As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Red Faction: Guerilla: Out Now! Hammers away!

• Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Triple B wrote: »
    Probable n00b question imminent:

I noticed in the demo that I couldn't actually Geo-Mod the land itself, and that only the structures were destructible. Is this something that's been talked about?

Only buildings are destroyable.

Yeah, I was sort of wondering why. It's a big disappointment to me, as tunneling to places where I wasn't intended to go was one of my favorite parts of RF1. It made for some very interesting LAN games. I'm assuming it's because of the resources something like that would require on current-gen consoles.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Can i just share my excitement for a moment. Probably not news for most anyway. But i can't believe there's a party multiplayer mode for this. YES! YES! YES! I can already taste the good ol' days, of crash mode on burnout 3. This game is 100% day one for me. I've played the demo a shocking amount already. Just can't wait to get my hands on some massive structures in the full game. Or should i say, plant my explosives on them. :winky::winky:

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    StrikerkcStrikerkc Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

I noticed in the demo that I couldn't actually Geo-Mod the land itself, and that only the structures were destructible. Is this something that's been talked about?

Yeah, I was sort of wondering why. It's a big disappointment to me, as tunneling to places where I wasn't intended to go was one of my favorite parts of RF1. It made for some very interesting LAN games. I'm assuming it's because of the resources something like that would require on current-gen consoles.

The geo moding (in the Single player) of the first game wasn't as integral as it is in this one. it was something you could do to amuse yourself in RF1. In RFG, it is something you must do. It's how you acomplish your goals and rally the populace against the EDG. If you had been expected to cause as much mayhem in the first one as you do in RFG, then you'd never be able to walk across the room becuase of the uneven surfaces. I think in order for them to have a single player that they could even reasonably hope to script out or play, they needed terrain to stay put.

Now, I would love actual geo mod ability in the wrecking crew bit 8-)

I wonder if they'll have any "chalange room" types of things. Perhaps where you're given a certain building and a certain type of weaponry with a certain ammount of ammo, and are judged on how effectivly you bring the down the building (they even have the % destroyed writen into the game). Imagine some 5 story monster you're expected to take down with 4 demo charges...

Strikerkc on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Graviija wrote: »
    "Argle-bargle"? What on earth does that even mean?

you know, "argle-bargle" as in "diggity woo" or "poop snickety wow"

Moving away from my choice of vocabulary I'd like to point out I only tried the demo once and it left a big impression on me. I will give it another shot, sure, but I'm commenting on just that first initial couple runs.

I'd basically got killed within 20 seconds of starting the demo. I ran to a fantastic spot and shot the one guy there only to have him completely fuck my shit up somehow. Tried it again and second time through made it to the end on-rails section where the aiming completely ruined my run.... again. Still, it is just a demo and I will give it a full on run though.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

I was initially disappointed about this as well, until I played and realised that I never actually tunneled in in RF1 with a purpose - it was something to do for shits and giggles. Even multiplayer I only really used it to make shortcuts or make people fall through the floor for a laugh. After I played the demo, I was assured that destructible buildings are so much fun, I can forgive the loss of destructible ground.

About the volume, I noticed a huge improvement when I switched on my 5.1 surround system instead of my TV speakers (I don't always use the surround system because it doesn't have a remote, I need to get up to change the volume). They could still be a bit louder, but I didn't find it to be a huge problem.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Has anyone had any really, really long hangtime on a blown up car yet? I placed a charge on a car, blew it up and went to shoot some baddies. I didn't see the car land, and just assumed it flew over a hill or something. About 8 seconds later, it came falling straight down, right on top of another car (which blew up, of course).

The hammer is fun, but I'd rather use the charges to blow up a building filled with gas tanks. Sounds pretty plain, but I get the charges inside the building by attaching them to a car, then driving the car off a cliff, into the building (bailing out midair).

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    The hammer is fun, but I'd rather use the charges to blow up a building filled with gas tanks. Sounds pretty plain, but I get the charges inside the building by attaching them to a car, then driving the car off a cliff, into the building (bailing out midair).

You Sir, are a gentleman and a scholar

Strikerkc on
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    Has anyone had any really, really long hangtime on a blown up car yet? I placed a charge on a car, blew it up and went to shoot some baddies. I didn't see the car land, and just assumed it flew over a hill or something. About 8 seconds later, it came falling straight down, right on top of another car (which blew up, of course).

Good god, why did i never think of attaching explosives to cars. So gonna try this, next time i fire the demo on.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I love how the explosives detonate in sequence, too, rather than all at once. I don't know why, I just think it's cool that it's like *BANG BANG BANG BANG*.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    played the demo a couple times and I really enjoyed it. Love sneaking up on guards and giving them a sturdy chop with the sledgehammer then placing charges on support beams/bridges/explosives for great success. And if that walker is just one of the vehicles, and the walker can plow through buildings, then color me excited.

One thing I was confused about though, whats with the ammo crates? I understand you can change the buttons your weapons are mapped to there, but do all of your weapons gain more ammo from it?

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    You all make valid points. Geo-Mod in RF1 was certainly a bell. Or a whistle, as it were. It was something to do purely for self-amusement, and I totally get why they would need to restrict Geo-Modability to buildings in RF:G. Make no mistake. This is a day one purchase for me. I was a huge fanboy of RF1, which still holds a very special place in this gamer's heart to this day. As someone mentioned before, the RF:G demo itself has already proven to be more valuable than the entirety of RF2. Can't wait to get my hands on this one.

Triple B on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yes, all of your guns get some ammo from it, it's useful for when you run out of bombs. Supposedly you get more ammo for higher faction points

On RF1's geomod, it would have been useful, if they let you use it to tunnel around locked doors and such, but they made that stuff non-destructive most of the time sadly

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I just hope that this kind of GeoMod becomes standard-ish for future games. In particular, games with superpowers.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I just hope that this kind of GeoMod becomes standard-ish for future games. In particular, games with superpowers.

I think I posted it yesterday, but I want to see this engine licensed out to everybody. I mean, particularly RealTimeWorlds for when they eventually get round to Crackdown 2.

Punch a man through a building? Why, of course.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    darleysam wrote: »

I think I posted it yesterday, but I want to see this engine licensed out to everybody. I mean, particularly RealTimeWorlds for when they eventually get round to Crackdown 2.

Indeed. Indeed, sir. In a perfect world, Geo-Mod would be in every game. In a perfect world...

Triple B on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    darleysam wrote: »

Good plan. Though I would hope the buildings are a bit more durable. in that case. I want to damage buildings in a game like that, not oblitorate them with a single strike (in RFG, oblitoration is fine with me 8-))
    I love how the explosives detonate in sequence, too, rather than all at once. I don't know why, I just think it's cool that it's like *BANG BANG BANG BANG*.

I wonder if that will allow us to do things like more structured demolitions. Like two initial charges on the corner supports of one side, the next two charges on the outside of the oposite next story wall. Blow out the floor suports on the north side, then give a northward push from mines on the upper floors of the south wall, cause it to push the whole thing over.

Strikerkc on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The new trailer on gametrailers is awesome. I like how weapons can be upgraded, as well as armour - upgrading armour should make being attacked on sight a bit more tolerable. I also read that you go back to Ultor labs in this one, so the mad scientists Fandyien was complaining about the lack of we might just see.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Is it just me, or does every Volition game have a mad scientist of some kind?

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Freespace 2 lacked a mad scientist.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Evangir wrote: »
    You could possibly call Bosch, and his plans to make buddies with the Shivans, though they left that unanswered

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    This is interesting. New singleplayer DLC about 6 months after it ships? So far no games I've really enjoyed, aside from Valkyria Chronicles, have expanded the single player. This is awesome news.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    New content, you have to wonder what it could be

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    You could possibly call Bosch, and his plans to make buddies with the Shivans, though they left that unanswered

Well FINE. Freespace 1 then.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I don't think it really counts. He had a technology that would allow humans to communicate with Shivans. Plus he was a general. Doesn't fit the mold IMO :P

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I don't think it really counts. He had a technology that would allow humans to communicate with Shivans. Plus he was a general. Doesn't fit the mold IMO :P
    He was a scientist before, and attempting to be buddies with Shivans is bad for everyone else, so he's both mad and a scientist, with some of the Third Reich in space thrown for good measure

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    nihilnihil Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    so a settler was being chased by a soldier guy in the demo just now. she was running around arms flailing and I decided to step in and help her settlin' ass out. I slapped a remote charge on her head and watched her flip out and run TOWARDS the dude that was chasing her, with his gun drawn now less. Fun. This game is going to be like a more fun gta, minus gangs and minus earth. ok, nothing like gta but running around and dropping buildings on people can't get old fast. can it ?

nihil on
    doubttom.png

on the ps3 - doubttom
    on wii - 2056 0358 8899 2028
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    There better be an assault mode or something like that in multiplayer. Being able to charge at an enemy base and reduce its deference and sniping points to rubble would be pretty awesome, doubly so if they could find a way to randomly generate the base that the defenders would be in

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    There better be an assault mode or something like that in multiplayer. Being able to charge at an enemy base and reduce its deference and sniping points to rubble would be pretty awesome, doubly so if they could find a way to randomly generate the base that the defenders would be in

Thanks a lot. Now I'm going to be really annoyed if there isn't a mode like this.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    KatholicKatholic Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    JNighthawk wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Having played the demo - I can definitely see myself loving the full game. Enemies reacting to you doesn't bother to me as long as there are safe zones - maybe Eos wil be some sort of 'home' zone where most people are friendly.

Glad you liked it! We worked hard on it :-)

In the demo, you're dropped in a mission in an EDF restricted zone, so they're naturally hostile for you being there. In the full game, if you just run into the EDF in the open with your sledgehammer out, they won't attack. If you're holding a weapon in plain-sight, though, they'll react.

There are safehouses throughout the world that you'll use as your base of operations, where you can change weapons, purchase upgrades, and grab a vehicle.

Question...is there going to be local splitscreen? This will decide my purchase. Too many games nowadays forget about local competition.

Katholic on
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Katholic wrote: »
    Having played the demo - I can definitely see myself loving the full game. Enemies reacting to you doesn't bother to me as long as there are safe zones - maybe Eos wil be some sort of 'home' zone where most people are friendly.

In the demo, you're dropped in a mission in an EDF restricted zone, so they're naturally hostile for you being there. In the full game, if you just run into the EDF in the open with your sledgehammer out, they won't attack. If you're holding a weapon in plain-sight, though, they'll react.

There are safehouses throughout the world that you'll use as your base of operations, where you can change weapons, purchase upgrades, and grab a vehicle.

Question...is there going to be local splitscreen? This will decide my purchase. Too many games nowadays forget about local competition.
    Would make my life, but my money's on no.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Local splitscreen is the best thing.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I can see why these guys did a pre-release demo and made it available to everybody. It's super-good.

I mean, I was going to buy it anyway, but now I'm going to buy it a little harder.

zilo on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Torso Boy wrote: »
    Katholic wrote: »

Would make my life, but my money's on no.

Gamespot has a feature on the multiplayer modes - the only offline multiplayer mode talked about is 'Wrecking crew', which is a pass-the-controller mode to see who can destroy the most stuff in a time limit.

The online modes are a 'control point' mode. Sounds like the old Domination mode from UT. The other modes are deathmatch and team deathmatch. Slightly disappointed, but not enough to make me not want the game.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Thanks a lot. Now I'm going to be really annoyed if there isn't a mode like this.

It would even be better if defenders can set up areas to collapse and crush attackers.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    He was a scientist before, and attempting to be buddies with Shivans is bad for everyone else, so he's both mad and a scientist, with some of the Third Reich in space thrown for good measure
    He's using the NTF to get to the Shivans, presumably in order to stop the war. His tech is good for everyone!

Evangir on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Man, it was so cool playing with the remote bombs. You toss them on a thing, then blow them up, and then the thing has a hole in it! It's fucking awesome.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    JNighthawkJNighthawk Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

You're talking about Siege. The attackers have to keep taking out targets and moving up while the defenders have to keep them safe and repair them.

We won't have split-screen or co-op due to technical restrictions, but like Loki said, we will have Wrecking Crew, which is a local pass-the-controller party mode. It's a freaking blast when playing with friends.

Glad you guys enjoyed the demo :-) I never played that mission until the demo came out (I work on multiplayer) and I had a blast with it. FYI: we've got a ton of info at the community site/forums, at http://community.redfaction.com.

JNighthawk on
    Game programmer
  • Options
    edited April 2009

You're talking about Siege. The attackers have to keep taking out targets and moving up while the defenders have to keep them safe and repair them.

I got the impression it was more just like capture-the-point gameplay. So there bases on those points?

-Loki- on
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Man, it was so cool playing with the remote bombs. You toss them on a thing, then blow them up, and then the thing has a hole in it! It's fucking awesome.
    And then you use more than one, and the thing is a smoking ruin. And it's even more awesome ;)

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    I would like to take the time to say this to the developers:

Thank you so much for having Legacy sticks. You don't know how much that means to me. I will be buying your game solely because of this.

xoxoxoxo, fyrewulff

FyreWulff on