Optimus Keyboard Reviewed!

Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
So it seems this motherfucker isn't favorware after all! Here's a small review from our friends at Engadget. Seems like it's somewhat of a hit and miss deal with it's features and extras. Like the heavier keys and them being actually exhausting to use.... Interesting read.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/22/optimus-maximus-at-long-last-we-bring-one-home-to-test/

Lucky Cynic on

Posts

  • IncenjucarIncenjucar Not a Fictional Character Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I see the Porn Key..

    ...but where is the Any Key?

    Seriously though, I'd love to buy something like that as an add-on for my keyboard, but not as a replacement, with that chunky typing issue.

    Incenjucar on
  • ApostateApostate Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    I see the Porn Key..

    ...but where is the Any Key?

    Seriously though, I'd love to buy something like that as an add-on for my keyboard, but not as a replacement, with that chunky typing issue.

    Yeah but it does sound fantastic for something like photoshop or other similiar apps.

    Apostate on
  • DoomulonDoomulon Registered User
    edited February 2008
    Engadget says that the keyboard is going to cost around $1400 (as of last year), but on the preorder page it says it will cost $460?

    That's a big gap, which is more believable, the keyboard developers found a way to cut the cost by a thousand in the last year or it's a typo on their webpage?

    Link: http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/

    It raises my hopes to get one if the price drop is really that dramatic over the course of a year...

    Doomulon on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Doomulon wrote: »
    Engadget says that the keyboard is going to cost around $1400 (as of last year), but on the preorder page it says it will cost $460?

    That's a big gap, which is more believable, the keyboard developers found a way to cut the cost by a thousand in the last year or it's a typo on their webpage?

    Link: http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/

    It raises my hopes to get one if the price drop is really that dramatic over the course of a year...
    the 460$ version is one that only has 1 OLED key, the spacebar, the rest are just normal keys

    taliosfalcon on
  • DoomulonDoomulon Registered User
    edited February 2008
    Is there a site with less marketing bs and more straightforward pricing breakdown? I seriously get the impression from that link I posted that the 113 key version (all keys OLED) costs $460. I would like to be right, being wrong means I'd never get it...:(

    Edit: Man their site is sneaky in hiding the price, I understand how it all works now and that is... well, lame.... The real question is then, will the price ever become sane?

    Doomulon on
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Doomulon wrote: »
    Is there a site with less marketing bs and more straightforward pricing breakdown? I seriously get the impression from that link I posted that the 113 key version (all keys OLED) costs $460. I would like to be right, being wrong means I'd never get it...:(

    * 1 active key - $462
    * 10 active keys - $600
    * 47 active keys - $1000
    * 103 active keys - $1564

    Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Whatever happened to their 3 button add-on strip?

    PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    1500 dollars for a keyboard? I've never heard of anything more ridiculous in my life.

    Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    1500 dollars for a keyboard? I've never heard of anything more ridiculous in my life.

    180px-Hedonism_Bot.jpg

    Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • ApostateApostate Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    1500 dollars for a keyboard? I've never heard of anything more ridiculous in my life.
    Yeah wow. D: I had no idea it was going to be that much. I was expecting something in the $300-$400 range. Who do they think is going to buy it at that price?

    Apostate on
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    1500 dollars for a keyboard? I've never heard of anything more ridiculous in my life.

    Then don't get married because sooner or later you'll drop $500 on a new purse for your wife.

    Back on topic: I've been following this keyboard forever now, and I would love to get my hands on one. I Just wonder what the standard warrenty on this thing?

    DietarySupplement on
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Basically, (PlayStation) Home is Second Life Ultra Light? Most of the cool stuff, none of the creepy blimp on blimp fucking.
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If I had a lot of money I'd totally get this. Unfortunately I do not have a lot of money. Also, I don't really see the point of the version with only one active button. How useful could it be to have a picture on just the spacebar?

    Peewi on
    Switch: SW-6132-4331-5349 || Steam
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'd have a picture of the Scout in TF2 and it would switch to the best weapon depending on class and macro random obsceneties directed at said Scout.

    Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    At that price, they might as well add more features to it and market it as universal control device. How much would it cost them to add wireless support for televisions and receivers?

    FreddyD on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    FreddyD wrote: »
    At that price, they might as well add more features to it and market it as universal control device. How much would it cost them to add wireless support for televisions and receivers?

    Another $500, probably.

    Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    I like how it's apparently useless for typing, too.

    This really should have been designed as the ultimate add-on rather than a full fledged keyboard.

    Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
Sign In or Register to comment.