As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Ace Combat Thread (NSF56k)

1666768697072»

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Man I think l've judged Pulse Lasers too harshly. God damn.

Stabbity StyleError
  • Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    Red Raevyn wrote: »
    If anyone else wandering by wants to get the game, it's part of a weekend publisher sale on steam (until nov 22) and the base game is on sale for $9. The season pass is 60% off for $9, or $2.50x3 for the SP missions alone if I'm identifying them correctly.

hlzggwejumrm.png

If you think you want to play this on PC you should pick it up IMO...I wanted to play Assault Horizon (I know), but it's no longer for sale because the aircraft licensing expired. If/when AC8 comes out they might pull 7.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Do your wingmen actually do anything in the early base game missions? Feels like I pile them onto my back and carry them.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I think they may occasionally down one enemy if you wait long enough. I do feel like the one adult in a game full of ten-year olds, though.
    "I got two kills in that mission, that's a personal best! What did you get?"
    "Uh, sixty or so? Wait, what do massive interconnected offshore landing platforms count as?"

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    Synthesis
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    I think they may occasionally down one enemy if you wait long enough. I do feel like the one adult in a game full of ten-year olds, though.
    "Uh, sixty or so? Wait, what do massive interconnected offshore landing platforms count as?"

Like Legolas killing the Oilphants, that only counts as one

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    Stabbity Stylecj iwakuramanwiththemachinegun
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Nosf wrote: »
    Do your wingmen actually do anything in the early base game missions? Feels like I pile them onto my back and carry them.

Mission 2, is the first that "allows" your wingmen to make kills. But never priority targets. That's by design as their damaged is locked. You'll notice early on they can dump a dozen missiles into a target and nothing will happen.

That limit is unlocked in basically every "open engagement" score based mission, Two-pronged Strategy, Stonehenge Offensive, Battle for Farbanti, the DLC missions, etc.
    Naphtali wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »

Like Legolas killing the Oilphants, that only counts as one

Spoilers for the series.
    Mega aces like Mobius-1, Cipher, Trigger, Mihaly etc. are considered "singularities." Super soldiers produced through experience and natural skill rather than engineering. Each are so dangerous they can turn the tide of war by themselves. That's the whole subplot to the DLC 7 missions, an Osean military faction considers Trigger such a risk they're willing to hire mercenaries to try to kill him to "prove" that Osea doesn't need super-aces to win the war.

manwiththemachinegun on
    Thegreatcow
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    That doesn't seem like a very good use of money.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    That doesn't seem like a very good use of money.

they misunderstood the meaning of stick with trigger and you'll make it

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Guys, YouTube sent me down an Ace Combat OST rabbithole, I bought AC7 and have finished it multiple times now.

What I'm saying is, they should definitely remake the earlier games so I can play them on PC and I will give all the monies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_joxfh7Hgc

mmyep

I hate to nitpick such a once-in-a-lifetime thing, but those four singers were really drowned out by the orchestra during Zero and Rex Tremendae, they probably needed a full choir.

That Fires of Liberation was breathtaking, though.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    Synthesis
    Reject modernity! Shun the F-22 and return to the F-15C with pulse lasers!

Like god damn do I love this build. Speed and manoeuverability upgrades, radar locked cannon and laser damage and hit radius improvement and it just wrecks everything while accelerating and turning like a beast.

The lasers hit way further then their targeting so you can just no-scope incoming planes before they can even launch missiles and laugh at CIWS. You think you can outsmart me? Outsmart light amplication by stimulated emission of radiation suckas.

Stabbity StylemanwiththemachinegunBetsuniThegreatcow
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Reject modernity! Shun the F-22 and return to the F-15C with pulse lasers!

Like god damn do I love this build. Speed and manoeuverability upgrades, radar locked cannon and laser damage and hit radius improvement and it just wrecks everything while accelerating and turning like a beast.

The lasers hit way further then their targeting so you can just no-scope incoming planes before they can even launch missiles and laugh at CIWS. You think you can outsmart me? Outsmart light amplication by stimulated emission of radiation suckas.

Pulse lasers are super fun! Used them when I did my machine gun only run of 7. Other than a couple very annoying bosses, it was a surprisingly chill run.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • ErrorError Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    The SU-57 and the MIG-31 also wield the pulse laser. You get more shots with the SU-57 too. But then you are trading away the speed of the F-15. I only recently discovered that the MIG-31 carried it as well, so I can't comment on that plane too much, other than it steers like the frickin Titanic.

It is certainly my preferred weapon.

Error on
    Betsuni
    Whoo, just S-ranked Anchorhead Raid, which somehow I didn't do before. Also the debrief of that mission is god damn awesome, and they should feel very free to do more like that.

Johnny ChopsockyBetsuniStabbity Style
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Dang it, now I have the urge to play AC again to try this Pulse laser out. I passed on it since I figured I wouldn't be able to hit anything other than the sky or ground.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    cj iwakura
    edited November 2022
    Make sure it's the Pulse laser and not the beam. Which is very much useless and hits exactly the sky and ground. And space occasionally. F-15C, SU-57, MIG-31. And the two laser attachments in the parts bin.

Also beware cloud armor. Lasers suck in cloudy combat situations.

Error on
    Stabbity StyleBetsunielectricitylikesmeThegreatcow
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Also make sure you load up on a bunch of those MG/Pulse laser parts. They definitely help.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
    BetsunielectricitylikesmeThegreatcow
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Error wrote: »
    Make sure it's the Pulse laser and not the beam. Which is very much useless and hits exactly the sky and ground. And space occasionally. F-15C, SU-57, MIG-31. And the two laser attachments in the parts bin.

Also beware cloud armor. Lasers suck in cloudy combat situations.
    Also make sure you load up on a bunch of those MG/Pulse laser parts. They definitely help.

Thanks. I'll try to remember this whenever I get around to playing it again. I think I have the 15C unlocked.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    Stabbity Styleelectricitylikesme
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Error wrote: »
    The SU-57 and the MIG-31 also wield the pulse laser. You get more shots with the SU-57 too. But then you are trading away the speed of the F-15. I only recently discovered that the MIG-31 carried it as well, so I can't comment on that plane too much, other than it steers like the frickin Titanic.

It is certainly my preferred weapon.

I'm pretty sure the MiG-31 still holds the title for highest top speed in the game before DLC (and the sexy black plane from Hot Shots: Part Cruise), as it is the interceptor's interceptor and that's generally the role it plays in every AC title it appears it. Being the interceptor's interceptor though, even in AC's simplified flight "model" it's going to turn slowly, more like how the game models the A-10 or something.

BetsuniError
    The MIG-31 is the fastest jet in the game, until the fake stuff anyway. Never looked into how fast that stuff was. Anyway, I only ever used the MIG-31 to shoot down that ace in the bunker busting mission.

edited May 2023
    No big update, but bored at work I discovered a treasure trove of pilot callsigns. Most importantly, it includes the reason for the naming (and a few AC fans may find familar). Ranked they include,

Badass:
    Cypher – Broke through radio interference on a training flight.
    Vapor – A Viper pilot who landed with less than 100lbs of fuel left.
    Teflon – Hawg driver at Spangdahlem. Named after his smooth moves while in the air and on the ground
    Alphabet- There was a new guy in the squadron by the name of Varsonofy Krestovozdvizhensky. After the first day, everybody just called him Alphabet.
    Razor – Fellow pilot who always made the sharpest turns and sharpest manoeuvers in combat training.

I'm glad I didn't do it:
    Blaze – Caught on fire in the base kitchen
    IRIS – I Require Intense Supervision. Female NFO who would get blackout drunk and wander off to do stupid things.
    Free Willy – Prowler ECMO who used the relief tube, and forgot to zip up until he stepped out of the aircraft.
    P.E. – Premature Ejection – pressed the ejection switch in an aircraft while it was still on the runway.
    Magellan – poor sense of direction

Pilots are children:
    Me-So – Last name Horn
    Oh My – ‘Maj. ‘Oh My’ Gaud.’
    Plan B – When chicks walk in to the bar, they see this guy and know what their “last resort” is.
    LAMB – Notorious lady pilot who always had something low-cut when in civilian attire, thus LAMB (Look At My Boobs)
    Krod – Spell it backwards…

manwiththemachinegun on
    BetsuniShadowfirecj iwakuraIanatorStabbity StyleThegreatcowDrovekJohnny ChopsockyMancingtom
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2023
    Here's a neat thing someone did:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-62NhADy35U

Sheesh, who is this guy? The production values are insane.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    Stabbity StylemanwiththemachinegunArmsForPeace84
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Hey all! Still jonesing for some PLANE GO FAST EXPLOSIONS WOO, but no news of Ace Combat 8 leaving you in withdrawal? Do you have a PS5 and no Xbox or a PC that isn't a potato?

Well good news! Project Wingman just showed up on the PSN store today! Like, out of nowhere! And with an additional VR campaign that can still be played without VR!

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    manwiththemachinegunIanatorStabbity StyleBetsuniError
    I just saw that, hopefully there's a PC port. But if not I hope it's used to fund the sequel.

It's a side campaign set for a team of Federal reservists, awesome.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    PW released the 2.0 (beta) patch today, tons of great stuff in it.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    I was excited until I saw it's only on PS5. It could easily run on PS4, I bet.

wVEsyIc.png
    Feels like they should rewrite their store page, really makes it just seem like a VR game. Pretty much the only indication that it's not a VR game is the little box at the top with the game attributes like singleplayer, vr2 compatible, etc also saying vr optional and the line "No PlayStation®VR2? No worries. PlayStation®5 players can engage in these missions without a headset, too." buried in a middle paragraph.

Stabbity_Style.png
    Project Wingman on PS5 is a nice surprise. Sad its PSVR2 and not PSVR1 compatible.

Jose Pavli still crushing it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JxGghgJsFc

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Just rolled credits on Project Wingman.

Yo that game slaps. If you're craving more Ace Combat, this is some quality Aldi/Kirkland/Trader Joe's-brand Ace Combat.

So glad I finally got to play it (no Xbox, potato PC, had to wait until it surprise dropped on PS5). So very glad it lived up to what I hoped it would be.

ygPIJ.gif
    Stabbity StyleIanatormanwiththemachinegunBetsuni
    edited October 2023
    I don't I've ever had such a visceral hatred towards an enemy ace as I did towards Crimson-1.

Pixy is a bastard that gets a lot of people killed, but he's charismatic and graceful in defeat. Behind the scenes, he sort of has a redemption arc working for ISAF.

Crimson-1 is a murderer who goes crazy. Like, Torres "A MILLION IS A STATISTIC" crazy while screaming, "This is all your faaaault for making me do thiissss!"

manwiththemachinegun on
    Johnny Chopsocky
    edited October 2023
    God, Crimson-1 is such a piece of shit. His final diatribe belongs on Scrubquotes.
    Scrub had so much salt in his heart that he killed tens of thousands, if not millions, for his "YOU DIDN'T WIN! YOU DIDN'T WIN!" gambit.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    manwiththemachinegun
    knk2469143x31.jpg

"You're approaching me Cipher?"
    "I can't beat you to an inch of your life without getting closer."