Options

Single person RPG's?

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Titan Quest plus the expansion pack can be had for $20 off of Steam. It's one of the better Diablo-clones around.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sacred and its expansion, Underworld is a possiblity. You can play through by yourself. I think you're given one companion temporarily, and any additional companions are fairly obscure.

Another idea would be Divine Divinity, I think. I haven't played very far into it.

Perhaps Avencast?

Doronron on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    MechMantis wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Battlespire and Daggerfall were AMAZING games. I wish the newer ones were like them.

Hey, maybe we should get our copies of Battlespire working and play some multiplayer over Hamachi.

It could be a good time.

Haha that would be awesome. I'd have to search for my copy somewhere in my box of "lost PC games". I think I tried installing it in XP once, but it didn't work.

However, this was before I had strong google-fu, so I may be able to get it working if I tried hard enough.

urahonky on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Shit.

SHIT SHIT SHIT, I should DIE for not mentioning this:

ULTIMA UNDERWORLD.

You must get. MUST. Dosboxable. GET GET GET.

GET.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    NoelVeigaNoelVeiga Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Shit.

SHIT SHIT SHIT, I should DIE for not mentioning this:

ULTIMA UNDERWORLD.

You must get. MUST. Dosboxable. GET GET GET.

GET.

Oooh. Second.

Also, I hear Arx Fatalis is pretty good, but I got my copy with a magazine and it was in bad shape, so I can't say for sure.

NoelVeiga on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Arx Fatalis apparently has an easter egg spell that'll make the graphics look like Ultima Underworld. Never tried it, though.

Doronron on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Arx Fatalis was good, but you can't beat the awesomeness that was Ultima Underworld. Rose colored glasses may apply, but every so often I'll re-install it and start playing again. It's still fun.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Neverwinter Nights, maybe. Just don't pick up any party members.

Might be difficult, though.

Well, the other characters are run by the AI in NWN... Don't know if that fulfills the OP's requirements. Playing through totally solo would probably be pretty tough.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Well, the other characters are run by the AI in NWN... Don't know if that fulfills the OP's requirements. Playing through totally solo would probably be pretty tough.

Not if you're a fighter-rogue specializing in greatswords. Why? Two words:

Sneak. Attack.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Geneforge should be another good addition to the list - it's pretty much a single player RPG where the only party members you can get are monsters you summoned.

The story is pretty good and any computer can pretty much run it with no problems.

Warning: it's a low-budget game hence the minimal graphics - but if you can get past it, you'll get a really addictive RPG.

Not related to single player RPGs: if you're ever itching for a dungeon crawler game or a rouge-ish style game, Eterian Odyssey is another excellent choice.
    While the graphics might be anime-like, the closest comparison to this type of games are Bard's Tale, Might n Magic, and Wizardry games.
    If you like any of those type of games, you'll be badly addicted to EO.

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Vagrant Story

Samphis on
  • Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I would really like to try Eschalon, but the cost of the full game puts me off a bit. If it was $20, I'd totally bite.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    How long would a tour of Ultima Underworld take if I've never played it? I've had it sitting on my computer for a long time (probably from an abandonware site) but haven't added it to my backlog yet.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Sneak. Attack.
    Until every fucking enemy in the later levels turns out to be both immune to criticals and sneak attacks. I really dislike both NWN and NWN 2 for being so goddamn Rogue unfriendly.

By the way, MechMantis, I should be flogged for not mentioning that I've played and completed both Underworld games several times. Hell, it's basically what I'm looking for. It's a damn shame that it's pretty much only Bethesda that makes these kind of games nowadays.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Devil Whiskey is pretty old school, but it's more like Bard's Tale than Ultima Underworld.

Doronron on
  • Options
    MidViciousMidVicious Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    NoelVeiga wrote: »

If you're willing to go oldie and Ultima 7 rings a bell, look up a game called "Veil of Darkness". It's one of my all-time favourites. Also the Genesis version of Shadowrun...

I love you.

Also... I have a Shadowrun Rom for Genesis that I heavily modded to make the game even funner with more immersion. It changes weapons, armor, shadowrunners, etc. and provides more of a challenge and better balance. Let me know anyone who is interested.

Also... Shadowrun for Genesis is probably the greatest non-fantasy RPG in the 16-bit era. Sorry to say but the SNES version, although fun at times, sucked rotten dogshit in comparison.

MidVicious on
    "When you're in the type of business we're in, you don't get a criminal lawyer, you get a criminal lawyer!"
    -- Jesse, Breaking Bad
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Bloody hell, while rifling through my gaming library in the attic I found this old gem, http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/legends-of-valour. Legends of Valour was something of a proto-Arena in which you are trapped inside a city while a plague ravages the countryside. You had several guilds that you could join and there were plenty of quests to embark upon. I recall that trying to raise enough cash for food and rent was pretty much the greatest challenge in the early to middle parts of the game.

I'd love to see another game like this since it had a lot of promise but lacked a lot of presentation. Although the manual was pretty hilarious to read.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    NoelVeigaNoelVeiga Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Silpheed wrote: »

Sneak. Attack.
    Until every fucking enemy in the later levels turns out to be both immune to criticals and sneak attacks. I really dislike both NWN and NWN 2 for being so goddamn Rogue unfriendly.

By the way, MechMantis, I should be flogged for not mentioning that I've played and completed both Underworld games several times. Hell, it's basically what I'm looking for. It's a damn shame that it's pretty much only Bethesda that makes these kind of games nowadays.

You dislike them for being Rogue unfriendly? Heh. I for some reason obsessed with playing pure magic users in the infinity games. Yeah, I like pain.

So if you do love UW, then the Arx Fatalis plug is particularly accurate, right?

Oh, and also the Might & Magic RPGs. They were up there with the TES until they stopped making them and turned the series into crappy FPSs instead.

NoelVeiga on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Okay, I get it now.

There's no real point to putting a list of games played in the original post anyway. :) Sorry for my criticism.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Roguelikes.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The Witcher.
    The Witcher.
    The Witcher.

Seriously, it wees on most of the competition from high above.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StriferStrifer Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Nthing The Witcher.

Try Spellforce. It's a mix of RPG with RTS elements.

You might also want to take a stab at any PS2 SMT game. They may have parties, but it's not some crazy unmanageable D&D that you have to pour half your life over to understand it (obvious exaggeration).

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Dragon Warrior.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Dragon Warrior.
    Haha, have to admit that one came to mind as well when I was racking my brand.

The OP had better give us an update with what he's decided to play, if anything. That is another mark of a bad suggestion-request post, but I have full faith in this guy now. :)

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    RenegenRenegen Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I played Arx Fatalis before playing Ultima Underworld and that game pretty much owns. Few games match its immersion and the way you cast magic is very original. Ark Fatalis actually allowed me to get into Ultima Underworld. They're basically the same game, just get Arx Fatalis.

Oh and go download Betrayal at Kronder, it's freeware released by Sierra. One of the best RPGs period, you won't even notice the graphics.

Renegen on
    ---Yeah
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The Witcher, maybe? I haven't played it yet myself, but it's a single player RPG that has somewhere around 60 hours of gameplay. 2.0 is coming out in March and it's going to fix quite a bit.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Is Arx Fatalis a long, grindy, open RPG or can it be completedly in a reasonable 20-30 hours?

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This thread is a hilarious example of lack of reading comprehension, eh?

You seem to know your RPGs well. The only single character RPGish game I remember that I enjoyed and that ISN'T mentioned here is Ultima8. BUT some people tend to dislike it- it's up to you.

Mayday on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Tim James wrote: »
    Is Arx Fatalis a long, grindy, open RPG or can it be completedly in a reasonable 20-30 hours?

Very hard to say, I don't remember. It is not a 70 hour RPG, unless you make it so. But there aren't a lot of PC RPGs that extend that much.

Deus Ex for example is a 20-40 hour RPG, still no one complains about the length do they?

Arx Fatalis is definitively long enough.

Renegen on
    ---Yeah
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If it takes anyone 40 hours to complete Deus Ex they are playing it wrong.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Wow, didn't expect that many replies while I was at the cinema :)

Regarding what I've decided to play: I'll probably have a look at Eschalon, Geneforge and the genesis version of Shadowrun. I owned the SNES version but I never tried the Genesis version since it was never released in my part of the word, as far as I know at least.

Thanks for the all the helpful replies but feel free to give more suggestions. I'm sure that there are other people looking for good RPG's and I appreciate every little suggestion.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The Snes version is better.

Both are great though.

LewieP on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Space Rangers 2 was a very good game in the Starflight/Star Control 2/Escape Velocity style. Kind of quirky and all over the place, I think it was developed in Russia. It had the worst real-time strategy game ever made bolted on as an in-game series of optional quests, which you could thankfully choose to ignore.

Did anyone play Star Wolves? It was a real-time tactical RPG with spaceships, and I played a demo for it a few years ago and enjoyed it, but never saw the full game released. Mobygames says it never came out in the US, but the sequel did, over Gamersgate. If anyone did play it, how was it?

Orogogus on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Silpheed wrote: »
    Geneforge and the genesis version of Shadowrun.

Both are good choices.

With Geneforge, I'll caution that it can be extremely punishing if you do things stupidly. Melee combat can be extremely lethal both ways after the first few areas.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Shifty_CalhounShifty_Calhoun Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I may be considdered a sicko here but I liked the might and magic series. Something about the turn based rpg that I liked as I could walk away from the screen and make a coffee and come back and resume the game. The puzzles were challenging and the environment was large. Anyway it has my vote as it was my first ..no second rpg experience but the first rpg in a fantasy setting. My first was 'mars saga' on the C64 (aka mines of titan on pc).

I had played shadowrun as well and I very much liked it.

I will go seek out the witcher soon.

Shifty_Calhoun on
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Jesus Christ, Shifty. This is a SINGLE PERSON RPG thread.
    AKA NOT party based dungeon crawl thread.

(although I do consider M&M3-5 to be some of the best pbdc (?!) games ever).

Mayday on
  • Options
    Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sacred

(If I'm the first to have mentioned Sacred, I will be roundly disappointed with the PA crowd's taste. I might even frown.)

Edit: Also Dungeon Lords... you can buy it stupidly cheap these days.. but be aware only the Collector's Edition is worth buying.

Rigor Mortis on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Edit: Also Dungeon Lords... you can buy it stupidly cheap these days.. but be aware only the Collector's Edition is worth buying.
    I always got the impression that Dungeon Lords was a horrible, buggy piece of crap. Did it change after a couple of patches?

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    No. The best is closing a door behind you and locking yourself inside the room forever. And don't expect a noclip at your finger tips. Ah, what fun it must be to live in a world of no logic D:

Renegen on
    ---Yeah
  • Options
    Shifty_CalhounShifty_Calhoun Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Mayday wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, Shifty. This is a SINGLE PERSON RPG thread.
    AKA NOT party based dungeon crawl thread.

(although I do consider M&M3-5 to be some of the best pbdc (?!) games ever).

My bad. I thought it was a single player rpg as in not a mmorpg.

Shifty_Calhoun on