As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fez GDC trailer - Awesome indy 2D/3D game

DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Games and Technology
I'm surprised no one made a thread about this yet, this community always seemed very interested in innovative ideas and original (and indy) games:

Fez GDC '08 trailer

Screenshots:
fez_screenshot_2_by_phishy.jpg
fez_screenshot_3_by_phishy.jpg
9d69f4bc91230b7b.jpg

The video simply blew me away. This is what Super Paper Mario should have been.
I've searched all around their website, www.kokoromi.org, but I didn't see any expected release date or even what platform it's for (comments seem to suggest it's for XBLA). Anyone got more infos?

PS: If anyone's just as excited as I am for this game, check out Crush and Echochrome videos if you haven't already.

Djiem on

• Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It looks pretty neat, but the way the rotation flattens everything destroys my sense of space. Still, watching it for a couple minutes vs actually playing it and learning the mechanics are two different things.

Also, why does it look so much like Cave Story? As far as I can tell, these guys don't have anything to do with those guys (the fact that it's not in Japanese is a big clue to begin with) and yet the style is extremely reminiscent of Cave Story's. It's got a little more graphical polish, sure, but the sprites are practically identical.

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Well, I personally don't think that "looking like Cave Story" can be a bad thing. ;-)

As for the sense of space being destroyed, that's what (imo) makes it so incredible.

Djiem on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    That is a good point, actually. It's weird that I saw so many people complaining on Kotaku's comment boards that it was "derivative" and "generic." What's generic about switching between 2D and 3D like this?

freakish light on
  • Options
    SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It looks pretty neat, but the way the rotation flattens everything destroys my sense of space. Still, watching it for a couple minutes vs actually playing it and learning the mechanics are two different things.

Also, why does it look so much like Cave Story? As far as I can tell, these guys don't have anything to do with those guys (the fact that it's not in Japanese is a big clue to begin with) and yet the style is extremely reminiscent of Cave Story's. It's got a little more graphical polish, sure, but the sprites are practically identical.

Its been talked about before.

Just like the reverbs of artists in the renaissance were felt for hundreds of years, the creators of Cavestory pioneered a easy to make, visually pleasing style that has stuck with the indy genre.

Can I steal this OP and put it in the Up and Coming section of my Indie Game Thread Djiem?

Sueve on
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Wow this seems pretty cool, I'm just afraid that it could possibly turn into a game of randomly swappin dimensions until a platform becomes reachable...
    Still though, a lot of potential there.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Kept an eye on this for a long, long time.
    Ever since the first 2d/3d trailer hit the internet.
    I have hopes.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I don't recall this game but it's fez... is familiar..

Looks pretty cool though. More info would be good though. But if it plays like it looks then awesomeness.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Sueve wrote: »

Just like the reverbs of artists in the renaissance were felt for hundreds of years, the creators of Cavestory pioneered a easy to make, visually pleasing style that has stuck with the indy genre.

Can I steal this OP and put it in the Up and Coming section of my Indie Game Thread Djiem?

Well of course, buddy, I didn't get my copyrights yet, steal all you want.

Djiem on
  • Options
    MarkyXMarkyX Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm really surprised this isn't getting more attention. People complained about lack of innovation in games nowadays and here it is!

MarkyX on
  • Options
    SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Djiem wrote: »

Well of course, buddy, I didn't get my copyrights yet, steal all you want.

I've stolen before, and the authors were none to happy.

Sueve on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    this looks neat, i'll keep my eye out for it

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Awesomely plagiaristic.

Serial.

I'll buy it. I'll play it. I might even enjoy it. But it's gonna be on a pure gameplay element, and even that is suspect.
    I'm really surprised this isn't getting more attention. People complained about lack of innovation in games nowadays and here it is!

Where? Certainly not here. Maybe over there...

Sheep on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    wait this is for the 360? i was just kind of assuming pc, i dunno.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    At 0:55 it mentions that R/L triggers and bumpers change the perspective, so I'll assume it's for XBLA.

Djiem on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So I heard alot of talk about this but figured it wouldn't be that special, I mean its an indie game, M I RITE!?

Sorry, I jest of course. I'm actually looking forward to this one and hope it releases across the board so as to make the developers lots of monies.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    Yellow RangerYellow Ranger Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It looks exactly like Cave Story. I mean just like it. Is there a connection at all or did they just adopt the art style?

Because I <3 me some Cave Story.

Edit: Also, that trailer was way awesome

Yellow Ranger on
    sigcx.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Chop'd for relevance.

Also: Cave Story pioneered a way to make all indie games look the same? Great going, Pixel.

freakish light on