Options

Single person RPG's?

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Silpheed wrote: »
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Neverwinter Nights, maybe. Just don't pick up any party members.

Might be difficult, though.

Well, the other characters are run by the AI in NWN... Don't know if that fulfills the OP's requirements. Playing through totally solo would probably be pretty tough.

Not if you're a fighter-rogue specializing in greatswords. Why? Two words:

Sneak. Attack.
    Until every fucking enemy in the later levels turns out to be both immune to criticals and sneak attacks. I really dislike both NWN and NWN 2 for being so goddamn Rogue unfriendly.

By the way, MechMantis, I should be flogged for not mentioning that I've played and completed both Underworld games several times. Hell, it's basically what I'm looking for. It's a damn shame that it's pretty much only Bethesda that makes these kind of games nowadays.

Well that's what the great sword is for!

Later on you don't NEED sneak attacks!

MechMantis on
  • Options
    HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I suppose there's always Fable for the ten hours it lasts.

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Look I know you think "Oh space game it doesn't have swords how could I possibly role-play that at all!" But seriously.

Escape Velcoity is one of the finest single-person, single-player Action-RPGs I have ever played. It's just dang addictive. It comes closer to making me feel like a spaceship captain than any other game and it is also awesome.

Also, I just want to third Geneforge, brilliant game all around. The graphics get to you for maybe 2 minutes and then you forget and focus on the fact that the entire game is awesome.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Heretic. :P

Also both Fallouts should be disqualified as you can have a party.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Shifty_CalhounShifty_Calhoun Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Vagrant Story

Did it only come out on ps1? I liked that game and its unique combat system.

Shifty_Calhoun on
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I cannot stress enough System Shock 2. If you liked Deus Ex, it's somewhat in the same vein as a shooter/RPG hybrid (lol pun) but the RPG aspect is in the form of stats and such, because the story doesn't allow for much character interaction.

edit: it's about as single person as you get.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Final Fantasy tactics

Single player "challenge"

(I put challenge in quotation marks because really, when you can make your main character move three times for each enemies move... its not that challenging)

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    MasoniteMasonite Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Renegen wrote: »
    Tim James wrote: »
    Is Arx Fatalis a long, grindy, open RPG or can it be completedly in a reasonable 20-30 hours?

Very hard to say, I don't remember. It is not a 70 hour RPG, unless you make it so. But there aren't a lot of PC RPGs that extend that much.

Deus Ex for example is a 20-40 hour RPG, still no one complains about the length do they?

Arx Fatalis is definitively long enough.

I don't know how you could put 70+ hours into Arx, unless you play through it multiple times. Eventually everything will be dead, and you'll just be passing the time looking for things to do.

Like fishing. Though I don't know if that's even possible because I never tried. I never ran out of food, so I never had to bother.

Masonite on
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I noticed some people here strongly recommended Vampire: Bloodlines. That was one game I managed to completely overlook when it came out. Is it a really good game? For $20 bucks I'm seriously considering picking it up, especially since I'm a WoD fan. How much have those unofficial patches added?

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I noticed some people here strongly recommended Vampire: Bloodlines. That was one game I managed to completely overlook when it came out. Is it a really good game? For $20 bucks I'm seriously considering picking it up, especially since I'm a WoD fan. How much have those unofficial patches added?

Right now there are two separate and different unofficial patches. One of them fixes bugs and nothing else, and the other one puts content back into the game that got cut before release, stuff like extra dialogue options and (maybe? this might be a different patch I'm thinking of) extra vampire classes to play.

For the first time through, I'd recommend just getting the bugfix patch and not worry about the extra dialogue. The game is good enough without it. Even with the bugfixes, though, it's still going to be a little bit glitchy; it's the nature of the pre-HL2 Source beast. There are a couple of problems with clipping and disappearing textures, but if you can get past it there's some pretty great game in there. Each class is different enough to warrant playing through with a different class every time, and there are a bunch of endings depending what choices you make at the end of the game. (Personally, I would've liked to see your choices during the game play a bigger role, but it's still a pretty sweet mechanic, so I'll let it slide.) Oh, and the game's also really, really funny. Especially if you play as Malkavian.

Go get it.

freakish light on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

I played through the game with the official 1.2 patch, and I enjoyed the entire game. Seriously pick it up.

urahonky on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    urahonky wrote: »

I played through the game with the official 1.2 patch, and I enjoyed the entire game. Seriously pick it up.
    Seconded, Bloodlines is one of those games that everyone should play at least once. I'd say that this game was a worthy last game for Troika before they went under.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Hmmm....for the same amount of money I can either get The Witcher or Bloodlines and Temple of Elemental Evil...what to do...

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The Witcher is down to 20 bucks and ToEE is still that expensive? I thought I grabbed it from Half.com for cheap.

I'd go with Bloodlines out of those. It's kind of in-between the other two games in some ways.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Hmmm....for the same amount of money I can either get The Witcher or Bloodlines and Temple of Elemental Evil...what to do...

Honestly Bloodlines is much better than The Witcher (to me). I'd say go for Bloodlines first.

urahonky on
  • Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The Witcher is down to 20 bucks and ToEE is still that expensive? I thought I grabbed it from Half.com for cheap.

I'd go with Bloodlines out of those. It's kind of in-between the other two games in some ways.

Where is the Witcher $20?

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

I can get Bloodlines AND ToEE for that price is what I meant. :D

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    My only concern with the Witcher is that my machine may struggle to run it. I've got an Athlon 3200, 1 GB of RAM and a 6600GT. I'm not concerned about having to run it at low settings, but I'm concerned that it won't run well enough to be enjoyable.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    My only concern with the Witcher is that my machine may struggle to run it. I've got an Athlon 3200, 1 GB of RAM and a 6600GT. I'm not concerned about having to run it at low settings, but I'm concerned that it won't run well enough to be enjoyable.

To be honest, my friend had a machine that was a Quad Core processor, but the same graphics card as you, and it was unplayable to him. I don't know what "enjoyable" is for you, but 2-3 minute load times might get really annoying.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

To be honest, my friend had a machine that was a Quad Core processor, but the same graphics card as you, and it was unplayable to him. I don't know what "enjoyable" is for you, but 2-3 minute load times might get really annoying.

Eek. Bloodlines/ToEE it is! :D

I hear they're supposed to be fixing some of those load issues come May, so I may as well wait until then to grab it anyways.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

I can get Bloodlines AND ToEE for that price is what I meant. :D
    Ah, sorry, my reading comprehension does suck in this thread for some reason.

If that's the case, and definitely given your PC, go with the two Troika cult classics. The Witcher will still be there when you're ready to play it.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Their first patch helped out a lot, but it's still pretty bad. Bioware's patches are really good in general, so picking it up in May might be a good idea.

(I might restart my game when that patch comes out.)

Now let's hope EA fixes my Crysis issue. (The DVD makes a LOUD clicking sound when I put it in my Lite-ON DVD drive. Apparently there's been a major issue on this, and EA has not responded to anyone's claims. I still have a ticket open from January 3rd of this year, and haven't received a response yet.)

urahonky on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Their first patch helped out a lot, but it's still pretty bad. Bioware's patches are really good in general, so picking it up in May might be a good idea.

(I might restart my game when that patch comes out.)

Now let's hope EA fixes my Crysis issue. (The DVD makes a LOUD clicking sound when I put it in my Lite-ON DVD drive. Apparently there's been a major issue on this, and EA has not responded to anyone's claims. I still have a ticket open from January 3rd of this year, and haven't received a response yet.)

Hi5, same thing happened to me. It should work just fine.

At least it did in my experience. No damage to drive or disc.

EDIT: And to make this on topic, I third Sacred. I had a Gladiator who would just wreck anything with his 3-Attack combo and dual swords. The Constitution skill made him near invulnerable.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Order placed! New copies of Bloodlines and ToEE are on their way to my hot little hands as we speak! Wahoo!

Can't wait to try 'em out. Thanks for the advice, all, and sorry to derail the thread for a bit.

Sounds like I need to check out Sacred, too, sounds fun.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Yeah it doesn't seem like it's going to hurt the disc or anything (from what I read it's because of the Anti-Piracy thing they put on the disc), but damn it takes 10 minutes till I can get into the game because it'll just click.

Also if I leave the disc in my drive and restart my computer... The computer will try and boot from the DVD, thus making it click again for 5 minutes. It's more annoying than anything :P I hope it'll get resolved with the next patch or something.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Order placed! New copies of Bloodlines and ToEE are on their way to my hot little hands as we speak! Wahoo!

Can't wait to try 'em out. Thanks for the advice, all, and sorry to derail the thread for a bit.

You could have bought Bloodlines on Steam for $20 :P

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Yeah, I got it for 21 on half.com, so no big loss. I actually prefer to have the boxed version anyways.

I still can't believe I got ToEE for 4 bucks! Crazy awesome.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Yeah, I got it for 21 on half.com, so no big loss. I actually prefer to have the boxed version anyways.

Is it Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines? Because I thought there were two versions out... Either way, the game is sweet and $21 for the box isn't bad at all.

Enjoy good sir!

urahonky on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    AFAIK Vampire - The Masquerade: Bloodlines is Bloodlines.

Though there is also the precursor to that, Vampire - The Masquerade: Redemption. /shrug

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Is it Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines? Because I thought there were two versions out... Either way, the game is sweet and $21 for the box isn't bad at all.

Enjoy good sir!

Yep, it's VTM: Bloodlines. There are still several copies new and sealed over there for around 21, if anyone else is interested.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    AFAIK Vampire - The Masquerade: Bloodlines is Bloodlines.

Though there is also the precursor to that, Vampire - The Masquerade: Redemption. /shrug

Ugh. I remember being all excited about that game because it was VTM. Man was it ever God-awful.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Shooter McgavinShooter Mcgavin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I second Fable. Get the Lost Chapters version. Take your time with it, play all the side quests, and you'll have a lot of fun and it'll be longer than 10 hours.

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, I actually enjoyed Fable quite a bit. The second one looks to be amazing, so you'll be setting yourself up for good times in the future.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I second Fable. Get the Lost Chapters version. Take your time with it, play all the side quests, and you'll have a lot of fun and it'll be longer than 10 hours.
    I bought the PC version for 5 euro and that was a good price for the game IMHO. It also allowed me to use a trainer to "freeze" my age at 20 or 25, since the aging system always annoyed the hell out of me.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    Shooter McgavinShooter Mcgavin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I bought the PC version for 5 euro and that was a good price for the game IMHO. It also allowed me to use a trainer to "freeze" my age at 20 or 25, since the aging system always annoyed the hell out of me.

Oh sweet. That's almost worth checking out the PC version for.

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Definitely. It would've been fine to see the character mature as he leveled up, but getting old and grey was just no good.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Definitely. It would've been fine to see the character mature as he leveled up, but getting old and grey was just no good.
    Getting old and grey would have been fine if the rest of the characters aged as well but unfortunatly it didn't work that way. It just seemed so damn silly to be twentysomething when you went to the guild to level up and suddenly turned 50 once you had assigned the skill points you wanted.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    MasoniteMasonite Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    defrag wrote: »

Where is the Witcher $20?

I think it's actually down to $40. You might want to check F.Y.E. though. I was at the one in Concord Mills a couple weeks ago and they were having a '50% off all PC games' sale. It might have just been them clearing out their PC game inventory; or not, it wouldn't hurt to look.

Masonite on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Heh, I started up Gothic today and I discovered that I've forgotten pretty much everything about the game, so I'll play it for a while until I have the funds for Escatlon and Geneforge. I have to say that I really love the survival aspect of this game.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Two people already said it, but Vagrant Story.

It's one big dungeon crawl.

Renzo on