As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pakistan blocks off Youtube for 2/3rd of the world

2»

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Qingu wrote: »
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Your situation sounds like complete bullshit. The case in the OP, however, sounds like it might actually come close to "hate speech," which is specifically forbidden by YouTube's terms of use. If I thought that YouTube actually put much thought into removing the video, and did it for a clear reason, I'd have no issue with it at all. As it is, stories like yours (and there are plenty) make me think that their general policy is "if anybody complains, it's gone, and it's up to the poster to fight to get it back if there was nothing wrong with it."
    I really think people need to start rethinking how "hate speech" applies to ideologies, like religions. There are a lot of perfectly good criticisms to make about Islam (or Judaism or Christianity for that matter), and I think a lot of religious people use this role of hate-speech victimhood as a tool to censor valid criticism of their beliefs.
    Agreed. Which is why without seeing the video "might come close" is as much as I'm willing to say.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Also, Qingu, I'm usually sympathetic to your positions, but a video of Muhammad being punched in the face repeatedly isn't exactly an "argument" against Islam.
    True, but ... do you know how hard it was to make a Muhammad Mii? Especially considering I had to improvise a turban from a haircut?

They censored my arts!

Qingu on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I haven't seen a Muhammad on the Wii Contest Channel yet. I wonder what Nintendo would do.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    kdrudy wrote: »
    Richy wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »
    If you guys want to talk about generalizations it might be better not to do that here? I mean, it's a retarded discussion that has been done a dozen times over.
    Right, going back on topic.

Like I said, and we all know, many countries permanently block part or all of YouTube. Pakistan only blocked the site for a day. If it wasn't for accidentally blocking it for most of the world as well for a few hours, no one outside Pakistan would even know about it. Hell, most people inside Pakistan wouldn't know about it, what with 95% of them not having access to the internet and the other 5% probably not checking YouTube on a daily basis. So why are people making a big deal out of this incident?

Well, Pakistan did announce the decree to block Youtube so more people would know it. I think the bigger story in all of this, at least to me, is still that this massive vulnerability exists and hasn't been dealt with in the years it's been known to exist. It doesn't appear to have ever really been used maliciously, all the incidents have been accidents that I've been able to find, but it seems like something that could be used very effectively if a major entity wanted to be malicious.
    I don't think so. I mean, it's easy to temporarily block a website by redirecting traffic into a black hole. So easy that it happens accidentally, like in this case. But it's also easy and quick to redirect traffic around the black hole and restore access. In this case, from what I read, it took all of two hours, probably a lot of it overhead such as discovering and reporting the problem, and figuring out what was really going on. And once the problem is discovered, everyone knows it was you. The network path is clear and your server is clearly marked as the black hole. So it's far from the perfect crime.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    kdrudy wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »
    If you guys want to talk about generalizations it might be better not to do that here? I mean, it's a retarded discussion that has been done a dozen times over.
    Right, going back on topic.

Like I said, and we all know, many countries permanently block part or all of YouTube. Pakistan only blocked the site for a day. If it wasn't for accidentally blocking it for most of the world as well for a few hours, no one outside Pakistan would even know about it. Hell, most people inside Pakistan wouldn't know about it, what with 95% of them not having access to the internet and the other 5% probably not checking YouTube on a daily basis. So why are people making a big deal out of this incident?

Well, Pakistan did announce the decree to block Youtube so more people would know it. I think the bigger story in all of this, at least to me, is still that this massive vulnerability exists and hasn't been dealt with in the years it's been known to exist. It doesn't appear to have ever really been used maliciously, all the incidents have been accidents that I've been able to find, but it seems like something that could be used very effectively if a major entity wanted to be malicious.
    I don't think so. I mean, it's easy to temporarily block a website by redirecting traffic into a black hole. So easy that it happens accidentally, like in this case. But it's also easy and quick to redirect traffic around the black hole and restore access. In this case, from what I read, it took all of two hours, probably a lot of it overhead such as discovering and reporting the problem, and figuring out what was really going on. And once the problem is discovered, everyone knows it was you. The network path is clear and your server is clearly marked as the black hole. So it's far from the perfect crime.

That's true, it's not a sustainable attack, but two hours can be a lot of time to knock out anything traveling over the public internet to allow you to accomplish other goals I would think. It's mostly for theoretical situations right now true, but it seems far to easy to do.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Youtube should not have removed the offending video.

I've gotten one of my Youtube videos removed. The video showed Ayaan Hirsi Ali beating the shit out of the Prophet Muhammad on Wii Boxing. Some bullshit Muslim group under the name "EOTC Documentaries" claimed copyright infringement and had it removed.

I should really put that back up. Youtube should not pander to the whims of religious fanatics. There have been other instances of Muslims trying to censor Youtube as well.
    You should’ve filed a counter-claim, putting the burden of proof on the other party.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    stilist wrote: »
    You should’ve filed a counter-claim, putting the burden of proof on the other party.
    I'm not really comfortable supplying my name and address to people who want to censor videos hostile to the prophet Muhammad. See: Theo Van Gogh.

That said, I was going to repost the video a while ago. I'm totally doing this tonight now. Allahoo ackbar!

Qingu on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm not really comfortable supplying my name and address to people who want to censor videos hostile to the prophet Muhammad. See: Theo Van Gogh.

That said, I was going to repost the video a while ago. I'm totally doing this tonight now. Allahoo ackbar!
    O_o Are you actually comparing YouTube to the extremists who murdered Theo? Or are you talking about whoever protested your video in the first place?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Damn right you are Qingu. I also want you to insert a single frame, 1/24th second frame in the video.

"Fuck you, Youtube." it should say.

At least, that's what I'd do.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    O_o Are you actually comparing YouTube to the extremists who murdered Theo? Or are you talking about whoever protested your video in the first place?
    If you had read his other posts you would know it was the latter.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    My point was that I do not feel comfortable supplying my personal information to a censoring group who may or may not be Muslim extremists because I do not want to deal with the possibility—however slight—that I may end up like Theo Van Gogh.

Qingu on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    My point was that I do not feel comfortable supplying my personal information to a censoring group who may or may not be Muslim extremists because I do not want to deal with the possibility—however slight—that I may end up like Theo Van Gogh.
    Does filing a counterclaim require you to provide the group with your personal info, or just YouTube?

And that possibility is slight enough that, if you're honestly worried about it, I don't know how you walk down the street without constantly looking up for falling anvils. Theo Van Gogh did a lot more than post a silly video of Wii Boxing on YouTube. Which is not to suggest in any way that he deserved what happened to him, just that he had for some time nearly made a career out of very publicly pissing of Muslims.

There's probably a higher probability that you'll be killed by radical Muslim extremists in a random terrorist attack than that you'll be killed because of a YouTube video.

EDIT: Ah, didn't see the part where they'd share the info. Still, the rest of my post stands.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Qingu wrote:
    What really freaked me out was that in order for me to contest the infringement claim, I had to supply Youtube with my name and address, which they would then give to the Muslims who wanted my video taken down. Not cool.

It wouldn't be worth the hassle anyway.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    Manning'sEquationManning'sEquation Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Or disgust/repulse them to such a degree, that they all leave, everywhere. All the religious just move out and live on some commune on some backwater plot of land that no one cares about.

1) This means lots of sex and drugs. In public. We need to work hard to incur the image of the sort of social degradation which would precipitate the surrender of the nuts.

2) We need a place for them to go.

It has already happened. The place was America and that is one reason why we are not 100% like Europe.

Manning'sEquation on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited February 2008
    Jinnigan wrote: »
    Youtube should not have removed the offending video.

I've gotten one of my Youtube videos removed. The video showed Ayaan Hirsi Ali beating the shit out of the Prophet Muhammad on Wii Boxing. Some bullshit Muslim group under the name "EOTC Documentaries" claimed copyright infringement and had it removed.

I should really put that back up. Youtube should not pander to the whims of religious fanatics. There have been other instances of Muslims trying to censor Youtube as well.

Actually I'm pretty sure Youtube doesn't really care about who is making what claims, they just bend over and remove anything if a legit-sounding organization demands the video be removed.

This is correct. I've had a video removed due to a 'copyright infringement' claim by someone who wasn't even the copyright holder and who spelled their company name wrong. Of course, to contest it, yeah, you need to give them your name, address, and send them a written document officially claiming that there is nothing copyrighted/everything in it falls under fair use or some such/you hold the copyright. So... blerg.

Aroduc on