As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Ace Combat Thread (NSF56k)

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Oh they threaten to use the gun to knock out all military satellites. Or they think that dinosaurs had their turn and mankind had its turn and attempting to stop a world-ender goes against the natural cycle of life and death

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    The only way to stop them is to destroy the entire Russian Armed Forces with your badass Falken.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    An anti-space debris slug (bullet) launcher is commissioned after impact but is commandeered by a group with bad intentions.

Now THAT sounds familiar...

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Also they don't believe in nations.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    I just want to say that Assault Horizon is a shit ton of fun.
    I think its my second favorite flying game after Crimson Skies: The High Road to Revenge.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    You know

I'd be 100% cool with an HD remake of AC4 with AH's graphics and dogfight mechanics.

But that's me

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I love how my post about the Idolm@ster jets killed the thread. Not sure what to make of Infinity yet.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I bought a few of those damn skins for Fires of Liberation.

But I also wanted the damn game (I like management sim games).

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Crazy that game never came out on PS3.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    You know

I'd be 100% cool with an HD remake of AC4 with AH's graphics and dogfight mechanics.

But that's me

AC4 with DFM.....hmmmmm...

I won't lie though, I'd completely sign up for an HD remake of AC5 going to AC6 levels or more (dem stunning ground textures) and include AC6's Macross missile massacre mechanic.
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Yeah. Not very smart Infinity is PS3 only either.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    One thing to note about the AC Infinity trailer - the structure in the blueprint around the 27 second mark?
    STONEHENGE.

PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    So its a AC4 semi-prequel/semi-remake?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    I guess they're trying to merge earth and strangereal by injecting ulysses/stonehenge into the normal timeline?

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Yeah. Not very smart Infinity is PS3 only either.

Was kinda jazzed up until the end of that trailer. Guess I'm not getting this one. :P

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    le sigh

The real world again? Ugh.

Another Ace Combat game that is not for me. :(

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    I guess they're trying to merge earth and strangereal by injecting ulysses/stonehenge into the normal timeline?

I really just don't get what N/B's chub is for real world settings with AC now. Real world is kinda boring, and you have to step on toes to make enemies anywhere in the world. In StrangeReal you didn't have that problem, it wasn't based on actual borderlines or nations, just the planes. I'd think pushing the setting to the real world limits their options on story, and it's rather clear the experiment to try and boost their fanbase didn't really work.

Keep the mechanics and DFM, remove any and all missions where I'm NOT flying a combat jet, and start getting whacky with the missions again... and dare I say I could easily overlook the real world setting.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Assault Horizon was pretty bananas anyway, even in the real world. The last third of the game in particular.

And it does have some of my favorite music in the series actually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLqhF2wswYk

I get that Strangereal had the charm of not being totally based on the real world, but the plots for the various wars were all based on real ones.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I kind of don't care about strangereal vs real because AC4 is my favorite

stonehenge was an interesting plot hook and they built a lot of cool missions around it

not to mention megalith, even if they lifted it from 2 (afaik)

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I don't really give a hoot where they set it, because playing an Ace Combat game for the plot seems like a waste of time.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    A duck! wrote: »
    I don't really give a hoot where they set it, because playing an Ace Combat game for the plot seems like a waste of time.
    It's like you read my mind.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Assault Horizon was pretty bananas anyway, even in the real world. The last third of the game in particular.

And it does have some of my favorite music in the series actually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLqhF2wswYk

I get that Strangereal had the charm of not being totally based on the real world, but the plots for the various wars were all based on real ones.

I take solace in knowing that I'll still get a soundtrack that I'll probably like from the game.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    I really didn't like assault horizon. Every aspect of it felt like it was reaching as hard as it good to be as modern and edgy as possible in order to reach an FPS audience. Everything from the real world setting, to the "bloody" airplanes, to the metal-rock-dubstep soundtrack. I just couldn't get into it. We'll see how this new one turns out.

• Options
    Eh, I have the same opinion of it I did before. It was suitably "acey" enough for me. You got to do stuff like overwhelm a battleship with missile barrages, shoot out your wingman's cockpit while he flies inverted, duel inside a hurricane, and fight an epic dumb dog fight above the White House for AMERICA.

Also recently replaying it earlier this year, nearly all of the target leads you can shoot down without DRM, at least on normal.

• Options
    I like having the made up world where you can have crazy things like F-22s facing off against F-35s and Russian bombers backed up by French warplanes.

While I do love my country I am getting weary of "USA! USA! USA!". Well that and fighting Russians, always Russians.

• Options
    It's not AC's fault America doesn't have many military rivals.

You know how many aircraft carriers the U.S. has? Ten, with three more under construction. Know how many the rest of the world (including our allies) have combined? Ten.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I like having the made up world where you can have crazy things like F-22s facing off against F-35s and Russian bombers backed up by French warplanes.
    Yus. I don't think anyone really cares about Strangereal for the plot. Instead it's because it's a giant 5 year old's sandbox full of models and you fly around going dakkadakkadakka kaboom zoooom eject oh noes! They can put in whatever wacky ass superweapon or made up plane they want and whatever, it's Strangereal!
    One thing to note about the AC Infinity trailer - the structure in the blueprint around the 27 second mark?
    STONEHENGE.

Oh shiiiiiiiiit. That actually lends some validity to my theory from earlier. o_o

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options

You know how many aircraft carriers the U.S. has? Ten, with three more under construction. Know how many the rest of the world (including our allies) have combined? Ten.

Which is all the more reason to set AC in Strangereal.

Plus the world needs more giant manta-ray shaped air-carriers that fire a hundred ICBMs.

• Options
    They show the globe at the end and it has ALOT of impact zones on it. Come on, Mad Max Ace Combat!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Axen wrote: »

Which is all the more reason to set AC in Strangereal.

Plus the world needs more giant manta-ray shaped air-carriers that fire a hundred ICBMs.

Well, that goes without saying.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    They show the globe at the end and it has ALOT of impact zones on it. Come on, Mad Max Ace Combat!
    Ace Combat: Biplane Edition?

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Just walk away from the Jet A with Prist

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Ace Combat: Biplane Edition?

The_Sky_Crawlers_Innocent_Aces_Cover_zps96ce76e1.jpg

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    It was made by Project Aces, too.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0flvbYeBtk

Little known fact, you can make any trailer great by including, "Zero".

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
  • Options
    I get chills when I think about the interview with Espada Two

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    ShatterShockShatterShock Registered User regular
    I really liked Assault Horizon and am saddened that it didn't get a better reception than it received. Yeah, it was Call of Duty: Aerial Warfare but that wasn't a mark against the game for me. I liked the dogfight mode, the 'steel carnage' you saw when you downed a plane was so visually satisfying and the helicopter and turret missions kept the game from getting too repetitive.

One of my friends is more of a purist than me; he played 4, 5 and 6 while I only played 4. He quit after the first helicopter mission and while I get where he's coming from, I don't share his view.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Can you improve on something that was already pretty darn good?

http://youtu.be/2xeU4L8_oBo
    Yes, it's AC5

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Of course, Ace Combat is basically Macross with real planes rather than transforming ones.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Macross Zero has actual aircraft.

It's Macross with more floating fortresses.

Synthesis on