As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Monster HDMI Cables: The lies continued?

WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Games and Technology
We all know Monster cables are terribly overpriced, as can be observed here, here, and here.

Now, when you go into a futureshop or bestbuy, and buy any home theatre equipment, the staff will pretty much insist you buy one of these Monster HDMI cables, telling you all sorts of stuff about how other brands just can't compare. With these claims, many people have pointed out that since HDMI is a digital format, there is no way for distortion to occur. There have been several studies proving this, such as one by CBC Marketplace, and others that were posted on the forum before but I can't find now.

Other sketchy stuff with HDMI has come in the form of Futureshop having HDMI comparisons in their stores, claiming to be using monster cables, that didn't actually use monster cables. As well as one in which they compared a Monster HDMI cable to a generic brand composite cable, claiming both to be HDMI. (Again, can't find the source right now, but it has been posted here before)

Now Monster and Futureshop are retaliating with the following websites: Monster Site , Futureshop Site. So, essentially, is there actually a difference between HDMI cables? Or are these sites just a continuation of the lies?

tl;dr: Futureshop/Monster claiming theres a huge difference between HDMI cables, even between those within the Monster brand. Check out the sites at the bottom of the post, is this stuff true, or just the same old garbage they've always been feeding us?

Wezoin on

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I think it's been well known for awhile that Monster products are scams...

20021125h.gif

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    When I went and bought my HDTV this past weekend, the guy who helped me (Best Buy employee) basically said Monster Cables look great but are ridiculously overpriced and not worth the money. Fortunately, I knew that already so it came as no surprise.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    it's pretty daft to say that because a cable streams digital data, it can't experience interference. sure it can - just like digital terrestrial recievers will often have patchy, pixelated spots where the reception is poor. that's digital - that's distortion.

that said, i'd wager the HDMI standard has been designed pretty damn well, and in such a way that unless you wrapped your cable around a big old electromagnet three times between your ps3 and your tv, or something equally profane, you wouldn't get much that could affect the stream. i doubt the materials used in production of the cable itself could make a difference in anything but extraordinary circumstances

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    0blique0blique Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    A lot of these fancy cables out there are just scams. Like those that attempt to justify expensive multithreaded cables because of the skin effect which is extremely prevalent at the kHz range. There's also been lots of stories about people who have replaced other people's speaker wires with an unbent coat hanger. They "victim" doesn't usually tell the difference until it's pointed out to them, whereupon they get very angry.

But with HD cables, there really can't be any differene now that your transmitting a digital signal. Yes, it is possible that really bad cables might introduce reflections or group delay, or might act as an antenna picking up interference or what not, but this will mean that your signal won't be decoded at all (or will just be partially decoded). It won't leave you with blurrier images, and duller colors, you'll just end up with static. You can see this for yourself if you have an HD signal being transmitted over radio. You can use a short, cheap piece of wire as an antenna, and you'll still get a good quality image.

0blique on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/hdmi-cable-battlemodo/the-truth-about-monster-cable-+-grand-finale-part-iii-282725.php

bottom line: Only bother buying expensive cables if you're going over 35 feet from a janky-ass Samsung player and you've already tested the cheap cables and found them not to work.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Blurriness or other things that are more common on the analog side don't happen on the digital side. Noise can happen, though, and that's due to interference. Imagine a string of data and, due to running alongside another cable, a patch of it gets converted to all 1 (instead of 0010101011 or whatever). While error correction is built into most standards, at some point noise will be introduced.

However, this is typically not an issue for most people in most situations. Where it can occur is when you have a long cable that's spooled up and poorly shielded, or where they're running alongside other unshielded cables. And the longer the run, the more interference.

Now, the catch to all of this is that for it to really be an issue you need to have long runs of poor quality cable. MOST cable, even cheap cable, isn't poor quality. I have some audio cable that is fantastic -- supple, strong, well shielded, and avoids getting twisted/knotted. It cost more than Radio Shack cable, but it's definitely better stuff. Monster? Well, it's well shielded but that's about it. And most cheap cable is shielded enough, too, to avoid pretty much all interference.

If you were running HDMI cable around a microwave a few times you might have reason to suspect some interference. But in most home audio setups, you would have to purposefully try to introduce digital noise to the setup.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/hdmi-cable-battlemodo/the-truth-about-monster-cable-+-grand-finale-part-iii-282725.php

bottom line: Only bother buying expensive cables if you're going over 35 feet from a janky-ass Samsung player and you've already tested the cheap cables and found them not to work.

So then there is a difference between HDMI cables then? And that, although the degredation may not be noticeable over short distances, the monster cables are actually of a higher quality, but because HDMI cables are already of a high standard the difference is only noticeable over a very long cable?

Wezoin on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Wezoin wrote: »

So then there is a difference between HDMI cables then? And that, although the degredation may not be noticeable over short distances, the monster cables are actually of a higher quality, but because HDMI cables are already of a high standard the difference is only noticeable over a very long cable?

Actually, towards the end, he mentioned that trying a second 50' from Monoprice got rid of the issue, so the cable was just "bad."

Though how many of us would ever use a 50' HDMI cable is beyond me...

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited February 2008

And also, the device you're sending from makes much more of a difference than the cable you're using. The PS3 has a higher signal strength than that shitty Samsung player they tested with.

But really, always go with the cheap Monoprice cables, and only go with anything higher quality if those don't work.

(sidenote: who needs a fifty foot length of HDMI cable, anyway?)

Daedalus on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I can think of a couple of uses, but they involve someone with lots of money and are very lazy.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Also, if you need absurd lengths of HDMI, don't buy Monster, get something that costs the same and is actually good. In fact, I believe there's some company that makes a HDMI fiber-optic transceiver and cable, and I can't imagine it costing more than the hundreds of dollars that a 50' Monster HDMI does.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    We all know Monster cables are terribly overpriced, as can be observed here, here, and here.

Now, when you go into a futureshop or bestbuy, and buy any home theatre equipment, the staff will pretty much insist you buy one of these Monster HDMI cables, telling you all sorts of stuff about how other brands just can't compare. With these claims, many people have pointed out that since HDMI is a digital format, there is no way for distortion to occur. There have been several studies proving this, such as one by CBC Marketplace, and others that were posted on the forum before but I can't find now.

Other sketchy stuff with HDMI has come in the form of Futureshop having HDMI comparisons in their stores, claiming to be using monster cables, that didn't actually use monster cables. As well as one in which they compared a Monster HDMI cable to a generic brand composite cable, claiming both to be HDMI. (Again, can't find the source right now, but it has been posted here before)

Now Monster and Futureshop are retaliating with the following websites: Monster Site , Futureshop Site. So, essentially, is there actually a difference between HDMI cables? Or are these sites just a continuation of the lies?

tl;dr: Futureshop/Monster claiming theres a huge difference between HDMI cables, even between those within the Monster brand. Check out the sites at the bottom of the post, is this stuff true, or just the same old garbage they've always been feeding us?

I have a seven dollar HDMI cable hooking my PS3 up to my TV, and the picture looks fucking fantastic. Even if Monster made a difference, $190 is not worth whatever that difference is.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You know how much I bought my HDMI cable for?

Two dollars.

Looks beautiful.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I send so many of my customers to Monoprice that they should give me commission.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If someone gets suckered into buying a Monster HDMI cable while purchasing their 1080p capable HDTV (ie: laying down a serious amount of cash), they need to do more research.

Got my 1m HDMI for AU$6.50. Works perfectly :)

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AsherdudeAsherdude Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I was wondering how you could degrade a digital picture by using cheap cables.

Asherdude on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Asherdude wrote: »

Maybe if you were running it 200 feet, through a microwave, cordless phone, and a partical accelerator, then I could see there being a problem.

4 feet from your TV though? Yup, overpriced to hell.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    SophismataSophismata Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You'd need to put some effort into it. Without deliberately trying, it's pretty difficult.

Sophismata on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Raiden333 wrote: »

Two dollars.

Looks beautiful.

I have no use for an HDMI cable and I almost feel obligated to buy that.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Cervetus wrote: »

Two dollars.

Looks beautiful.

Same. :lol:

Polago on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

As others have said, either a long cable length, excessive interference, or both. It's entirely possible, though. Again, repeating what others have said, digital doesn't automatically mean it will work. It also doesn't necessarily mean you'll either get picture or nothing (there are many digital applications where this is true, not sure if HDMI is one of them). I'm pretty sure if the bit error rate gets too high on something like compressed video, you'll often just see artifacting or macroblocking or crap like that.

But yes, Monster HDMI cables are a ripoff. And for a 3' to 4' run, pretty much any cable that isn't actually defective will probably work just fine.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sometimes when I'm at best buy I just want to go around the TV section protesting or something. At least maybe inform the people getting a TV that they don't need to buy monster cables. I wanted to go the quick route when I got my PS3, so instead of ordering online I made the mistake of checking best buy for HDMI cables first. The guy tried to sell me some off brand cables that were SIXTY FUCKING DOLLARS! Unless I'm buying like 500' of CAT5 there is no way I'm paying 60 bucks for some cables. I think the employees just don't know better.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    My favorite is Monster surge protectors with gold plated prongs. If it is gold plated it must be better.

jackal on
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    jackal wrote: »
    My favorite is Monster surge protectors with gold plated prongs. If it is gold plated it must be better.

Gold corrodes less than other commonly used metals. Not that that happens much, the prong connectors are considerably hueg with more surface area than compared to say internal connectors in your computer, where it's not too uncommon to see gold plating. I suppose it would be handy on a boat on salt water. So yeah, pretty much useless.

redhalo on
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    And remember that there's no guarantee that the Monster Cables are even actually better quality. They've got more bullet-point features, but do they really matter when it comes to preventing problems with the digital signal? See: the skin effect.

I think the new scam at the big box stores is to rag on the overpriced Monster cables, and then sell the slightly-less-overpriced house brand as the "cheap" alternative. Paying $60 for an HDMI cable is better than paying $100, I suppose, but it's still a massive rip-off. And of course, the house brand are identical to the $2 monoprice cables... :|

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm surprised Monster cables haven't been dissected at some point so they can be compared to a similar cheap cable. It would be interesting to see the actual design and construction of a Monster cable, and whether it's really that much different.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    for the record I use a 30' DVI to HDMI cable connected to a 6' HDMI to HDMI cable run through the floor of my technoroom so that I connect my PC that's in the corner to my LCD tv that's on the opposite wall.

the cables I used were like $5 monoprice things, and in my field tests there is NO quality difference between my backyard hackjob and the 50' Monster I had the "pleasure" of reviewing.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    mcdermott wrote: »

As others have said, either a long cable length, excessive interference, or both. It's entirely possible, though. Again, repeating what others have said, digital doesn't automatically mean it will work. It also doesn't necessarily mean you'll either get picture or nothing (there are many digital applications where this is true, not sure if HDMI is one of them). I'm pretty sure if the bit error rate gets too high on something like compressed video, you'll often just see artifacting or macroblocking or crap like that.

If the HDMI connection is using HDCP encryption it will be an all or nothing deal.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I just hate Monster Cables because all the fucking shit they wrap around the cable makes it so thick and stiff. And my alternative has the same picture quality, is cheaper by a huge margin, and easier to deal with?

But the masses are so ignorant about cables that they believe anything the guys at Best Buy tell them. I remember browsing the game section and some guy was trying to convince his wife/girlfriend that he needed to get these $80 component cables for his 360. The system that comes with component cables. He said he needed them for High-Def, because the included cables couldn't do that.

Dirty on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Sometimes when I'm at best buy I just want to go around the TV section protesting or something. At least maybe inform the people getting a TV that they don't need to buy monster cables. I wanted to go the quick route when I got my PS3, so instead of ordering online I made the mistake of checking best buy for HDMI cables first. The guy tried to sell me some off brand cables that were SIXTY FUCKING DOLLARS! Unless I'm buying like 500' of CAT5 there is no way I'm paying 60 bucks for some cables. I think the employees just don't know better.

Oh, I can guarantee you they don't. I had a biscuit at Circuit City tell me years ago, with all honesty, that there's a difference between audio CD-R's and data CD-R's.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I have to constantly explain that there's absolutely no difference between the different "types" of CD-Rs. Invariably, I get told that some sales monkey at Best Buy, Circuit City, or Radio Shack told them that there was.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Dirty wrote: »
    I just hate Monster Cables because all the fucking shit they wrap around the cable makes it so thick and stiff. And my alternative has the same picture quality, is cheaper by a huge margin, and easier to deal with?

But the masses are so ignorant about cables that they believe anything the guys at Best Buy tell them. I remember browsing the game section and some guy was trying to convince his wife/girlfriend that he needed to get these $80 component cables for his 360. The system that comes with component cables. He said he needed them for High-Def, because the included cables couldn't do that.

Well, to be fair, he might have gotten a core.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Polago wrote: »
    Cervetus wrote: »

Two dollars.

Looks beautiful.

Same. :lol:

Just bought 2 ...one for 360 one for cable box too the plasma

Hawkstone on
    Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Now, normally, I stay out of these things, but after his female companion walked off, I asked him if he had a Core or a Premium. He had the Premium, and was aware that he already had component cables, but he was convinced that he couldn't get HD unless he payed $80 for new cables.

Since then, I have resumed my previous policy of not getting involved.

Dirty on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I bought the monster surge protector....

On my employee discount it was like $30. I bought it because it has a massive amount of outlets on it, and with about 6 different consoles, it came in handy.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Now, normally, I stay out of these things, but after his female companion walked off, I asked him if he had a Core or a Premium. He had the Premium, and was aware that he already had component cables, but he was convinced that he couldn't get HD unless he payed $80 for new cables.

Since then, I have resumed my previous policy of not getting involved.

Okay, yeah... he's just a goddamn moron.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Oh, I can guarantee you they don't. I had a biscuit at Circuit City tell me years ago, with all honesty, that there's a difference between audio CD-R's and data CD-R's.

Of course theres a difference, 'Audio CDs' are about 25% more expensive.

At my job I flat out tell people that theres no difference and yet they still buy the 'Music CD-Rs' because "They say 'music' on the packaging!"

Last Son on
  • Options
    Resident0Resident0 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I bought my HDMI cable for PS3 for £14.99 and I honestly don't notice the difference between my cable and my friends £49.99 Monster HDMI Gold Plated cable that Comet basically brainwashed him into buying, he still believes that it 'sounds' better and there's glitching on my PS2 Upscaled games that wouldn't be there with his super fantastical mega gold cable...

But meh, whatever, digital is on or off...

Resident0 on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Last Son wrote: »

At my job I flat out tell people that theres no difference and yet they still buy the 'Music CD-Rs' because "They say 'music' on the packaging!"

I always wondered about that shit. The first time I saw them I thought "Audio CD-R?? WTF DOES THAT MEAN" (Office Space reference) and then I'd just buy the regular shit because I figured it had to be a gimmick.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Last Son wrote: »
    I had a biscuit at Circuit City tell me years ago, with all honesty, that there's a difference between audio CD-R's and data CD-R's.

Someone tried to tell me that some CD players wouldn't play music burned on data CD-Rs, but music CD-Rs were designed to work with all CD players.

Back then, I used to have a portable CD player (when your average mp3 player only held like 10 songs). So I took my data CD-R out of my Discman* and popped it in one of the store's boomboxes. Low and behold it played music. Instead of admitting defeat, he claimed that there are dual-mode CD-Rs that are often labled as data, but the only way to be sure you were getting one that would work in CD players was to buy the audio ones.

Okay, it was actually a Philips brand, so not really a Discman, but I always liked the sound of "Discman."

Discman.

Also, I apologize for italics abuse.

Dirty on