Options

Single person RPG's?

• Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I just had a look at a few new RPG titles on the PC and I wondered if there's anyone who have played or read a review about these games. The games I'm refering to are:
    Avencast-Rise of the Mage
    Hard to be a God
    Silverfall (this one isn't that new though)

If you have played this, feel free to give me your impressions of whatever title you have played.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    NoelVeigaNoelVeiga Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Silpheed wrote: »
    I just had a look at a few new RPG titles on the PC and I wondered if there's anyone who have played or read a review about these games. The games I'm refering to are:
    Avencast-Rise of the Mage
    Hard to be a God
    Silverfall (this one isn't that new though)

If you have played this, feel free to give me your impressions of whatever title you have played.

Hard to be a God has been getting some awful reviews. Silverfall is supposed to be ok and I don't know much about Avencast.

NoelVeiga on
  • Options
    DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I got about halfway through Silverfall. It's basically tech=evil, magic=good. The undead surge being basically steampunk frankenstein monsters was pretty neat. Hand to Hand combat worked really well, but you end up earning so many skill points, you'll eventually max out everything. Code is a bit unoptimized, so some areas will be clunky no matter how powerful your system is. Ranged weapons seem to be worthless, but if you pan the camera down to the horizon, you can get much longer shots.

I tried the demo for Avencast. It takes time to get used to the control scheme -- it's a lot more involved than simple point and click interfaces on most action RPGs. I've heard the ingame puzzles are pretty cool. I think the thing that surprised me the most, though, was going on the official forums and not finding half the threads devoted to bitching about how crappy the game is because of X or Y. That might be because the game is actually good (it does have potential), or perhaps the mods on their forums kill negative threads pretty quick. Not sure.

Doronron on
  • Options
    SeruleSerule Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Titan Quest is a decent Diablo clone.

Serule on
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Serule wrote: »

I've eyed TQ for a while now, but never have picked it up. I'm sure I'll get it eventually. Does it try hard to be a clone or does it actually attempt to break the mold a bit?

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RenegenRenegen Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I played Avencast. It is a diablo clone. Very very boring. You're a mage, can't change that fact. It starts out cool, you're this Harry Potter wannabe, but it's just very boring hack and slash. Nothing seriously wrong with the game, you might like it, but I couldn't bear myself to finish it.

I highly recommend Sacred. I still haven't played Titan Quest. Who knew creating a Diablo clone could be so hard? Half of them suck. It doesn't seem difficult, Diablo is so formulaic.

The Chosen : Dawn of Souls got really bad reviews in all major websites but Amazon gave it good reviews. Guerilla Marketing? I played the demo, it's cool. It happens in this 1920s kind of universe and you have all kinds of cool weapons. I like the atmosphere, the demo was descent. Might want to try it out.

Fate is also descent. It's basically Diablo 1.

Renegen on
    ---Yeah
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So I tried to get Battlespire installed on my computer, and it won't even run. :( I even tried it in DOSBox, but nothing works. I might just have to build an OLD rig and slap Windows 95 on it to get it to run.

Daggerfall works great with DOSBox, however. I love that game... It's so damn HUGE. The cities in Daggerfall put Oblivion to shame.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    So I tried to get Battlespire installed on my computer, and it won't even run. :( I even tried it in DOSBox, but nothing works. I might just have to build an OLD rig and slap Windows 95 on it to get it to run.

Daggerfall works great with DOSBox, however. I love that game... It's so damn HUGE. The cities in Daggerfall put Oblivion to shame.

True. I always wondered why people praised the scope of Oblivion and Morrowind. They're tiny compared with Daggerfall. I loved how each province even had its own jurisdiction and you could escape prosecution by running for the border.

They should have praised the variety in those games instead. The one flaw in Daggerfall was too much procedural content creating identical towns, dungeons and quests all over the place. They should make a new procedural TES using current tech. Oblivion pretty much maxed out their current gameplay model. It's time for something new.

NoelVeiga on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    NoelVeiga wrote: »

True. I always wondered why people praised the scope of Oblivion and Morrowind. They're tiny compared with Daggerfall. I loved how each province even had its own jurisdiction and you could escape prosecution by running for the border.

They should have praised the variety in those games instead. The one flaw in Daggerfall was too much procedural content creating identical towns, dungeons and quests all over the place. They should make a new procedural TES using current tech. Oblivion pretty much maxed out their current gameplay model. It's time for something new.

I was REALLY pissed about the scale of Oblivion. So pissed.

Here we have Tamriel. Circa Daggerfall.

Map_of_Tamriel.gif

Now, do you see that bit of water between High Rock and Hammerfell? That's the Illiac Bay. That's where Daggerfall takes place, with it's landmass being twice the size of Great Britain.

Now, do you see the Imperial Province? Oblivion seems to think that there are only 7(?) cities there. And that you can travel between them in maybe a day.

What. The. Fuck.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

It would be too complicated for today's users. :P

urahonky on
  • Options
    AdimaxAdimax Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The Witcher has been mentioned many times here already, but if/when/before May and the 2.0 patch comes, there is a demo available. Snag it, install it, crank everything way way down and see if your PC can handle it.

Its so good IMO that it can take that big a hit in the graphics dept.

The only other single player RPG that hasn't been mentioned that I can think of is Hellgate: London (and it also falls under the 'how hard can it be to make a Diablo (2) clone?' category). Not sure if they have a demo.

I spent 6 months TRYING to enjoy this game. I tried very, very hard. I ran through almost every class/skill combo.

I failed. You might not?

Adimax on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Adimax wrote: »
    The Witcher has been mentioned many times here already, but if/when/before May and the 2.0 patch comes, there is a demo available. Snag it, install it, crank everything way way down and see if your PC can handle it.

The only other single player RPG that hasn't been mentioned that I can think of is Hellgate: London (and it also falls under the 'how hard can it be to make a Diablo (2) clone?' category). Not sure if they have a demo.

I spent 6 months TRYING to enjoy this game. I tried very, very hard. I ran through almost every class/skill combo.

I failed. You might not?

It is fine. Better than Diablo 2, at least in my eyes. I've brought up why in other threads. I don't see what is so disappointing about the game. Maybe it's just not for you...?

MechMantis on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Or maybe its only for you, as Hellgate:London sucks.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Adimax wrote: »

I failed. You might not?

All this Witcher talk makes me want to sell my kidneys to upgrade my PC.

I'LL DO IT I SWEAR

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Serule wrote: »

I've eyed TQ for a while now, but never have picked it up. I'm sure I'll get it eventually. Does it try hard to be a clone or does it actually attempt to break the mold a bit?

The big innovation in Titan Quest is the skill system. The skill system is similar to Diablo except instead of having 7 classes, it has 8 (9 w/the expansion class) masteries of which you can pick 2. The masteries are Earth, Storm, Nature, Spirit, Warfare, Defense, Hunting, Rogue, and Dream (the expansion mastery). Each mastery has 20 skills so by mixing different masteries together and focusing on different skills you can create dozens of very different character builds.

Other than the very well done skill system, it's a solid Diablo clone with a fun classic mythology bent. I liked how it got rid of some of the annoyances in Diablo: items don't need to be identified and penalties for dying are minor (just a tiny bit of experience and if you manage to touch the grave marker that marks where you died, even that is cancelled).

Titan Quest Gold (the regular game + the expansion pack) is only $20 on Steam and probably about the same in any retail store that still has it. Well worth the price if you want a good hack & slash RPG.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The main thing I like about Titan Quest is the graphic engine. Medium quality 3d + zoomed out = awesome.

Why the fuck don't we get more RPGs like that? I'm sick of over the shoulder perspective that rapes my framerate while looking worse.

The game itself is ok, but mainly makes you want to play Diablo.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I heard somewhere that you can pay in-game characters to 'release' your spent skill points if you want to invest them in something else. Is that true? And if so, is it really costly, or can you basically chop-and-change whenever you feel your current build isn't working for you?

subedii on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    You can release points spent, yes, but there's a restriction to what degree. So you'll still have base points in that tree, and can't get rid of those. All the further points, you can release. It costs a fair amount, but not too much.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You're stuck with whatever 2 masteries you picked and any points put into the masteries themselves (used to unlock new skills & to increase your stats), but all skill points that have been put in actual skills can be taken out and reused for a reasonable price. You're not going to want to rearrange skill points all the time, but if you make a mistake and get a skill that you end up not using, it's easy enough to cancel it and reclaim those skill points.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So is the game actually fun singleplayer?

I enjoyed Diablo 1 singleplayer, but Diablo II just felt monotonous unless you were grouping up with people.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    And the stack of CRPGs on my desk continues to grow...

This is beginning to get out of hand. It's a good thing there are no 360 games I care about until GTAIV.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    MechMantis wrote: »

I was REALLY pissed about the scale of Oblivion. So pissed.

Here we have Tamriel. Circa Daggerfall.

Map_of_Tamriel.gif

Now, do you see that bit of water between High Rock and Hammerfell? That's the Illiac Bay. That's where Daggerfall takes place, with it's landmass being twice the size of Great Britain.

Now, do you see the Imperial Province? Oblivion seems to think that there are only 7(?) cities there. And that you can travel between them in maybe a day.

What. The. Fuck.

Yeah. Oblivion is actually smaller than Morrowind, which is just one province of Daggerfall. I'd understood that Oblivion took place in the imperial province of Daggerfall, not somewhere else in Tamriel, but that was still huge and even the smallest provinces in Daggerfall had dozens of cities.

As I said, count my vote for another randomly generated TES game.

Also, slightly off topic relating what MundaneSoul said: Yeah, what the heck is up with the 360's library, I'm itching for something new to play and there's nothing coming up in MONTHS, damnit.

NoelVeiga on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Guess I'm luckier (and poorer) than the two of you. I just got a 360 a few days ago, so there's a small backlog of available games I'm interested in. The new Star Wars Force Unleashed game looks like it's coming out in April, and from what I've seen, Viking coming out next month has quite a lot of hack and slash.

Star Wars I'll get. Viking, I'll wait till a friend of mine has given it a shot. She's scary, though. Loves blood and gore in games.

Doronron on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hey Doronron =D Glad to hear you got a 360.

I too will probably get Unleashed, but I guess that's more of an action game than an RPG.

Does Viking have loot?

And in the same vein, Too Human is a lock for me.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Hey Dev! Haven't heard heard from you in a while. Hope you're good.

There are some gameplay videos over on Gametrailers for Viking. It's got quests, and the main character does pick up stuff, but it looked like mostly health and mana. I haven't gone through all the videos, yet. There might be some showing him grab gear, too.

It's made by Creative Assembly -- the guys who do the Total War games -- so perhaps there's something good there.

I've seen a bit of Too Human. Kinda reminds me a bit of Darkness. Need to learn more about the backstory, though.

EDIT: And the 360 is a pretty nice machine. Quite a bit more than just a video game box. I might find myself renting movies from Live almost as much as I'll be playing games on it.

Doronron on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Too Human's based around Norse mythology. It's the whole "what if the legends were true, but they were in the future" kind of deal. It's very Diablo-ish in terms of the RPG context, loot, skills, saviour of the world, etc. but with a Devil May Cry/Ninja Gaiden attempt at updating the combat.

I actually use my 360 90% of the time not for playing games but for watching movie files streaming from my PC, it's fantastic for that.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Huh. Guess I'll have to add that one to my list. Sounds fun. Thanks.

I'm only a few days into the one month gold trial, so I'll probably check out the Live Media section on Friday and see what films are available. Probably pick up Next.

I've got to rearrange my living room. I have a Cat 5 cable running across the floor from my router at my desk to the 360.

Doronron on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Since I started to play Sacred:Gold again I decided to ressurect this thread since I don't think this question warrants an entire thread dedicated to it. I asked in another thread about good Battlemage builds and I was told that Iceshard mages was pretty overpowered. Does anyone else have a good build for a Sacred character, no matter what class. I'm still trying to decide what class I'm going to play to go through the entire OC+ Underworld campaign.

A second question: Is the Riding skill really worth the skill slot or is it only good for certain characters?

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Mounts are really only good for getting you from point A to point B in large regions and areas you're done with but still drawing aggro from the respawned monsters. Outside of that, it's a waste. Use any of the nags you'll find and you're good. You can also be a horse thief and just steal one instead of buying it from the stables.

Gladiator: Dual wield axes is the standard killer. Prior to a patch, dual wielding Gladiator gauntlets was also exceptionally powerful.

Battlemage: Fireball and Lightning are my favorites, wielding sword and shield for melee and defense.

Seraphim: Hard to get a good thing going here. Most of her magic skills are rather weak, so I tend to run dual swords on her.

Vampiress: Your guess is as good as mine. I never bothered to play this class outside of just seeing how the game opens with one.

Wood Elf: Two choices, longbows or daggers. She's actually very strong with a dagger.

Dark Elf: Hate, hate, hate the way this class is portrayed. The sad thing is, it's also quite powerful. Dual wield assassin blades, heavy on the poison skill, and a few traps if you feel like it. You'll kill dozens of monsters simultaneously with just a swing.

Dwarf: Dwarves are good with rifles, fun with two handed axes or hammers, and absolute murder with brass knuckles.

Demoness: Also not a class I put much time in.

Doronron on
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Vagrant Story

Did it only come out on ps1? I liked that game and its unique combat system.
    It appears OP's looking for PC games, but wasn't specific. If PS1 is at all an option, a thousand times Vagrant Story. Fascinating solo dungeon crawler with deep gameplay, an intriguing story, ridiculous artistic quality, and one of the greatest localizations to this day.

Bonus: only JRPG ever where all the major characters are adults older than their teens, egads perhaps even mostly 30+. Subject matter and story are equally mature, in the sense that children couldn't appreciate it, not "hurr hurr, T&A and BLOOD!". Double bonus: Out of all the "cinematic" Square RPGs, this is the only one to apply (expertly-done) cinematography and be wholly consistant in that approach. The only rendered movies are the first of three eyecatch introductions (other two are in-engine and feature the backstory), and the ending.

Excellent content level: 40-60 hours 1st time through, with new game plus and extra content sprinkled throughout.

The game is definitely no pushover, but you can master it with some thought and exercise, becoming incredibly badass.

The whole game is this good, start to finish.

All intro & opening sequences, spoilered for tall: Edit: Just realized the vids sport zig-zaggy de-interlacing video artifacts from a budget TV-tuner card. Still look good overall, just wanted to be explicit that the game doesn't have that issue at all.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'd like to step in here and say, briefly, that I've been playing Lost Odyssey quite a bit.

God DAMN.

From the opening on in the game is intense, sad, and fun to play. I like it when turn-based combat keeps you involved (games like Gladius, the Mario RPGs, etc.) and the target ring system seems to be making a big difference here.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I have Vagrant Story on my modded PS1 (thanks for shitting all over the PAL region, Square) and I enjoyed it but I don't think I got very far into it. I know though that if Square-Enix were to re-release that title on the PSP, I'd have to buy bot that game and a brand new PSP.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Space Rangers 2 was a very good game in the Starflight/Star Control 2/Escape Velocity style. Kind of quirky and all over the place, I think it was developed in Russia. It had the worst real-time strategy game ever made bolted on as an in-game series of optional quests, which you could thankfully choose to ignore.

minigunwielder on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Yeah. Oblivion is actually smaller than Morrowind, which is just one province of Daggerfall. I'd understood that Oblivion took place in the imperial province of Daggerfall, not somewhere else in Tamriel, but that was still huge and even the smallest provinces in Daggerfall had dozens of cities.

Also, slightly off topic relating what MundaneSoul said: Yeah, what the heck is up with the 360's library, I'm itching for something new to play and there's nothing coming up in MONTHS, damnit.

Wait

Wait what.

What are you saying?

That the Imperial Province in Oblivion is part of the fief of Daggerfall?

No. That is stupid. You are stupid.

And that Morrowind was another province of Daggerfall? They're on different sides of the continent of Tamriel!

EDIT: Oh. Hm. That was in February. Why did I not see this dumbassery before?

MechMantis on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Heh, blame it on me for ressurrecting my old thread :P

Silpheed on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    MechMantis wrote: »

Wait

Wait what.

What are you saying?

That the Imperial Province in Oblivion is part of the fief of Daggerfall?

No. That is stupid. You are stupid.

And that Morrowind was another province of Daggerfall? They're on different sides of the continent of Tamriel!

EDIT: Oh. Hm. That was in February. Why did I not see this dumbassery before?

The point is that each game after Daggerfall has a sigificantly smaller landmass and fewer destinations. This is absolutely true.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The Witcher is an awesome single player RPG.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Indeed it is but I'm waiting for the enhanced version that's due some time this year.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Silpheed wrote: »
    Indeed it is but I'm waiting for the enhanced version that's due some time this year.

So will I have to buy it over again or will there be a patch?

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Final Fantasy 7: Crisis Core on the PSP is a pretty cool guy.

Check out SSI's The Genie's Curse for DOS, if you haven't played it. Solid action rpg. Should run in xp, but you might want to dosbox it if you get sound lag.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg