Options

Microsoft GDC Keynote thread - Gears 2 Nov / Fable 2 Co-Op / Demos on XBL after show

• Options
    ultrapeanutultrapeanut Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, the shift blade is incredibly fun to fuck around with. Dishwasher was way, way better than I expected any of these XNA demos to be.

I'm also going against all of my better judgement and looking forward to Fable 2. Please don't screw it up too badly, Molyneaux.

ultrapeanut on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Dishwasher is not what I was expecting at all. But yeah, it was pretty good. Slick animation, good 'feel', very nice menus. I liked the way he/they did cutscenes.

Could use a bit more skill or involved controls, or at least have that skill more accessible. I found myself button mashing all the way through it, and doing just fine. Also, A as jump? In a modern fighter/sidescroller? Should have been analog-up.

Other than that.. I'd pay for it.

Jellycar was a pale imitation of Elastomania, I'm sorry. It was like Elastomania with all the skill removed.

If you've never played Elastomania... www.elastomania.com

I really liked the flower growing game (whatever it was called) on the conceptual level. Got boring for me quickly, there wasn't enough strategy, but I think with some of that added (maybe limited amounts of different colours, user-selectable with the face buttons, so you have to use your resources wisely?), and slightly more cartoony, brighter colours, it could be a great game for kids.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    Everyone keeps mentioning Jelly Car.. am I missing something? I tried it, I drove my tilty, wobbly car from left to right, hit the exit.. and that's it. End of demo. It was basically no different to the many, many Flash games I see every week when I'm bored. Culture started off nicely, but ran out of ideas before it got going.
    Now Dishwasher? That's a game I'm buying on release because goodness me is that refined awesome and beauty.

did you play any of the other levels? if you press down on the stick in the main menu you can select other levels.

What's got two thumbs and looks like a retard?
    me..

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    bongi wrote: »
    so you like games that are glorified pulp trash fantasy novels and not games that are actually games

okay

God-damn dude I'm so sorry that HL2 bored the shit out of me. I'll buy you a puppy or something to make you feel better. As I said before there is nothing to argue about. I thought it sucked... deal with it.
    :roll:

Back on topic...
    I think that the dog is pretty great if properly implemented, however in a game about freedom of choise I can see why some users here may be frustrated if it is forced on you. I like the idea of giving it to a child or an old widow or something, ditching him in the wild is pretty crule. I hope there is a stero-typical movie like "getting rid of the dog" Mini-game. That would clearly be the best solution. Or maybe you can old yeller him >=D

Go on boy get out of here!!

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Greg USN wrote: »
    so you like games that are glorified pulp trash fantasy novels and not games that are actually games

okay

God-damn dude I'm so sorry that HL2 bored the shit out of me. I'll buy you a puppy or something to make you feel better. As I said before there is nothing to argue about. I thought it sucked... deal with it.

I think he was more attacking your like for Lost Odyssey with that one, specifically. Not taking sides or anything, of course.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Fiaryn wrote: »

okay

I think he was more attacking your like for Lost Odyssey with that one, specifically. Not taking sides or anything, of course.

Yeah but he was attacking it mainly because I don't like HL2. It's like I made a comment that I like peas but not carrots and he comes back with 'how can you like peas? Carrots are so much better! You like things that suck! ololz'. I would be interested to know if he even played Lost Odyssey all the way through before making a rather bold statement like that (highly doubtful). He can check my gamer-score to verify that I indeed played through HL2, EP1, and EP2. Thus I am actually qualified to make that statement. This whole argument is really pointless though. I am not attacking him for liking a game, and don't see the need for him to attack me for disliking one.

I played 3 of the XNA games so far but Dishwasher really stands out. The whole time I was playing it all I could think of was "this basic 2D game is better then over half of the shovel-ware that the industry pumps out for all 3 major consoles weekly". I was skeptical of the power that XNA could have but after playing Dishwasher... I believe!

Granted, I think that maybe 1 in 10 XNA games will be of that quality but thats what the peer reviews are for. I am looking forward to this thing launching full force.

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The most important part of the peer review system will be the suggestions given to the games to make them better and more polished before allowing them to be released. Sometimes it will be stupid things like "You're missing a way to quit back to the main menu once the game is started" but these ideas help a lot. Imagine how different the niventory could have been in Mass Effect if the game had to be tested by the whole community.

Handkor on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I think my biggest fear is that all of these games will be 800 itchy-and-scratchy-dollars when they are released proper.

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    From the FAQ it says that the games can be free or the creators can charge. I am personally planning on making free games and there are a lot of people like me. Yes the option of chargeing is always there but many will realize that it takes a pretty high level of polish to be worth money. I find even some XBLA games should have been free. Seriously would you rather make a little money and have no one play your game or have tons of people enjoying the game for free. $ vs rep.

Handkor on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I think my biggest fear is that all of these games will be 800 itchy-and-scratchy-dollars when they are released proper.

Why?

Do you perceive XNA development as being the same as free flash games on a PC?

It's supposed to be a conduit for indie developers to get some product out there on the consoles. Even XBLA games require pretty large teams, publishers and all sorts of QA guys. With XNA you can have one guy make a game and publish it on XBL and make some money. Maybe a small team of programmers just starting a company.

Good games are worth the money most of the time. I have no qualms with buying games of Dishwashers quality if it means more product will come.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, looking over the list of levels in The Dishwasher, that game will easily be worht 800pts if all that's filled.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Man, despite the massive disappointment that Fable was for me I find myself more and more curious about Fable 2. I'm still not sold about the simplified combat but I've learned that one should never listen to what Molyneux says and wait for more concrete info.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »

Why?

It's supposed to be a conduit for indie developers to get some product out there on the consoles. Even XBLA games require pretty large teams, publishers and all sorts of QA guys. With XNA you can have one guy make a game and publish it on XBL and make some money. Maybe a small team of programmers just starting a company.

Good games are worth the money most of the time. I have no qualms with buying games of Dishwashers quality if it means more product will come.

Sorry, I should have stressed the all in my sentance, that really is my fault.

Some of the games featured are not really worth that much, other's are. I agree that Dishwasher is probablly worth 800pts but I wouldn't pay for Jelly Car (I can play crayon physics flash game for free). If the develpers are free to charge what they see fit thats a huge plus. I agree that they should be compensated for their hard work.

I hope if there is a fee that they get a majority of the cut.

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hmm...I'll have to try this Dishwasher game you guys are talking about. Question though...is there a scene where the player controller walks into a bar and everyone grows silent. Then, in a hushed tone, someone asks "Who is that?" then an elderly man stays plainly, "That...that's the Dishwasher."

As for Fable, I'll say it once like I've said it before. Fable on it's own wasn't really that bad a game(though way too short for an RPG)...I just think the hype machine got to it. And I won't lie, I'd been following Fable back when it was first announced for the Xbox(since it was an RPG on the Xbox...OMG). I was as disappointed as everyone else, but I didn't think it was a complete failure. Hopefully, the sequel will give us what the first one promised(at least to some degree).

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Why?

Sorry, I should have stressed the all in my sentance, that really is my fault.

Some of the games featured are not really worth that much, other's are. I agree that Dishwasher is probablly worth 800pts but I wouldn't pay for Jelly Car (I can play crayon physics flash game for free). If the develpers are free to charge what they see fit thats a huge plus. I agree that they should be compensated for their hard work.

I hope if there is a fee that they get a majority of the cut.

Ok I totally agree then. Seeing as the developers can seemingly set the price, I expect a mixed bunch of feature complete games for like 400 or 800. finished product.

maybe a bunch of concept games or nigh on tech demos going for free.

getting your shit on XBL is a major step to producing and getting interest in a finished product.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Hmm...I'll have to try this Dishwasher game you guys are talking about. Question though...is there a scene where the player controller walks into a bar and everyone grows silent. Then, in a hushed tone, someone asks "Who is that?" then an elderly man stays plainly, "That...that's the Dishwasher."

heh heh no. :lol:

I recently bought Professor Layton for my wife and told her I would take over playing it if he said: "Hmm... There is something curious about this village...

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    Captain ElevenCaptain Eleven The last card is a kronk Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    As for Fable, I'll say it once like I've said it before. Fable on it's own wasn't really that bad a game(though way too short for an RPG)...I just think the hype machine got to it. And I won't lie, I'd been following Fable back when it was first announced for the Xbox(since it was an RPG on the Xbox...OMG). I was as disappointed as everyone else, but I didn't think it was a complete failure. Hopefully, the sequel will give us what the first one promised(at least to some degree).

The problem with Fable is that Molyneux promised us KITT, and we got a Ford Taurus.

Captain Eleven on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited February 2008

okay

calm down honeybunch, i'm being sarcastic

bongi on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

getting your shit on XBL is a major step to producing and getting interest in a finished product.

Bingo. I really hope that this is Microsoft's major focus. Sure, they need to make money off it too. But giving independant developers a forum to showcase their ideas and innovations could be megaton huge. Not just for Microsoft, but all parties involved, including gamers. I was glancing at Kotaku's live blog meeting with Microsoft and they stated that once the games go live the Developers get to retain the rights to their IP's, so at this early point I think that the 'get it'. Time will tell if this will all pan out but I think that this is very promising. It's almost like they took LBP's idea of 'hey you can make your own game with these limited tools and enviroments' and came back with 'fuck you! here you can make your own games'. But that really is comparing apples to oranges, and that being said LBP looks awsome in its own write. However giving Developers a blank canvas is borderline revolutionary.

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I've heard it referred to as GameTube somewhere.

In that, similar to youtube, 90% of the content is shite. but every so often you get a fucking goldmine.

Wise of MS to separate it from the regular XBLA, mainly because they have strict quality control for XBLA, and XNA stuff looks like it could very well be a mixed bag of finished games, ideas and demos.

Great really. I mean its better than nothing.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I'm now wondering what the next Xbox will be like. I wouldn't mind betting they'll have an even bigger "user-generated content" angle, pushing the likes of Live Arcade and XNA even harder than they are now.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I'd imagine it will be much more of a media centre. Wouldnt surprise me if it had inbuilt IPTV and all that jazz.

If there is one thing that MS has really had tremendous success with it is XBLA.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Silpheed wrote: »
    Man, despite the massive disappointment that Fable was for me I find myself more and more curious about Fable 2. I'm still not sold about the simplified combat but I've learned that one should never listen to what Molyneux says and wait for more concrete info.
    I'm playing Assassin's Creed at the moment, and I have to say, despite the combat being hugely simplified, I actually find it very satisfying, and a whole bunch of fun.

Since Fable 2 will at least throw guns and magic (and environmental elements, and co-op, and a dog...) into the mix, hopefully it will be pretty good!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ah, back to the grammar-less Bongi we know and love.

Anyway, on Fable 2. People asked earlier in this thread if indeed jobs are the ONLY way to earn gold. From a post on Wired's Game/Life blog, it turns out the answer is yes.
    Fable 2 won't have gold drops the way most RPGs (including its predessor) do. Instead, the only way to earn money is to get a job or to gamble. And by "jobs," Molyneux doesn't mean noble adventurer, he means working class stiff, like a blacksmith or a barman or a shop owner, though you can also earn some coin as an assassin or a henchman.

http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/02/fable-2-its-all.html#more

While working as an assassin or henchman might be kind of like a quest, it looks like gainful employment or risky gambling outside the general plot is indeed the only way to go. Also, Molyneux said you're going to have to earn money for your significant other and kids.

These jobs had better be really fucking fun.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    ...Hmm...that sounds cool. But as risky as gambling is...in a world where save/load functions are readily available it becomes extremely abusable.

Not that I mind, I hate games where you have to grind just to be able to afford equipment that doesn't suck.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Anyway, on Fable 2. People asked earlier in this thread if indeed jobs are the ONLY way to earn gold. From a post on Wired's Game/Life blog, it turns out the answer is yes.
    Fable 2 won't have gold drops the way most RPGs (including its predessor) do. Instead, the only way to earn money is to get a job or to gamble. And by "jobs," Molyneux doesn't mean noble adventurer, he means working class stiff, like a blacksmith or a barman or a shop owner, though you can also earn some coin as an assassin or a henchman.

While working as an assassin or henchman might be kind of like a quest, it looks like gainful employment or risky gambling outside the general plot is indeed the only way to go. Also, Molyneux said you're going to have to earn money for your significant other and kids.

If you join someone elses game world, as in they invite you to their game for co-op, that counts as 'working' as a henchmen. You will earn gold from this.

So you get paid to play with someone else.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Well, apparently there will be a Fable 2 mini-game available for download prior to the release of the actual game in which you will get to create a character and start working jobs to build up your money before things kick off for real.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

That's kind of...weird. What's the point of being an adventurer if you don't get some spoils from your enemies. Seriously, if you are an adventurer, chances are that you aren't looking for a day job anyways.

EDIT: Did Molyneux mention how aging works in Fable 2? Do we still have the retarded Level up one attribute/spell=age 0.7 years or will aging be part of the story instead?

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

If you join someone elses game world, as in they invite you to their game for co-op, that counts as 'working' as a henchmen. You will earn gold from this.

Do we know this for a fact?

This is kind of cool if true, but the fact remains, you have to stop progressing your own story to go grind gold, which sounds like a pain. There's a reason most good RPGs don't make you mindlessly grind for XP anymore.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Yes. 100%. Not only did Molyneux specifically say this he demo'd it live in front of a bunch of journos.

Video is on Gametrailers.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Yes. 100%. Not only did Molyneux specifically say this he demo'd it live in front of a bunch of journos.

Video is on Gametrailers.

Ah, cool. Thanks, the writeups I've read missed that.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Molyneux is a great demonstrator. I like him. He's teh funnehs.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    the best part is that there is no level scaling. if you want to play through the whole game as level one but invite your best friends level 100 character to chomp through everything you can. there are no level restrictions on the co-op.

you can also alter the percentage reward for exp, gold and renown. so if you want to just get all the exp and gold (because your friend doesnt need either) you can set it to 100% for you and 0 for them. but then in reward you can give your friend all of the renown.

item distrivution is also handled the same way.

the thing to make the co-op easier to understand is this:

In Fable 1, you could hire henchmen. NPCs who follow you around and just kill stuff. In co-op, the person you invite to your game IS one of them. a henchment. they can complete quests, do missions with you and all that.

think of it like being in a 2 man party in world of warcraft.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    the best part is that there is no level scaling. if you want to play through the whole game as level one but invite your best friends level 100 character to chomp through everything you can. there are no level restrictions on the co-op.

you can also alter the percentage reward for exp, gold and renown. so if you want to just get all the exp and gold (because your friend doesnt need either) you can set it to 100% for you and 0 for them. but then in reward you can give your friend all of the renown.

item distrivution is also handled the same way.

the thing to make the co-op easier to understand is this:

In Fable 1, you could hire henchmen. NPCs who follow you around and just kill stuff. In co-op, the person you invite to your game IS one of them. a henchment. they can complete quests, do missions with you and all that.

think of it like being in a 2 man party in world of warcraft.

I wonder how the co-op camera will work online, though (he didn't expressly say online co-op was going to be in, but you just know it is, especially his response when someone asked if it would be). For offline co-op, I can understand the one camera view. Online, however, I wonder if they'll let you roam around, at least in the general vicinity, without having to be attached to the host's camera. You know, each player gets their own. I guess we'll just have to wait and see, but I hope they do that.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm playing Assassin's Creed at the moment, and I have to say, despite the combat being hugely simplified, I actually find it very satisfying, and a whole bunch of fun.
    i can't think of a better way to get realistic, exciting looking swordfights in a game than the way assassin's creed does it

bongi on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    i can't think of a better way to get realistic, exciting looking swordfights in a game than the way assassin's creed does it

Ideas are worthless. Execution is everything.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited February 2008

i thought it was well executed too, possibly because i am crappy at all games, and found them to be challenging

bongi on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

i thought it was well executed too, possibly because i am crappy at all games, and found them to be challenging

So did I.

Im not exactly sure who is disagreeing with whom here. I really really enjoyed creed.:lol:

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I've heard it referred to as GameTube somewhere.

In that, similar to youtube, 90% of the content is shite. but every so often you get a fucking goldmine.

Wise of MS to separate it from the regular XBLA, mainly because they have strict quality control for XBLA, and XNA stuff looks like it could very well be a mixed bag of finished games, ideas and demos.

Great really. I mean its better than nothing.

I took some time to look at the IGF (Independent Games Festival) titles. Very cool! If we see more games like that show up on the new Community Games stuff (or anywhere for that matter), it's win-win for everyone. Ideally those creators will want to see their games on PSN or Live Arcade, where they can sell their games and make money ... but I think putting it up for free is a great way to generate buzz. If your game starts doing very well, then it'll be much easier to convince a publisher that your game needs to be on their platform.

JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited February 2008

So did I.

Im not exactly sure who is disagreeing with whom here. I really really enjoyed creed.:lol:
    well

your face!

bongi on