead+Hero%20X.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008

alyx vance

Never played through Half-Life 2, the game bored me to death. Couldn't give you a reason either, it's kinda odd.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Argh I need to get back onto Marketplace but my girl is watching the bloody Brits and creaming over Dave Grohl!

I need mah HD trailers and demos!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

alyx vance

Never played through Half-Life 2, the game bored me to death. Couldn't give you a reason either, it's kinda odd.

So you just hate good games. Gotcha!

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    ZombieX wrote: »
    Holy shit, the dishwasher game is awesome

Yeah last years DreamBuildPlay winner did some awesome work. Can't wait to play it.

Handkor on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008

So... games should be full of choices, but not so much with consequences?

I mean, this kind of thing annoys me sometimes, too (the RTS bolted onto Space Rangers 2, various types of tedious crap in RPGs), and I'm mildly offended when there's a trade-off between being bored/annoyed and loot, but it's not so much a choice thing so much as not liking bad RTSes, annoying NPCs, etc.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    So you just hate good games. Gotcha!

I think I'm allergic to Half-Life or something. I love everything else Valve produces, but the moment Half-Life enters the equation I go right to fucking sleep.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

alyx vance

It's not that odd. The game is a tedious snooze-fest

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I hate in super metroid how if you don't save the creatures they all die. It makes me feel like a dick. Worst game mechanic ever.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Orogogus wrote: »

Oh come on, you know as well as I do this isn't even anywhere in the post. The implication of the two bolded parts is that I don't like not having choices but I'd rather have none than a false choice. The problem with the dog is that it's something you never get to opt to take or not take. You're saddled with it and told "Hey, but you can get rid of it as long as you have no problem with being a complete asshole".

Does nothing about this seem a bit loaded to you? Nothing at all?

Why can't we just have the option of obtaining the dog or NOT obtaining the dog instead? It seems like such a simple thing.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Greg USN wrote: »

alyx vance

I am confused. I know what all these words mean, but I can't comprehend the sentence.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Axen wrote: »
    Greg USN wrote: »

alyx vance

I am confused. I know what all these words mean, but I can't comprehend the sentence.

Half-Life 2 =
    baby460.jpg

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008

Oh come on, you know as well as I do this isn't even anywhere in the post. The implication of the two bolded parts is that I don't like not having choices but I'd rather have none than a false choice. The problem with the dog is that it's something you never get to opt to take or not take. You're saddled with it and told "Hey, but you can get rid of it as long as you have no problem with being a complete asshole".

I do think the being a complete asshole bit is hitting you a lot harder than me, yes. And there's the fact that video games are basically filled with false choices, because a) they're trying to tell a story and b) games generally aren't Matrix style virtual worlds that can account for every potential action and reaction.

Also, I played Nethack, and eventually inured myself to virtual cruelty to animals that were forced upon you with no choice. So there's that, too. Still haven't brought myself to slaughter cats for bones in Dwarf Fortress, though.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    What's it feel like to be utterly wrong about something?

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    gleep-glopgleep-glop Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Why can't we just have the option of obtaining the dog or NOT obtaining the dog instead? It seems like such a simple thing.

You always have the option of not buying the game.

gleep-glop on
    Gricon.jpg
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So, is the co-op in Fable 2 online only, two people same console, system link or did they not reveal yet. If it's same console, my sister will go out and buy it day one before I get the chance to just to play co-op.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg