Options

Microsoft GDC Keynote thread - Gears 2 Nov / Fable 2 Co-Op / Demos on XBL after show

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Silpheed wrote:
    ...but I've learned that one should never listen to what Molyneux says and wait for more concrete info.

Well, except each time he's talked about the game, he's actually shown off those features live. He hasn't made any wild claims or described potential features like he did with Fable 1. I think he's learned his lesson, and he even commented on that, and he's only talked about features in Fable 2 that are in the game and that he can demonstrate. When you consider it, he hasn't really talked that much about the game at all.

I'm trying to think of what he's talked about so far. He's talked about the dog, quests don't give gold, you can purchase every building in the game, you can play as either gender, you can get married and have children, co-op, simplified/streamlined combat and interface, more animations... and he's shown pretty much all of these features. I don't think we have to worry too much about Molyneux for Fable 2. :)

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Dashui wrote: »
    Silpheed wrote:
    ...but I've learned that one should never listen to what Molyneux says and wait for more concrete info.

Well, except each time he's talked about the game, he's actually shown off those features live. He hasn't made any wild claims or described potential features like he did with Fable 1. I think he's learned his lesson

I'm pretty sure he said not a few weeks ago some ridiculous comment like 'The AI in Fable 2 is a billion times more advanced than Fable 1'

Something utterly insane like that.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Silpheed wrote:

Well, except each time he's talked about the game, he's actually shown off those features live. He hasn't made any wild claims or described potential features like he did with Fable 1. I think he's learned his lesson

I'm pretty sure he said not a few weeks ago some ridiculous comment like 'The AI in Fable 2 is a billion times more advanced than Fable 1'

I don't think he meant that literally, obviously. And have you seen any of his demonstrations? He likes to make lots of little quirks and jokes. They're fun to watch. :D

Dashui on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    Silpheed wrote:

He said it in an obviously joking manner. He didn't literally mean it's 1,000,000,000,000 better.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    At the very least I'm sure the AI is over 9,000 times better!
    what9000kp3.jpg

[SIZE="-10"]sorry I couldn't resist D=[/SIZE]

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Quick. Where do I go to get these XNA demos at?

Sheep on
  • Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Market place->Games-> then download the XNA launcher. It will add a XNA tab thingey in your games blade (my games) up top. Then press Y to download when you are in there.

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Greg USN wrote: »
    At the very least I'm sure the AI is over 9,000 times better!
    the fuck

[SIZE="-10"]sorry I couldn't resist D=[/SIZE]

My brain you esploded it

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Assassin's Creed = fun and playable
    Fable 2 = looking cool
    XNA demos = sweeeeet

That everything?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Man I just watched the Fable demo and its hilarious at the end. I didn't; feel any heart strings pulling but to see him cap the husband like that and bam, family over. I wonder hwat happens to your kid in that situation.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Man I just watched the Fable demo and its hilarious at the end. I didn't; feel any heart strings pulling but to see him cap the husband like that and bam, family over. I wonder hwat happens to your kid in that situation.

I was hoping someone who have asked that question, but no, stupid ass journalists didn't ask. That's the first thing I thought when he capped the husband, "What happens to the kid?"

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Don't know about immediately, but I'm sure I read the kid can go off to an orphanage.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    Don't know about immediately, but I'm sure I read the kid can go off to an orphanage.

Well thats kind of shit. Are multiple marriages still allowed because then it could join your other family. While it is a nice touch, I don't know if I need my family bitching me out for being out and earning a living.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    What? If the kid's got no parents, he goes to an orphanage. Don't see anything wrong with that.
    I'm sure there's some more information about it all in here http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=93118

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Basically as soon as you (the other parent) leaves that area, their arse is hauled off to join Oliver Twist.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Basically as soon as you (the other parent) leaves that area, their arse is hauled off to join Oliver Twist.

It's a bit crap when they don't give you any real chance there to defend your husband/wife from being murdered. An expensive revival spell maybe? No mention if you can see that kid again afterwards either.

Just seems like a dickish thing to do if you've picked a girl character and have spent in-game 9 months raising them.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I swear to god if any of you fucks kill my husband you are off my friends list.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I mean wife.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I mean wife.

It doesn't have to be them. I'm willing to bet that if you choose the family route there will be a mission that involves the main bad guy putting htem under assault and you saving them by the skin of your teeth.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    You reckon you could romance a felame henchmen?

So your wife joins you on missions and you both kill monsters back to back with matching swords.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    As long as my dog is ok I couldn't give a crap about the trouble-and-strife or any little brats.

I'll have like, seven others, anyway.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    As long as my dog is ok I couldn't give a crap about the trouble-and-strife or any little brats.

I'll have like, seven others, anyway.

I assume they only allow procreation through marriage and they may limit the amount of marriages unlike last time.

It also depends if he can make this 'emotion' stuff work as well as it would with the dog. Dogs are easily lovable and don't really deserve any punishment so you naturally want to look after them. Virtual kids on the other hand you generally want to punt to see if you can actually get away with it.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So, guessing how much Molyneux wants us to love and care for the damn dog you get in Fable 2, I'd say that the chance for the mutt to survive the entire games is slim to none. I doubt that M. would be able to resist the chance to off the dog once you've bonded with it through the game.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I want it to come to the rescue right at the end, a la the dog in Resi 4.

Oh shit, my sword fell into the lava, the dragon is about to destroy me.

DUN DUN DUN DUUUUUUN

Dog jumps out of nowhere and gores the dragon in the back, exploding out the front of its chest like a missile.

Hey thanks boy!

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Silpheed wrote: »
    So, guessing how much Molyneux wants us to love and care for the damn dog you get in Fable 2, I'd say that the chance for the mutt to survive the entire games is slim to none. I doubt that M. would be able to resist the chance to off the dog once you've bonded with it through the game.

He also wants you to keep playing long after the main story is over and the dog is essentially your interface.

If anything, something bad will happen to it but you will be given the opportunity to save him/her. He wants to tug at your heart strings but killing it off would fuck over his own game design.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

I assume they only allow procreation through marriage and they may limit the amount of marriages unlike last time.

What? Why would they only allow procreation through marriage? Damn it, it is my right as a gentlemen with a ton of gold to have a mistress and or harem.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    titmouse wrote: »

What? Why would they only allow procreation through marriage? Damn it, it is my right as a gentlemen with a ton of gold to have a mistress and or harem.

*shrugs*, didn't you have to be married last time?

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

I thought you could fuck anyone, even men, out of wedlock. Just had to stand in front of them and strut like 50 times in a row.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

I thought you could fuck anyone, even men, out of wedlock. Just had to stand in front of them and strut like 50 times in a row.
    No, you could strut and preen as much as you want but they'll just end up asking "for a ring on my finger". So, unfortunatly you need to tie the knot in order to get some sweet lovin'. Unless you have the Lost Chapters version of course, then you get the dubious honor of screwing an 80 year old hag for 10 gold :lol:

Silpheed on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Just like real life!

Seriously though. Can't wait for a PC release.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    korodullin wrote: »

This freaks me out because as I've mentioned before, I'm currently trying to decide between PS3 and 360, and XBLA is the big draw for me (PSN has alot more original content, but XBLA's mix of remastered classics and indie titles gets me more excited). If developers start jumping ship, I may have to reconsider...

Also, I read on either digg or Kotaku that Sony was showing off a software package that recompiles PC code to run on the PS3, making their platform more open to indie developers for PSN content.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    From Wiki. Admittedly.

"In the http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=146894&skip=yes source, they say the main bad guy is named Lucien who will try to harm your family if have one. "

EDIT: In reference to me hypothesising that if you choose to have a family that the main bad guy would attack them which I stated earlier.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Is there a filesize limit on these new indie XBLA games?

LewieP on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I would guess so, if they're supposed to be released on XBLA sooner or later. None of them surpass 150 MB.

But there's talks of raising the limit yet again, due to Capcom pressuring MS by having better graphics in the PS3 version of Bionic Commando Rearmed. I hope it happens, because it's completely inane that the limit is there in the first place, especially if you're paying to develop for the system.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    God, if MS raises the limit a second time, I hope that the Castle Crasher guys don't decide to delay again, no matter what super cool new stuff they could add with the new space...

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Handkor wrote: »
    Lave II wrote: »
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Fable n+1
    Gears of War n+1
    Couldn't give a shit.

THE RETURN OF FUCKING PUBLIC DOMAIN/SHAREWARE/INDIE BEDROOM CODERS

But on a console
    PEER FUCKING REVIEW
    Making Games is open to all developers for £65? Or FREE for students!
    PEER FUCKING REVIEW by other developers.
    You can give certified games away OR charge for them?
    PEER FUCKING REVIEW rather than MS certification (i.e. no overheads)
    The example games (The Dishwasher and Culture) FUCKING ROCK.
    ON A CONSOLE.

This is quite literally my dream come true. If I hadn't had got a 360 (for Live Arcade) this xmas - then this would have lead to insta-buy.

This is the best thing to happen to consoles since the Wii remote.
    What's this peer fucking review shit all about? I'm interpreting those lines as saying "you can put up your own games as long as microsoft gives it the OK."

So uh, tell me I'm wrong and please quote some text saying what the XNA features are all about. I really want to buy all the stuff now, if they're saying what I hope they're saying.

Sorry I forget that Peer-Review isn't a widely used thing. Basically it's the exact opposite.

Peer review is what makes Science awesome basically - and MS have stolen it for this.

Instead of microsoft checking every single indie game to make sure it doesn't violate IP, or is terrible, or broken, or bugged. Which would cost huge amounts of money they instead (before a game is released to the general public) give it to other indie developers for them to rate and comment on. If they like it, it gets through. If it's broken on shit, or stolen then it doesn't.

tl ; dr - the developers of indie games all review each others games before they are published to check they are decent. So standards are massively higher, and as it's free to MS the games can be free OR charged.

This is what I've been waiting for ever since I've been working with XNA, the great thing about the peer review thing too is the community will be able to suggest improvements to your games so if it's not quite ready for primetime the community will tell you what is missing.

My initial comment was "Shit, I better get off my ass and finish Ardor", then I realized that I still spend every free minute of my time working on it anyway. I think XNA developers knew this was coming, but no one knew when.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    "This is the best thing to happen to consoles since the Wii remote."

Oh that made me laugh.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Oh that made me laugh.

Ho ho - different opinions and what not. I apologise that I've enjoyed my Wii far more than any console I've ever owened. Stupid me. Clearly I'm uncultured.

Lave II on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Oh that made me laugh.

Ho ho - different opinions and what not. I apologise that I've enjoyed my Wii far more than any console I've ever owened. Stupid me. Clearly I'm uncultured.

Or it could be the other way, that he doesn't think this is anything too special.
    Either way, opinions lollolollololoolo

darleysam on
    forumsig.png