As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Definition of High! (360/PS3 HDMI question).

HerothHeroth Registered User regular
So, i finally got a HDMI LCD TV and want to buy some HDMI cables for my Xbox 360 and soon to have PS3...

and i'm wondering, what are the best brands? is there a difference apart from price? should i go official? or are there alternatives that are just as good?

Any help would be muchly appreciated, thanks.

1Gn4PNI.png
Heroth on

• Options
    cSpoogecSpooge Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Heroth wrote: »
    So, i finally got a HDMI LCD TV and want to buy some HDMI cables for my Xbox 360 and soon to have PS3...

and i'm wondering, what are the best brands? is there a difference apart from price? should i go official? or are there alternatives that are just as good?

Any help would be muchly appreciated, thanks.

http://www.monoprice.com

order your cables from there. Cheap prices and very good cables. HDMI cables are digital so unless you're running the cable 40 or 50 feet you'll be fine with whatever.

cSpooge on
  • Options
    HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    looking into it more, according to some sites (and by looking at my own xbox 360) you can't have the A/V cable plugged in at the same time as the HDMI cable...

This doesn't matter if i don't have surround sound does it? i'll still be able to hear sound from the game won't i? if i only have the HDMI cable linked?

silly question, i know, but i know next to nothing about this sort of thing ;P

http://www.chadledford.com/?p=50 <- one site referencing this.

Heroth on
    1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    HDMI transmits audio and video both, so as long as you have speakers in whatever you're plugging your 360 into, you'll have sound.

(this means that you'd need some kind of modified AV cable if you were to use, say, an HDMI-DVI adapter and plug it into a computer monitor).

Daedalus on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited February 2008
    umm, you sure as hell can plug in an AV cable and an HDMI cable on the 360, but only the audio transmits out of the av block if HDMI is active.

also, for people who don't like a bunch of messy cables in the back, they make a special AV cable that is just a block with red-white RCA posts, and a TOSLink connector on it.

41lfHItkIVL._AA280_.jpg

considering the block comes with an HDMI cable, and you can find it online for 39.99 or so, it is totally worth it... IF you have an HDMI TV and an optical receiver.

If course, if you do not, just spend 10 bucks at monoprice for an HDMI cable.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    syndalis wrote: »
    umm, you sure as hell can plug in an AV cable and an HDMI cable on the 360, but only the audio transmits out of the av block if HDMI is active.

Electrically, yes, you theoretically can. In actual practice, they don't both fit at once, and you need to remove the plastic casing on your analog cable to cram an HDMI cable in there. Or buy that overpriced breakout box that you posted.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    Rotting MeatRotting Meat Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    syndalis wrote: »

also, for people who don't like a bunch of messy cables in the back, they make a special AV cable that is just a block with red-white RCA posts, and a TOSLink connector on it.

41lfHItkIVL._AA280_.jpg

considering the block comes with an HDMI cable, and you can find it online for 39.99 or so, it is totally worth it... IF you have an HDMI TV and an optical receiver.

If course, if you do not, just spend 10 bucks at monoprice for an HDMI cable.

I found one of these in the used racks at my local EB for $15.99. Get digging and get lucky and it's a good way to go.

Rotting Meat on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I got my HDMI from Blue Jeans Cable. Slightly more expensive than Mono, but still reasonable (6" for $30), and they're Made In America*.

* except the parts that aren't

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    I got my HDMI from Blue Jeans Cable. Slightly more expensive than Mono, but still reasonable (6" for $30), and they're Made In America*.

Umm, 6" for $30 is NOT reasonable. I bought a 6" cable for $5 at NewEgg, and I know Monoprice has them cheaper. Shit, I got my second cable for $12 at BigLots and I still felt I paid too much, but I didn't want to wait for shipping.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    DHS Odium wrote: »

Umm, 6" for $30 is NOT reasonable. I bought a 6" cable for $5 at NewEgg, and I know Monoprice has them cheaper. Shit, I got my second cable for $12 at BigLots and I still felt I paid too much, but I didn't want to wait for shipping.

What the hell are you guys gonna do with a 6 inch cable?
    ' is feet
    " is inches

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Figgy wrote: »
    DHS Odium wrote: »

What the hell are you guys gonna do with a 6 inch cable?
    ' is feet
    " is inches

Obviously tape my PS3 to the back of my TV so it's like an iMac.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294