As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Champions online!

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    How do stats work, Pony? Or are we not allowed to know because of the NDA?

Henroid on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    How do stats work, Pony? Or are we not allowed to know because of the NDA?

Fortunately, this was answered publicly in an Ask Cryptic, so I can talk about it
    * Strength – This improves the knockback abilities, knockback resistance, ability to break out of tangible holds, and affects what items your champion is able to pick-up and throw.
    * Dexterity – This improves your champion’s chance to land a critical attack and increases their chance to avoid attacks.
    * Constitution – This increases the health of your champion.
    * Intelligence – Increases the damage done by any combat pets your champion has, modifies the cooldown speed of powers, improves stealth detection and affects the energy cost of your champion’s powers.
    * Ego – Increases the damage your critical hits deal, improves the strength of hold powers, and increases the ability to break out of intangible holds.
    * Presence – Affects the amount of threat your champion generates and the amount of health your pets have.
    * Recovery – Determines the energy equilibrium for your champion and affects the rate your energy generating attacks grant energy.
    * Endurance – Determines the maximum energy of your champion and affects the rate your energy generating attacks grant energy.

Those are the stats and what they do.

Note that, on their own, your stats do not increase as you level. You need to pick Talents to raise them, and it only raises some of them (depends on the Talents you pick).

This is where you have to choose whether you want to be a generalist or if you want to specialize in a particular style of play.

If, for example, you want to play a dedicated tank, you're going to need more than just a high Constitution to soak damage: High Dexterity will help you mitigate the damage better, and a high Presence is key to generating threat and holding aggro.

All stats are helpful to all characters, but obviously, if you've got a role in mind some stats will be more important than others.

Pony on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    Note that, on their own, your stats do not increase as you level. You need to pick Talents to raise them, and it only raises some of them (depends on the Talents you pick).

That's what I was looking for, thanks. :D

Henroid on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    KiTA wrote: »
    Wait wait. This has Asheron's Call style roll-your-own classes? So so so preordered.

Yep. No classes. How your character plays is your choice. You choose how you want to build him, what powers he has from what frameworks.

It's your decision.

You can make a generalist who's good at several things, or you can make a focused tank or support or DPS character if you so choose.

It's all in your build. Which powers, talents, and advantages you pick dramatically affects how your character plays.

Don't forget about how you can select a "role" while grouping to enchance certain stats so you can fill in, like, the tank role in a pinch.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Don't forget about how you can select a "role" while grouping to enchance certain stats so you can fill in, like, the tank role in a pinch.

This is awesome.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I totally forgot about Roles!

Yeah, there's four different Roles in the game: Offense, Defense, Support, and Balanced.

By default, your character is set to Balanced.

Changing your Role alters the numbers of your powers and stuff. Defense lowers your damage, but increases your defensive powers and raises the amount of threat you generate. Offense does the exact opposite. I haven't used Support myself, but apparently it lowers your damage, defense, and threat but jacks up the values of all your support and utility abilities.

So, even if you don't have a dedicated tank on your team, someone with at least some modicum of defensive capability can crank on the Defense Role and tank in a pinch.

You can change your Role at any time, although there's something like a 10 minute cooldown between switching.

Pony on
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Yeah, there's four different Roles in the game: Offense, Defense, Support, and Balanced.

Changing your Role alters the numbers of your powers and stuff. Defense lowers your damage, but increases your defensive powers and raises the amount of threat you generate. Offense does the exact opposite. I haven't used Support myself, but apparently it lowers your damage, defense, and threat but jacks up the values of all your support and utility abilities.

So, even if you don't have a dedicated tank on your team, someone with at least some modicum of defensive capability can crank on the Defense Role and tank in a pinch.

You can change your Role at any time, although there's something like a 10 minute cooldown between switching.

Are the stat bonuses reduced for people who already have high values of those stats, or would a focused tank/support character always want to spec into that role to make themselves even better?

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Are the stat bonuses reduced for people who already have high values of those stats, or would a focused tank/support character always want to spec into that role to make themselves even better?

So far as I can tell, the bonuses/minuses for the Roles are flat values based on level, so if you were a dedicated tank by build, it'd make you better as a tank to be in Defensive Role. That said, it'd be interesting to see what would happen to build yourself as a tank by your Power/Talent/Advantage choices, and then choose Offensive as a Role.

I'll probably experiment with that myself.

Pony on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I really want to make a fire-based blaster with emerald green fire, ala Alan Scott:

180px-GreenLanternJSA14.jpg

Will this be possible? and/or badass?

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    powers can be any color you want

so, green fire guy? sure!

Pony on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sweet

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wait wait. This has Asheron's Call style roll-your-own classes? So so so preordered.

Yep. No classes. How your character plays is your choice. You choose how you want to build him, what powers he has from what frameworks.

It's your decision.

You can make a generalist who's good at several things, or you can make a focused tank or support or DPS character if you so choose.

It's all in your build. Which powers, talents, and advantages you pick dramatically affects how your character plays.

Are there respecs?

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

It's your decision.

Are there respecs?

Yes.

Pony on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I noticed the mention of "tangible holds" and "intangible holds." I'm assuming that would roughly equate to, say, Earth Control (encasing someone in giant balls of rock) and Mind Control, right? I like the fact that it's being divided up, being strong shouldn't help you break hypnosis.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

So far as I can tell, the bonuses/minuses for the Roles are flat values based on level, so if you were a dedicated tank by build, it'd make you better as a tank to be in Defensive Role. That said, it'd be interesting to see what would happen to build yourself as a tank by your Power/Talent/Advantage choices, and then choose Offensive as a Role.

Are these roles universally available, or only when grouped?

Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Dr. Face wrote: »

Are these roles universally available, or only when grouped?

Universally available.

Pony on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pony, is your global @Pony? We should team up and discuss super secret beta things at some point.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    I noticed the mention of "tangible holds" and "intangible holds." I'm assuming that would roughly equate to, say, Earth Control (encasing someone in giant balls of rock) and Mind Control, right? I like the fact that it's being divided up, being strong shouldn't help you break hypnosis.

Tangible holds are things that physically hold you in place (block of ice, binding chains, etc.)

Intangible holds are stuff that mentally hold you in place (fear, confuse, etc.)

Pony on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Pony, is your global @Pony? We should team up and discuss super secret beta things at some point.

my global is @Exact

Pony on
  • Options
    RaykefireRaykefire Devil by the Deed Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well it sounds like ChO will probably be getting a trial out of me in Sept...hell I might stick with it until TOR comes out.

Raykefire on
    3dS: 2852-8431-6782
    XBox: Raykefire
  • Options
    AkinosAkinos Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    New State of the Game from Bill Roper:

http://www.champions-online.com/node/75880

Akinos on
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I am all over this since I read about it in PCGamer last year. I was hooked since I read/heard about the whole "Nemesis" concept, which sounds like a really exciting direction to go in (especially if you're one of those roleplaying freaks like me). Roll on September!

Dunxco on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Well I'm glad they're going to get rid of that tutorial thing. It seemed to be the number 2 or 3 complaint people had against the game so far.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Magic RadioMagic Radio Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Akinos wrote: »

Why post this in the public section I wonder. Perhaps they goofed up and ment it for the preview sections.

Magic Radio on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yea, it's one of the main reasons I've hardly logged in the past few weeks. That and that my pc is probably right on the edge of the minimum requirements and it shows.

Scooter on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Scooter wrote: »
    Yea, it's one of the main reasons I've hardly logged in the past few weeks. That and that my pc is probably right on the edge of the minimum requirements and it shows.

I noticed my performance is a bit better today than in the last time I logged in. Hopefully the optimizations will keep coming.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    Spiffy MageSpiffy Mage Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Don't suppose you can toss out your system specs Scooter?
    Advanced warning of "You should upgrade" would be good.
    Because I keep reading this thread, and I keep wanting the game more and more.

Spiffy Mage on
  • Options
    AkinosAkinos Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Why post this in the public section I wonder. Perhaps they goofed up and ment it for the preview sections.

Nope, this one was specifically meant for everyone.

Akinos on
  • Options
    Magic RadioMagic Radio Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Nope, this one was specifically meant for everyone.

Yes I see now.
    to give you a taste of where the beta process is at and what you can expect as we get closer to launch. Without further ado: Bill Roper!

Way to rub it in my face I didn't get into the beta Cryptic. While the information is interesting: it has little meaning for me without seeing it first hand. Oh well, more interested in their videos with the cheesy voice acting by the dev team though.

Magic Radio on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh my god. Respecs are called "Retcons"

That is awesome.

EDIT: They're also going to make it so alternate characters can skip the tutorial. Great decision.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Man, I want to play this. You bastards.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    EDIT: They're also going to make it so alternate characters can skip the tutorial. Great decision.

Good decision because of its length, but slightly odd considering that you gain a fairly non-trivial amount of levels during the thing. Will they bump you up to level 5 when you skip it, or will you have to grind out a few levels in the post-tutorial areas?

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    CoX made you grind them out.

It wasn't a big deal. "real" enemies/missions gave considerably more xp than the tutorial crap so you could actually get those levels faster by skipping the tutorial.

I'm a huge fan of skipping tutorials as an option. Hell, even if it took somewhat longer outside the tutorial, it's gotta be better than "speak to this NPC to learn how to speak to NPC's!" for the umpteenth billion time.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited June 2009
    CoX made you grind them out.

It wasn't a big deal. "real" enemies/missions gave considerably more xp than the tutorial crap so you could actually get those levels faster by skipping the tutorial.

I'm a huge fan of skipping tutorials as an option. Hell, even if it took somewhat longer outside the tutorial, it's gotta be better than "speak to this NPC to learn how to speak to NPC's!" for the umpteenth billion time.

CoX made you grind -it- out. You only get one level up in the Villain tutorial. Not sure about the hero side.

Henroid on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yea, there's level 1 enemies in Atlas and it takes like 5 minutes to get to 2. ChO's tutorial can easily get you to level 6. A level 1 is not going to have fun killing 7s in Canada.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    It may be something akin to WoW's Death Knight handling. Once your account is registered as having done the tutorial all your characters from there on can start at level 5 or 6 or whatever the hell.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Scooter wrote: »
    Yea, there's level 1 enemies in Atlas and it takes like 5 minutes to get to 2. ChO's tutorial can easily get you to level 6. A level 1 is not going to have fun killing 7s in Canada.

Can the level 1s gain levels tobogganing?

Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    CoX made you grind -it- out. You only get one level up in the Villain tutorial. Not sure about the hero side.
    Same with hero-side.

Still, level 2 only takes a couple of minutes, whereas, depending on where your mission is in the very last part of Outbreak, you could either be in only a couple of minutes if the door is right behind Injun Joe or quite a bit longer due to having to hoof it all the way across the zone. Because, it always seems to be one or the other. Never in the middle.

GungHo on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wait, they're calling respecs "retcons"?

I love these guys.

KiTA on
  • Options
    ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Can some kind person cut and paste the State of the Game for those of us who are stuck behind a wall?

Shawnasee on
This discussion has been closed.