As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Champions online!

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Veteran rewards are hooooorrrrible. I hate them so much.

Narbus on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Narbus wrote: »
    Veteran rewards are hooooorrrrible. I hate them so much.

CoH implements them poorly, but they're a good idea.

CoH's mistake is locking content that they know players will want (Wings, trenchcoats, for example) behind vet rewards.

and that's annoying

but giving long-time subscribers free junk for staying as long as they have been is a good concept in principle

Pony on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yea, especially since they don't have enough ideas for them. I've been playing for 4 and a half years, and I get...a free costume change? Yet another respec? Thanks so much. Haven't they even been falling behind on putting the last few out?

Scooter on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I was really happy to finally have trench coats granted to my account. But at the same time, kinda irate that I had to subscribe for so long for it. It felt more like punishment.

When a standout feature of a game is character customization, don't lock details of that feature with such bullshit.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah I kinda agree with Henroid here. I've been in that situation before where a friend would have something on a character and I ask "where'd you get that?" and have him say "Oh its a ### Vet Reword" and thinking "huh, we'll i'm never getting that."

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    See, I'd be in favor of vet rewards that are things like free costume change tokens (if you are going to charge for costume changes at all, which I don't like but this game is doing), free respecs, "convenience" powers like team teleport and teleport-to-mission things, shit like that.

I don't agree with locking costume options behind vet rewards.

Pony on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Basically, vet rewards have to be based on saving you time in-game or saving you from the inconvenience of money dumping in-game, or have to be trivial as fuck like non-combat pets.

Henroid on
  • Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't even agree with locking teleporters and the like behind veteran rewards. There's nothing you can do to get those things except throw money at the game on their own schedule. If it's just costume changes and respecs that's one thing, even more character slots are ok because it takes a while to use up all the ones you have, but any functional difference (and looking pretty in these games is a functional difference) just leaves that "oh, shit. I'll never have that, then. Lame." feeling. Especially if someone started playing, say right now, and wanted pretty angel wings. Oh, 15 full months? Yeah, ok i'm going to go play some game that doesn't punish me outright for bothering to join in later.

Narbus on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Maybe they should base it on subscription time purchased. Like if you get 6 months advanced, it should treat your account as being 6 months active right away.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Narbus wrote: »
    I don't even agree with locking teleporters and the like behind veteran rewards. There's nothing you can do to get those things except throw money at the game on their own schedule. If it's just costume changes and respecs that's one thing, even more character slots are ok because it takes a while to use up all the ones you have, but any functional difference (and looking pretty in these games is a functional difference) just leaves that "oh, shit. I'll never have that, then. Lame." feeling. Especially if someone started playing, say right now, and wanted pretty angel wings. Oh, 15 full months? Yeah, ok i'm going to go play some game that doesn't punish me outright for bothering to join in later.

Yeah, this is true.

Vet rewards shouldn't be anything more than conveniences you can earn in-game through money and time.

Locking things as pure vet rewards is dumb.

Pony on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't mind vet rewards being practical, as long as they're not imbalancing. Giving vet players teleporters or shitty travel powers in CoX is just fine, given that they've seen that content a million times and won't really be missing much by skipping the 5 levels of jogging.
    On the other hand, the game is defined by costume pieces. Making them into vet rewards is just stupid.

Glal on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't know, this always seems to be the argument from people who want a veteran reward they haven't earned yet "Its ok for things to be veteran rewards unless they're cool and I want it"

If its not cool, and you don't want it, its not much of a fucking reward is it? I think just staying away from the system or putting rewards with a real monetary value on the table such as server transfers, renames, or character slots, is a better way to go about it. In game stuff just leads to endless, endless, bitching.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    oh my god i had so much fun today

i literally played this game for about 12 hours straight

at least 4 of that was making characters

Pony on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Pony wrote: »

On the one hand, I'm glad someone had a rad awesome experience with this.

On the other, Pony, no poopsock right? D:

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Henroid wrote: »

bathroom breaks were pretty much the only breaks i made

i didn't even stop to eat

which i am doing now.

Pony on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

bathroom breaks were pretty much the only breaks i made

i didn't even stop to eat

which i am doing now.

right as you were typing that? gross. poop post

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    i have poop-posted before

from my PSP, no less

Pony on
  • Options
    MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pony is god

MrIamMe on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I have a series of boxes set up in front of my crapper specifically for my laptop to rest.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    AkinosAkinos Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Question. If someone here breaks the NDA... like, how does Cryptic find out?

:mrgreen:

Akinos on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2009
    Akinos wrote: »
    Question. If someone here breaks the NDA... like, how does Cryptic find out?

:mrgreen:

I'll know!

A duck! on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    so I just wanna know, is this fun? because I haven't gotten into the beta yet. 15 months of playing CoH and I'm ready for a change and man I really want this game to rock, but the last thing I want to do is get my hopes up for another 3 months at least just for this to be a prettier CoH.

Also, whos dick do I have to suck to get a beta invite over here!

Bucketman on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Maybe they should base it on subscription time purchased. Like if you get 6 months advanced, it should treat your account as being 6 months active right away.

Man I said that before in an old old old old CoH thread (maybe not Thattttt old though....) because I played at release and then unsubscribed until.....I12? I13? The invention system Issue.

You are talking MAJOR MAJOR shit I missed because I didn't have time to play, thus didn't want to pay for it. Duh. But I would have payed for a coupla extra months that I probably wouldn't have even played to get some of the vet rewards right down the pipe....I think i was like 6 months from the "Choose a cool weapon at the start" power...you get a staff of some kind....

I woulda payed 6 months upfront for that, but I knew I wouldn't actively PLAY for 6 straight months, especially once school started up again. Just seems like they could be making even MORE money if they did that.

Arch on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Bucketman wrote: »
    so I just wanna know, is this fun? because I haven't gotten into the beta yet. 15 months of playing CoH and I'm ready for a change and man I really want this game to rock, but the last thing I want to do is get my hopes up for another 3 months at least just for this to be a prettier CoH.

Also, whos dick do I have to suck to get a beta invite over here!

it plays very differently than CoH

i hate to say "better"

in my opinion? it's better

but that's subjective

however if you were looking for something different than CoH it is very different

Pony on
  • Options
    MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    More importantly - how is it fun?

Do enemies adapt? are quests interesting? cut-scenes?

Whats the nemisis like?

MrIamMe on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    In what way is it different than CoH? ... Or is that too far into the NDA to answer?

KiTA on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    MrIamMe wrote: »
    More importantly - how is it fun?

Do enemies adapt? are quests interesting? cut-scenes?

Whats the nemisis like?

I find the combat to be more fun than CoX's, since it adds some variety with the way powers are activated. Some are toggled on, some charge up, some are single presses but have combo animations, etc. Also, blocking is crucial if you want to end fights with high health but if you have enough firepower (Like one of my characters does) you can just go all out and win before dying.

As far as I can tell enemies don't really "adapt" but I'm not sure how that would work anyways.

Quests are standard WoW fare, which I personally think is a bit more interesting than the excel spreadsheet designed ones in CoX.

A few cutscenes are in the tutorial but I haven't seen any beyond that.

Haven't gotten to the level needed for Nemesis yet.

Also KiTa the only similarity between this and CoX is that it has superpowers and a good costume editor.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Well, what kind of combat style does this have?

I heard something about crafting. Que? o.O

Is it the same general style of powers? Or is it closer to traditional WOW/EQ style class roles?

KiTA on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I will play this game if everyone from PA CoX does too.

I'm such a follower.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    KiTA wrote: »

Is it the same general style of powers? Or is it closer to traditional WOW/EQ style class roles?

I believe it's been mentioned in interviews, that the basic mode of combat is you have one basic attack on auto that builds energy when it fires, then you use that energy to use bigger attacks.

Their power setup is basically what they wanted to do in CoH alpha but couldn't balance at the time. Don't know of any other MMOs that work this way, but it's basically how p&p RPGs work.

@jeep, I know you're not supposed to use betas as free trials and all that, but tbh, based on what I've seen I won't be buying. It's mostly personal tastes in what I want in an MMO, I haven't seen any really glaring flaws, but if I want a better CoX then I'm just gonna wait for Going Rogue.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Essentially, I have some gameplay and stylistic gripes with City of Heroes that this does differently in a way that pleases me.

I don't want to break the NDA so it's difficult to explain how I like it and why.

But at least I think I'm being fair and saying I think this game is awesome based on my personal taste but totally get how other people might not be into it.

That said, it makes me sad that Scooter doesn't fancy it, because unless Going Rogue is mindblowing I'm not going back to CoH and I fully intend to buy CO based on this beta testing alone.

Pony on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I dunno how popular or unpopular the guy behind 'Ctrl+Alt+Del' is around here, but I think those who want to be in the closed beta might be interested in this.
    Those of you that follow my Twitter may have deduced that I've been participating in the Champions Online closed beta for the last few months. While the NDA is still up and I can't talk specifics, I think it's alright to tell you that in that time I've seen the game make huge strides towards becoming a top notch game. It has a lot going for it, and it definitely feels like the spiritual successor to City of Heroes. It's also been one of the more impressive focused testing phases that I've been a part of.

But why take my word for it when you can be a part of the beta test yourself? Cryptic has given me five Champions Online beta slots to give away here on the website. What do you have to do? It's quite simple... as creatively as possible, describe your super hero.

You can draw a picture, you can write a little story/background, you can sing a song, whatever. Use your imagination. I want you to tell me what your super hero looks like, what his name is, what his powers are, and why he's the greatest super hero out there.

From the entries I'll choose my five favorite super heroes/origin stories and their creators will receive Champions Online beta access and may even have your heroes featured on the Champions website.

Send your entries to cad.contest (at) gmail.com. The contest ends on Wednesday June 17th, and I'll announce the winners on Friday, June 19th.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well, I'm not really playing CoX right now either, but two play sessions of Champions in the beta so far didn't do anything to really impress me, and I've let a few of the scheduled sessions go without logging in.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Scooter wrote: »

I believe it's been mentioned in interviews, that the basic mode of combat is you have one basic attack on auto that builds energy when it fires, then you use that energy to use bigger attacks.

Their power setup is basically what they wanted to do in CoH alpha but couldn't balance at the time. Don't know of any other MMOs that work this way, but it's basically how p&p RPGs work.

@jeep, I know you're not supposed to use betas as free trials and all that, but tbh, based on what I've seen I won't be buying. It's mostly personal tastes in what I want in an MMO, I haven't seen any really glaring flaws, but if I want a better CoX then I'm just gonna wait for Going Rogue.

So it's WOW Warrior Rage? Or closer to Rogue Combo Points?

KiTA on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Owenashi wrote: »
    I dunno how popular or unpopular the guy behind 'Ctrl+Alt+Del' is around here, but I think those who want to be in the closed beta might be interested in this.
    Those of you that follow my Twitter may have deduced that I've been participating in the Champions Online closed beta for the last few months. While the NDA is still up and I can't talk specifics, I think it's alright to tell you that in that time I've seen the game make huge strides towards becoming a top notch game. It has a lot going for it, and it definitely feels like the spiritual successor to City of Heroes. It's also been one of the more impressive focused testing phases that I've been a part of.

But why take my word for it when you can be a part of the beta test yourself? Cryptic has given me five Champions Online beta slots to give away here on the website. What do you have to do? It's quite simple... as creatively as possible, describe your super hero.

You can draw a picture, you can write a little story/background, you can sing a song, whatever. Use your imagination. I want you to tell me what your super hero looks like, what his name is, what his powers are, and why he's the greatest super hero out there.

From the entries I'll choose my five favorite super heroes/origin stories and their creators will receive Champions Online beta access and may even have your heroes featured on the Champions website.

Send your entries to cad.contest (at) gmail.com. The contest ends on Wednesday June 17th, and I'll announce the winners on Friday, June 19th.

shhhhhh, I want to with that contest damn you!

Bucketman on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Rage would probably be closest I guess, as I don't think more endurance allows for bigger effects (like rogue combo points do) but I could easily be wrong.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Owenashi wrote: »

shhhhhh, I want to with that contest damn you!

Ewww Buckley. If you want to win you should make a Super Hero Cock sucker and write that all his super powers revolve around sucking Buckley's cock. Also something about miscarriages.

Aldo on
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Just out of curiosity, are there any CoH-style auto or toggle defenses in ChO? Since the freeform power selection seems to be a main selling point, this would make for some interesting combinations.

I've always wanted to make a character in CoH that combined a controller or blaster primary with a personal-defense secondary, but the archetypes don't allow for that (Fortunatas and Crabs may be exceptions).

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Just out of curiosity, are there any CoH-style auto or toggle defenses in ChO? Since the freeform power selection seems to be a main selling point, this would make for some interesting combinations.

I've always wanted to make a character in CoH that combined a controller or blaster primary with a personal-defense secondary, but the archetypes don't allow for that (Fortunatas and Crabs may be exceptions).

Every framework has it's own defenses, however you are able to select defensive powers from any framework.

So, if you want a guy with a fire defense and also he uses telepathy control powers? Okay! Whatever, man!

Pony on
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Rogue combo points, if combo points went from 1 to 100 and auto attack gave you combo points and everything else used them.

Cynic Jester on
This discussion has been closed.