As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Red Faction: Guerilla: Out Now! Hammers away!

• Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I pre-ordered this today. It looks like what I wanted out of Mercs 2.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm really hoping this is great. Hoping so hard.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    JNighthawkJNighthawk Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    FYI, the hammer *is* really in the game as an unlockable in MP: http://community.redfaction.com/blogs/?p=325

JNighthawk on
    Game programmer
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I really enjoyed the multiplayer in the first red faction. it had both great small, closed spaces and large, wide open maps. digging little camping holes, shortcuts to your favorite weapons and ruining sniping spots was also excellent. hoping this will be as much fun

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Man, my best friend and I used to play the hell out of the PS2 version of the first red faction. Anyhow, looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.

(P.S.: I also loved Freespace 2....so Freespace 3 would not be unappreciated. Just mentioning that in passing. :P )

Operative21 on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    JNighthawk wrote: »
    Also a Volition employee here :-)

I guess I can understand why people complain about RFG - all of it goes away once it's in their hands, though. Destruction just doesn't come across well enough in screenshots. Videos help, but until you're there with the hammer in your hand, it's hard for you to understand just how truly visceral it all is. And once you've played it, when you go back to another game without destruction and you crash into a fence post with your tank and it stops... you'll hate it.

Crysis and Battlefield Bad company do this, but I don't think Battlefield Bad Company allowed you to destroy everything. It left sort of a "Husk" of the building. I'm pretty impressed by the constraints and weight calculations in RFG and the fact that what you just blew up belonged in the world (ie support beams and metal girders holding the building up). Its all good stuff, but something makes me wish there was a little bit of terrain destruction, it's understandable though with the building destruction that adding another layer would be pretty hard on the 360 and PS3.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Red Faction was the first game I played multiplayer on.

Hey, Volition mnake Saints Row right? Tell them to make the main character less of a dickhole next time around and they have my money.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    JNighthawk wrote: »
    Also a Volition employee here :-)

I'm the brother of a Volition employee. Does that count at all?

Tamin on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    MechMantis wrote: »

Where's our Freespace 3?

I kid, I kid.

ohnoudidnt.jpg

Cruel Volition, cruel.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    MiSTieOtakuMiSTieOtaku Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Oh, that's just mean.

MiSTieOtaku on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    PS3 owners who are also annual subscribers to Qore get early access to the demo. Came out Thursday. About to try it out myself.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    We were at the preview event in Vegas a couple weeks ago and did a write up on the game's progress so far: http://www.msxbox-world.com/xbox360/previews/preview/102/Red-Faction-Guerrilla.html

I couldn't go myself but my buddy tells me the game is shaping up very nicely, and is far better than the beta was. In all honesty Red Faction wasn't on my radar but I'm alot more interested now. The pack mechanic in multiplayer looks like it might be alot of fun ...

Bamelin on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Bamelin wrote: »
    We were at the preview event in Vegas a couple weeks ago and did a write up on the game's progress so far: http://www.msxbox-world.com/xbox360/previews/preview/102/Red-Faction-Guerrilla.html

I couldn't go myself but my buddy tells me the game is shaping up very nicely, and is far better than the beta was. In all honesty Red Faction wasn't on my radar but I'm alot more interested now. The pack mechanic in multiplayer looks like it might be alot of fun ...

During the beta, both me and my brother would take literally every chance to grab a Rhino backpack and blast through a wall, shouting "OH YEAHHHH!"

There'd better be some kind of Kool-Aid-based achievement.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I get excited about this, then remember Red Faction 2.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Forbe! wrote: »
    I get excited about this, then remember Red Faction 2.

You should get excited, the beta was a lot of fun and apparently it's gotten even better since then. Don't judge this based on a past game, judge it on it's own merits.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Holy shit this game is awesome. Needs a little work but I would buy it as-is.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    /jealous

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Satsumomo wrote: »

Where's our Freespace 3?

I kid, I kid.

ohnoudidnt.jpg

Cruel Volition, cruel.

Ack! Don't toy with me like this! WHY VOLITION!? WHYYYY!?

(Also, best April Fool's Joke this year. Even edging out Blizzard's Archivist class!)

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I like April fools joke that actually come true. Hidden cow level, the pandaren race.. now the ostrich hammer.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    And hopefully the Terra-tron?

Xtarath on
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Just played the demo a load of times there. I'm pleasantly surprised by how much it lived up to my own hype. The destruction really is as good as advertised. The frame rate also holds up perfectly, no matter how many attempts i take to lower it. Smashing through buildings with the walker, never gets old. Nor does smashing people in the face with a hammer.

Oh, I'm also happy to see its not going to be just red sand the entire game. The opening trailer on the demo, shows off green and even snow areas.

My cautious enthusiasm, has turned to me buying day one for sure.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, so I finally got my demo code from Gamestop, and WOW. This is great. I'm pleasantly surprised that it runs decently well on the PS3 in 1080p.

I'm really sad that they decided to release this demo so far ahead of the game, although I could play through this a ton of times. It reminds me of Mercenaries 2, only it's less janky. I'm also sad that I never played the other Red Faction games. Well, okay, I played the demo of 2 and I also played Red Faction on the Ngage, but that doesn't really count. Is it worth checking those out still?

brynstar on
  • Options
    Kemal86Kemal86 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Evangir wrote: »
    Satsumomo wrote: »

Where's our Freespace 3?

I kid, I kid.

ohnoudidnt.jpg

Cruel Volition, cruel.

Ack! Don't toy with me like this! WHY VOLITION!? WHYYYY!?

(Also, best April Fool's Joke this year. Even edging out Blizzard's Archivist class!)

There's actually quite a few funny little things on that whiteboard, though some of them are bit too "inside baseball" for Non-Volitionites.

Kemal86 on
    i used to test games now i sit on my couch and am lazy all day
    PKMN White FC: 0046 2138 1298
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So watching some more trailers has pretty much convinced me terrain deformation isn't needed. This game looks like ridiculous fun. So much that I'm considering forgoing inFamous on release day to get this, since it's released so close. The 'Tools of Destruction' clips are selling the game to me.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    capable heartcapable heart Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    deleted

capable heart on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This looks okay, I guess, but my main problem is that it isn't, in any sense, a Red Faction game. It's a big gimmicky open world shooter with the license from one of my favorite FPSs ever attached to it. I hate that.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Fandyien wrote: »
    This looks okay, I guess, but my main problem is that it isn't, in any sense, a Red Faction game. It's a big gimmicky open world shooter with the license from one of my favorite FPSs ever attached to it. I hate that.

At least it has SOME kind of destruction. Red Faction 2 was just sad with how little you could destroy.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I will buy this game multiple times if it means capital for a FreeSpace 3.

Does the world really need a Saint's Row 3?

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    In one of the trailers about the end of the beta, I saw a heat signature showing through a wall. Was this a special backpack power, or does it in fact mean that my all time favorite FPS weapon, the rail driver, is back in this game?

-Loki- on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    And Interplay needs tha cash.

august on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    But the original Red Faction was so good, and this looks horribly bland.

Color me sad. Where is Eos? Where are the miners and the flaming scientists? where

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I think there are miners...well there are these NPC guys that stand around on the planet.

But hey you can tear apart every building brick by brick with a hammer.

brynstar on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Where is Eos? Where are the miners and the flaming scientists? where

Eos would be dead. It takes place 50 years after Red Faction. You see miners in the trailers - they just aren't wearing the funky mining suits. And it's a bit hard to complain about things like scientists being missing, or anything regarding the story, since they haven't really revealed anything about the story.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I just hope they actually are having a serious rethink about how they implement geomod. The original geomod engine was hard limited since there was a number of geomods beyond which the engine would just crash (hence the limit of 128 or so I think - it was a number they found it never crashed at).

With modern processing power, I'm hoping to god they figure out a way to implement it so it basically can map itself in a fairly processor conservative manner.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    it's more a RAM limitation than processor.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ram is like, 2.99 now. You get it in cereal.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm sure people would love to shove some DIMMs into their 360s and PS3s.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Color me sad. Where is Eos? Where are the miners and the flaming scientists? where

I just started playing Red Faction 1 for the first time and I'm pretty sure you're wearing some pretty serious rose-tinted glasses.

august on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    august wrote: »

I just started playing Red Faction 1 for the first time and I'm pretty sure you're wearing some pretty serious rose-tinted glasses.

Nah. I played through Red Faction like a month or two ago. I acknowledge it's lost a lot in terms of it's technical execution when compared to shooters today, but it's still a fantastic game when you consider it in 2001-context.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Nah. I played through Red Faction like a month or two ago. I acknowledge it's lost a lot in terms of it's technical execution when compared to shooters today, but it's still a fantastic game when you consider it in 2001-context.

Seconded.

I just played the demo. It's interesting, and seems like it could be quite fun.

I played through the mission straight smash-and-grab. I liked it. And that's one mission.

Doesn't seem much like the original Red Faction, but hopefully some of the later missions take into account the geomod technology.

The sledge seemed a little overpowered though. I could take out a jersey barrier and two guys standing behind it with one swing.

adytum on