As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Shuttle Will Not Post

YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called ZIn the complex planeRegistered User regular
I recently bough and assembled a computer with the following parts:

* EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail (N82E16814130072)

* Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E6600 - Retail (N82E16819115003)

* Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT12864AA804 - Retail (N82E16820146565)

* Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM (N82E16822136012)

* SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S203B - OEM (N82E16827151153)

* Shuttle SX38P2-Pro Intel Socket T(LGA775) Intel Core 2 Extreme / Quad / Core 2 Duo Intel X38 Barebones

After assembling it, it will not POST and does not give a beep error code. I then stripped out all the parts except the CPU and a single stick of RAM. Same result. Trying alternate sticks of RAM also produces no POST and no beep. I also cleared the CMOS using the button on the back of the machine, but that did not help. Does anyone have any idea what to do?

YamiNoSenshi on

• Options
    ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    do any Fans spin up?

CPU fan connected to the right header?

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The whole system is getting power. The CPU and case fans spin, and if the CD drive is connected, I can eject the tray. The fan on the GPU also spins up.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    DaveheadDavehead Sitting at my computerRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Eons ago I had this happen to the first computer I ever built. It ended up being a problem with the RAM - I wasn't seating it properly. But since you've tried other RAM and had the same problem, unless you didn't get it all the way in there on two separate occasions you've probably got a different problem.

Davehead on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It would have to be like 10 different times, since I futzed with the damn thing for about 2 hours straight. I'm going to try a different CPU, since my friend is doing some computer work and will have one spare for a little bit.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Are you sure you have both the 24 pin and 4 pin power connectors in securely? if you only have the 24 pin its still possible for the machine to get enough power to spin everything up but not actually do anything. The other thing that immediately comes to mind is the motherboard shorting on something, that causes exactly the behavior your describing. Make sure its not touching any part of the case.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    The motherboard came pre-screwed in, so it really can't be touching part of the case unless they messed it up at the factory. I'm pretty sure both power plugs are in, but I'll check when I take another crack at it in a bit.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Well, reseating the CPU made it work somehow. For how long, I have no idea.

YamiNoSenshi on