Options

Champions online!

• Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »
    And because they replaced a really cool villain (Requiem!) with a much less cool one (The Center? The hell?)

comparing the center and requiem's paragonwiki articles is hilarious

http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Requiem

http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/The_Center

i'd never seen the center before

i am massively disappointed

fuck the council

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ok, so who do I have to talk to about getting in to a PA super group in the beta?

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    As of today there isn't a PA SG anymore. It'll need to be remade. Just join the channel.

Scooter on
  • Options
    AkinosAkinos Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Dev Diary on the creation of Crisis Zones:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/987/987429p1.html

Akinos on
  • Options
    Magic RadioMagic Radio Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Akinos wrote: »
    Dev Diary on the creation of Crisis Zones:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/987/987429p1.html

I've found these dev diaries more interesting than the power videos with their cheesy voice acting. While they're not critical overviews of certain systems: they certainly offer some insight to how various parts of the game are made.

Magic Radio on
  • Options
    aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So, anyone else disliked the new voice they picked for a certain character in the instance at the end of the Tutorial? They went from someone that oozed the style and flair of old-school to... um... a hick trucker.

aunsoph on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Xbox 360 version is due out before the end of the year.
    Champions Online Hitting Xbox 360 Later This Year, Star Trek Online Due by April 2010
    by Chris Faylor May 29, 2009 10:45am

New details on the projects being handled by City of Heroes veterans Cryptic Studios emerged out of studio owner and publisher Atari today via financial documents.

First up was word that the Xbox 360 version of the super-powered MMO Champions Online will arrive by the end of the year, at some time between September 1 and December 31. The PC edition of Champions Online is due to launch on September 1.

Next, Atari confirmed that the next MMO out of Cryptic, Star Trek Online, is expected to launch no later than March 31, 2010. No platforms were mentioned, though the company has previously said that STO is coming to "both console and PC formats."

Finally, the company teased that Cryptic is working on a "series of new games based on Atari's existing and historically successful IPs," but offered no further information.
    Source: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/58851

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Will the 360 version be like FFXI and share servers with the PC folks? Hopefully for one subscription rate.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LilithiumLilithium __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    If it's not like that, I am not going to bother with this game. I'll just stop worrying and learn to love the CoX.

Lilithium on
    What's that ringing? Ting-ting-a-linging in my head~? Oh, you're always there, making me whole. You're always waiting up for me. You're my first kiss, ever so pure, and ever so defiling, once lost, can never be the same. Fuck me. Violate me. Deny me.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Al Baron wrote: »
    Will the 360 version be like FFXI and share servers with the PC folks? Hopefully for one subscription rate.

I'm pretty sure thats the case.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Are the testing periods still limited to Wednesday and Friday?

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yeah they are. I really can't wait till its opened up more. I hope they do another wave of friend invite codes or something. I missed out on the first one, and I have one friend who's clawing at the walls with anticipation for this game.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    HayasaHayasa Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm really disappointed with the cost of costume redesign.

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hayasa wrote: »
    I'm really disappointed with the cost of costume redesign.

god damn this is annoying

Pony on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Cost of costume redesign? Elaborate please.

Henroid on
  • Options
    HayasaHayasa Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    When you finish the 5-level tutorial, you don't have enough money to go to the tailor and tweak stuff after seeing it in practice.

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'll be careful about my costume creation then.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    you would think in beta, they would just make it free

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »
    you would think in beta, they would just make it free
    They want to figure out a good cost. If enough people complain they might just lower it.

...No, complaining about it here does not make them change things.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    There's a difference between complaining and providing feedback.

The WoW forum has taught me this.

Henroid on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Henroid wrote: »

I'm pretty sure we call that 'whining like a little spoiled bitch' in proper English. :P

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Aldo wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »

I'm pretty sure we call that 'whining like a little spoiled bitch' in proper English. :P

Yeah. But if you've ever seen the rare informative post on there, Blizzard is good about responding to it and the nature of their posts to that sort of thing are more serious, instead of the, "we're tired of you shitty forumers" thing.

Henroid on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hayasa wrote: »
    When you finish the 5-level tutorial, you don't have enough money to go to the tailor and tweak stuff after seeing it in practice.

This is what happens when you train 99.9% of your playerbase to assume that costume changes should be free by having your previous game hand out free tailor tokens like copies of Dianetics at an L. Ron Hubbard Festival.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oi, got into the beta myself, finally. Without getting into specifics, I'll say that I share the opinion of many others: nothing shy of a fundamental change in game mechanics would get me to play.

I wanted City of Heroes: As it Should Have Been, not World of Warcraft: Now With Spandex but None of the Polish.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I get the negativity some of you guys are expressing.

Personally? I've been enjoying the shit out of this game and I plan to buy it when it comes out.

Different strokes, I guess!

Pony on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I imagine I'll level one or two characters to the cap and quit playing. Maybe come back if they add villians or something. Not a lot of long term prospects, but the trip should be fun while I'm on it.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    s3rial one wrote: »
    Oi, got into the beta myself, finally. Without getting into specifics, I'll say that I share the opinion of many others: nothing shy of a fundamental change in game mechanics would get me to play.

I wanted City of Heroes: As it Should Have Been, not World of Warcraft: Now With Spandex but None of the Polish.

That sums up my sentiments exactly. What I wanted it to be and what it really is are completely different.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    WoW with Spandex? Why wouldn't this be fucking cool as shit?

Imagine flying(not on a mount) through some of the scenery in WoW.

Imagine taking your main from CoX and placing it in the WoW environment.

Sorry, I just jizzed in my pants.

Shawnasee on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think you missed the part about "None of the polish."

It plays like WoW, but the charm and immersion are not there. Completing quests feels like a chore. You only do it because its the fastest way to level. But why do you level? So you can do more quests. Its a pretty repetitive cycle of bleh.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »

It plays like WoW, but the charm and immersion are not there. Completing quests feels like a chore. You only do it because its the fastest way to level. But why do you level? So you can do more quests. Its a pretty repetitive cycle of bleh.

"Tabula Rasa: Superhero Edition" is a far more accurate description than anything having to do with WoW.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So can I make a kung-fu guy in an orange gi with spikey gold hair that uses all melee moves aside from one really powerful blue energy beam?

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »

"Tabula Rasa: Superhero Edition" is a far more accurate description than anything having to do with WoW.

Yea, this feels about right. Except I think I liked TR more, because I wasn't comparing it to CoX.

On a scale of CoX to WoW, though, this would be near towards WoW. Which I guess is fine if you like WoW, but I, uh, don't.

Scooter on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Having not played champions, I really don't get how it can "feel like WoW," at least in a way that CoX doesn't. I mean it's still guys in spandex, right?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    But they don't feel like guys in spandex. Autoattacks detract so much from the super hero feeling. So much.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    So can I make a kung-fu guy in an orange gi with spikey gold hair that uses all melee moves aside from one really powerful blue energy beam?

yes

Cabezone on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The main difference between CoX and ChO is that ChO has almost no instances. And the few I've seen are very short. Everything happens in the main zone.

Also, there's the part where stuff spawns right on top of you and kills you. That reminds me of WoW.

Scooter on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Scooter wrote: »
    The main difference between CoX and ChO is that ChO has almost no instances. And the few I've seen are very short. Everything happens in the main zone.

Also, there's the part where stuff spawns right on top of you and kills you. That reminds me of WoW.

Spawn storms can get intense sometimes.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So many things feel like WoW to me and I've only played the tutorial. Granted I have only ever played WoW(to 30), CoX and this so I have no frame of reference with other MMOs.

! or ? above contact's heads
    Collecting quests at a hub location and then moving out to the sort of "danger zone" to do them
    Getting a choice of 3 or so armors after completing a quest
    Enemies spawning on top of you
    Even the contact text system

This is just off the top of my head and I'm sure there is more once you get out of the tutorial. I am unfortunately with s3rial in that only a fundamental change to game play will get me to buy this..which won't happen of course.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    GhostManOnThirdGhostManOnThird Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That sounds..dissapointing.

GhostManOnThird on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'll probably check it out when its 10 dollars from a bargain bin

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg