As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dungeon Traps and Gimmicks

UEAKCrashUEAKCrash hehRegistered User regular
edited April 2008 in Critical Failures
Hey guys, did a quick search and didn't find a thread on the subject, so a post was demanded of me.

Carnage, if you are reading this, get your bitchass out of this thread. For there shall be spoilers of our campaign.

That said, I was just wondering if you guys would like to share some of your more clever traps/ dungeon gimmicks.

First one of mine. I believe I originally found this one online, but it worked out pretty good. The party entered a small room, about 20 x 20 x 20, I believe. The room was just an ordinary appearing room with two skeletons leaning up against the wall, matched the rest of the dungeon, and had a door on either end, although the exit was closed. There were torches offset in walls in the four corners, and a thick layer of dust over everything. Also a small metal grate was noticed on the ceiling. When the party was fully in the room, the entrance to the room closed quickly, and a pressurized seal was heard (Like a short hiss). Both entrance and exit were locked tight with a very solid stone door. Search checks all around revealed a small button on one of the walls, with a small dial counter that was going down from 60 on it. When timed with someones hourglass, it was infact counting down in seconds. The party began frantically searching the room for anything that they missed, assuming something horrible was about to happen when it got to 0. Eventually the slightly dull Barbarian freaked out just before it hit 0 and pressed the button on the wall. The counter reset itself and continued to count down. The Barbarians job was to press the button repeatedly so the rest of the party could search the room for a way out.

They searched the skeletons, who appeared to be average adventurers, found a few small supplies, but nothing that could help them.

One of the smarter party members pointed out that the torches in the room were going to eat away at our air if they didn't figure it out soon, since the room seems to be airtight. This increased the frantic searching. Someone in the group tried to extinguish the flames, and took a decent chunk of fire based magic damage. The party eventually tried climbing up to the small grate in the ceiling, managed to pry it off, and shoved one of the smaller-raced characters into it. He crawled over a skelton, found nothing useful on his body, crawl further for a ways, hit the dead end, and missed his spot check to notice the symbol written on the "duct" and took a very big lightening blast to his chest, blowing him back out of the hole, into the stack of party members.

One of my players was starting to get very frustrated with the whole thing, and began fighting the the rest of the group, a lot of tension was in the air as they tried for a very long time to figure out how the hell they were going to get out of this. Eventually the air started getting very thin, and everyones nerves where high. Soon the Barbarian made an announcement. He was not going to push the button any longer. A few of the party members freaked out, afraid of what may come, and tried to push it themselves. For about 8 rounds, the Barbarian had to defend his button from getting pressed from the rest of the party members.

When the timer finally hit zero, everyone cringed, and both doors opened with a rush of air, and many different forms of "snackage" were thrown at the DM with great rage behind them.

While the party was rather pissed at me at the time, they all admitted afterwards that it was actually pretty cool, since they all got really into it, and some excellent character development was done in the process.

But I need some ideas for new traps and dungeon rooms for my upcoming campaign. I pretty much have to come up with a massive dungeon within the next week, and am running out of ideas quick. The main aspects of the dungeon is that they have to find two seperate keys (In the form of a pair of pretty nice Bastard swords), but these keys are at two opposite ends of this dungeon, which they are currently standing in the direct center of. One side is going to be mostly undead/ necromancy themed, while the other is going to be insectoid.

So any ideas guys? Doesn't have to fit my dungeon at all, I just want to hear some cool traps and stories.

UEAKCrash on

• Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Wasn't there a whole compilation series of books of traps for rpg genres during the 80's?

Ayup - Grimtooth.

That book is not the only one of it's kind; search for "Grimtooth".

Squashua on
  • Options
    MasterGraterMasterGrater Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I haven't tried it out yet, but my idea is a bunch of bear traps (20, maybe) with chains suspending them in the air at varying heights, ranging from having to crouch slightly to not touch one, to having to crawl to not touch one. Each of the bear traps has a wire hanging out the middle of them. When the wire is touched, that particular trap will be set off.

I guess you could increase the tension by having a couple enemies run after the players when they are in the middle of crossing it.

MasterGrater on
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Blog Post on Grimtooth

Contains helpful graphic illustration:

trapkx1.jpg

Squashua on
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Recently in my D&D group they came across a series of magical rooms, six of them in a row. Each room reduced one of the six statistics by half (this was not particularly high level, so after this there were only a couple people who had a stat high enough not to be a major penalty).

Then, in each room, they were presented with a challenge which would have been simple, if not for the fact that the relevant statistic had just been shaved into oblivion.

For Strength, they had to fight a monster, pretty basic. After defeating the monster, their strength was restored.

For Dexterity, they had to cross a tightrope to get to the other side of a big, dangerous (possibly magma filled or manticore infested) pit. The trick to this one is to augment someone to be able to get across without having to balance on the tightrope. Once any party member crosses, the dexterity is restored.

For constitution, a long room where players take 1d4 damage every time they step 5 feet. The trick here is to travel without touching the floor, very similar to the room above, but this one is intended to deal a little bit of damage to them whilst they figure out what they're doing.

For intelligence, they had a choice of 5 emeralds, 4 of which were fake, and they had to put the real emerald in a slot which would restore their intelligence. Successful appraise would work in this situation, as well as any other number of intelligence-based skills, but the trick is to find out which gem is real by analyzing which gem has the magical property enabling it to interact with the slot, wherever the slot is.

For wisdom, they had to travel a moderately sized long room in which light-based apparitions attempted to accost the party, unless they could be 'spot'ted by a party member. The trick here was to reflect the apparitions without needing to see them, ie shield wall, or any other of the many ways players can defend themselves without looking.

For charisma, they had to convince a spectral council to give them a key to the next room. This one is very open, my group accomplished it by getting the council to argue and bicker amongst themselves, while the rogue pickpocketed the key from them.

This was a group which reveled in finding new and creative ways to solve situations and get through scenarios, and it worked out very well.

Rend on
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I had a very, very long hallway with a steep slope recently in which, once the trap is sprung the whole floor is greazed ( in this case via the spell) then a huge stone block drops behind the party. The block fills the entire hieght and width of the hall. After the block hits the floor it begins to slide down the steep decline chasing the pc's down the hall who now have to make run and balance checks to stay ahead of it. As they run, slip, slide etc... they see occasional pockets allong the walls where one person can fit. The idea was that they can choose to stop the block in some way, choose to bail on the party, or wait to see what happens at the bottom. At the bottom I had 2 last nooks to hop into, one containing a button to stop the block just shy of the end of the line, and a spiked door that would spell the end of the remaining party members if someone didnt get into the nook with enough time to press the button. I left it open to any creative ways to stop the block they wanted to try, before the bottom. A couple took the cowards way out at different points which made it more and more dramatic as fewer players tried to scramble and save the remaining. It ended with one guy intentionally racing to the bottom like a bobsledder and taking some damage from the wall...then scrambling to the button for the last second save....the party raved about this trap..so i thought i would mention it.

Hawkstone on
    Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This is more of a gimmick than any kind of well thought out labyrinthe. It was in one of those dungeon-crawl classics books that you can find in most game stores. We were just doing a one-shot adventure, and right at the entrance to the dungeon is a sign. So naturally I read what is written on the sign. Of course, whatever dick designer made up that module decided that the sign was written in Runes of Eyeball Implosion, which do exactly what they say they do, without any kind of save. Why the hell would anyone expect that from such an innocuous sign? If I remember correctly, probably 90% of the written shit in this place were just more Runes of Eyeball Implosion.

Our group just got to the point where the DM would say "and you see some faint writing above the lever," and we'd just blow it off and pull the lever, which lead to more gruesome deaths.

So I guess the moral is that those Dungeon Crawl Classics are bullshit.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, I never quite understood why some DM's have the urge to just mercilessly slaughter their PC's. If there isn't a way past a trap, then that's just shitty DMing.

I like to make my players think, not die.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    some take sadisitic glee in designing stuff that takes nothing short of a psychic channel into the dm's mind to survive..

Hawkstone on
  • Options
    LegionnairedLegionnaired Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Iron Golems.

Flint Floor.

Room Filling with Poisonous, flammable Gas.

+ Any other puzzle.

Legionnaired on
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I read this one in a massive thread on interesting traps that was linked to a while ago:

The players enter one end of a long hallway. What they see is a group of skeletons in tattered robes and armor approaching them from the other end of the hallway. If the warriors unsheathe their weapons, so do the skeletons. If the mage readies a spell, so does one of the skeletons. This will, of course, cause some significant amount of panic.

What it actually is is a large Mirror of Spell Reflection, enchanted to show all living things as skeletons and all equipment as old, tattered and rusted.

If the party is not careful enough to realize that the skeletons happen to have a lot in common with their own party and/or fail to realize what this means, odds are very good that their first impulse will be to blast the skeletons with a powerful spell. Which will come back to them, but seem to be a spell cast by the skeletons. There's no telling how long it will take them to figure this out.

Once they do figure it out, they'll need to break the mirror to get by. What you put behind the mirror is entirely up to you- I suggest some form of sinister ant farm (if you don't mind mixing some undead themes with insectoid themes).

Possible problems with this idea: Area effect spells, which I am told won't get reflected. Also consider the value of a large amount of Mirror of Spell Reflection, assuming you can't cause the shards to be destroyed somehow by whatever is behind it, or whatever.

Tarantio on
  • Options
    LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I heard about this one from a friend, who I think heard of it from some forum somewhere.

Ok, the PC's enter a room, say 30x30 or so, with a high ceiling and a torch hanging from a rope at the top of the ceiling. The floor of the room is a bout a foot or so lower than the room before and filled half way up with a liquid. This liquid is lamp oil. On the other side of the room is a door, but as soon as the PC's all enter the room, the door behind them slams shut and locks, and the door in front of them wont budge. There is a button hidden somewhere, doesnt really matter where, but it has a real high search check to find, adjust for the PC's and such. Anyway, as soon as the door closes and locks, the torch starts lowering from the ceiling. Hopefully a veritable panic will erupt with the PC's. Torch looks like it will hit the oil in about 10 rounds or so. Well, hopefully no one finds the button before the torch hits the oil, the PC's brace themselves for a firey death AND..... nothing happens. Go go everburning torch! So by now the PC's should be throughly annoyed with you and all they have to do is take a 20 on search to find the button (or a lucky roll while frantically searching) and they can move on.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Definately using the mirror one, already wrote it into my campaign.

In my search I found a kind of interesting item that's sort of a trap, that I modified to not suck as bad as it originally did, infact be good after awhile.

Its a small, very ornate, black and purple jewlers loupe that radiates magical energy, that when used the first time, superheats and fuses to the users eye socket. For about 3 days, the person in extreme agony and cannot see out of that eye (Some negatives on all vision based skills and concentration checks). After the 3 days, the wearer can see out of the eye again, but it is extremely blurry and gives him headaches when he tries. After a few more days, he get's used to it and him and the loupe develope a sort of synergy and he'll learn how to focus the lense, and is able to match it to his other eye. He'll get some bonuses to his search and appraise checks permanently.

The Loupe cannot be removed without completely removing the wearers eye.

So, I figured it'll be a cool thing to throw at a player, it will permanently affect the players char in a RP sense and give some cool bonuses.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    For low level groups, I'm always a fan of the pit with treasure at the bottom...and a Gelatinous Cube filling it.

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    UEAKCrash wrote: »
    Definately using the mirror one, already wrote it into my campaign.

Ooh, had you heard of it before, or did you write really quickly? Also, tell us what you decide to put behind the mirror.

I'll see if I can come up with anything similarly devious, in the meantime.

Tarantio on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Nope, I was literally writing my campaign as I read that (sorta A.D.D.'d), and I wrote it in next. I decided to put a small army of the insect creatures I have yet to create behind it. I figure my usually over-anxious Barbarian will go through it rather quickly and fall right into them.

Luckily I have a character in this though that will cast a spell at the mirror pretty quickly, only to have it reflected back at him. So atleast maybe I can goad a few of the other spellcasters into trying to cast a spell.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    This page seems to have links to a bunch of ideas:

http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-328817

Tarantio on
  • Options
    MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I was in a campaign once and we went through an eccentric wizard's mansion which had lots of fun traps in it.

One we all enjoyed was as follows: Party enters a long hallway, dimly lit etc etc. Eventually they might notice it is sloping gently upwards. Observant party members will notice parallel scrapes and gouges all along the walls (hopefully mistaking them for burrowing creatures or something like we did). When they reach the top of the slope they find it ends in a wall and a door. The door is huge and heavy, with no lock and a simple pull handle, and hinges on the party's side (i.e. swings towards them). The door budges very slightly when pulled. If all goes well, the whole party starts pulling with all their might. It starts to work, ever so slowly; then the party realizes, too late, that the dor is moving, but so is the wall. The whole thing slides forward and teeters on the edge of the slope, of course by this time it's too late - the whole wall starts sliding down the hill, slowly at first but it will gather speed and crush the party at the other end. Of course when they run back to the bottom, that door has swung shut and locked. They have to pick it fast, or try to wedge stuff under the wall, and eventually push the whole thing back uphill. When they get to the top, if they keep pushing past the original spot they will reveal a door in the side tunnel wall that was being covered by the fake wall.

Another classic was party enters a room, possibly even an innocuous bedroom or living area: it radiates strong illusion magic! Everyone will save to disbelieve it! Yay, everyone succeeds! Everyone has successfully seen through the illusion... of the floor! Party falls down 10-20 feet, nothing fatal, but now they have to find a way up and out, and the only things to hang on to are furniture bolted to the wall above them or doorknobs of real doors leading in or out. It was fun leaping from furniture to furniture and then hanging onto a doorknob, then trying to open the door and swing a leg up from that position :D

MolotovCockatoo on
    Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    Kaiju15Kaiju15 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    That link doesn't work...

Kaiju15 on
    It is your duty as a filmgoer to see Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Kaiju15 wrote: »
    That link doesn't work...

Works for me. Turned out to be pretty useful so far.

You mean the last one, right?

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I mean the link to Gleemax that didn't work a minute ago, but works now and makes me look like a tool.

Kaiju15 on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    For low level groups, I'm always a fan of the pit with treasure at the bottom...and a Gelatinous Cube filling it.

funny story

I dove into that once as a warforged juggernaut 1/fighter 5

after about 10 or so turns of attempting to swim out, I got tired and power attacked the thing with my fist and killed it in one hit

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Here's a handful from the campaign I'm going to be running here tomorrow...

A large stone door with face carved into it. It has a regular handle on it. It radiates some for of magic. When the players try the handle, they find it is unlocked. When they turn the handle and open the door, two hands appear, one pushes the player back, the other shuts the door. One dissapears as the other waves a finger at the player. It then dissapears as well.
    If they try again, the same thing happens.
    After the third try, the hand very forcible shoves the player back about 10 feet, the other handle gives them the bird.
    Fifth time, about 15feet (Knocking the player through the table in the room behind them), againt he bird.
    This repeats, getting worse and worse untill eventually it begins summoning things to fight them.
    If the players simply knock on the door, one hand opens it up for them as the other gestures them through.

Another one I thought was rather funny is designed to combat those charge immediately sort of players. It appears to be just a long hallway with a few mobs about 3/4 of the way through. When the player charges, and I know he will, he will get about halfway and fall through the paper floor that is there. There is a ladder in front of him leading up. When he runs over to the ladder, the second paper floor breaks through and he falls into a rather deep pit. Spikes optional. I chose a Gelatinous Cube.

I think I decided to torture the overzealous Barbarian in this dungeon or something... Next one is just plain rotting wooden door. Very old and very brittle looking. It's locked. Of course, a boot goes into the door. Or rather, thru it. When the foot goes through, a metal loop clamps down on the PC's foot and drags him through a gauntlet of spikes, lava, monsters, and lots of other jaggy hurtful things. He however, escapes rather mostly unharmed. But is now hanging upside down behind a force-field on a display case by his ankle. The rest of the party now has to fight there way through said gauntlet to get to him and break him free.

I've also grown for a fondness of lubricating (just soaking them in grease or oil) my players just before they have to rush up a large smooth stone incline. Archers at the top for added fun.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Heh, in one campaign i was running, my two players were tasked with getting some kinda magic gejaw out of a big mansion and after scaling the wall, they started charging through the house killing and bashing through doors. I got a bit sick of this, and so when the Barbarian charged a door, I said, "You succeed in smashing through the door like it was paper. Roll a reflex save to avoid flying over the banister." He failed, fell down a story, but managed to make another save and grab the level below that. . Good times :)

One gimmick that I tried to use, but never got to finish the campaign, was as follows...After fighting through a big castle that had been taken over by various demons, they find that a huge tunnel had been dug in the basement, after a mistaken summoning by the old (dead) master of the castle. After wandering around a bit, they find what looks to be a beautiful girl, tied up on a rack in a magic lab. This was also revenge at a Paladin, who wouldn't do ANYTHING without a "DETECT EVIL!" After a detect evil, I say it's registering as good. Then say, it's registering as evil, then good, back and forth before settling on good. Apparently, the girl was a Succubus who was part of an experiment to forceably chance a person's alignment to the opposite of what it was. (Yes, I know i was playing fast and lose with the rules, but eh, it was fun :) ) The Succubus was good, but basically had extreme Schizophrenia, and would randomly revert to Evil for a short time and freak out. Of course, she was also very powerful and would make the hike to the demon king a lot easier. It was fun seeing them argue over weither to leave her or kill her. I would also remind them that leaving a good person there "Might" be a evil act, which really set the Paladin off.

Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Quick update on how the traps went, I'll post some more tomorrow:

The mirrow in the hallway trap was rather funny, as the psion in our group did his crystal shard cone attack. It reflected back and we all got completely covered in shards. It was rather funny. Then the Barbarian broke through the mirror and got attacked by the undead I decided to put behind it.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    You could try using an illusion that shows a person pushing a button that creates a positive effect (Opening a door, creating treasure, setting off a trap in another area, etc.) but when a party member actually presses the button, it creates a negative effect (setting off a trap beneath the character, contact poison, etc.)

Kaiju15 on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Underwater tunnels that are just short enough for the party to make it through on a breath are absolutely wonderful to play with.

You can have skeletons in the mud reach out to grapple, shadows in the wall to ruin that swim check, invisible barriers or nets, illusions that trick everyone into only THINKING it's that short..., barrier traps, suction into another area...

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    TheGreatestAliasEverTheGreatestAliasEver Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Please don't let this thread die. This is really really inspiring stuff xD.

I'm DMing for a party right now that I had this one to throw at them:

My party was going through a dungeon I made and they entered a stone room that was filled with lots, and lots, and LOTS of spiders. Well, IRL and RP, the warrior hates spiders. HATES them. He started freaking out and slammed his hammer as hard as he could into the ones on the floor, which broke through the floor which was actually old, decayed wood with a thin carpet over it that looked like stone. They all fell about 20 feet as the floor gave out into a dark, musty pit. One of the Mages cast a light spell, which revealed them to be sharing the area with a really, really big spider. Of course, all of my party freaked out and started to attack the thing, and nothing damaged it. at all. It was immune to damage. Two of my players were fighting with it to the bitter end, and they ended up getting bit and passing out from the venom. the third one started to beg for his life and ended it by saying "PLEASE."

The spider froze in the middle of biting him.

It took the party a while to figure out they could actually ride the thing out of the room, and even then, the warrior took a long time to convince to get on this things back.

Not as great as some of your ideas, but it was fun.

TheGreatestAliasEver on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I have one that is High level only, I have used it off an on through the years. The part enters a cylindrical room with a raised round platform in the center, there are 10 ropes attached firmly to the sides of the platform laying on the ground. Once the whole party is in, the door closes behind them. Then, subtly at first the wind starts to pick up in the room, increasing in intensity until the party is getting blown about by the wind. Eventually it will reach huricane force, and the party members will have to grab the ropes to keep from getting bashed into the walls. A spot or search check reveals at this stage that a button has raised up from the center of the platform. Next short knife sized blades push out from the walls turning the room into a blender. Hopefully if you are a kind GM you have given the party time to cast spells, get their hands on a rope, piton into the floor, or whatever creative method they can come up with to keep from getting cut to ribbons. The solution of course is just to make it to the button. In D&D I used climb checks on the ropes in most occasions...though a wizard with fly can make an attempt as well..tough flying in hurricanes though...

Hawkstone on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Hawkstone wrote: »
    I have one that is High level only, I have used it off an on through the years. The part enters a cylindrical room with a raised round platform in the center, there are 10 ropes attached firmly to the sides of the platform laying on the ground. Once the whole party is in, the door closes behind them. Then, subtly at first the wind starts to pick up in the room, increasing in intensity until the party is getting blown about by the wind. Eventually it will reach huricane force, and the party members will have to grab the ropes to keep from getting bashed into the walls. A spot or search check reveals at this stage that a button has raised up from the center of the platform. Next short knife sized blades push out from the walls turning the room into a blender. Hopefully if you are a kind GM you have given the party time to cast spells, get their hands on a rope, piton into the floor, or whatever creative method they can come up with to keep from getting cut to ribbons. The solution of course is just to make it to the button. In D&D I used climb checks on the ropes in most occasions...though a wizard with fly can make an attempt as well..tough flying in hurricanes though...

We just played one similar to this, except it was underwater, and didn't have any ropes. Just a hole in the center of the floor

We ended up wedging our warrior into the hole and everyone roped themselves to him. Then we had to swing the Rogue (oh wait... that was me!) around in circles and let out the rope at exactly the right time for him to grab the lever and pull it to stop the whole thing.

I took some serious damage the first two tries.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    You could try a trap that makes it seem that the party is falling down an endless tunnel and must kill a bunch of enemies at free fall to make it stop... only to have them realise that there is a real floor coming at them very fast.

Kaiju15 on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2008
    Something from the MERP module about Isengard and Saruman's Tower.

There is a door, and the players have to get to the other side of it, either because it's the way forward or it's the door to the loot room. There's a keyhole, but no handle, and everything about the door just screams 'Important Door Here!'. It's ornate, it looks heavy, and is obviously a trap. Any attempt to pick the lock will result in a trap being sprung (poison darts, trap door, giant mallet with comedy sound-effects, etc) and will also almost certainly fail to unlock anything (said lock is incredibly difficult to pick, for reasons that will become clear). Multiple attempts at picking the lock will result in other, new traps going off in escalating levels of deadliness (multiple redundancies of whatever number you deem appropriate), filling the room with gas, releasing critters, crossbow bolts at point blank range, etc. And if they do manage to successfully pick the 'lock' a really nasty trap will go off and affect everybody in the room.

Because it's not really a lock. It's a mechanism the sole purpose of which is to set off traps that looks like a lock, but actually has nothing to do with the door itself. The solution to the problem is to simply push the door open. It isn't locked, and there's a handle on the other side for anyone coming the other way. It's on a catch, so it won't just blow open, but one solid push will open it and avoid any unpleasantness. Close examination of the lock might reveal this to be the case, but I'd make it quite difficult unless some smart-alec in the party catches on and starts wondering whether or not the lock is indeed all that it appears. After all, it looks like a lock, and the visible parts of it certainly look like a lock.

For maximum effect, it's best to stick this somewhere where the players will know that this door just has to be trapped, or place it right after a number of other inventive and deadly traps have been encountered by the players, thus priming them to believe that they shouldn't do the obvious thing. You could have them chase a bad guy into the room just in time for them to see him disappear behind the door. Several ominous clicks will come from the door as the traps all reset and the party instantly knows that the door is both locked and rigged and then spends the next ten minutes trying to pick the lock and instead getting it right in the neck. Cue GM hilarity.

Bogart on
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So, something like this then.
    The Most Unneccessarily Overly Trapped Door Ever :) Only not locked.
    Source: Goblins. specifically Tempts Fate 5: here

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    We should almost turn this thread into a meta-PbP where we post puzzles/traps and then everyone tries to pass them and get pass/fail "that would/wouldn't work".

Obviously only non-roll based traps would apply "There is a lock" "I roll a 20." :P
    I dunno, maybe it wouldn't work. I've done something like that at Origins once, just sitting around chatting with some guys. Here's one I remember:

Large, 100' diameter cylindrical room. 100' ceiling. Intermittent fist sized holes in the walls, spaced 1' apart, from the ground up to 10' high.
    In the center of the room is a square stone pillar, 6"x6"x100'. The pillar has two 'slots' about 1" wide running from floor to ceiling on two opposite sides.

As soon as the PC's enter the room, the doors lock and the floor begins to rotate - slowly at first, then faster and faster. As it rotates, spikes begin to emerge from the holes in the wall.

How do you survive?

A handful of people post your solution and I'll tell you how you died :lol:

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    We should almost turn this thread into a meta-PbP where we post puzzles/traps and then everyone tries to pass them and get pass/fail "that would/wouldn't work".

Obviously only non-roll based traps would apply "There is a lock" "I roll a 20." :P
    I dunno, maybe it wouldn't work. I've done something like that at Origins once, just sitting around chatting with some guys. Here's one I remember:

Large, 100' diameter cylindrical room. 100' ceiling. Intermittent fist sized holes in the walls, spaced 1' apart, from the ground up to 10' high.
    In the center of the room is a square stone pillar, 6"x6"x100'. The pillar has two 'slots' about 1" wide running from floor to ceiling on two opposite sides.

As soon as the PC's enter the room, the doors lock and the floor begins to rotate - slowly at first, then faster and faster. As it rotates, spikes begin to emerge from the holes in the wall.

How do you survive?

A handful of people post your solution and I'll tell you how you died :lol:

Is the pillar and walls rotating as well? If it isn't then just climb onto the pillar. If it is could you not just wrap your arms around the pillar and hold on?

Or, assuming that the centrifugal force is strong enough, shimmy up the pillar until you are more than 10' off the ground. Then let go and let the centrifugal force pin you to the wall above the spikes(You would get hurt from the impact, but if you could survive would be immune from the spikes).

Last Son on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Centrifugal force is a big factor here, yes ^^
    Only the floor is turning, the walls are not.
    The pillar is also stationary.

If your feet are on the ground you're probably going to have more difficulty holding on. Even if you don't realize this until the floor really gets going, you will eventually want to climb - 1' or 50' or some height greater than zero so your feet are off the ground.

So, LastSon is shimmying up the pillar. The floor is up to 1 revolution per 10 seconds. What's the 'rest of the party' doing? ;o

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Climbing the spikes? they are well-spaced and most 'spikes' are only sharp on the pointy end, if even there.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Bogart wrote: »
    Something from the MERP module about Isengard and Saruman's Tower.

There is a door, and the players have to get to the other side of it, either because it's the way forward or it's the door to the loot room. There's a keyhole, but no handle, and everything about the door just screams 'Important Door Here!'. It's ornate, it looks heavy, and is obviously a trap. Any attempt to pick the lock will result in a trap being sprung (poison darts, trap door, giant mallet with comedy sound-effects, etc) and will also almost certainly fail to unlock anything (said lock is incredibly difficult to pick, for reasons that will become clear). Multiple attempts at picking the lock will result in other, new traps going off in escalating levels of deadliness (multiple redundancies of whatever number you deem appropriate), filling the room with gas, releasing critters, crossbow bolts at point blank range, etc. And if they do manage to successfully pick the 'lock' a really nasty trap will go off and affect everybody in the room.

Because it's not really a lock. It's a mechanism the sole purpose of which is to set off traps that looks like a lock, but actually has nothing to do with the door itself. The solution to the problem is to simply push the door open. It isn't locked, and there's a handle on the other side for anyone coming the other way. It's on a catch, so it won't just blow open, but one solid push will open it and avoid any unpleasantness. Close examination of the lock might reveal this to be the case, but I'd make it quite difficult unless some smart-alec in the party catches on and starts wondering whether or not the lock is indeed all that it appears. After all, it looks like a lock, and the visible parts of it certainly look like a lock.

For maximum effect, it's best to stick this somewhere where the players will know that this door just has to be trapped, or place it right after a number of other inventive and deadly traps have been encountered by the players, thus priming them to believe that they shouldn't do the obvious thing. You could have them chase a bad guy into the room just in time for them to see him disappear behind the door. Several ominous clicks will come from the door as the traps all reset and the party instantly knows that the door is both locked and rigged and then spends the next ten minutes trying to pick the lock and instead getting it right in the neck. Cue GM hilarity.

Unfortunately, my players would most likely try pushing it FIRST as they know I do mean things to them like this.

So I guess it pays to not constantly trick your PC's into doing stupid stuff for no reason. :D

And as for fadingathedges's trap, I would most likely climb the pillar and investigate the slots on my way up.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Elldren made the suggestion I was considering; If only the floor is moving, then one simply needs to stay off the floor, and by the sound of it the extended spikes are grouped together enough to provide the best things to grab and stand on, basically like a ladder.

The question then becomes when does the trap stop? :P

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I realized too late that I gave too much information with the 'how do you survive'; once the trap runs it's course it will indeed stop. You just need to survive until then. In an actual game though where the players don't know that or have any clue what to expect, I think the room would be more "fun".
    Utsanomiko wrote: »
    Elldren made the suggestion I was considering; If only the floor is moving, then one simply needs to stay off the floor, and by the sound of it the extended spikes are grouped together enough to provide the best things to grab and stand on, basically like a ladder.

UEAKCrash: It's dark in there but with a little poking you determine there is a chain in the back of each slot running the height of the column, floor to ceiling. They are too taut to pull out and climb, though.

LastSon & UEAKCrash are climbing up the pillar.
    Utsanomiko & Elldren are climbing the spikes.
    The floor is up to 1 rev per 5 seconds.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I realized too late that I gave too much information with the 'how do you survive'; once the trap runs it's course it will indeed stop. You just need to survive until then. In an actual game though where the players don't know that or have any clue what to expect, I think the room would be more "fun".
    Utsanomiko wrote: »

UEAKCrash: It's dark in there but with a little poking you determine there is a chain in the back of each slot running the height of the column, floor to ceiling. They are too taut to pull out and climb, though.

LastSon & UEAKCrash are climbing up the pillar.
    Utsanomiko & Elldren are climbing the spikes.
    The floor is up to 1 rev per 5 seconds.

Well I am going to attempt to break the chains if possible. Perhaps a hammer and pick could do the job, if long enough.

They wouldn't happen to be moving would they? If so, wedging something in to hopefully stop them.

I presume the chains have something to do with the spinning of the room, though.

edit: also, might I add, I would probably be attatching myself to the pillar by swinging a rope around it and connecting it back to myself tightly. Enough to give myself some space to work, but still stay up.

UEAKCrash on