Options

Dungeon Traps and Gimmicks

2»

• Options
    Kaiju15Kaiju15 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    If your party are good roleplayers you could make a magic trap that causes the party to become suicidally depressed and be presented with many easily avoidable ways to end their lives.

It turns into an obstacle course that those with poor will saves will want to lose.

Kaiju15 on
    It is your duty as a filmgoer to see Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World.
  • Options
    TrustTrust Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Having never had the chance to play any PnP games, I don't know if this could work:

Stealing from the illusionary floor trick from earlier in the thread, how about a hermetically sealed room (sealed once the party enters) that radiates illusion magical energy. When the party will save against it, nothing seems to happen, apart from the energy dissipating. As they search the room, just begin describing the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Yep, the illusion of breathable air. Takes a few turns to work out why they're feeling groggy and ugh. Simple solution? Smash a window? I dunno, haven't thought that far yet.

Trust on
    We Stand Ready
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    LastSon & UEAKCrash are climbing up the pillar.
    Utsanomiko & Elldren are climbing the spikes.
    The floor is up to 1 rev per 5 seconds.

I forgot this thread :D

The floor gets up to 100 rev / second. There is a *click*, and two short blades zip down the length of the column, pulled down the slots (via the chains) with the force of the rotating floor.

Not so good for LastSon & UEAK, they are likely fingerless & falling to the floor, then bouncing out into the spikes. D:

Utsanomiko & Elldren successfully survive - congrats:) I climbed the spikes as well when this room was first proposed. There were also survivors who braced themselves in the door jamb, up off the ground and, most dramatically, some warrior who was sitting on his shield riding it around the room. I forget exactly how he did it, I want to say a piton & chain in the floor keeping him out of the spikes.

The floor eventually slows down and the survivors can move on.

I think I'm going to make a trap room somewhat inspired by this in that it has 'phases'. IE Climbing the pole is great for phase I, very bad for phase II when the blades show up, etc. So, as the trap/room progresses, the player(s) will constantly have to adjust & react to the changes.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    aww... no reflex save? :P

Nice though, it's a good way to trick too-curious-for-their-own-good rogues, like I was sort-of playing.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Perhaps if such a room rotated on all sides, with each side bearing a different trap or simply became hazardous when gravity shifts (the raised/recessed bricks on one wall become a difficult terrain floor to avoid spikes extending down from the new ceiling, for example).

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I think it's a fun puzzle but in application it's really a poorly designed encounter in the "you have one chance to do something or die" category :P

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Utsanomiko wrote: »
    Perhaps if such a room rotated on all sides, with each side bearing a different trap or simply became hazardous when gravity shifts (the raised/recessed bricks on one wall become a difficult terrain floor to avoid spikes extending down from the new ceiling, for example).

That would be fun (for the DM) :D

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Here's an idea I just had. Keep in mind that I've never actually played any pnp RPG, except for one time DMing with friends where I basically just handled story ideas, and they handled all the technical stuff.

The party enters a room with several hanged corpses suspended from the 10' ceiling, in between them and the exit to the room. The corpses are spread about somewhat evenly, but without a set pattern, except for that it's not possible to get to the other side without passing close to them. Think along the lines of hand holds on a rock climbing wall. The walls are inhospitable for climbing, either sheer, very sharp, or some other nasty quality that I'm sure you'll have no trouble coming up with.

If, at any point, one of the ropes is no longer weighted down (like, say, someone in the party cuts down a corpse), it triggers a counterweight in the ceiling which sets off a trap of some sort. This can be something incrementally dangerous (like a little bit of poison gas per rope) or something moderately dangerous on the individual scale (like some crossbow bolts from the walls). The idea is to keep them from cutting all the corpses down.

If, at any point, any player makes it to some point in the room (say, 2/5ths of the way in), a stone slab, hinged above the entrance doorway, swings down from the ceiling of the hallway just outside the door and slams to a stop when vertical, to knock anyone waiting there in the room and keep them there. Then, the entire floor starts to give way slowly. Give it about 5 seconds before the trap door (or whatever) goes into freefall. Put something unpleasant at the bottom.

Then, after about 10 seconds, a triggered spell raises all of the corpses in the room as undead nasties.

Thoughts?

Tarantio on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2008
    The setting: a 5 feet wide corridor. A small alcove in the wall has one gold coin in it. Then the corridor apparently ends, but there's a second alcove with two gold coins in it -- except that the wall at the end appears to cover half of it.

This is a hint that the wall can be moved. If just pushed a few inches, the wall moves back. If pushed five feet, there is a clanking sound as some mechanic locks the wall in place. This reveals another alcove with four coins in it.

The wall can be pushed back even more, each time revealing an alcove with twice as many coins as the last one.

The GM gets to decide after how many alcoves the spring behind the wall releases and swiftly and violently moves the wall back to its first position.

Greed kills!

(Actually, I think this one may be from a Grimtooth book.)

Echo on
  • Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Echo: I like it. See that's the sort of trap that's beneficial to the adventure. It's a fun little interactive encounter where the players can avoid being hurt through common sense and caution rather than dumb luck. Most importantly there's clear rewards for succeeding the encounter (a certain amount of gold before the greed kicks in as well as passing with all your bones intact) and a punishment for failing that, while harmful to the party (especially if they really wanted those coins) it doesn't stop them from moving the session forward.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Tarantio wrote: »
    The party enters a room with several hanged corpses suspended from the 10' ceiling >snip<

I actually really like the creepy factor of a room full of corpses hung so their toes are dragging on the ground - so as you move through em you're eye to eye. The animation thing is a bit obvious, but with a mechanical trap or none at all the room itself is scary as shit to me :o I would probably include something that strung up it's victims with the other bodies in the end.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    SUPERSUGA wrote: »
    Echo: I like it. See that's the sort of trap that's beneficial to the adventure. It's a fun little interactive encounter where the players can avoid being hurt through common sense and caution rather than dumb luck. Most importantly there's clear rewards for succeeding the encounter (a certain amount of gold before the greed kicks in as well as passing with all your bones intact) and a punishment for failing that, while harmful to the party (especially if they really wanted those coins) it doesn't stop them from moving the session forward.

I agree assuming the wall doesn't kill all the players, which it sounds like it should. How could it be fast enough to be a threat and slow enough to not be terribly lethal?

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    SUPERSUGA wrote: »

I agree assuming the wall doesn't kill all the players, which it sounds like it should. How could it be fast enough to be a threat and slow enough to not be terribly lethal?
    It'd be lame to be one-shotted by that wall. It could do some damage that might finish off an injured character, but I think it could be more interesting than that. The force of the wall pushes the victim clean through the wall directly opposite the alcove, which is a fake, very thin wall (another clue if the party notice this). On the other side of the wall the character drops into a pit with something nasty.

Of course this trap can be made reset-able if you have the wall magically rebuild itself, be an illusion or replace it with some sort of trapdoor.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Tarantio wrote: »
    The party enters a room with several hanged corpses suspended from the 10' ceiling >snip<

I actually really like the creepy factor of a room full of corpses hung so their toes are dragging on the ground - so as you move through em you're eye to eye. The animation thing is a bit obvious, but with a mechanical trap or none at all the room itself is scary as shit to me :o I would probably include something that strung up it's victims with the other bodies in the end.

If the idea needs anything, it's probably a "smart" way of dealing with it. I was thinking that the challenge would be to get to the door on the other side without falling, but I'm not really sure how feasible it is to do so.
    (That was my intention, if it wasn't clear- the floor takes a few seconds to fall in order to give the party a chance to jump and hang on to the corpses, before having to fight through them. I don't actually know how likely this is to kill the frailer party members, of course, or whether it's even mechanically possible to represent this kind of challenge in any meaningful way- rope swing check+ grapple check?) As it stands, the party just has to deal with it, without any way of mitigating or bypassing the challenge. At the least, I'd say it needs a cleverer trigger mechanism- and if anyone has a better way of turning "room full of hanged corpses" into a cool trap or challenge, don't keep it to yourself.

Tarantio on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Maybe there is a trap floor + pit, and also the dead are hanging not from normal nooses but parasitic vines that the PC's have to deal with while swinging from corpse to corpse as they cross the room. Also the corpses are all clowns.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Mimes are so much cooler then clowns. just think about it, Mime Zombies.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Kaiju15Kaiju15 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I just got my hands on that Wurst of Grimtooth book and it is seriously worth it.

Kaiju15 on
    It is your duty as a filmgoer to see Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Mimes are so much cooler then clowns. just think about it, Mime Zombies.

hahaha

I can picture it, moaning soundlessly, pointing at the PC's heads and miming a "then you open the box" motion followed by an "eat the brain" motion.

fadingathedges on