Options

Single person RPG's?

• Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Silpheed wrote: »
    Heh, I started up Gothic today and I discovered that I've forgotten pretty much everything about the game, so I'll play it for a while until I have the funds for Escatlon and Geneforge. I have to say that I really love the survival aspect of this game.

I never could get into Gothic for some reason. Geneforge looks really fun, I've been eyeing that one for a while now.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Shifty_CalhounShifty_Calhoun Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Renzo wrote: »
    Two people already said it, but Vagrant Story.

It's one big dungeon crawl.

Has there been any dungeon crawler game with the same battle system since VS? Closest thing I could think of is parasite eve but that isnt quite the same at all.

Shifty_Calhoun on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Has there been any dungeon crawler game with the same battle system since VS? Closest thing I could think of is parasite eve but that isnt quite the same at all.

Nope, it was pretty unique from what I remember. I did love VS, but I have trouble playing PS One RPGs these days - those low-grade polygons are downright horrible. I tried to go back and play FFVII a while ago and I almost threw up. True story.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I've just tried out the Genesis version of Shadowrun and I have to say that it's far more fun than I thought it would be. I'm still getting my feet wet but I might pop in again in this thread to ask for some hints or gameplay advice.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Nope, it was pretty unique from what I remember. I did love VS, but I have trouble playing PS One RPGs these days - those low-grade polygons are downright horrible. I tried to go back and play FFVII a while ago and I almost threw up. True story.

I'm playing VS right now.

FFXII is similar in look and feel to VS, even though the control is vastly different, and it's of course a party-based game. Still, it has a LOT of dungeon crawling and a fuckton of sidequests and optional bosses.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I don't if anyone has mentioned these yet, but how are Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity?

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I don't if anyone has mentioned these yet, but how are Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity?

I've heard that they are both competent Diablo II clones. I don't think you're going to find anything special, but if you like D2-style games you're probably safe. Don't take my word for it, though, I haven't played either one.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Shooter McgavinShooter Mcgavin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Oh man, I forgot about the Divinity games.

They are awesome, and you can get them super cheap. Imagine the gameplay of Diablo, set in a completely ENORMOUS hand-crafted world ala Morrowind, with side-quests and dungeons and awesomeness.

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Oh man, I forgot about the Divinity games.

They are awesome, and you can get them super cheap. Imagine the gameplay of Diablo, set in a completely ENORMOUS hand-crafted world ala Morrowind, with side-quests and dungeons and awesomeness.

Sounds fun. Which did you like better, Divinity or Sacred? (Assuming you played them both)

I've heard both are good, trying to decide which to get next.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Shooter McgavinShooter Mcgavin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    well, I haven't played Sacred THAT much, but I hear it's more fast-paced and Diablo-ish than the Divinity games.

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ooooooooh
    I just remembered another FANTASTIC single person RPG.

ADOM.

Mayday on
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Mass Effect is coming to the PC in May.

If you haven't played the game on the 360, you need to play it on the PC. It has action, story, and dialogue. "Loot" isn't as relevant, but there is extensive weapon and armor choices/customization.

Although the game is single player, you always have two other people in your "party."

Daemonion on
  • Options
    Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Edit: Also Dungeon Lords... you can buy it stupidly cheap these days.. but be aware only the Collector's Edition is worth buying.
    I always got the impression that Dungeon Lords was a horrible, buggy piece of crap. Did it change after a couple of patches?
    It seems it wasn't so much patches as a complete re-release :P, but it ended up a decent game eventually. Too late to salvage any good press, but IMHO worth a try if you can find it in a bargain bin somewhere.

Rigor Mortis on
  • Options
    KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Now that the games been out for a long while, and the dust has settled, how is Jade Empire (PC)? Is it worth picking up? Sorry if it's been mentioned already; I couldn't find it in my quick scan of this thread.

Kris on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Kris wrote: »
    Now that the games been out for a long while, and the dust has settled, how is Jade Empire (PC)? Is it worth picking up? Sorry if it's been mentioned already; I couldn't find it in my quick scan of this thread.

My roommate bought it for the Xbox (it was released on the original Xbox, right?) and his girlfriend can't stop playing it. I hear it's a good game, worth playing through at any rate, just nothing totally awesome.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    NativityInBlackNativityInBlack Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Get Bloodlines off Steam it's a steal and you will be playing quickly.

Also give Witcher a spin it's freaking sweet.

NativityInBlack on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Kris wrote: »

I can't speak to the PC version but personally I loved the original XBox game. Nothing groundbreaking in terms of story or gameplay, but it's a solid game that you'll have a lot of fun with while it lasts.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    well, I haven't played Sacred THAT much, but I hear it's more fast-paced and Diablo-ish than the Divinity games.

Well, I found the unedited UK version of Sacred new in the box for 13 bucks so I couldn't pass that up. Divine Divinity will almost definitely be my next purchase though.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Well, I found the unedited UK version of Sacred new in the box for 13 bucks so I couldn't pass that up. Divine Divinity will almost definitely be my next purchase though.
    Unedited? What was censored from Sacred?

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Unedited? What was censored from Sacred?

They toned down the violence for some idiotic reason.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Blood and gore. Some suggestive dialogue from NPCs. I think it's the only RPG I've played where the magic user attempted to be practical as an adventurer (also something of an ass), rather than an academic.

Doronron on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Doronron wrote: »
    Blood and gore. Some suggestive dialogue from NPCs. I think it's the only RPG I've played where the magic user attempted to be practical as an adventurer (also something of an ass), rather than an academic.
    Well, he is a Warrior Mage after all, so I guess that a certain sense of practicality is just prudent for a man in his position. By the way, what issues of Sacred was "sanitized"?

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Monsters gibbed, and some of the barmaids would come on to your character. One NPC, not sure if this was in the US version or not, would've been sold into slavery. Things like that. Not entirely worth going out and picking up the Euro version unless you really want blood splatter.

Even with the expansion pack, I think the mage was my favorite class in the game. It was fun figuring out how to collect permanent henchmen (the Minotaur was neat). I enjoyed snagging paired lightsabers for the Seraphim. Never got Jason's Mask and Machete for the Gladiator, though.

Doronron on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Monsters gibbed, and some of the barmaids would come on to your character. One NPC, not sure if this was in the US version or not, would've been sold into slavery. Things like that. Not entirely worth going out and picking up the Euro version unless you really want blood splatter.

Even with the expansion pack, I think the mage was my favorite class in the game. It was fun figuring out how to collect permanent henchmen (the Minotaur was neat). I enjoyed snagging paired lightsabers for the Seraphim. Never got Jason's Mask and Machete for the Gladiator, though.
    Since I live in the E.U I take it that I have the uncensored edition, right? Hell, maybe I should reinstall Sacred again. Did the expansion bring anything worthwhile to the gameplay?

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    You should, yes. Unless you imported? How long ago did you buy the game? Did you ever mess with the Sacred Plus patch?

The expansion adds a new act's worth of zone(s) to explore and monsters to kill.

The Dwarf is pretty fun. You can steampunk a bit and use guns, or go traditional with big fucking axes and hammers. He's also not bad as a brawler.

The Succubus is alright -- kind of a cross between the Vampiress and the Dark Elf.

If you like tooling around with new classes, it adds quite a bit to the game.

Doronron on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    You should, yes. Unless you imported? How long ago did you buy the game? Did you ever mess with the Sacred Plus patch?

The expansion adds a new act's worth of zone(s) to explore and monsters to kill.

The Dwarf is pretty fun. You can steampunk a bit and use guns, or go traditional with big fucking axes and hammers. He's also not bad as a brawler.

The Succubus is alright -- kind of a cross between the Vampiress and the Dark Elf.

Dwarf - the only race so badass it deserves its own class. :D

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008

What about the Dark Elf and the Wood Elf? ;-)

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

It's... um... uhhhhhh

Damn you, Sacred. Damn you to hell. D:

edit: See, it's the game's fault I have reading comprehension issues.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    So now that I've been revealed to be the giant moron that I am...

The dwarf sounds hellaciously fun. I didn't realize when I saw that class that steampunk-style dwarves would be possible, and it just makes me want to play this game even more.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

It's... um... uhhhhhh

No no no. The elves are just two classes of the same race.

Dark Elf, Wood Elf.

See? Now if there was just Elf, then he'd have a case. But there isn't, so he doesn't.

So you aren't a moron.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    MechMantis wrote: »

It's... um... uhhhhhh

No no no. The elves are just two classes of the same race.

Dark Elf, Wood Elf.

See? Now if there was just Elf, then he'd have a case. But there isn't, so he doesn't.

So you aren't a moron.

I totally knew that! :P

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    The Dwarf is a good introductory character for the game since just about everything he does, he can do well.

The Dark Elf and Wood Elf start out as each other's companions at the beginning of the game. If you break the quest line by heading to the next town as the Dark Elf, you can keep the Wood Elf as a permanent companion. If they didn't patch it out, she's immortal and can only be knocked unconscious whereas the other non-plot NPC companions you pick up can "die" and show up at a lower level in the first town. The Wood Elf's ranged attack complements the mass poison damage the Dark Elf does, if you don't mind seething with generic rage the entire game.

Doronron on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    if you don't mind seething with generic rage the entire game.

No, I generally tend to do that anyways. :lol:

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Since there's a lot of Sacred masturbation going on, I thought I'd throw out that there is a sequel coming. I hadn't even known until today...

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah.

One of the characters was a war hero, who was killed in battle, and then he "lived" in the equivalent of Valhalla.

Then the Elves resurrected him, yanking him from his afterlife paradise. He's not too happy about that.

So he's smoldering with generic rage. And with good reason.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Since there's a lot of Sacred masturbation going on, I thought I'd throw out that there is a sequel coming. I hadn't even known until today...

I saw that on the official site while I was trying to find info on the game. Looks really good, too, and it's being published by cdv, who did the Divinity games.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Then the Elves resurrected him, yanking him from his afterlife paradise.

Those fucking elves!

Mayday on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Mayday wrote: »
    Then the Elves resurrected him, yanking him from his afterlife paradise.

Those fucking elves!

Yeah, they're always doing crap like that.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Looks like the version of Sacred I had was Sacred+. Does that mean that I have a slightly "sanitized" version then? Also, would anyone help me in deciding what skills I should focus on as a Battlemage.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Looks like the version of Sacred I had was Sacred+. Does that mean that I have a slightly "sanitized" version then? Also, would anyone help me in deciding what skills I should focus on as a Battlemage.

I don't think so, as long as you have the European version. Sacred Plus was just the original game with a mini-expansion tacked on.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png