As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Too Human

The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Games and Technology
We need a new thread for this game. The gamut of new media released today was pretty stunning.

Toohumanboxart.jpg

What:

Diablo 2 meets Phantasy Star Online. On Consoles. With 4 player online co-op.

When:

Middle of 2008. Demo before release (probably Bringing it Home at e3. August release most likely. Two sequels announced to be out on the 360, so probably 2010 and 2012 for them.

Who:

Silicon Knights. They made Eternal Darkness and the Metal Gear Solid remake on Gamecube called Twin Snakes.
Wikipedia wrote:
Too Human is a video game currently under development by Canadian developer Silicon Knights. The game is based around the future of technology and its effects on mankind. The story is based on Norse mythology. It is the first installment in a series of three games.

The player takes on the role of Baldur, one of the Aesir. In the ancient past, the Norse Gods truly existed, although only in the form of cybernetically enhanced humans. Baldur, son of Odin, is one of these gods and it is his duty to protect the human race from an onslaught of an advancing machine presence determined to eradicate all human life.

In Too Human, the story chronicles the ongoing struggle between cybernetic Norse gods, the invading machine presence and mortal men through an epic story. The story features many Norse gods and character from Norse mythology including Thor, Loki, Odin, Heimdall, Freyja, and Mimir. Norse mythology is entirely rooted and integral to every element in the storyline. The story features Yggdrasil, the tree of life, as a gateway to an alternate world known as Cyberspace that is accessed through the advanced technology of the Norse gods.

The machine presence in Too Human has a sinister purpose that is ironic when considered against the actions of the Norse gods. The human gods are using cybernetic implants to supplement their own abilities, thus becoming more machine. Conversely, the advancing machine army is harvesting human blood and limbs in an attempt to become more human.

Silicon Knights is reluctant to reveal the story details due to the game's high budget and story driven gameplay. Despite this, a message is contained in the runes on the officially released box art for the game, reading 'Machine Of God Of Man Of Machine'.

One of the major themes of Too Human is the extent of cybernetic upgrades that the gods use. In their battles against the approaching mechanical armies, the gods must continually enhance themselves through upgrading their cybernetics to keep up with their opponents, thus they become increasingly similar to their machine adversaries. Baldur, the title character is viewed by the other Norse gods as being insufficiently enhanced, thus "too human".[citation needed]

On an interesting note, Baldur is literally a "Silicon Knight".

Videos:

Equipment and Runes Walkthrough - HD
Freyja Walkthrough -HD
Prologue cutscene -HD
Fire fight gameplay -HD
Boss Fight gameplay -HD

Character Classes overview
Beserker Battle Gameplay
Interactive Flashback System
Camera Styles Walkthrough
Cinematic Camera Overview

mediacm5.jpg
me33diags7.jpg
434zv4.jpg
medi4aif3.jpg
medi23ady5.jpg
medi5awc6.jpg
media2lj3.jpg
media3zk5.jpg
media33uq7.jpg

Also, Denis Dyack will be on 1upYours today (will be online in a few hours). Grab it from iTunes or 1up.com. Should be interesting.

2008 in my opinion is going to be remembered for the redemption of Dyack. He got slaughtered in the press and public last year and even more so the year before in lieu of the poor showing of too Human. He was outspoken about it. Coupled with the lawsuit (still ongoing) with Epic over UE3, he was considered a write off.

Now, Too Human is perhaps my most anticipated title of 2008. It could bomb, but watching the new videos at GDC today I was impressed consistently from start to finish. Impressive. Polished. Promising. Interesting.

Discuss!

(The last Too Human thread just died, I hope this one doesnt.)

The_Scarab on

• corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Nice OP. I am still holding out hope that this game is going to rock. It looks better every time I see it.

corin7 on
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I've always been interested in this one and I've had it pre-ordered for a long time. In spite of Dyack's controversial nature, SK is one of my favorite developers.

This still sort of looks like a UE 3 game, probably because they're using the same art assets they've always had. Although, reports coming out of GDC say it doesn't suffer from the streaming issues that UE 3 sometimes has, so I'm all over that.

Playing a massive dungeon crawler without loads will bring me back to the glory days of Dungeon Siege. Here's hoping it delivers in the length department and that the story doesn't end abruptly due to this being a trilogy.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Chrono PaladinChrono Paladin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »

This is pretty much all I needed to hear.
    I actually have not looked at this...I thought it was going to be some generic shooter...thing. With swords.
    I'm not entirely sure how that made sense to me before.

Chrono Paladin on
  • slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Any information on what engine Silicon Knights wound up using?

From the screenshots, it certainly looks like UTIII, but given their lawsuit of last July there was the possibility of them going 100% homegrown.

Not having a 360, I found the legal wranglings and license debates more interesting than the game itself.

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

I actually have not looked at this...I thought it was going to be some generic shooter...thing. With swords.

It is one of the deepest RPGs I've ever seen. Watch some of the videos, the stat depth and items are more akin to a Final Fantasy than anything else. Which is awesome.

This is not a hack n slash. Make no mistake about that. For one, you can play the entire game without using melee.

The_Scarab on
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    slacktron wrote: »

From the screenshots, it certainly looks like UTIII, but given their lawsuit of last July there was the possibility of them going 100% homegrown.

Not having a 360, I found the legal wranglings and license debates more interesting than the game itself.

I'm fairly certain they indeed went 100 percent homegrown, but they kept their art, which is why parts of it still look like UE 3.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So is there enough content for single player only? New game plus, harder difficulties, things like that?

And:
    It is the first installment in a series of three games.

We are seeing way too much of this sentence lately.

Magic Pink on
    edited February 2008
    slacktron wrote: »

They were using Unreal Engine 3.

they are now using a proprietary engine custom built for the game because, they say, Epic didnt deliver support with UE3, in terms of engine bugs, lack of assets etc.

The_Scarab on
    edited February 2008
    Oh, any chance of split screen co-op? I doubt it but it would be nice.

Magic Pink on
    edited February 2008
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    So is there enough content for single player only? New game plus, harder difficulties, things like that?

Yeah. And like Guild Wars, if you want to tackle the harder dungeons and missions that require a group, you can hire AI henchment to support you. Which is awesome.

Honestly though, if they deliver this game as promised, I can see myself sinking my entire life into it. There was a whole period of my life back when PSO came out that is now a blur. Im talking a period of time measurable as a percentage of my entire life over 1% /played.

This game looks even more deep and impressive.

rw3qyr6.jpg

The_Scarab on
    edited February 2008
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Oh, any chance of split screen co-op? I doubt it but it would be nice.

Don't think anything was announced yet, but with Fable 2 having on screen co-op (not split screen) I can see it sneaking its way in before launch.

Almost certainly system link co-op will be in. Over XBL was confirmed for up to 4 people ages ago.

The_Scarab on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    4 player? Winsauce. I thought it might be 2, but 4 should be a blast, from the way the game appears at the moment.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
    edited February 2008
    I don't like any of the classes as they have announced but this is an absolute must buy if they pull all this off. Even without any internet connection.

Magic Pink on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I played the infamous build of the game, I crashed it 3 times in the 5-10 min I played. >:3

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008

It is one of the deepest RPGs I've ever seen. Watch some of the videos, the stat depth and items are more akin to a Final Fantasy than anything else. Which is awesome.

So, lots of spells, abilities, and items, and no one ever uses any of them because they're ineffective?

Woo, poison FTW!

The light bloom is annoying but otherwise it looks pretty cool. More sci-fi RPGs are a plus. Games like this come down to gameplay, though -- if it's too hack/slash, stats and items won't matter. If stats matter too much, the gameplay slows down and character management is key. That's the kind of shit you don't know about until a game's released, though.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
    edited February 2008
    EggyToast wrote: »

So, lots of spells, abilities, and items, and no one ever uses any of them because they're ineffective?

Woo, poison FTW!

That's not true. Monsters use them all the time. :P

Magic Pink on
    edited February 2008
    Indeed.

This game is more on the edge than any other.

It could easily be the best game released this year. Easily.

But one tiny slip up, or even one annoying bug or gameplay issue and it all breaks down and it bombs so hard.

Make or break at this point for me. It needs a demo, and knowing dyack, the demo we see will have been polished for months.

The_Scarab on
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I will say that the more I see of this game, the more likely I will buy it at launch. It's growing on me and the newer videos certainly show promise.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I still don't like the way your character moves around. Especially when he's jumping. It looks more like a slide upwards then a jump. I can't explain it properly but the way he moves seems really off and disconnected from the environement when I compare to other 3rd person action games like DMC, Ninja Gaiden, or God of War.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • My Name Is LukeMy Name Is Luke Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I've been interested in this game for a while, I hope that it doesn't end up sucking.

My Name Is Luke on
  • Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    GIANT ANGRY BEAR IS ANGRY
    mediacm5.jpg

Seriously though if they can work out the slowdown issues this could fucking rule... hard!
    I too lost my life to PSO but I met my wife through it (been together 7 years, married 3) so its not all bad!

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • PjstelfordPjstelford Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So we play as Baldur.

The male, virgin, god of beauty.

With a giant hammer.

Sure, this sounds like fun.

Pjstelford on
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I want to anticipate this game, but I know it's standing between me and another sequel to Eternal Darkness, so I loathe it so.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Pjstelford wrote: »
    So we play as Baldur.

The male, virgin, god of beauty.

With a giant hammer.

Sure, this sounds like fun.

That's him on the cover. He's kinda fucked up.

He's Xtreme now.

Renzo on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I want to anticipate this game, but I know it's standing between me and another sequel to Eternal Darkness, so I loathe it so.
    May the rats have their eyes..

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • NORNOR Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I watched those new videos for this.

The best thing (well only good thing) about them what the character equipment screen. The animations, art (poly, and texture, the lighting is ok) are terrible, and the game-play looks terribly boring and repetitive (maybe they are just hiding the lions share of it?).

I'd call it awkward and uninteresting at the best.

NOR on
    Swehehehehehahahahahahahahahawhawhawhaw
    edited February 2008
    Maybe you didnt play Diablo 2. Repetition is the biggest draw.

The_Scarab on
    edited February 2008

The thing is, Diablo 2's repetition came from varied sources, there where a whole host of skills you could learn and use, sure most characters never used more than two but every class had several viable (if not 100% optimal) choices.

Too Human looks like it has melee attack, explody thing, and ranged attack.

Like I said, maybe they are hiding the lions share of the game-play, but what the fuck reason do they have to do that?

NOR on
    edited February 2008
    NOR wrote: »

The thing is, Diablo 2's repetition came from varied sources, there where a whole host of skills you could learn and use, sure most characters never used more than two but every class had several viable (if not 100% optimal) choices.

Like I said, maybe they are hiding the lions share of the game-play, but what the fuck reason do they have to do that?

Did you watch all of the videos in the OP? All of them?

The_Scarab on
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I for one, can't wait to give up my humanity for awesome cybernetic enchancements.
    I also want a robotic arm, but they need to make one with super strength first.

Xtarath on
    edited February 2008
    NOR wrote: »

Did you watch all of the videos in the OP? All of them?

Every single one of the game-play videos, and even a couple of the cut-scene ones, I also watched the equipment and runes demonstration.

NOR on
  • EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I really want to like Too Human, but every video I watch has me less and less interested. Those animations are as hideous as the ones from that teaser they released last year, and the combat just looks boring. I'll stick with Diablo 2 and Titan Quest, TYVM.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
    edited February 2008
    Then what are you talking about?

Because they directly contradict your assertion that it has like 3 attacks and simple combat.

You're not blind or something are you?

(note: Im not some Too Human apologist, its just what you claim and what the videos show are not the samE)

The_Scarab on
    edited February 2008
    Then what are you talking about?

Because they directly contradict your assertion that it has like 3 attacks and simple combat.

You're not blind or something are you?

(note: Im not some Too Human apologist, its just what you claim and what the videos show are not the samE)

Sorry, hold on a second.

I grouped the generic assortment of interchangeable melee attacks into a single "melee attack" group. Sorry about that.

NOR on
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I rarely assume I will love a game before it comes out, especially with a new IP, but I will make an exception here.

You got me, Dyack, you fucker. Enjoy my 60 bucks. I hope you choke on it.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Has this game been played by anyone outside of SK since that demo that was deemed total shit by the gaming "press" a while back? Sure, a lot of time has passed, but is there anything that indicated that the game has actually improved?

Dirty on
    edited February 2008
    I mean I looked at the screen shots and was all like "wow this is looking better than it was before" and then I watched the videos and was all like "nope this looks exactly the fucking same".

I really liked Silicon Knights too, I had high damn hopes for this game before anyone got to see any of it.

But really, UGG.

NOR on
  • Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Evangir wrote: »
    I really want to like Too Human, but every video I watch has me less and less interested. Those animations are as hideous as the ones from that teaser they released last year, and the combat just looks boring. I'll stick with Diablo 2 and Titan Quest, TYVM.

This was my problem... I haven't seen the new videos yet, since I'm at work, but the trailer they released on XBox Live did not impress me. The concept behind the game seems interesting, but the gameplay itself looked very... loose and flimsy? I'm not sure how to describe it. Combat, specifically, doesn't look like there's a lot of weight behind anything.

I'll reserve judgement until I see the new footage, but I wasn't particularly optimistic about the game after seeing the Live trailer.

Vargas Prime on
  • corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Dirty wrote: »
    Has this game been played by anyone outside of SK since that demo that was deemed total shit by the gaming "press" a while back? Sure, a lot of time has passed, but is there anything that indicated that the game has actually improved?

Yes everyone and their mom played it at GDC this week and aside from a few nagging camera issues it sounds like it is turning out to be pretty decent.

corin7 on
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I saw all those new videos on IGN, and I must say, I'm completely and utterly impressed.

I got sick of Devil May Cry 4 very quickly. I think this will be able to hold me over. I'll buy it on day one.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]