As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Regretting Major Change

Matt_SMatt_S Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey everyone, I'll try to keep this brief...

My first major in college was nutrition. I had a huge passion for nutrition, eating right, et cetera but this was a bit tampered down by my Chem 101 class that I took. I failed my first test, was doing miserably in the labs, and decided to drop the class and change my major to political science. I now recognize not trying to stick with it was a big mistake.

I'm good at political science, and I do have interest in the subject, but nothing near the passion I felt for nutrition. I recently started working out again and trying to eat right, which are in turn causing my interest in nutrition to reemerge. I kind of feel that I should change majors again, but this will be unfeasible since I graduate in May and have already invested so many classes and credits in political science.

So what to do? I'm graduating in May with a political science degree, but I also want to do work in nutrition and physical fitness. The reasons are personal - I was once obese and now I'm looking to pay it forward, and help other people who are overweight or obese who want to learn how to eat healthy achieve their goals.

So I've thought about this a little bit and thought about what I can do after I graduate:

(a) Get a job with my current degree now, while on the side educating myself more about proper diet and nutrition (and maybe even take a chemistry course at a local community college), and eventually be certified as a personal trainer. Maybe use my personal trainer experience as a springboard to restart my nutrition education.
(b) Use my political science education to try to help "further the cause" of eating healthy and learning basic nutrition. Maybe work in some special interests organization with goals like eating healthy and being healthy in mind.
(c) Graduate, and then reapply immediately to another school and major in nutrition there.
(d) Ignore my aspirations of helping people lose weight, at least in the professional way, and go about doing what I had planned for previously.
(e) Other

I'm leaning a little towards option A right now, but seriously - any advice and help anyone can give would be extremely helpful.

Matt_S on

• Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I like (a) and (c)

(a) would be better as you can start getting the money in faster

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, it's probably part (a) that would be the easiest to work with. It leaves you with options. It'll be a lot of extra work, but if you're as passionate about it as you sound, you'll do fine.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    DarthJerDarthJer Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Lots (emphasis on the lots) of people work in fields that aren't where their major was. I'm not saying that it makes things easier, but you can still end up in a different field easily. Though PoliSci to Fitness/Nutrition is a jump, it's not the widest chasm I've seen.

And no, I'm not talking about you, friend in Law School after Graphic Design degree...

DarthJer on
  • Options
    spacerobotspacerobot Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Depending on your financial situation, you could stay in school a bit longer and get a double major.
    I don't recommend D. Follow your heart man, seriously.

I say, do B while attending school part time to get a degree in nutrition.

spacerobot on
    test.jpg
  • Options
    ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    if you can afford it, go straight into a second degree. A lot of times credits will transfer over and you'll only need a year or two extra of school for your next degree (of course, depends on compatibility twixt majors)

Otherwise, work for a few years and save up some money, if you still feel the drive for nutrition (or food science maybe?) after that, go ahead and get yerself another degree

ihmmy on
  • Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    There are a lot of public health/fitness organizations and foundations that would have great use for someone with a political science degree. I work for one (the YMCA). There are probably hundreds of organizations that would be glad to have you. I think looking into those options while simultaneously further educating yourself on nutrition would be the best idea.

If you're interested in specific organizations I could certainly come up with a list for you.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162