As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Ace Combat Thread (NSF56k)

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    O herro.

I finished Ace Combat X about a week ago.

Some comments: Worst voice acting I've heard in an AC game, though I haven't played 6. It's also very short. My flight time was just about 2 hours, but that doesn't count the time you spend in briefings, buying planes, etc.

40 planes, ~5 of which are very futuristic. You can buy parts and tune said futuristic planes. I purposely avoided the realistic planes with better stats because I enjoyed tuning my planes so much. You can even buy a part that automatically fires the machine gun when the MG reticle appears. Awesome.

You have some freedom as you go through the missions. You're given a starting point and ending or goal mission, with 3-5 missions in between. You can take these missions on in almost any order you wish, and completing or ignoring these missions will affect the remaining missions, including the ending mission. For example: There's an enemy missile base near the coast, and the base's range covers a dusty battlefield where a conflict is in progress. There's also a hidden airbase nearby that supports the coastal missile installation. Do you assist your allies on the battlefield immediately and risk being bombarded by the missile base, or do you take out the missile base first and hope that your guys don't get decimated? Or you could attack the hidden airbase and ensure that an attack on the missile base will proceed smoothly. You'll be able to do all three missions, but the setup will be different depending on your choices. This setup occurs twice, with a third smaller setup appearing at the end.

The story is weak, but oh well. The mission structure and plane customization was such a breath of fresh air that I didn't really care. It also has some great music, as all Ace Combat games tend to have. Looks pretty dang good too. Textures lack detail, but it's hard to care when you're in the middle of battle. Controls aren't bad either, and you're able to assign each button on the PSP as you wish. I made full use of that feature.

Oh and there's something like 4 superweapons and no trench run. So it's at least unique in those regards.

Renzo on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    AC:X is really short yeah but every time you take a new path on the missions the next set play out differently.

It's a lot like Star Fox 64 but Ace Combat.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Only played the PSP version and a small amount of the 360 one since a friend had it. The PSP version takes a bit of getting use to the controls, but after you get them down I didn't even notice them later. I liked to fly just the real planes, no futuristic tuning things, mostly since you don't get much tuning equipment until you've played through it quite a bit.

The campaigns interactive missions are great, leading to missions always being a little different then the last time.

The last mission though is giving me fits the second run through since I'm doing the harder version on hard difficulty, so after like 20+ tries I had to put the game away for a bit else risk breaking something. The multiplayer would be fun if I knew anyone that wanted to play me...

Velmeran on
    Vechloran.png
  • PbPb Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    My only complaint about Ace Combat: X is that the nub is a little twitchy on the high-maneuverability planes. I'd be doing a slow turn at low altitude and then all the sudden I'd quickly arc into the ground when the nub slipped a bit. Still, solid game.

Pb on
  • ObstSkwerlObstSkwerl Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So is anyone still playing AC6 online? There is DLC? ANYONE!!!!

I'm still dancing here (gamertag: pvtskwerl)

ObstSkwerl on
  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ace combat is gay

NickTheNewbie on
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ace combat is gay

no u

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
    edited March 2008
    chasm wrote: »
    Ace combat is gay

no u

ya me

NickTheNewbie on
  • Muramasa18Muramasa18 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    ur face

Muramasa18 on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Mans, Stop hating 5 and Zero
    They're awseom

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    edited March 2008
    4 is still the best in the series, IMO.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
  • PredatorPredator __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Ace Combat is one of my favourite series but goddamn 6 just takes the Ace Combat Gayness(tm) too far
    I thought it couldnt get any worse than Chopper.

Predator on
    1330my4.jpg
    edited March 2008
    Go dance with the angels, mister.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Bought AC6 today.

I have to play it with huge sunglasses and a leather jacket on at all times. Also, I put a sign on my falt door saying 'warning, entering danger zone'

So fucking cool. Is there anything on earth cooler than fucking jet planes?

The_Scarab on
  • PbPb Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Bought AC6 today.

I have to play it with huge sunglasses and a leather jacket on at all times. Also, I put a sign on my falt door saying 'warning, entering danger zone'

Fucking two jet planes at the same time?

Pb on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Pb wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Bought AC6 today.

Fucking two jet planes at the same time?

WHAT

16j4y0w.gif

The_Scarab on
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I find myself playing Moloch Desert on AC6 whenever I go back to the game. Something about cutting out the bullshit and going head to head with those fuckers is great. Also
    Fuck Ghost Eye. Disengage? They showed up all around me how the hell am I supposed to get away!?

Maybe its my game, but at the end of the trench run mission (13 I believe? No, 12. Its one of those two.) When Snake Eyes says something about not taking debts up in the sky, he laughs but...well, it sounds like they're raping a cat to death. Its a little scary.

Docshifty on
    edited March 2008
    Haha yeah that always creeped me out a little. "Garuda 1 never takes out debts out here! HURRHUAAAHUURRRHHAAAAA"

Muramasa18 on
    edited March 2008
    And it ends with a sort of "ha-HA!". I think he has real problems.
    I can't believe I haven't tried it till now, but yes, Kenny Loggins makes this came so much funner to play.
    When do you get the SP colors for the Nosferatu? Everywhere I've seen have said once you get the Legendary Ace medal, but I just got it (Fuck you mission 15) and it ain't showin' up.
    Also again, online, I'm always up for it.

Docshifty on
    edited March 2008
    I'm not sure how to get the colors, I think you have to attain a certain number of medals but I can't remember how many/which ones.

Muramasa18 on
    edited March 2008
    Despite how bad all the characters were in 6, for whatever reason I like Windhover.

Playing the Aigaion mission in Co-op was fun as hell.

Docshifty on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    New stuff up on live. Another Razgriz pack (A-10 and a couple others) and a bunch of F-22a paint schemes.

Oh, and AoA Mission 2 as well, but damned if I'm going to fly through that one. AoA 1 was bad enough.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited March 2008
    Guys. The Cherry Blossom F14? Fucking awesome.

Docshifty on
    edited November 2008
    Hey, look, I hate to bump a 7 month old thread, but I ned to show you guys something.

So about a year ago I had this crazy idea that maybe I'd get a mobius tattoo or something. Trouble is, as far as I knew, there wasn't a single official high resolution image of the mobius logo anywhere. I'dseen many fan created ones, but they were all subpar. The best one I could find was printed on the japanese strategy guide for ace combat 04. I asked a friend in japan to help me import it. I have two graphic designer friends, and I got them to scan the tiny mobius logo in the guide at a very high resolution, and then asked if they could create a vectorized version of it. This was over a year ago, and they never did it, and then surprised me yesterday with this:

img2462wd8.jpg

The level of detail is amazing, they even got all the edges of the continents.

img2461qo4.jpg
    So now we have an awesome shirt, and a vectorized version that can be scaled to any size I want, and look good no matter what. I wonder what kind of stuff I should make next!

NickTheNewbie on
    edited November 2008
    You know, I love this game, I love the extra content, but I really wish more of them were available in packs instead of single pay-for-play downloads. And don't even get me started on paying for an ass-raping new difficulty level A SINGLE LEVEL AT A TIME.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    That's pretty damn awesome.

Imagine the possibilities! Mobius stationary. Mobius coffee mugs. Mobius boxers...

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • frank as fuckfrank as fuck __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    I would kill for a version of that with the Razgriz logo.

frank as fuck on
  • DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    PunkBoy wrote: »
    Mobius boxers...

"Demon Lord of my pants."

"Dance with the angels. In my pants."

But seriously, awesome shirt. I'd personally go for a leather jacket with the Mobius patch on the sleeve.

Dartboy on
    edited November 2008
    well if you used this as a reference, you would have no problem making a razgriz logo: http://www.acecombat.jp/ace5/wp19l.htm

The problem for me was that this was the largest mobius emblem on the entire internet:
    frontline_s_1.jpg

NickTheNewbie on
  • BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So now we have an awesome shirt, and a vectorized version that can be scaled to any size I want, and look good no matter what. I wonder what kind of stuff I should make next!

you need to upload this so we can have your babies

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Custom patches. Not necessarily an endorsement, since I'm sure they have competition and I'd shop around before doing something like this, but patchgeeks.com is one source.

Tiemler on
    edited December 2008
    Necropost, but does anyone know the cheapest place to get the ACE-EDGE from AC6 for the 360? All I can find are the $150 bundles and I'd like to get it for a good bit less than that, if possible.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I only see the bundles, but they look to fall around $100 on ebay. Not much of a deal, but I don't see many out on the internet.

PolloDiablo on
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My local Best Buy suddenly got huge amount of them in. Kinda weird for a game a year old now.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2008
    Not just Best Buy, I've seen them in large numbers everywhere.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Namco made another batch of them.

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • wenchkillawenchkilla Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I would seriously kill a man for that t-shirt up the thread. srsly.

Also, Razgriz ain't got shit on Mobius.

wenchkilla on
    gamingsig.jpg
    PSN/XBL: dragoniemx
  • TomaToma Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ace Combat 4 was my first entry into the series. I utterly adored the storytelling. I honestly thought it was the best at the time. All told from the perspective of a kid who lost his parents in the war...
    ... and ended up becoming friends with the rival squadron in the game. You were referenced by the story now and then, which gave it more weight than your character being in some cutscene. I thought it was a great way to tell the story when that rival squadron met their end because of you, and it maintained that perspective from that kid.

Ace Combat Zero had some of the best dogfights though, something I thought was kinda missing from 4 and 5. It really felt like you were up against something that could take you out if you were careless. And the final boss fight...
    Much much better than 4 and 5's. A 1 on 1 dogfight against your rival, spanish guitar in the background, nuclear missiles launching into the air, was so much more epic than shooting a couple weakpoints, and then it's over. Dodging lasers and large explosions, trying to hit that zipping bastard of a target, ending with a good old fashion joust at the end.

Kinda dissapointed me in 5 that, at the last mission, you could, with the right missile, lay waste to all your opponents in a couple shots, then have to just waste time until the final part of the mission starts.

Toma on
    tomapop.gif

PSN: Toma84
  • ZaylenzZaylenz Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ace Combat 5 is my favorite of the series, though to be fair it was also my introduction to the series. I just thought that overall the mission variety and pacing was the best of the four that I've played. I didn't hate any of the characters overall, though I did find them annoying. Nagase was the most annoying to me only because of her constant angst over having to shoot down enemies and kill. She's a freakin' military combat pilot, did she think she was going to be shooting rainbows at people when she signed up? She did at least have her own bad ass moment during the search & rescue mission. The final trench run in AC5 is definately the highlight of the series.

AC4 was probably 2nd on the list because I did like how the story was presented. I just didn't think the missions were quite as good as those in AC5.

AC0 I agree with those who said the Live Action Video segments were kinda stupid. I did like the post-war perspective they were trying to go for there. The missions were also less varied to me it seemed.

AC6 looked amazing with the new graphics and volumetric clouds and smoke trails all over the place from missiles. I do agree that there were just way too many ground attack missions for my liking. The story however was really bad in this one, with worse dialog. I kinda wish they'd remake AC4 & 5 with the AC6 engine and re-release it.

And I just have to say the series has some of the best music around and really adds to the atmosphere of the games. AC5 and Zero are pretty much tied as tops of the series in my opinion.

Zaylenz on
    edited December 2008
    Call me crazy but I got a kick out of the ACZ, live action segments. I probably wouldn't want them permanently, but I thought it was a cool change of pace. The thing I like most about ace combat games is when they mix it up and throw in new/different/random things like that. I didn't like the presentation of AC6 because the story was a rehash of AC04, and the acting was a rehash of AC5.

NickTheNewbie on