As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

To iPod or not to iPod

• Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    Kreutz wrote: »
    I'd like a way to disable cover flow. I walk around most of the day with the iTouch in my pocket, and every time I take it out to change tracks, I invariably have to tilt it until cover flow goes away. Don't even get me started on having to unlock it every time I want to change the volume.

You can't double-click the home button to pull up ipod controls?

Actually, I missed that feature. Thanks for pointing that out.

Kreutz on
  • Options
    HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Crashtard wrote: »
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    Well MediaMonkey alpha supports iPod touch, so a 32GB one is on its way. First I'll get my music up and running then I'll figure out what else the little bugger can do.

It can do everything.

Seriously, though, I'm surprised at all of the things this thin little sumbitch can do. I just found out yesterday that I can search for types of locations in the map app, and get directions and phone numbers. Turns out there are no coffee shops within 30 miles of my house, but it's a cool thing to have nonetheless. The only thing I wish it had was a word processing app besides the notes app. Well, that and a cell phone, but fuck AT&T.

Woah, Woah, Woah. The touch has wireless internet and whatnot on it? Fuck me. I thought it was just an ipod with a few apps on it. It's basically an iphone without the phone part? Damnit all to hell. I JUST (4 days ago) bought an 80GB 5.5. I suppose it wouldn't really work in my area anyway since there is little to no wireless internet hotspots.

samething sorta happend to me, just before chirstmas i picked up a 160 (over here the 80 was only like, 40 dollars cheaper -_-) because i wanted movies and tv shows on it, so i didn't think the 16gb of the itouch would be enough, then low-and-behold couple months later 32gb itouch... i sort of sat and stared at the screen for a full minute when i saw it... =/

Heroth on
    1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm really quite enjoying my ipod nano and it's a lot more durable than I imagined it would be.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ok, I had to say no to the previous opportunity :/
    Thanks for the info, Lewisham.
    If my Thomson turns out to be beyond any hope of repair, I'm buying an iPod touch. Probably a 32GB one, though I'll have to blow all my money on it :/

Mayday on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    So what are people using to convert their video files to play on the Touch? I'm sure as hell not shelling out for QT, and the converter I've been using doesn't work with files over an hour long (it shits the bed, to put it eloquently).

Kreutz on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So what are people using to convert their video files to play on the Touch? I'm sure as hell not shelling out for QT, and the converter I've been using doesn't work with files over an hour long (it shits the bed, to put it eloquently).
    Mac or PC?

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    On my Mac, I use iSquint. Supposedly VirtualDub is eons better (as they tell you every fucking time a batch finishes in iSquint) but I'm not shelling out for a pretty version of ffmpeg, sorry.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Mac or PC?

PC.

Kreutz on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Mac or PC?

PC.
    Videora iPod Converter. End o' story. :)

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    How about one for Mac, anyone? iSquint is a bit limiting.

Satan. on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    QuickTime Pro?

ben0207 on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    ben0207 wrote: »
    QuickTime Pro?
    How about one that's not slow and expensive? :P

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    How can I phrase this nicely... The price has never bothered me.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    QuickTime handles my MKV 720p files like absolute shit (unless inside of Front Row, for some fucked reason) so I'm reluctant to use it.

Satan. on
  • Options
    TorgoTorgo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Satan. wrote: »
    QuickTime handles my MKV 720p files like absolute shit (unless inside of Front Row, for some fucked reason) so I'm reluctant to use it.

Avidemux? It's cross platform and encodes things. It's also free. You seem like a person with very specific tastes, so your mileage may very, but this works well for my Cowon D2's encoding needs.

Torgo on
    History is a spoiler for the future. (Me on Twitter)
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Torgo wrote: »

Avidemux? It's cross platform and encodes things. It's also free. You seem like a person with very specific tastes, so your mileage may very, but this works well for my Cowon D2's encoding needs.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot tomorrow!

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Are you wanting to take a cheap-shot ben? Wanting to tell me to STFU if I don't wanna afford Quicktime Pro? I don't understand what you would have struggled to phrase nicely.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Are you wanting to take a cheap-shot ben? Wanting to tell me to STFU if I don't wanna afford Quicktime Pro? I don't understand what you would have struggled to phrase nicely.
    Fuck no. I get work to pay for my software.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Fuck no. I get work to pay for my software.
    Ah... now I understand. And feel silly for getting all "Sacre bleu! I'm being challenged!" Or something... ;-)

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Hey dudes.
    I bought an iPod Touch 32 GB. It's slightly used though (3weeks) so could you tell me what should I check upon receiving to make sure that everything's alright with it?
    Also, is there anything besides some kind of a password that I need to know?

Also Also: that iPod has the 1.1.4 update- will I get to keep it if I "restore" (format) the iPod?

Also Also Also: I like my music on my portable media device to be organized as follows: Artists (alphabetically)-> Albums (chronologically)-> songs
    Is it possible to easily sort them this way in iTunes or on the pod itself?

Mayday on
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I've never understood why Quicktime Pro isn't just bundled with Macs. I mean they bundle iLife with it. It's just irritating. Then again you don't even get remotes anymore with the laptops...

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Mayday wrote: »
    Hey dudes.
    I bought an iPod Touch 32 GB. It's slightly used though (3weeks) so could you tell me what should I check upon receiving to make sure that everything's alright with it?
    Also, is there anything besides some kind of a password that I need to know?

Also Also: that iPod has the 1.1.4 update- will I get to keep it if I "restore" (format) the iPod?

Also Also Also: I like my music on my portable media device to be organized as follows: Artists (alphabetically)-> Albums (chronologically)-> songs
    Is it possible to easily sort them this way in iTunes or on the pod itself?
    First: Just do a restore on it. If it seems to be in working order then (Safari works, music plays etc.) then you're golden. Nothing else I can think of to 'check' if it's OK like a diagnostic or whatever. There shouldn't be a password unless the previous owner set a screen lock. If so, get in touch with them for it. An update is an update is an update -- you can't "lose" an update just because it's on a different computer now. If you're worried about the $20 apps, remember that all 32GB iPod touches shipped with them automatically.

Second: Your album short is probably going to go away. I had a similar anal-retentive sort order when I switched last year. I quickly got used to 'Album by Artist'. You might want to try sorting by this (click on the 'Album by Artist' heading) and then sorting by Year (by doing the same thing -- clicking on the 'Year' heading). That might do what you want. That should make it so albums are ordered first by artist, then sorted into albums and then year should override the alphabetical default of 'Album by Artist'.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    corcorigan wrote: »
    I've never understood why Quicktime Pro isn't just bundled with Macs. I mean they bundle iLife with it. It's just irritating. Then again you don't even get remotes anymore with the laptops...
    Honestly, most people I know with Mac laptops have no idea what Front Row even is, let alone what that dinky little remote was for. These are your typical college students, your business users ... average users, which we know are disproportionate to most of the more advanced here. These guys aren't going to go home, set the laptop on their desk and grab a seat on the couch to watch Ratatouille with the kids. Now if you're more of a power user and hook up your laptop to an external monitor at home, more power to you -- but you're in the minority. Apple wouldn't just yank the Apple Remote from laptops arbitrarily if they thought the vast majority of users would miss it.

You can't accuse Apple of leaving stuff out for cost, at any rate. They included the Apple Remote for a long time. The Air ships with both micro-DVI to VGA and micro-DVI to DVI adapters. The DVI adapter is taking up space in a drawer and the VGA is in my bag for the two times a year I might have a use for it.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Thanks for the help, oh Dark Prince!

Mayday on
  • Options
    Sacred CowSacred Cow Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Not like this is really a surprise (to me anyways) but according to Engadget Adobe is creating a Flash program for the iPhone. I just ordered a 16gig iPhone on Saturday so this news is kind of exciting.

Sacred Cow on
    SacredCowJebus.png

SSB code- 0216-0856-6886 PM me so I can add you
  • Options
    yoshamanoyoshamano The fuck is this. The fuck was that. Marshall, Soviet MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Just to bring up a topic from page 1. I use a Samsung K5 (I feel like such the black sheep) 2 gig for my music needs. It's another MTP/PlaysForSure/Janus/fucking blow me based device. However, that's the only change they make to their mp3 players when they release them in North America. Everywhere else in the world the identical hardware is released as a UMS (USB Mass Storage) device. So all you need to do is whack it with the international version of the device's firmware. You lose the ability to play purchased WMA files, but gain the ability to play OGG files and the USB thumbdrive behavior. I did the same thing for my Samsung YP-K2 when I had that a couple of years ago (bugged out front USB port ended up blowing it up, sad panda).

yoshamano on
    pa_forums_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Mayday wrote: »
    Thanks for the help, oh Dark Prince!
    No problem, just remember to say three Hail Satans before bed.

Satan. on
  • Options
    theantipoptheantipop Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Apple likes to blame Sarbanes Oxley as the reason they charge for everything. I think they just need more money to feed ad execs. The iPod itself used to come decked with all sorts of docks, martinis and women. Do you even get a cable now?

theantipop on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    As much as I'm really enjoying this player, configuring the music library is going to take me ages :/

Mayday on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    theantipop wrote: »

Apple likes to blame Sarbanes Oxley as the reason they charge for everything. I think they just need more money to feed ad execs. The iPod itself used to come decked with all sorts of docks, martinis and women. Do you even get a cable now?

You get a cable and some stickers.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Can someone talk to me about iPod Touch please?

Specifically: make me not hate myself for not being able to afford the extra 30 bucks a month plus the extra 100 dollars at the start for having an iPhone rather than an iPod Touch plus shitty free Verizon phone that I can call my gf on.

Over the total cost of ownership, that's $720 (plus anything else if I go over my plan) for two years of being able to access stuff when I'm not at a wifi point (ie. not at home or on campus). Is that worth it? It seems not worth it. But I don't know. I'm blinded by my Apple lust :(

Lewisham on
  • Options
    Sacred CowSacred Cow Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Lewisham wrote: »

Specifically: make me not hate myself for not being able to afford the extra 30 bucks a month plus the extra 100 dollars at the start for having an iPhone rather than an iPod Touch plus shitty free Verizon phone that I can call my gf on.

Over the total cost of ownership, that's $720 (plus anything else if I go over my plan) for two years of being able to access stuff when I'm not at a wifi point (ie. not at home or on campus). Is that worth it? It seems not worth it. But I don't know. I'm blinded by my Apple lust :(

I have an iPhone and my dad has an iPod Touch. Honestly the only difference is the AT&T network. Everything you can do on an iPhone you can do on a Touch (minus the phone part of course). The main reason I went with an iPhone over the touch was because my contract with Sprint was coming to an end (I hate them so much) and my 2 year old 30gig iPod broke.

So if you're happy with your phone service now and don't really have a use for an internet connection anywhere you go, a Touch should do everything else you need.

Sacred Cow on
    SacredCowJebus.png

SSB code- 0216-0856-6886 PM me so I can add you
  • Options
    edited March 2008

I have an iPod touch right now and I love it. Ever since I did a jailbreak on it to gain the $20 applications (I have a launch 16GB) I wish I carried it on my person more often. However, my pockets are cluttered enough as it is and having an iPod touch + BlackBerry sucks a little bit. This summer, when I expect a hardware refresh for the iPhone, I'll be buying one just to unify my devices.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I was already paying £35 a month for my phone (SE K810i) so upgrading to the iPhone rather than the iPod was a no-brainer. And it has repaid itself a million times over. I'm almost never in WiFi, but always have a signal and alwys need a map, or a restaurant listing, or train times or anything else, so it is really helpful. Invaluable, even.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I was already paying £35 a month for my phone (SE K810i) so upgrading to the iPhone rather than the iPod was a no-brainer. And it has repaid itself a million times over. I'm almost never in WiFi, but always have a signal and alwys need a map, or a restaurant listing, or train times or anything else, so it is really helpful. Invaluable, even.

You are not helping :(

I'm in a jam because my !#@%;ing girlfriend got Verizon Wireless way back when, then convinced all her friends and family to do the same, so she won't move from Verizon. Now I'm coming to the US, and I don't want a shitty handset, but because of the system where you burn minutes whether you are callee or caller, it means that if I go onto ATT we're going to be fucked. As I spend most of my time talking to her about stupid shit like "can you get some milk on the way home", it would burn my cross-network minutes very quickly. And she just flat out said "I won't call you if you're on ATT because I can't afford it."

So she's backed me into having to get a shit Verizon handset I don't want (whatever is free at this point, Motorola/LG/Samsung are all terrible, Samsung marginally less so) on the cheapest plan I can get so we can talk to each other for free. I will save 25 bucks a month from the cheaper call plan, which is not insignificant on my slim PhD stipend, but I will have to have my wallet, keys, iPod Touch and phone in my pockets all at once, which sucks hard.

WiFi is not such a big deal, I have it at home and on-campus, and it's hard to not find an open spot somewhere in the Bay Area due to the large number of coffee shops. It's just a case of whether $25+ a month is worth it for features, like checking traffic reports, that I think I might use but probably won't.

EDIT: Idea - I get the iPhone, flunk the credit check (which I will: I don't have an SSN and even if I did it wouldn't have any good credit against it) and get GoPhone. See how it goes. If the gf and I decide it's not working out, I get the Verizon plan + phone, and turn off the iPhone's cell phone and just use wifi. At least that way I'll have a mic in it, so if/when Skype release an iPhone app I can use it, rather than the mic-less Touch. What do you guys think?

Lewisham on
  • Options
    bentbent Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I think you're desperate to have an iPhone for little reason other than to inconvenience yourself?

bent on
    sig1.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I just want an iPhone.

It's not a rational thing :(

Lewisham on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I just want an iPhone.

Usually Jobs' RDF wears off by now, but I suppose not this time.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I just want an iPhone.

Sadly not.

I have convinced myself:
    a) That I would not use a different phone as much because I would hate the phone
    b) That if I have an iPod Touch I won't carry it with me all the time, because I'd have a lot of crap in my pockets and I'd leave it in the office or at home
    c) That if I didn't have it with me, I wouldn't get any of the benefits of being able to access the internets on the go
    d) That I need to have cellular data access in a jam
    e) That I need the microphone, so I can use Skype if/when it comes out

I am quite the pretender. None of it is rational. None of it.

As my gf puts it: "You just want your new toy. You've spoken about the iPhone for a year now, and you don't say a word about the Touch. It's not the one you want."

Lewisham on
  • Options
    bentbent Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I just want an iPhone.

Sadly not.

I have convinced myself:
    a) That I would not use a different phone as much because I would hate the phone
    b) That if I have an iPod Touch I won't carry it with me all the time, because I'd have a lot of crap in my pockets and I'd leave it in the office or at home
    c) That if I didn't have it with me, I wouldn't get any of the benefits of being able to access the internets on the go
    d) That I need to have cellular data access in a jam
    e) That I need the microphone, so I can use Skype if/when it comes out

I am quite the pretender. None of it is rational. None of it.

As my gf puts it: "You just want your new toy. You've spoken about the iPhone for a year now, and you don't say a word about the Touch. It's not the one you want."

Just man up and start looking at phones available on the same network provider as your girlfriend.

I mean don't you have 3g networks over there? I get as much internet use out of my nokia 6880 as I could possibly want. Which coincidentally isn't much, because why the hell I'd want the internet with me absolutely everywhere is beyond me.

Also you say you need skype. Why?

And last but not least, you can always get a small mp3 player if you're going to be carrying around loads of crap in your pockets. It doesn't have to be some behemoth touchscreen.

bent on
    sig1.png