As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Champions online!

• Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    s3rial one wrote: »
    devoir wrote: »
    s3rial one wrote: »
    devoir wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    and what this page of this thread shows you, folks, is that it is impossible to please everybody when you design a MMORPG, because you have different groups of people who want completely different things from the game itself

Smart man. Hopefully everyone else will realise this.

To what end?

I mean, is acknowledging that people have differing opinions something that really needs to be a point of contention? It's kind of a given, don't you think?

Frankly, it's pretty insulting to think that people don't know that.

Because people are trying to convince other people that their way of playing a game, for entertainment, is wrong. And that's insulting.
    A lot of this stems from people being disabused of incorrect notions of what this game is about. For example, Blue Destiny's talking about maneuvering during combat. Well, you can't do that in ChO to any significant degree. It's comparable to CoX now, and certainly pails in comparison to maneuverability before CoX added suppression. And when part of the big draw of a game is the multiplayer aspect, it's pretty stupid to then play cheer-leader for the WoW-based quest model, when it only serves to reduce grouping compared to, say, the model they designed six years ago for their last game.

Beyond that, I'm not seeing what you're talking about. There's a lot of misinformation that could stand to be corrected, though.

Show me where in CoX I can use my powers without stopping and turning to face enemies.

Yeah, CoX has auto-facing. That doesn't really restrict your mobility.

Besides, if you hold the right mouse button, you turn to face, execute the ability, and instantly face back where you were before-hand.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Every attack in CoX requires you to be still. Not a huge dramatic thing, it can be sorta annoying.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    For a long time in CoH you had to stop and wait for EVERY animation to play out when you were activating any power. Then they changed it so that any power that was simply buffing you and nothing else (anything that didn't effect mobs) would just happen and you could interrupt the animation (so you can buff and run! what a novel concept). But for every other ability in the game, you have to wait for its animation to finish before you can move again. This would lead to things like, you chasing some one down, only to use a power which would root you, and having them get farther away from you. (you would still hit them, but still).

Champions lets you run around like crazy with most if its powers while you use them. Which makes it feel like you have more mobility. This is kind of how WoW works as well, but mostly for Melee classes. Things that shoot anything usually have to stand still to cast it. Basically, if its not instant cast, you have to stand to get it off.

When it comes to Combat in Champions, its hard for me to say how much I like it yet. I would have to have a level 40 character, built properly, to see how combat feels IMO. The lower levels are kinda boring (as with most MMOs) but they feel even more so because you really only have your "auto-attack" ability. The thing that kind of keeps the early game of WoW or even CoH interesting is that you get new abilities pretty quick. Every other level in WoW (and I believe in CoH) you have something new to try out and use. I think you don't get a new power until level 4 in Champions.

The thing I like about how the combat works in WoW is that you have to keep a rotation going to maintain max DPS. It keeps things interesting IMO, and gives you something to Learn and Master. I don't know how thats going to work for Champions, because of the whole Pick any Power thing they have going on.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Someone in here mentioned that they wanted this game to be Marvel Ultimate Alliance: The MMO, and I can't see how it ISN'T...then again, I am not in the beta.

I mean I was just playing MUA earlier, and all you do is punch punch punch punch punch punch OH HEY ENERGY *SPECIAL ATTACK* punch punch punch block block punch.

Seems to me from what I've heard and the little I've seen that this game is that, but you make your own heroes.

If it doesn't break NDA, would a couple people compare/contrast the play style of both games for me?

Arch on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Arch wrote: »
    Someone in here mentioned that they wanted this game to be Marvel Ultimate Alliance: The MMO, and I can't see how it ISN'T...then again, I am not in the beta.

I mean I was just playing MUA earlier, and all you do is punch punch punch punch punch punch OH HEY ENERGY *SPECIAL ATTACK* punch punch punch block block punch.

Seems to me from what I've heard and the little I've seen that this game is that, but you make your own heroes.

If it doesn't break NDA, would a couple people compare/contrast the play style of both games for me?

actually i find it very much like MUA, especially if you make your basic attack (which builds your end bar) into something you manually button mash instead of an auto-attack

then it really is punch punch punch oh energy BIG PUNCH punch punch punch.

At least in the early levels.

I've got a level 18 dude and he has about 5 attack powers right now.

currently, the support for it is disabled but eventually the PC version of this game will support a Xbox 360 controller plugged in to your PC, and I'm interested to see how much it really does feel like MUA when that happens.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

actually i find it very much like MUA, especially if you make your basic attack (which builds your end bar) into something you manually button mash instead of an auto-attack

then it really is punch punch punch oh energy BIG PUNCH punch punch punch.

At least in the early levels.

I've got a level 18 dude and he has about 5 attack powers right now.

word. time to find my old usb gamepad and then wait for either my beta invite (olol) or the game to be released.

can you make a character early on whose "BIG PUNCH" is some sort of energy blast while their end ability is a punch, kick, or like sword strike?

Or, alternate question- swords and guns ala Deadpool?

again, dont break NDA on my account, and if there is a place I can learn this direct me towards it!

Arch on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Question. If someone here breaks the NDA... like, how does Cryptic find out?

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    word. time to find my old usb gamepad and then wait for either my beta invite (olol) or the game to be released.

can you make a character early on whose "BIG PUNCH" is some sort of energy blast while their end ability is a punch, kick, or like sword strike?

again, dont break NDA on my account, and if there is a place I can learn this direct me towards it!

All the powers in this game fit into "frameworks", which are basically a set of powers based on the same thing. Might, Fire Control, Munitions, Sorcery, etc.

You can choose powers from any framework, at any level you get new powers, but there's a catch.

See, all the powers are on Tiers, ranging from 1-3. They unlock at certain levels, depending on how many powers you have from that framework. If you have more powers in one framework, the Tiers of that Framework open up sooner to you.

So, if you decide to make an ice guy, and take only powers from the Ice Control framework, you will get access to the Tier 2 and Tier 3 Ice powers faster than if you mixed in, say, Might or Darkness Control.

To answer your question, yes to all the combinations you asked about.

You get "rewarded" with higher Tier powers sooner if you stick to one or two frameworks, but eventually you get access to all Tiers from all frameworks (I think around level 15 or 16 or so?) so you don't get hosed if you wanted to be a character who has a sword, guns, and can can also cast a mystical ward, or whatever.

EDIT: Just so everyone knows, this is information you could've found out for yourself by following interviews and dev blogs and stuff. I didn't break the NDA here

Pony on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

All the powers in this game fit into "frameworks", which are basically a set of powers based on the same thing. Might, Fire Control, Munitions, Sorcery, etc.

You can choose powers from any framework, at any level you get new powers, but there's a catch.

See, all the powers are on Tiers, ranging from 1-3. They unlock at certain levels, depending on how many powers you have from that framework. If you have more powers in one framework, the Tiers of that Framework open up sooner to you.

So, if you decide to make an ice guy, and take only powers from the Ice Control framework, you will get access to the Tier 2 and Tier 3 Ice powers faster than if you mixed in, say, Might or Darkness Control.

To answer your question, yes to all the combinations you asked about.

You get "rewarded" with higher Tier powers sooner if you stick to one or two frameworks, but eventually you get access to all Tiers from all frameworks (I think around level 15 or 16 or so?) so you don't get hosed if you wanted to be a character who has a sword, guns, and can can also cast a mystical ward, or whatever.

EDIT: Just so everyone knows, this is information you could've found out for yourself by following interviews and dev blogs and stuff. I didn't break the NDA here

Man I seriously can't wait for this game.

Arch on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This might run into NDA breaking territory, but are there abilities that aren't flat out attacks?

Like one of my ideas is a Time guy who can freeze people in their tracks, speed himself up and slow other people down. (In addition to having a pistol and a few kung-fu moves, since his time abilities aren't all powerful). I imagine there isn't any direct "time abilities" category, but I figured I could take a few ice abilities and color them whitish-yellow and pretend the "ice" is just distortion from the time affects. Are there abilities that can root or slow?

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    This might run into NDA breaking territory, but are there abilities that aren't flat out attacks?

Like one of my ideas is a Time guy who can freeze people in their tracks, speed himself up and slow other people down. (In addition to having a pistol and a few kung-fu moves, since his time abilities aren't all powerful). I imagine there isn't any direct "time abilities" category, but I figured I could take a few ice abilities and color them whitish-yellow and pretend the "ice" is just distortion from the time affects. Are there abilities that can root or slow?

yes

again, information that has been talked about before by devs in interviews and the like: most frameworks have direct offensive powers, some defensive abilities, team buffs, debuffs, roots, slows, etc.

some, obviously, have more of certain things than others. i mean, it would be safe to assume that a power set like ice would have powers that freeze the target

one of the very interesting things about this game is even if two people play in the exact same framework, and take only powers from that framework, they could still end up with very different playstyles.

some of the frameworks are simply so broad that you could reasonably "spec" as one of the conventional MMORPG combat roles (tank, DPS, support, debuff, etc.) and play completely differently than someone who uses the same framework as you.

they chose different powers within that framework and upgraded them differently (you can upgrade your powers with Advantages every couple levels, again this is info the devs have talked openly about before).

it's a classless system, after all, so what your playstyle is is heavily determined by how you chose and upgraded your powers.

i can tell you that Sorcery, for example, is a massive framework right now and you could have a Sorcery-based character fill any of the conventional MMORPG roles depending on which Sorcery powers he chose and how he upgraded them, and he'd be a completely different character than another Sorcerer who chose and upgraded different powers.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Cool beans. Though I seem to recall the devs talking about a system where you could instantly "respec" your character. Not actual respecing, but for a group your effectiveness in areas is modified so could take on the role of healer, tank or dps so when a group is forming. That way you don't have the "okay, now we need a healer" BS. Anyone can "slot" into any role when a group is formed. I hope that system is still there.

EDIT: I'll wait until the NDA drops (or I get into the beta) for the answer though. :)

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Cool beans. Though I seem to recall the devs talking about a system where you could instantly "respec" your character. Not actual respecing, but for a group your effectiveness in areas is modified so could take on the role of healer, tank or dps so when a group is forming. That way you don't have the "okay, now we need a healer" BS. Anyone can "slot" into any role when a group is formed. I hope that system is still there.

i can confirm that an aspect of the game that devs have publicly spoken about is, in fact, part of the game.

there is a function called "roles" that doesn't change your powers or anything, it just alters your numbers to be more effective at your chosen role. if you choose a defensive role in order to tank, for example, it will greatly increase your defensive values while lowering your damage.

this way, instead of going around a zone "LF Tank" one of you (the one best spec'd to do so, i'd hope) chooses to take on that role for this team.

this sort of role mechanic is necessary for a classless MMORPG to function, so long as they play like more common MMORPGs (which this does)

Pony on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Fuck yeah!

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    i feel the urge to cheerlead for this game, because i like it and i want it to succeed and if it dies, i can't play it anymore and i will have wasted money on it

you know

like tabula rasa

and auto assault

and hellgate: london

and

Pony on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Oh god, hellgate london..

If I only knew then what I know now...

EDIT: You know, we're less than 3 months away from launch and the NDA is still up..

I give it until the start of July before I get worried.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    i feel the urge to cheerlead for this game, because i like it and i want it to succeed and if it dies, i can't play it anymore and i will have wasted money on it

you know

like tabula rasa

and auto assault

and hellgate: london

and

I'm in the same boat.
    WHY AUTO ASSAULT WHY I LOVED YOU SO MUCH :cry:

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    Magic RadioMagic Radio Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    i feel the urge to cheerlead for this game

Well it's nice to know at least one person likes the game. I've seen all of two people in the beta, second being you Pony, say anything nice about game or admit to liking it.

Magic Radio on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I know!

There's so much negativity in this thread, and the people bitching about the game have their hands tied by trying to simultaneously say they don't like the game but also not explaining why without breaking the NDA

So it's this general negative haze and by golly, I don't like that!

Normally, I'd challenge those who be hatin' to back that shit up with specific complaints, but they can't so what can you do?

What I will say is this: If you came into this game expecting CoH 2.0, you will be greatly disappointed. It is not a successor to CoH, not at all. It plays very differently, it's structured completely differently, and the two are only comparable in that they are both MMORPGs about super-heroes.

If you came into this game expecting a mind-blowing new experience that will reinvent MMORPGs, defeat WoW, and be the best game ever? Again, you are setting yourself up for failure.

If, however you came into this game expecting a good super-hero MMORPG that is an alternative to City of Heroes, then maybe this game is for you.

If you get easily annoyed by standard MMORPG tropes and approaches, let me tell you this game is about this close to being WoW in spandex as far as its core gameplay and mission structure is. That might be a good thing for you, that might not be. That's on you.

Me? I quit playing WoW a few months before Burning Crusade and I've never looked back. I'm not a fan of WoW, but I am loving Champions to pieces. Even though many of the core gameplay design is the same, I enjoy this game more than WoW. Maybe I just dig super-heroes so much that I can look past the fact that "Defeat 10 gangsters and collect their bandanas" is functionally the same as "kill 10 boars and collect their livers".

But it's not identical to WoW, in a bunch of different ways. Getting your travel power at the end of the tutorial is a huge difference maker. Traversing zones to kill dudes, collect loots, and get quests is a lot nicer when you can fly or teleport or grappling hook your way across the zone.

I can safely say Champions does very little, if anything, to innovate in MMORPGs. Instead, it takes good parts from many different games (principally WoW and CoH) and synthesizes them into an enjoyable experience.

So, if you going in knowing that, going in knowing you are getting a very conventional and run-of-the-mill online RPG that lets you create super-heroes and go around blasting dudes and throwing cars, then maybe this game is for you!

That was the expectation I had going in, and it has pleased me thus far. I think, perhaps, that the people who are so vociferously decrying the game as mediocre or poorly designed most likely went in with their own inflated expectations and were upset when they were not met.

Thus far, the game has done what I expected it to do and has even surprised me on a few details I can't really discuss here.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    That NDA is getting really annoying.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I would be more than happy to come here and post positive impressions, but it seems they forgot to send me a beta key.
    hint hint

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    There's an interview I missed (thought it was just a retread) that has some new info

-Over 200 powers in the game.
    -PvP detailed: currently 3 modes
    B.A.S.H.
    This free-for-all affair takes place in a condemned section of the Westside district of Millennium City. While not as pristine an event as the Tournament of Champions, it does have a bevy of followers who track the winners and losers (and offer rewards) with just as much fervor. It also has the beneficial side effect of making street crime non-existent in that part of the city.

Tournament of Champions
    This is team-based combat within a defined arena. Teams of heroes can rise to the top of the leader-board rankings and gain both acclaim and rewards for their efforts. The Tournament started as an underground event between desperate and unsavory individuals with super powers. Recent times have seen the Tournament of Champions become a sanctioned event that is televised and followed by millions of eager fans around the world.

Apocalypse
    These are special scenarios devised to push superheroes to their limits in extreme situations. The current setting is within a simulated stronghold prison where some heroes take on the roles of assisting the prison guards and others are trying to break out. This prepares all those involved to either quell a prison uprising or shake free unjust shackles should the prison ever fall into the wrong hands.

And of course, heroes can always throw down anywhere in the world in a duel!
    -Crafting system details
    There is a full-fledged crafting system in the game with three "schools" (Science, Arms, and Mystic) to allow for the creation of gadgets, devices and what we call Upgrades. These upgrades are not always what would be considered physical items as you would see in a fantasy MMO, for example. There are a large number of pieces of armor or amulets, weapons or mystic blades, but there is also a vast array of "intangible" upgrades in the world. These would be things like martial arts stances, irradiated mutagens, magical spells, or super-science serums - and are represented as both persistent and consumable upgrades. All in all, we want players to be able to stay true to the concept of their character while still being able to play the "item" game.
    According to the forums, you can only pick one school to learn.
    -Some areas of the game will change depending on how players perform (one example given is an area of the city that would get "cleaned up" as players fight crime)

Source: http://www.gbase.ch/pc/specials/7539/771__p5.html

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    i can't say anything about pvp in this game, because i've never tried it

and if there's parts of Millennium City that change based on player actions, i ain't seen those either

but that bit about crafting? true, so far as i've experienced.

Pony on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Now, what would make sense would be a crafting system centered around a gadgeteer power tree.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    Now, what would make sense would be a crafting system centered around a gadgeteer power tree.

That's basically what Arms crafting is.

You can only choose one crafting type to learn (Science, Arms, or Magic) and you can build and research recipes from that type of crafting.

However, what crafting type you know is entirely separate from what your powers are. So, while it makes perfect sense for someone who uses a lot of Gadgeteering powers to also be into Arms crafting, it doesn't mean that needs to be the case. You could take Magic crafting, for all the game cares.

The crafting system thus far in this game is still very much in beta but essentially, it's identical to how crafting works in World of Warcraft.

Pony on
  • Options
    TheScrupleTheScruple The Oldest of BridgesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm not a frequent poster in these parts, so I won't constantly be cheerleading this game as Pony is, but I want to jump in and say I've had an opportunity to play the beta, I like what I see and will be purchasing and playing this game when it launches. I don't love it, but there's a lot to like.

For me, CoX was as much about building characters as it was about teaming, atmosphere and exploration. In 4 years of playing, I only had 2 level 50s, one Hero, one Villain, since I love trying new builds and designing new characters. With the ability to pick and choose powers basically at will, I can build exactly what I want to build and give it a go. At higher levels, I can even have two completely different builds on the same character, so I don't have to start from scratch if I don't want to. I will end up rolling up a ton of alts anyway simply to try out all the various costume pieces, looks, travel powers, stat builds, etc.

After 4 years of trying almost every non-blast build in the world of CoX, from power builds to concept builds to "let's see if this works", I feel like I exhausted the builds that appealed to me. Champions presents me with a brand new palette to work with. I can't wait.

TheScruple on
    All prairie dogs just want to be heroes
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wow this thread grew a ton yesterday. I just read 3 pages to catch up.

Basically, if I could design the perfect MMO, it would be a game in which its all about the journey. It would be a lot like how Fallout 3 plays. The quests in FO3 are incredible. None of them are simply "go here and kill x number of mobs." The quests are branching and tiered and have multiple solutions and multiple endings. The quests actually matter and they shape the gameworld itself to a degree.

I would love to see an MMO that has branching quest arcs with interesting stories that actually matter. Part of the problem I have with Champions is that the stories behind the quests are so dull, and all of the quests are presented via exposition in a quest box with an Accept or Decline button. There's no interaction, and really, there's no incentive to even read the quest. WoW has this problem too. Reading quest text is for chumps, because it doesn't matter. Every quest is the same. "Go here and kill X mobs."

In all honestly, a lot of my complaints with Champions, as Pony stated a few pages back, have very little to do with mechanics so much as they have to do with numbers. I felt that a lot of power sets were very weak, and I felt like my characters were not very heroic at all. These are things that are easily tweaked on tables and spreadsheets.

A few weeks back, I was playing with Scooter. We dueled, and I kicked his ass. Bad. Not because I'm a good player, but because his powerset was so incredibly weak that he was only doing like 3 damage to me per shot, while I was doing like 150 to him in return.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    fairweatherfairweather OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I have a bunch of level 30 to 40 characters in WoW that I've been meaning to level up, but I never get around to it because I just end up having to do the same things as I did with all my other characters. I miss the time when I was leveling my first character and just exploring the world was a blast. Now I know almost every detail of the game world, I've done most of the quests at least once or twice, and the only interesting thing left is raiding, but that'll only last until we finish clearing Ulduar.

I would really love to see the game be entirely focused around the journey as Lucas said. I want to have a story develop for my character based on the actions I take, whether I succeed or fail, who I play with and how their stories have developed. Instead of a character being just a set of stats and gear that I push up to max level to work through some raid content, I'd like for a character to have a history and goals to drive a continuing story line I play through.

It'd probably be too difficult to implement, but if it could be pulled off I'd love to see an mmo based around a content generation system where developers put in templates and resources for creating content, then based on factors related to the players and the current state of the game world the system would create unique content.

For instance, the game could create an event where a player's arch-nemesis begins to execute a plot of some sort using various templates chosen at random or through other factors. Events could then be created based on the state of that plot, so the villain might do something like break into a lab to steal a device of some sort for part of their master plan. Based on whether the player and his / her party succeed, the plot then takes a different path. Additionally, players grouping together might have their events become intertwined (enemies teaming up, that kind of thing).

With enough interesting elements and ways of combining them together to make content, it might be possible to generate enough content that players would have something new to do all the time. The problem is of course that if generated content becomes too repetitious or isn't interesting enough the game will feel like an empty shell.

Still though, if someone could pull off a game like that, they'd have me addicted for a reeeeeally long time.

fairweather on
  • Options
    Magic RadioMagic Radio Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It'd probably be too difficult to implement, but if it could be pulled off I'd love to see an mmo based around a content generation system.

Well the developers of CO claim to have done this. However, to what extent I am of course mostly ignorant.

The Nemesis system makes grand claims that your evil counter part will attack whenever it damn well pleases, and in a fashion of its choosing. Supposedly if you're in a group everyone's mustache twirler can show up at once. I believe this now starts at level 25.

As well, they alude to something they call The Omega System. It as well is herald to generate seemingly random crisis that you and your hero bros need to respond to in a timely fashion. This feature is slated for max level characters last I heard. I'm not even sure if it's made it into the game. They haven't mentioned a thing about it in a long time, and you'd think this would be something to hype to a decent extent.

I don't know if the claims are simply boastful posturing or are an actuality, but they sure are neat little ideas.

Magic Radio on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Scooter wrote: »
    I can only think of three main complaints I've heard about CoX (without getting into nitpicks): repetitive instances, slow leveling, and lack of loot.
    Add shit way to convey a story. You're all bitching about how EQ clones do it, but CoX's is equally terrible. Yes, we have a comic book inspired universe, let's stick the story... somewhere deep down into the interface... oh, you got a clue that progresses it? Yeah, go search for it into the interface, we won't use the engine to actually convey said clue in an interesting manner.
    It got better with Villain side cinematics, but they're not really standard. And a wee bit clunky.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Boxart is available now
    http://www.champions-online.com/node/70029
    Fairly generic for a super-hero game.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The boxart is ho-hum.

And as for CoX's story in-game, it was hard to get across and access. I ended up reading about things on Wiki pages.

Henroid on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Aldo wrote: »
    Dyscord wrote: »
    you would think in beta, they would just make it free
    They want to figure out a good cost. If enough people complain they might just lower it.

...No, complaining about it here does not make them change things.
    How about free? Because, I sometimes wanna change my hairdo or the color of my clothes when I say, "oh, on second thought, this really looks like shit in this non-costume generator lighting in the 'real world'", and I shouldn't have to grind for aesthetics.

It's another stupid CoX concept that needs to be re-tooled. If people want to play Barbie Fashion Show all day, let them.

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    yeah, i am against costume changes costing in-game cash

i hate it in CoH, although it's ameliorated there by the fact that i've got a bazillion free tailor sessions on my dudes from vet rewards and stuff.

there's a bunch of asinine decisions they are making with this game that they are only doing because CoH and/or WoW does them

that's really irritating

Pony on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    A few weeks back, I was playing with Scooter. We dueled, and I kicked his ass. Bad. Not because I'm a good player, but because his powerset was so incredibly weak that he was only doing like 3 damage to me per shot, while I was doing like 150 to him in return.

Actually I'm pretty sure it's because the custom weapon I bought just wasn't working, at all. Like I traded in my rifle for a paintball gun.

I think I still lost after I switched back to the regular one though.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    yeah, i am against costume changes costing in-game cash

i hate it in CoH, although it's ameliorated there by the fact that i've got a bazillion free tailor sessions on my dudes from vet rewards and stuff.

there's a bunch of asinine decisions they are making with this game that they are only doing because CoH and/or WoW does them

that's really irritating

Well, they're taking ideas from what would be their direct competitor and the most successful MMO on the market. Business wise, it makes sense and I'm not about to blame them for it.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Playing it safe out of the box is fine with me, they have plenty of time to get people hooked and then start putting in new and interesting things that other MMOs are not doing.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Ultimately there's a fundamental flaw in mmos. They're fucking expensive.

So you, as a developer, need money to keep this thing running. You need your players to pay that monthly fee for as long as possible. You can never produce enough content to outright keep them playing indefinately, so you have to stretch shit out as far as possible. XP grinds, money grinds, gear grinds.. whatever you can get away with.

It sucks, but it's a sad fact of MMO existance at this point.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Playing it safe is a good way to put it Paradox. And on top of that, once they get their fanbase going they can start following the requests / demands to refine the game to those people, and perhaps attract more like-minded players (or bring back those who will quit after a short while).

Tricky business it is.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    i do hope they blatantly steal a vet rewards system from CoH

it's a good idea, from a marketing standpoint

Pony on
This discussion has been closed.