As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CoH/CoV] Chat: Issue 12 info arrives!

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You don't really need sewers in Mercy. Street sweep on your way too and from missions and your be level 8 or so in no time. At which point you could go to Fort Cerebrus and take on the larger spawns in the fort.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    People stay in Mercy past 5? On all of my toons I just plow through the first two contacts solo which usually puts me at 5 or 6. At that point it's time for Port Oakes. I really don't know why you'd stay and farm in Mercy when paper missions are much better exp, and you get your jet pack.

In some ways I actually prefer Mercy to sewer teams. You can get a bad or afk sewer team that just takes forever to get through the place, whereas mercy is a consistent hour (maybe two if you're running a stalker) run solo that gets you to the good stuff.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Staxeon wrote: »
    korodullin wrote: »
    1-10 in CoV is FAR slower than 1-10 in CoH by default anyway, mainly due to the lack of a sewer-like zone, and the fact that Mercy is fucking huge.
    And vertically challenging in way too many places. Its really not sans-travel-power friendly.
    But at least the rest of the CoV zones (Grandville being an obvious exception) are SJ friendly. You can actually leap a tall building in a single bound. With CoH you have a bunch of zones where you're bouncing around skyscrapers that are taller than the zone ceiling, completely negating the vertical component of the power.

Glal on
  • Options
    StaxeonStaxeon Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    Staxeon wrote: »
    korodullin wrote: »
    1-10 in CoV is FAR slower than 1-10 in CoH by default anyway, mainly due to the lack of a sewer-like zone, and the fact that Mercy is fucking huge.
    And vertically challenging in way too many places. Its really not sans-travel-power friendly.
    But at least the rest of the CoV zones (Grandville being an obvious exception) are SJ friendly. You can actually leap a tall building in a single bound. With CoH you have a bunch of zones where you're bouncing around skyscrapers that are taller than the zone ceiling, completely negating the vertical component of the power.

Oh I'd totally give you that point. Travel in general is much better in CoV vs CoH. I spent so much time pre-villains just flying from contacts to missions in different zones and back etc etc etc. It was extremely tedious, not only in the map layouts, but it seemed like they intentionally made things distant to get to. Zones that could only be accessed via other zones (Founder Falls is a perfect example).

Staxeon on
    Invisible nap is the best nap of all time!
    No man should have that kind of power.
    (Twitter)
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Okay, hold on now. Running around in WoW is only efficient IF you've played the game before AND remember all the quests. (Or at least that's how it is on Horde-side.) I cannot tell you how many times in WoW I had ran 5 minutes out to Godknowswhere dodging Godknowswhat trying to kill me for Godknowswhy, did my questing, ran back, and found a quest giver that told me to go back to Godknowswhere. I smartened up real quick, but that's because I had like 5 60s. I ran into all sorts of trouble messing around on Alliance for a bit, missing quest givers or doing quests out of order or running all around a goddamned zone because I didn't know where I was supposed to go, while Murlocs chased me hither and yon.

A lot of my WoW friends were unable to manage their quest logs as efficiently as I was, and we'd be halfway through some instance and they'd be like, oh, there's a quest for that guy, well shit, where do I get it? And I'd be like, well first, you have to go to the Crossroads and do some turtle killing quests and then the Tauren will send you down to another Tauren in a cave along the side of Thousand Needles, and then after you do 4 quests for her, she'll send you to an Undead in the Magic Quarter of Undercity, and he'll tell you to go to Razorfen Kraul back in the Barrens to get him some Bat Guano and when you give it to him, he'll send you to the Scarlet Monastery so you can get this reward.

Admittedly, they've improved things a lot. Lowering the exp requirements from 1 to 60, adding more zones and quests in (Revantusk, Dustwallow, etc,) so that you're not left questless and forced to grind it out halfway through your 30s because you didn't get every single quest. And the Blood Elf starting area was fantastic about putting quests together in logical places - "Wow, is this what it's like to play Alliance?" But my GOD, I did that f-ing run between Orgrimmar and Thunder Bluff three f-ing times before I just gave up and started bumming portals.

hippofant on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I don't know, quest managing is pretty much the same in all EQ clones. You learn it in one, you've learned it for all. Plus, it's not like CoH takes you by the hand either; do they actually tell you about trams at any point? What about how to get Safeguard missions for temp travel powers post 5? How to change your mission difficulty? How the enhancements work, training/dual/single, the fact that your origin dictates their type, and that their effectiveness drops as you level and you need to replace them every 5?
    My original reaction to people telling me about enhancements and DOs was o_O.

Glal on
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I don't know, quest managing is pretty much the same in all EQ clones. You learn it in one, you've learned it for all. Plus, it's not like CoH takes you by the hand either; do they actually tell you about trams at any point? What about how to get Safeguard missions for temp travel powers post 5? How to change your mission difficulty? How the enhancements work, training/dual/single, the fact that your origin dictates their type, and that their effectiveness drops as you level and you need to replace them every 5?
    My original reaction to people telling me about enhancements and DOs was o_O.

Well, most of those things are indeed explained in-game, and in the Help menu. At least two sources of info about them for pretty much everything you listed. The temp travel powers might not be explained, other than in their descriptions when you receive them, but doing safeguards for rewards is. And I'm not certain they actually say you can use the trains to travel between zones... but do they need to? Really?

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    In-game how? I never noticed my contacts mentioning them (and you really shouldn't have to use the help at any point in games post 2000. Seriously), but I may just not have noticed.

Well, the problem with the trams is that they're a tiny icon in a clutter of icons, called "YELLOW/GREEN LINE". If I'm told to go to <Zone Name> my first instinct won't exactly be to seek that out, especially not in the middle of the map. I'd imagine new players are more likely to use zone exits until they even notice the things.

Glal on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm trying to think of the last time I saw a newbie not know how to work the trams and it's not coming to me. At most people might not know which zone is on which lines.

Scooter on
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Scooter wrote: »
    I'm trying to think of the last time I saw a newbie not know how to work the trams and it's not coming to me. At most people might not know which zone is on which lines.

It took me a few hours to work it out, I seem to remember.

Crimson King on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Didn't original CoH boxes come with a map of the zones and tram lines? I had someone tell me to just check my (hardcopy)map if I wasn't sure and it made me go o_O.

Glal on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The trams were in the manual.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Alas, online copies don't come with one. Although reading power descriptions in a friend's last winter did provide a few chuckles (the sad kind, where you realize you know too much about something really immaterial).

Glal on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I love reading manuals - when I was a kid and played D&D a lot my friends used to use me as a walking DMG. I don't know why, since I'm often an RPer, on and off line.

It's weird reading the old manuals of MMOs - so much has changed.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    narv107narv107 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

I got GvE online a few weeks ago. I don't even know what these trams you speak of are. Does... does that make me a bad person?

narv107 on
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    In-game how?

IIRC the training Arbiters have options to explain a great deal of stuff. The in-game help menu is okay for the basics, but it's severely lacking in some areas and outdated in others.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I'm pretty sure there's a pdf manual online, even if it is out of date.

I mean, let's face it, any game and especially an MMO is going to have more info than can be explained entirely in-game without rtfm, looking at the help info or asking someone.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    narv107 wrote: »

I got GvE online a few weeks ago. I don't even know what these trams you speak of are. Does... does that make me a bad person?

If you've only been playing CoV, it's what CoH uses instead of ferries.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Played Hero side any? They only exist there.

[edit] Good Christ, postsplosion

Glal on
  • Options
    narv107narv107 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I have maybe two heroes. I really only play at work and mostly just send MM pets and alt tab then find another group of enemies and rinse and repeat.

There aren't any hero classes that I can really play without an autoattack, which CoH doesn't have.

narv107 on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You can ctrl-click one of your powers to auto use every time it's up (It will get a green outline to let you know); that's about as close as there is an auto-attack in CoX

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited April 2008
    In-game how?

IIRC the training Arbiters have options to explain a great deal of stuff. The in-game help menu is okay for the basics, but it's severely lacking in some areas and outdated in others.

Probably a double-post, but anyway; Unless they removed the tutorial zones, which I'm pretty sure they didn't, virtually everything being discussed here, aside from the tram, is explained there. Including enchancements and their expiration.

And seriously, you need a tram tutorial? You've got to be kidding. Every MMO has it's travel system, and the tram system isn't any more confusing than the flight system in WoW. Hell, less so, because you don't have to actually find the stations, they're on your map. And saying "well, yellow line/green line is confusing". Is it too terribly confusing that Kalimdor and the EK don't connect with a flightpath, you have to take a boat/zep? Do they need to put in a tutorial in WoW for that?

No, it's pretty self explanatory. As is zoning. Jeez.

Also, I use WoW as a comparison because, even if you don't play WoW, most people at this point, have at least tried it, I think, if you're into MMO's.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Since dumb questions are popping up....

Is there some way to change the angle you fly at? I looked through the keybindings and didn't a way control the pitch for the character.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm pretty sure some of the early hero quests, the ones no one does anymore because of sewer teams, tell you to take the tram. I could be wrong but I seem to recall being told to take the tram to Galaxy City.

Flight: Hold Right click and pull the mouse up or down.

Accualt on
  • Options
    CitrusCitrus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Has anyone read this article yet, Player driven content oh shi-, among other things.
    one of the things I can talk about is a feature that we are planning. Similar in concept to our character creator, it allows you, the players, to create missions and story arcs for your characters and others to participate in. You’ll be able to pick the map, villain group, and objectives, as well as write the dialog and any clues needed for the missions. When you are satisfied with it, you can upload it and have other players across all servers play it and rate it.

Citrus on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    He probably would have been better off not even mentioning that.

That's an awfully big undertaking to promise is coming.

Like, a entire new game system.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Other MMO's have said they'd implement player driven missions, but they either abandon the idea or it is just crappy.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited April 2008
    HOLY SHIT

There shall be epic wang quests when I get a hold of this feature.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I don't know... They don't generally mention stuff that specifically unless it's a pretty sure thing, or already in the works. We may not see it for a while, but man, the RP uses alone boggle my mind.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    It'd be pretty easy for CoX' mission system. Drop down menus to pick a map, pick a villain group, text boxes for patrol text, text box for boss text, and boom.

It'd basically be about who can make the NPCs say the funniest things, unless they let you do stuff like fill it with AVs. Which would be awesome, also, farmable.

Also, who the fuck is buying alien tech salvage?

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Perhaps secret farmer influence transfer method? That surprised me too.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Are you a bad enough dude to save the wang?, etc etc

Bigity on
  • Options
    TalonZahnTalonZahn Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I used to play CoH many moons ago when it came out. I was recently thinking about reinstalling and getting back on. Would my toons from then still be around or would I have to re-roll? Also, how does the "Invite a Friend Back" thing work? Free Trial, anything out there to leach for 7-10 days?

Would it just be easier to go buy the CoX deal and get the free month? I'm not 100% commited to it yet. I'm jonesing for an MMO to kill time and I like CoH. I've got to do something with my free time.

TalonZahn on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    There are some reactivation deals out there that are nice. If you don't have CoV but want it, the GvE pack is probably your best bet. Your characters should all still be around.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    TalonZahn wrote: »
    I used to play CoH many moons ago when it came out. I was recently thinking about reinstalling and getting back on. Would my toons from then still be around or would I have to re-roll? Also, how does the "Invite a Friend Back" thing work? Free Trial, anything out there to leach for 7-10 days?

Would it just be easier to go buy the CoX deal and get the free month? I'm not 100% commited to it yet. I'm jonesing for an MMO to kill time and I like CoH. I've got to do something with my free time.

We can invite people back if they've been gone 90+ days, and when they resub they get 45 days instead of 30. PM me your email if you want a code, your chars will still be there.

Scooter on
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oh. My. God.

I've been clamoring for higher difficulty settings and whatnot, but this sounds even better. I envision an outdoor map, like the one with Shadow Hunter, with CoT demons as far as the eye can see.

<3

Hopefully they let us adjust spawn sizes manually, though. I'm sick to fucking death of running a solo mission with my brute on whatever it is that's the villain equivalent of unyielding and getting spawns of 2 mobs, 3 if it's council. What a joke.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    TalonZahnTalonZahn Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    We can invite people back if they've been gone 90+ days, and when they resub they get 45 days instead of 30. PM me your email if you want a code, your chars will still be there.

Very cool. I'll have to reinstall when I get home. What server/servers and side/s on said server/s do most play on?

I want to say I was on Virtue, but my memory of that is shakey.

PM, incoming.

Thanks!

TalonZahn on
  • Options
    ArcasArcas Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Most wealthy ATs are brutes and scrappers. I have multiples of both and im poor on all of them D:

Arcas on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    We play on Virtue, lots of cross between heroes and villains. With global chat is is super easy to get into a team.

As for this whole making our own missions thing I demand cut scene editing abilities. Demand them!

Accualt on
  • Options
    CitrusCitrus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I wonder how they plan to stop people from making farm missions? Maybe they set it up with a point system like base decorating, a certain number of points = certain number of mobs and mob types maybe. Well this sounds awesome no matter what. The new NC group handling Coh/v is turning out to be an awesome group of people.

Citrus on
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Citrus wrote: »
    I wonder how they plan to stop people from making farm missions? Maybe they set it up with a point system like base decorating, a certain number of points = certain number of mobs and mob types maybe. Well this sounds awesome no matter what. The new NC group handling Coh/v is turning out to be an awesome group of people.
    What makes you think they want to stop people from making farm missions?

s3rial one on
This discussion has been closed.