As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[CoH/CoV] Chat: Issue 12 info arrives!

• NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    s3rial one wrote: »
    So, is there some other way to get the Efficiency Expert badge after you fail one of Pither's missions?

I had a Council guy that I think was stuck in the wall for the second part of the Wipe out the Council base mission. All I could see was a leg, and I couldn't target it, but it was moving. Explored every inch of that place, killed everything I saw, got both bosses, planted the bomb, and then couldn't complete it in time.

I petitioned, but of course, no one actually responded. I'm sure they sent me an automated email or some bullshit like that.

So, I'd still like to get the badge, if it's possible. Is there another way?

Currently, no. Not unless the GMs reset that mission.

Pither works in a weird way. He has an actual, untimed, 3 mission arc, as well as the timed missions. You have to successfully complete the timed missions to get the badge. The arc is just flavor. And while you CAN redo the arc via ouro, you cannot redo the timed missions, due to a limitation of the flashback system. Unless the mission is directly tied to a badge or a souvenir, there's no way to "track it," so it would never star out on the Pillar of Fire and Ice. This is why those one-shot missions that are just interesting(ish) don't show up on the Pillar. And since Pither's missions aren't directly tied to a badge (you have to do ALL of them, not just one) they aren't on the Pillar.

One of the devs did say something along the lines of "Well, if you folks are ok with having missions you can never star out, we'll put them on there!" so maybe someday. Soon. Unless the "not being trackable" thing bites them in the ass.

edit: Oh and also his timed missions aren't in an arc of their own. I got one timed mission, then his actual arc, then the rest of the timed missions on one of my guys, so that's the other reason they're not on the Pillar. And no, you can't tag along with someone else do redo that mission. His missions give credit only to the holder of the mission. Again, an odd contact. And by odd, you can read "needlessly frustrating."

Narbus on
  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Narbus wrote: »
    Blahblah Pither Stuff blah

God, that gives me horrible flashbacks to my work terms. ...4 years ago, somebody who no longer works here hacked together a clever solution to a tiny problem. Then that solution spread through the system, and now that we're trying to implement a sweeping overhaul, that bastard is killing us, killing us, killing us...

This game hurts me so bad as a programmer. It burrrrrns.

hippofant on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    Yeah, I like the thematics of fly and the fact that I can hit auto-run with it. Also maxing out speed on a Hover melee character is pure fun.

I hope Champions gives more freedom in how much you can improve travel powers. I want super speed flight, dang it. Just make me pay for it.

Also Iron Man is the best comic book movie ever. ...especially with Gear Girl as Pepper Pots.

How fast can you get a hover melee character anyway. Let's assume I miraculously max the hover speed. How much of a wake am I leaving? Am I at least as fast as a normal unslotted sprint?

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The fastest I've seen (without 3rd party help) was about the speed of an unslotted Fly at level 15.

Glal on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yes, faster than Sprint is easy.

Accualt on
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, I like the thematics of fly and the fact that I can hit auto-run with it. Also maxing out speed on a Hover melee character is pure fun.

I hope Champions gives more freedom in how much you can improve travel powers. I want super speed flight, dang it. Just make me pay for it.

Also Iron Man is the best comic book movie ever. ...especially with Gear Girl as Pepper Pots.

How fast can you get a hover melee character anyway. Let's assume I miraculously max the hover speed. How much of a wake am I leaving? Am I at least as fast as a normal unslotted sprint?

my defender has swift + hover slotted for fly speed and hovers faster than he sprints.

INeedNoSalt on
  • aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

my defender has swift + hover slotted for fly speed and hovers faster than he sprints.

Don't slot Swift. Seriously. Six-slot Hover if you must, but forget about Swift. You'll literally get more of an increase six-slotting Hover than triple-slotting it and Swift, even when taking ED into account.

aunsoph on
  • PbPb Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    aunsoph wrote: »

Don't slot Swift. Seriously. Six-slot Hover if you must, but forget about Swift. You'll literally get more of an increase six-slotting Hover than triple-slotting it and Swift, even when taking ED into account.

Bad advice, there's like a .4% difference between Swift and slots 4-6 on Hover, with the exception that Swift works on Fly as well.

Pb on
  • HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Pb wrote: »
    aunsoph wrote: »

Bad advice, there's like a .4% difference between Swift and slots 4-6 on Hover, with the exception that Swift works on Fly as well.

Duck's right about Swift being a more useful placing of the slots, Aunsoph is right about the slightly higher benefit of 6-slotting. If you must do this, I'd go with slotting Swift to save slots and share the benefit between Hover and Fly.

However, the best answer is that neither is a very good idea unless you are obsessed with Hover or Fly speed and/or have slots to burn. For Hover, either you spend 3 extra slots for around 13% increase in speed, or spend 2 slots in Swift and get around 9%. With Fly, both methods are even less effective percentage-wise but have the same relative effect. (Numbers according to Mid's.) That's a small benefit and for most builds slots are precious.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    For my build, I had powers and slots to spare. I just like flying around all the time.

INeedNoSalt on
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Reinstalling CoH/V right now, gonna reactivate sometime in the near future. what kind of special offers do they have going for coming back and/or inviting people back right now?

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
    edited May 2008
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Reinstalling CoH/V right now, gonna reactivate sometime in the near future. what kind of special offers do they have going for coming back and/or inviting people back right now?

If you've been inactive at least 90 days, you can get a "invite a friend back" code that will give you an extra 15 days (45 instead of 30) and also get the referrer 15 days free.

PM me your e-mail if you can use one. ;-)

HarshLanguage on
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So I'm looking at making a Dual Blades brute, how do the combination attacks work?

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    God dammit Harsh, let some of us get some codes out once in a while. :|

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    edited May 2008
    korodullin wrote: »
    God dammit Harsh, let some of us get some codes out once in a while. :|

Sadly my code-fu is weak compared to many others'. I've only sent 3 in the last... 8 months? You really must have me confused with someone else, Sieve. <Eyes Gear's referral success with envy>

HarshLanguage on
    > turn on light

• WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited May 2008
    so what's a good place for, like, powerset guides and stuff

that isn't just the official forum

cause yeah I need to know what is and isn't good anymore

and what's changed in my year-and-a-half absence, powerwise and stuff

yes

Whippy on
  • RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Outside of our build thread here and the channel ingame, the official forums is really the best place to go. I suppose you could check out paragonwiki and city of data for general and more specific numbers/information, but it sounds like you want more opinionated info eg: this power vs this power and such.

The CoX oboards really aren't bad at all for build advice compared to most MMO official forums.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    so what's a good place for, like, powerset guides and stuff

that isn't just the official forum

cause yeah I need to know what is and isn't good anymore

and what's changed in my year-and-a-half absence, powerwise and stuff

yes

Here's a quick rundown.

Blasters: Energy blast still sucks balls, and still is inexplicably popular. Electric blast is awful and the Voltaic Sentinel changes have done nothing to fix it. Archery got an animation fix and is quite good, now. AR, Fire, and Ice are the same as always. The upcoming Mental Manipulation looks good; blasters are likely getting a 3rd good secondary.

Tankers: Willpower is Invulnerability 2.0, and Invuln is now a bench warmer. EM and FM still allow tankers to inch into scrapper damage territory, as does SS with stacked Rage, assuming you don't mind the crash, which no longer has an only affecting self debuff.

Defenders: Losing the race with stalkers to see who's the shittiest AT in the game. Cold Domination and Ice Blast will not change this.

Controllers: Still eating defenders' lunch and offering control to boot. Getting Plant Control.

Scrappers: Willpower rules here, too. MA's still the worst of the primaries, but still okay. Spines is an AoE monster as always, and the forthcoming Fire set is the brute version; Cremate instead of Combustion.

Brutes: Willpower's popular here, too. Good armor, but somewhat prone to late-game debuffs (namely endurance drain and slow). SS, EM, and SM are the "big 3." SS is built for Rage and Footstomp spam, and does great AoE damage. EM has almost no AoE to speak of, but does absolutely disgusting amounts of single target damage. SM is somewhere in between, with Fault and Tremor spam providing more damage mitigation than some armor sets. Elec Melee sucks, and Chain Induction is still broken (doesn't benefit from Fury, costs too much end, can hit/kill teammates). EA is absolutely gimpy, and easily one of the worst sets in the entire game. Brutes are getting Axe, Mace - both of which have seen improvements lately, and Super Reflexes, which is basically what Energy Aura wants to be.

Corrupters: Still doing what defenders do, but better. Or rather: defenders done right.

Stalkers: I get to kill you for every stalker you make.

Masterminds: Still very powerful, still obnoxious en masse. Thugs are one of the better sets, but most people don't upgrade the Bruiser fully because he gets Handclap. And seriously, fuck Handclap. Getting Storm Summoning, promising to make them even more powerful and/or obnoxious.

Dominators: Fire/Psy is the farming king red side, followed by a variety of brutes and other /Psy Dominators. Why Psy? Because Psychic Shockwave is utterly broken and overpowered, but almost has to be to make up for the rest of the set (ignoring Drain Psyche) being so bad. Perma-dom is what most aim for these days, and it's quite attainable, if somewhat expensive. Getting Earth control, a set that makes extensive use of psuedo pets that apparently don't benefit from Domination.
    • Oil Slick Arrow still bugs out pets when it's ignited.
    • Dark Blast has still not received even a shred of the attention it has so sorely needed for more than 4 years, now.
    • The official forum moderators can't be arsed to update the guide posts, and many of them are several issues out of date, now.
    • Jack Frost and Poo Man had their AI "fixed" so that they actually close into melee, now.
    • ...but now they get into melee and don't cycle their attacks properly, leaving them with about the same terrible DPS as always.
    • The recent experience changes have made several of the levels that used to drag on forever quite a bit more tolerable.

There, opinionated enough? :P

(seriously, if you have specific questions, ask in the build thread, and you'll likely get many good responses)

s3rial one on
    edited May 2008
    I am hearing some really troubling rumors all around about Willpower nerfs in i12. As in, halving the regen in RttC. I hope to god this is false or will be reverted, because we really don't need another shitty benchwarmer defensive set like invuln.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Defenders:Losing the race with stalkers to see who's the shittiest AT in the game. Cold Domination and Ice Blast will not change this.

Controllers: Still eating defenders' lunch and offering control to boot. Getting Plant Control.

What?

Who needs control when you have enough stackable buff/debuff to both neuter just about any threat in the game and then destroy it in seconds?

There comes a point where adding more control, like adding more aggro management, to a CoH team becomes pretty much meaningless. That's not true of the two things Defenders bring to a team, buff/debuff and damage output.

Stalkers are a sucktacular AT though, at least in PvE.

Lawndart on
    edited May 2008
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Defenders:Losing the race with stalkers to see who's the shittiest AT in the game. Cold Domination and Ice Blast will not change this.

What?

Who needs control when you have enough stackable buff/debuff to both neuter just about any threat in the game and then destroy it in seconds?
    Yeah, why bother completely stopping mobs from fighting back and moving when you can debuff them so that they don't fight back as well?

I mean, it's not like controllers can do both. Oh, wait...

:rotate:

But, apparently we're not supposed to talk about things like, you know City of Heroes here. So if you want to debate the issue, I'd be happy to continue in the build thread.

s3rial one on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Like debating which turd tastes worse.

Glal on
  • EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You know.. I really want more robotic costume options :\

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
    edited May 2008
    EWom wrote: »
    You know.. I really want more robotic costume options :\
    Agreed, but only because all my favorite character concepts are tech origin.

Also I demand steampunk boots! I seem to remember them being in way back when I first subscribed (what was that... i4? Whenever Sonic and Archery was introduced) but they are inexplicably absent now.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    edited May 2008
    I use Piston Boots with my steampunk outfit, but I'm also SJ so it works out that way too.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
    edited May 2008
    so electric melee sucks? and willpower is getting nerfed?

well, god damnit. I just made an elec/wp brute but now that I look into it everywhere ever is telling me this is, like, the worst possible combination.

Whippy on
    edited May 2008
    The willpower thing is completely rumors at this point, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was true. We'll know tomorrow when beta goes open.

Elec/ isn't unplayablehorrible, it's just a little anemic compared to other brute sets. Honestly, with brutes, if you pick any primary and any secondary you will do okay. Not amazing, but you will survive.

And if it makes you feel better, I just rolled a Kat/WP Scrapper who may soon end up deleted... Sucks, too, because now there's not much out there that's good for less glowy/elemental concepts.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    edited May 2008
    so electric melee sucks? and willpower is getting nerfed?

well, god damnit. I just made an elec/wp brute but now that I look into it everywhere ever is telling me this is, like, the worst possible combination.

I think DB/EA would be the worst possible brute, so at least you haven't sunk that low. :P

Elec Melee really isn't horrible, it's just not that good. It has minimal mitigation, and although it has four (!) AoE abilities, one is a tiny little Shadow Maul-sized cone that only hits multiple targets when you take the time to line it up (e.g. lose Fury) or get lucky. Thunderstrike does fairly minor AoE damage, and it's got a small radius. Chain Induction is broken way beyond any semblance of use. And Lightning Rod is, well, awesome but the recharge time on it is a joke.

s3rial one on
    edited May 2008
    Scrappers: Willpower rules here, too. MA's still the worst of the primaries, but still okay. Spines is an AoE monster as always, and the forthcoming Fire set is the brute version; Cremate instead of Combustion.
    What? Everything I've seen and heard says that Fire Melee for Scrappers is specifically using the Tanker powers, and not the Brute ones. I don't doubt it may have changed, but still.
    Brutes: Brutes are getting Axe, Mace - both of which have seen improvements lately, and Super Reflexes, which is basically what Energy Aura wants to be.
    From what I've been told, Mace for Brutes is fucking nuts. I mean, really, really powerful.

And at this point, speaking as the only pro-Stalker person on these forums, and one of the precious few in the game period...

If you think of rolling a Stalker, just power any other villain to 50 and make a Bane Spider instead.
    Riale wrote: »
    I am hearing some really troubling rumors all around about Willpower nerfs in i12. As in, halving the regen in RttC. I hope to god this is false or will be reverted, because we really don't need another shitty benchwarmer defensive set like invuln.
    So far WP is untouched.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Capncrunch7Capncrunch7 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I just started playing my Energy Melee / Electric Armor brute again recently, and I can't even begin to count how many other EM/ELA's I've come across.

Is that suddenly a popular choice? Mine is pretty fragile without Power Surge on, and uses 6slotted Aid Self as a crutch. Perhaps I am doing it wrong.

Also, what the hell is SM? Shadow Melee?

Capncrunch7 on
    XBLA: gogogadgetchris
  • CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Stone

CyberJackal on
    edited May 2008

What? Everything I've seen and heard says that Fire Melee for Scrappers is specifically using the Tanker powers, and not the Brute ones.
    Everything you've read is on crack. It's a mix of the two sets with its own levels for certain powers. Gets breath of fire and fire sword circle for AoEs. It looks to be a not-bad set, and I personally think cremate fits the scrapper's job of destroying bosses better than combustion.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    edited May 2008
    What? Everything I've seen and heard says that Fire Melee for Scrappers is specifically using the Tanker powers, and not the Brute ones. I don't doubt it may have changed, but still.
    Brutes: Brutes are getting Axe, Mace - both of which have seen improvements lately, and Super Reflexes, which is basically what Energy Aura wants to be.
    From what I've been told, Mace for Brutes is fucking nuts. I mean, really, really powerful.

And at this point, speaking as the only pro-Stalker person on these forums, and one of the precious few in the game period...

If you think of rolling a Stalker, just power any other villain to 50 and make a Bane Spider instead.
    And what is "everything" you've read?

The day I12 went up for test, there were screenshots of all the new powers floating around, from the character creator. Scrappers had the brute version. It's old news on the official scrapper forum.

Sure, it's a closed beta and it could change, I guess. But as far as anyone knows, it's the brute version.

EDIT: Well, I guess not exactly the brute version. The powers are moved around a bit, but it's the same set of powers.

s3rial one on
    edited May 2008
    My memory must be flawed then. Oh well.

I've actually mulled over rerolling Sieve as Broadsword/Fire Armor, rather than BS/Invuln, but man... He's got badges you can never, ever get again. I'm no badge whore, but I'd hate the idea of losing that.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    edited May 2008
    I would kill you in the face if you just cold-ice deleted him

Whippy on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    But, apparently we're not supposed to talk about things like, you know City of Heroes here. So if you want to debate the issue, I'd be happy to continue in the build thread.

This kind of stuff is fine.
    Its when two-three people go into hardcore number crunching giant walls of text arguments that the discussion about the minutest aspects of certain power's performance that it should be taken to the build thread. I think you can understand why, as this is more of a CoX chat thread and huge specifics like that do not interest very many of the readers.

Accualt on
    edited May 2008
    I would kill you in the face if you just cold-ice deleted him

I probably would too. I just pretty much hate the idea of him going unplayed, but it's so bad. I fiddle with his costumes about once an issue, and that's about it.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    edited May 2008
    /Invuln is really that bad? I've been toying with the idea of an /invuln lately, as a few people on the scrapper forums have been talking them up pretty nicely. :\

EWom on
  • Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Well it can certainly solo basically everything from my experience. Also according to s3 I also had the worst primary but I don't know about that stuff.

Gear Girl on
This discussion has been closed.