As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Ace Combat Thread (NSF56k)

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    With custom soundtrack support on Xbox, I fully intend to blast Puddle of Mud during any less-chattery parts of missions.

CAN YOU TAKE IT ALL THE WAAAA-AAYYYY!

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I liked how the mellow part of that song fit AC5, but the screaming, not so much.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    With custom soundtrack support on Xbox, I fully intend to blast Puddle of Mud during any less-chattery parts of missions.

I'd rather have the Latin-esque music from Zero.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    This video may be frustrating to watch for you Ace Pilots out there, but I loved watching that buttery smooth FPS in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnUi2KJUwmw&t=51s

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »

I'd rather have the Latin-esque music from Zero.

Spanish flamenco guitar and yes it is the best.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I'd rather they not over use that, it was special with Zero. If they keep using it, its not special.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I think it would be kinda cool if they decided on a cultural theme for each country, and then based their music direction for each game/sortie based on that.

• Options
    I'd rather they not over use that, it was special with Zero. If they keep using it, its not special.

You can only get away with Spanish flamenco once in a franchise like that. It was definitely one of the stronger points of AC0, but yeah, not really repeatable.

• Options
    Honestly, the mix of the main theme for mission 3 is one of my favorite tracks ever for the series. Along with the combat barks, it just builds perfectly.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    New gameplay trailer out at TGS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb1VoZ_U0iI

• Options
    Still looks good, though probably not the best way to present it.

• Options
    MY BOY!

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Am I like... the only person that really liked Assault Horizon's music? Not the best game, but the music was still on point.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Shall Defend, White Devil, Naval Warfare and Beyond the Canal are all on my 10 ten AC music tracks so...

My other 6: Megalith, Blue Skies (Infinity Remix), Unsung War, Zero, Liberation of Gracemeria, and Hrimfaxi.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Farbanti, Blockade, and Comona are some of my favorite tracks from AC4.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Quiotu wrote: »
    Am I like... the only person that really liked Assault Horizon's music? Not the best game, but the music was still on point.

That's universally considered the only good thing about it.

Oh my god, battleship landings. Yum.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Assault Horizon had a bunch of problems but the music wasn't one of them. It's more metal than the normal soundtracks but it still has some good tracks. I'd have 3 maybe 4 in my 10.

Top 10: Megalith (AC4), Unsung War (AC5), First Flight (AC5), Into the Dusk (AC5), AC6 Main Theme (AC6), Liberation of Gracemeria (AC6), Zero (ACZ), Dogfight (AH), White Devil (AH), and Keep Alive (AH).

Rebirth from Sand Storm (AH), Hrimfax (AC5), Fortress (AC5), Briefing #2 (AC5), Chandelier (AC6) would be in the next 5. While not really a full song, "New Emblem" from AC5 still pulls at the heart strings.

Listening to this music again makes me sad there is no announcement an AC4 through 6 (and Zero) remastered editions.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    I loved this song from AH 3DS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFuEcpPlNtI

Freely admit it's a guilty pleasure.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    If the AC:7 trailer is any indication, I'll have to make some room in that top 10 lol.

• Options
    I will attempt to compress time and space to accomplish that goal.

• Options
    Quiotu wrote: »

Terrible game. Okay visuals. Pretty good music.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    the 3ds one is cool tho

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    the 3ds one is cool tho

I tried really hard but could not get into it.

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »
    the 3ds one is cool tho

I tried really hard but could not get into it.

It has its charms. It's basically AC lite.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I'm rewatching the cutscenes for AC6 as part of a refresher for the Strangereal universe.

Oof.

Oof.

Emmeria are a bunch of jobbers and scrublords.

Turns out Assault Horizon, at least cutscene-wise, is better than 6. Who knew?

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Assault Horizon isn't perfect, but it is a perfectly serviceable spinoff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY9NO4GQJRk

• Options
    Eh, I didn't find AH's Russia being full of Edgelords and Mustachioed Wannabe Nihilists as being an improvement.

In fact, I'd say it was substantially worse. But to each their own.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    In AC7, I sure hope the SKYCRIME your character committed to become a member of the penal squadron in SKYPRISON is sufficiently badass.

ygPIJ.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    In AC7, I sure hope the SKYCRIME your character committed to become a member of the penal squadron in SKYPRISON is sufficiently badass.

Without spoiling anything, in the scope of Ace Combat super-crimes....it's pretty high up there as far as crimes could go. Maybe not "full Belkan," but you never go full Belkan.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    I'd settle for like a .7 Belkan on the SKYCRIME scale.

So long as angels remain without dances.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    SKYCRIME feels like a late-80s/early 90s sci-fi action flick starring Jean Claude Van Damme or Sylvester Stallone.

Which, honestly, is exactly what any Ace Combat should be.

• Options
    Has anyone ever seen Black Sheep Squadron? It kind of gives me an AC-ish vibe, it's a really old show my father watches.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    I accidentally heard what the Skycrime was, and it's pretty awesome. In terms of minimal spoilers, the lines are, "sin lines" and determine the severity of the sentence. Trigger is so far the only pilot with three.

The VR campaign I'm really excited and hope it eventually gets ported to PC. They said it's exclusive, but I can hope. Here's a better version of the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDa2jkaCPGE

In terms of new trailer stuff, they kept the classic, "runway under attack" sequence from Ace Combat Zero, and Assault Horizon, including what looks like a brand new ZSU-23-4 "Shilka" AA gun trashing a Eursean Mig-29. You can also see that standard AA fire can shoot down player missiles now, which is a pretty big change!

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    Considering some of the inherent limitations of PSVR (which are basically the same as all VR headsets--just way more -pronounced, especially if you're not using a Playstation 4 Pro), yeah, this could be a technical masterpiece on SteamVR through the Vive or an even better headset, visual fidelity wise.

For me personally, though, this ties back into the question of "Will a HOTAS be a viable way to play this on PC?"--or will it be more trouble than it's worth next to an Xbox gamepad plugged into your gaming desktop? AC7 just looking better on PC isn't quite enough to grab me so far, but combine it with a pretty comprehensive HOTAS control set, and let me play the game with my Samsung Odyssey...well, Namco, sir, you've got yourself another sale.

On the other hand, RE7 VR is still a PSVR exclusive too, as far as I know. Could end up being a deal like that, especially considering how much PC VR is struggling.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    AH 3DS + has support for the New 3DS extra controls, and hey SAMUS ARAN PLANE.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I hated the 3ds controls, even with the N3ds stuff. It just made me want a proper controller and proper AC controls.

• Options
    mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    If the VR version becomes available on PC, then I will finally be buying a VR headset.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Options
    How many PSVR exclusives have come to PC? Given that none of the Ace Combat games (other than AH) have come to PC in non-VR configs, I doubt this will.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    If it does then neat, if not no big.

5 missions isn’t something I’m gonna lose sleep over.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    How many PSVR exclusives have come to PC? Given that none of the Ace Combat games (other than AH) have come to PC in non-VR configs, I doubt this will.

Off the top of my head:
    - Psychonauts: Rhombus of Ruin
    - Batman: Arkham VR
    - Moss
    - Thumper
    - GNOG
    - Rez Infinite
    - Skyrim VR
    - Superhypercube
    - Stifled
    - Battlezone
    - Robinson