As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Ace Combat Thread (NSF56k)

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Yeah everytime I've played it I pretty much have to tweak down the difficulty at least one notch because of how much of a pain it is. Especially that last mission good freaking lord.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Yeesh, cleared all three. What a rush. That was like the Arsenal Bird + Stonehenge on speed.

If I were Trigger, I'd be like "where's my damn air cover!?".

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Yeah everytime I've played it I pretty much have to tweak down the difficulty at least one notch because of how much of a pain it is. Especially that last mission good freaking lord.

I found all three missions to be a lot easier than the final mission in the original campaign; but I do struggle with the whole "tunnel flying" probably for lack of patience of getting distracted.

Personally, I'll take pretty much anything over the god-awful "jousting" mechanic at the end of Ace Combat 0.

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

I found all three missions to be a lot easier than the final mission in the original campaign; but I do struggle with the whole "tunnel flying" probably for lack of patience of getting distracted.

Personally, I'll take pretty much anything over the god-awful "jousting" mechanic at the end of Ace Combat 0.

For real. I guess what made the final mission so frustrating is just how beefy the Alicorn's weapons are in terms of soaking damage. It's one thing constantly having to dodge the railgun shots and deal with all the UAVs/Planes, but the fact they can soak so much damage makes the fight an absolute slog. I ended up doing the mission with the ADFX-01 just so I could take the massive Fuel Air bombs as those seemed to be the only weapons that could quickly burn down the multiple hardpoints on the sub.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2022

For real. I guess what made the final mission so frustrating is just how beefy the Alicorn's weapons are in terms of soaking damage. It's one thing constantly having to dodge the railgun shots and deal with all the UAVs/Planes, but the fact they can soak so much damage makes the fight an absolute slog. I ended up doing the mission with the ADFX-01 just so I could take the massive Fuel Air bombs as those seemed to be the only weapons that could quickly burn down the multiple hardpoints on the sub.

The XFA-27 w/ the MSTM is frankly broken for doing stuff like that. MSTM is broken in general. I used that plane my entire run when I was going for the "complete campaign in under 4 hours" medal on ACE mode.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

Putting aside whatever plot bullshit justifications Namco and Project Aces were grasping at (the self-undermining cause of writing a world with this massive infrastructural superweapon sites that all just end up jammed onto a little airplane anyway), given just how absurdly twitchy and turn-y the rest of the ace pilot duels were up to that point, the fight with Solo Wing Pixie isn't a refreshing change of pace; it just sucks and I don't think it's a coincidence that they haven't tried it again. AC0's still a great game, provided you don't dislike Spanish guitars (I don't dislike them myself), but it's a crappy concluding boss battle; even the tedium of the two ADF-11 fight is still preferable if only because you have more than one way to do it.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I like the Pixy fight, but it does demand a lot of precision which isnt needed for a most of the other bosses.

But the trick I found is when you go head on, hold the missile shots until you get very, very close reduces the AI auto dodge. Also accelerating into it.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    So the AC0 vinyl cover got updated, and it's perfect:

gamtfa2rrhsy.png
    4x8z4sw5zic3.png

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular

Something may be stirring. Gimme that Ace Combat 8. Gimme those AC remasters. Gimme back my streaming soundtracks. Gimme gimme gimme I swear I've been good this year.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I would 100% buy a JPEG Dog plush.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    Hey Ace Combat veterans, I just got Ace Combat 7 on sale and I'm wondering whether the "spirit" of playing the game is using the planes that seem to be kinda given to you, or just whatever the best one you have is. E.g. in these missions where I'm plotwise supposed to be a prisoner flying a junky old plane, is sticking with the F104 or Fishbed the way to go or am I just making life hard for myself? I've failed a couple times (normal difficulty) and I don't mind, because I'm still learning the game and I'm assuming the fancy Top Gun planes that came with the game pack would trivialize it, but otoh if I'm just making life hard for myself I'll use something in between.

• Options
    Red Raevyn wrote: »
    Hey Ace Combat veterans, I just got Ace Combat 7 on sale and I'm wondering whether the "spirit" of playing the game is using the planes that seem to be kinda given to you, or just whatever the best one you have is. E.g. in these missions where I'm plotwise supposed to be a prisoner flying a junky old plane, is sticking with the F104 or Fishbed the way to go or am I just making life hard for myself? I've failed a couple times (normal difficulty) and I don't mind, because I'm still learning the game and I'm assuming the fancy Top Gun planes that came with the game pack would trivialize it, but otoh if I'm just making life hard for myself I'll use something in between.

You basically need three good planes to wreck any AC game: a solid air superiority(I'm partial to the Typhoon or Rafale), a solid ground superiority(A10C), and occasionally one that's good at both(SU-30).

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options

Unless you're counting DLC planes, which are kinda broken in comparison generally, use the best you have available. You should be getting credits or whatever they're called every mission to use on the aircraft tree to unlock new planes which should be better. That said, if you have DLC planes and wanna use em instead, go for it, they're cool. I think if you look at the Top Gun ones specifically, there are some that have sort of end-game / multiplayer stats on them and there are some that are sort of campaign balanced, so if you're worried about being OP, you can always just stick with the campaign balanced ones.

Also depends on how much you see yourself playing the game. If you just plan on doing one playthrough, just use whatever plane looks coolest to you or has the weapons you want to play with most. No reason to stop yourself from using the planes you want if you're just doing one run.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2022

I'd say "fly what you wanna fly". Like the feel of the FA-18 or Gripen or whatever plane you've got unlocked by those levels? Go for it.

One question: did you also buy the SP Mission DLC? Because it's real goddamn good. Like "I hope I'm looking at the blueprint for Ace Combat 8" good.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
  • Options

I'd say "fly what you wanna fly". Like the feel of the FA-18 or Gripen or whatever plane you've got unlocked but those levels? Go for it.

One question: did you also buy the SP Mission DLC? Because it's real goddamn good. Like "I hope I'm looking at the blueprint for Ace Combat 8" good.

Salvation!

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options

I'd say "fly what you wanna fly". Like the feel of the FA-18 or Gripen or whatever plane you've got unlocked by those levels? Go for it.

I did that big ground combat mission from the DLC soooooo many times while grinding out the platinum trophy, lol. It's so fun <3 So many fun weapons to tackle it with. Though that one plane that lets you just add an extra 4 standard missiles (though they count as special missiles stats wise) was my go-to through like, 90% of my overall single player playtime. It's just overpowered as hell.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Cool, thanks everybody. I've only used the F-16 and F104, so getting the TGM planes out should be pretty fun (14D, 18E, "5th gen fighter", and Darkstar).

No, I didn't see it on sale and I've got enough backlog that I don't usually get DLC unless I really play the hell out of a game. But I'll check it out.

• Options
    edited November 2022
    Cool, thanks everybody. I've only used the F-16 and F104, so getting the TGM planes out should be pretty fun (14D, 18E, "5th gen fighter", and Darkstar).

No, I didn't see it on sale and I've got enough backlog that I don't usually get DLC unless I really play the hell out of a game. But I'll check it out.

They're very good if you find yourself wanting more Ace Combat 7. An air combat mission, a ground combat mission, and a naval combat mission. Has its own little story, too, complete with cutscenes.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options

They're very good if you find yourself wanting more Ace Combat 7. An air combat mission, a ground combat mission, and a naval combat mission. Has its own little story, too, complete with cutscenes.

Just a note about the DLC missions, even though they technically take place mid-way through the story, (I believe it starts after mission 8 or 9 I think?) I'd either recommend playing them after you beat the game at least once, or set the difficulty level at least one level lower than you play the normal campaign missions. The DLC missions will push you harder than the regular campaign missions imo, and you'll definitely want a fully-capable air and ground type craft for all three missions as you'll be expected to engage a variety of targets in very hectic missions. Still though, totally worth the experience and cost!

• Options

Just a note about the DLC missions, even though they technically take place mid-way through the story, (I believe it starts after mission 8 or 9 I think?) I'd either recommend playing them after you beat the game at least once, or set the difficulty level at least one level lower than you play the normal campaign missions. The DLC missions will push you harder than the regular campaign missions imo, and you'll definitely want a fully-capable air and ground type craft for all three missions as you'll be expected to engage a variety of targets in very hectic missions. Still though, totally worth the experience and cost!

Yep, definitely missions that expect you to have a good understanding of how to play and some endgame planes in your roster.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    I love that this thread still exists and that it's stilled mark as Not Safe for 56k modems.

Anyhoo, I just beat the ORIGINAL Ace Combat (Air Combat) not too long ago. Going to try for a complete series playthrough. The original game was remarkably well polished given its age.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    Idx86 wrote: »
    I love that this thread still exists and that it's stilled mark as Not Safe for 56k modems.

Anyhoo, I just beat the ORIGINAL Ace Combat (Air Combat) not too long ago. Going to try for a complete series playthrough. The original game was remarkably well polished given its age.

Nice! That's what I did the first time I got into Ace Combat, did a playthrough of all the games starting with Air Combat (though I missed 6 and the PSP one and the weird PS3 live service one). Did the full translated version of 3, too, though the intermission computer log stuff wasn't translated and I didn't really get a good feel for the story, unfortunately. The jump from 2/3 to 4 is staggering, though. Probably why I have such a fondness for 4.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Guys, YouTube sent me down an Ace Combat OST rabbithole, I bought AC7 and have finished it multiple times now.

What I'm saying is, they should definitely remake the earlier games so I can play them on PC and I will give all the monies.

• Options
    Guys, YouTube sent me down an Ace Combat OST rabbithole, I bought AC7 and have finished it multiple times now.

What I'm saying is, they should definitely remake the earlier games so I can play them on PC and I will give all the monies.

Absolutely.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_joxfh7Hgc

mmyep

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Ace Combat 7 has so many "this is the best song on the OST" selections that it's a bit comical. And the thing is, all those choices are correct!

For example, this absolute banger.
    https://youtu.be/Kuq3tsmBS88

How is this soundtrack not on a streaming service?!

ygPIJ.gif
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    You can't even buy it digitally (but you can for a lot of the older games, at least on iTunes); I don't know if it's a rights thing or what.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    As someone who only ever got to play Ace Combat 5 on the PS2, I would looooove an HD collection of the PS2 games

I’ve heard things about AC4 and AC0 for years

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Olivaw wrote: »
    As someone who only ever got to play Ace Combat 5 on the PS2, I would looooove an HD collection of the PS2 games

I’ve heard things about AC4 and AC0 for years

AC0 is incredible. Play it however you can, even if you have to hook up a PS2 at a pawn shop and borrow their TV for, oh, six hours.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I personally thought 0 was the weakest of the PS2 games, but I know people love it. I might've had expectations for it that were too high or whatever, but I think the playstyle choice thing they hype up mostly feels superfluous and the story wasn't as interesting as 4 or 5. The live action stuff was neat but also felt kind of fragmented. The soundtrack slapped, though. Also I hated the final boss fight.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    I personally thought 0 was the weakest of the PS2 games, but I know people love it. I might've had expectations for it that were too high or whatever, but I think the playstyle choice thing they hype up mostly feels superfluous and the story wasn't as interesting as 4 or 5. The live action stuff was neat but also felt kind of fragmented. The soundtrack slapped, though. Also I hated the final boss fight.

For me, what makes it the most special is the branching path system, and how much character everyone has. You meet most of the flight leaders you shot down in the 'interview' FMVs who talk about you as if you were some mythical being, which you basically are.

Also, the dogfights and the Squadrons, just utter top shelf presentation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iszKkIDn-Xo

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I'm deffo a sucker for all the squadrons and chatter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NAS16fFcSY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZrb3_W1Mm8

Damn if those videos don't get me hype every time, especially the ally / main squadron one.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    I thought I'd shared this video with this thread. I can't believe I haven't shared this video with this thread yet. This thread deserves this video.

WARNING: ACE COMBAT 7 STORY SPOILERS IN VIDEO
    https://youtu.be/TAeE3_xMrWk

The biggest problem for Ace Combat storytelling is that the CG cutscene team can never quite nail down what makes playing Ace Combat so special. In-game cinematics get it, oh boy do they, but once the CG starts up it just loses that special something. Maybe for the next game they can finally bridge that divide. Maybe pony up some cash to get U'den Flameworks onboard.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
  • Options
    Flying whatever I want was some good advice. The F-14 is fun, I like watching the sweep wings move, and the F-18's been my go-to. The LAGM was a really fun improvement over the F-104's ground rockets. Last night I got to the mission where you attack a bunch of naval targets (Mission 11 iirc) and decided to just go nuts and finally try the Darkstar. Hahahahaha man that was downright relaxing. Just go 4-5k km/h and drop XSGM, and I can even resupply! Zoom zoom. I'm definitely going to play through these missions again with the OP planes after I beat it once.

I'm pretty aimless in the aircraft tree because I've never really liked the F35 or F22, nor am I particularly into the Sukhoi stuff. So I decided to just go for the Typhoon and then yolo from there!

• Options
    If anyone else wandering by wants to get the game, it's part of a weekend publisher sale on steam (until nov 22) and the base game is on sale for $9. The season pass is 60% off for $9, or $2.50x3 for the SP missions alone if I'm identifying them correctly.

hlzggwejumrm.png

• Options
    edited November 2022
    Anchorhead Raid is one of the best Ace Combat missions in the entire series (though I'm all about missions where you blow up a stupid amount of ground targets).

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Flying whatever I want was some good advice. The F-14 is fun, I like watching the sweep wings move, and the F-18's been my go-to. The LAGM was a really fun improvement over the F-104's ground rockets. Last night I got to the mission where you attack a bunch of naval targets (Mission 11 iirc) and decided to just go nuts and finally try the Darkstar. Hahahahaha man that was downright relaxing. Just go 4-5k km/h and drop XSGM, and I can even resupply! Zoom zoom. I'm definitely going to play through these missions again with the OP planes after I beat it once.

I'm pretty aimless in the aircraft tree because I've never really liked the F35 or F22, nor am I particularly into the Sukhoi stuff. So I decided to just go for the Typhoon and then yolo from there!

I've been unlocking planes with spare MRP from just trying to S-rank all the missions, and man...I feel I really missed out by beelining for the F-22 because the Gripen, Rafale and Typhoon are all amazing. The one downside is the cannon capacity is really low.
    Anchorhead Raid is one of the best Ace Combat missions in the entire series (though I'm all about missions where you blow up a stupid amount of ground targets).

Agreeing with this, though all the DLC missions are top tier. Unexpected Visitor is some of the best air combat in the game as well.

Though in a totally unexpected twist, I'm kind of loving the problem solving aspect of Faceless Soldier (also another absolutely awsome OST track as well). Because you either (1) go slow and steady or, way more fun, (2) take the fastest plane you can get, and weave in and out of the cloud layer to avoid missiles while dodging mountains.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular

The DLC missions are similar to other "open war" missions in AC7 where your wingmen are allowed to destroy enemies. I like being a mega ace, I get annoyed at having to do ALL the heavy lifting of an entire battle myself. And those missions do a good job of reinforcing that you're not alone. Such as...
    Count splitting up Rage and Scream, or the LRSSG covering you when you scan for the Alicorn.

• Options
    edited November 2022

Just did this mission again. My F-15E with the SFFS cluster bombs ate like a champ. Turned an entire naval fleet into a salvage company's wet dream.

It feels like it took them until the DLC to finally figure out Ace Combat 7's identity. The radio chatter, the constantly mutating objectives, the music... just *chef's kiss*. After hearing about how chaotic the dev cycle for AC7 was, I'm hoping this was them creating a blueprint to follow for AC8.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif