As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Garfield is dead?

2»

• Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Most newspaper cartoons are unbelievably shitty, at least around here.

I think Garfield minus Garfield is hilarious and great.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    huminahumina Registered User new member
    edited March 2008
    Imagining the comic without Garfield makes the current strips much more enjoyable. It's sort of like adding "in bed" to your fortune in fortune cookies. When trying to find the original comic associated garfield mius garfield comic I read a lot more strips that are perfect candidates for more photoshopping.

http://oehlberg.com/blog/2008/02/29/garfield/

humina on
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I admit it: I like Garfield. There are better targets for comic hate. My favorite targets?

Family Circus: ...show me one that's actually funny. Really.

Cathy: ...every strip boils down to "o no i m fat but i can't stop eating cake lolololololol"

Wee Pals: If you never come across this piece of tripe in your Sunday comics section, you're lucky. This is an unfunny strip that tries to shove its morals down everyone's throat. There's a place for that, and it's not the comics page.

Blondie: Either Dagwood's stuffing his face or he's being made to look like an idiot by his boss or his wife. Been there, done that.

The comics page has been going downhill as of late. I miss The Far Side, Crankshaft, and especially Calvin and Hobbes. Now THAT was the best newspaper comic, hands down. Bill Watterson is a fucking genius.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Thank you thread for my new sig.

Accualt on
  • Options
    KevlarMosesKevlarMoses Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Unrelated: I think this pretty much sums up the last year i ever even cared about Garfield.

http://catandgirl.com/archive/cghighly.gif

KevlarMoses on
    If you can't get rid of the skeleton in your closet, you'd best teach it to dance.

-- George Bernard Shaw
  • Options
    ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I...I didn't even know most of these comics were still running its been that long since I've looked at a newspaper.

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    Cucco LeaderCucco Leader Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I still read the comics. But, yeah. It's sad that Blondie, Garfield, BC, Family Circus take up the space when new cartoonists are itching to get in. The paper I read just had a thing where they demoed 4 comics and 2 were voted to stay in. Cul-De-Sac and some other one about a duck and a lugworm won. Get Fuzzy, The Flying McCoys, and F Minus get me to laugh pretty consistantly.

Cucco Leader on
  • Options
    ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Does The Boondocks still run as a strip or is it exclusively an animated series now?

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm pretty sure it's still run in Atlanta, but I don't know if it's reprints or what.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    Chris WChris W Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Damn, that 6 strip arc IS depressing.

What the hell.

Chris W on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Is this a "bitch about newspaper comics" thread yet?

FC's spent the last week just showing pictures of snowmen. Whoopie. What really gets me is Stan Lee's Spider-man...oh god, what shit. The dude seriously spends an entire week doing the same strip over and over from slightly different angles and dialog. What would take one comic issue he stretches into about 6 months worth of strips. I can get he's an old dude and probably can't handle much of a workload, but dammit, why does he have to inflict it on the rest of us?

At least we've got newer strips like Booster Rocket and Candorville.

Scooter on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The newspaper Spider-Man is basically Mary Worth in tights.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited March 2008
    I don't think Stan Lee has anything to do with the comic strip anymore, but I could be wrong.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Well, I don't think it has any other names on it.

Scooter on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Scooter wrote: »
    Well, I don't think it has any other names on it.
    Would you put your name on it? Or would you just quietly cash your check at the bank never making eye contact for fear that they would know you where responsible for that crap?

see317 on
  • Options
    NewtronNewtron Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Munch wrote: »
    I still love the Garfield's Nine Lives collection, and subsequent animated version. Davis had plenty of creativity, but fuck, if I had to choose between sitting on my ass and making millions and laboring over a drafting table being creative, I think I know which I'd choose.

Still, check these out: 1 2

I watched that stuff as a kid, thinking it was going to be like the Saturday morning cartoon. I'm pretty sure I was crying by the time it was over.

9 lives is the best Garfield anything, ever. I had forgotten all about that shit too, gonna have to go dig the video i have of it out and rewatch it.

Newtron on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Mr Pink wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it's still run in Atlanta, but I don't know if it's reprints or what.

Everything I've seen has shown it in reprints. Nothing new almost since the show started.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    KevlarMosesKevlarMoses Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Sadly, i do believe that this thread has officially become the "Bitch about unoriginal content in comics/news strips.". Yeah, we all know that Jim Davis is an annoying part of are childhoods, a sell out, and makes millions of dollars paying other people to draw his strip for him.

However, he is still here, and when he dies he will allways be remembered as that one cartoonist who drew a cat who liked lasagna.

And seeing as how unoriginal stuff and Jim Davis go hand in hand, its nice to somehow travel back in time (via the interblag) to remember things like Garfield before it went totally homosexual on everyone.

also, here is some more information on the continuing episodes of "Garfield: what the hell went wrong?"

KevlarMoses on
    If you can't get rid of the skeleton in your closet, you'd best teach it to dance.

-- George Bernard Shaw
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I don't think Stan Lee has anything to do with the comic strip anymore, but I could be wrong.

His son's been writing it for something like 15 years now. I'd expect that Stan would put in some plot input from time to time, but I doubt he has much involvement in what actually makes it onto the page.

gtrmp on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    also, here is some more information on the continuing episodes of "Garfield: what the hell went wrong?"

Not sure I agree with that link. I'm not looking for great depth in my newspaper comics (nor, for that matter, in my Opera Session marked 'comics'); I'm looking for something that makes me laugh (or, at the very least smile). Preferably at the joke the author/illustrator is trying to create -- though I'll settle for laughing at the author/illustrator.

They/He seem(s) to think a great injustice is being done because Wizard of Id is drawn minimally. Because Garfield hasn't actually changed in twenty years. Because BC is vaugely christian? I guess. He's really reaching in that one. It'd help if he wasn't trolling the archives for the odder ones. Though I guess that actually disproves his point - namely, that any attempt to change leads to people crying foul.

Is Garfield funny? Dunno, haven't read it in nearly a decade. Wizard of Id is much the same; I happened across a B.C. shortly before Hart's death, and enjoyed it.

Tamin on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I remember BC being pretty clearly Christian about 10 years ago, when the author was still alive. There would be strips specifically quoting the Gospels or otherwise on the subject of Jesus and God around Christmas, Easter, other holidays that I don't really know, and every now and then one about something like evolution being wrong. As I recall it was more intermittent than vague.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It got pretty damn explicit.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    JasocoJasoco Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    fSymsOGXO6p2t63oN3DE5zXo_500.gif

fSymsOGXO63azq5mGWC47KAR_500.jpg

fSymsOGXO5nwx9cit1ByVOU0_500.jpg

I used to be just like Jon... Then he gave him a girlfriend. Now I'm more pathetic. And I don't have a cat. (Of my own.)

I wish Lasagna Cat would post more. I've watched them all many times.

Jasoco on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Newtron wrote: »
    Munch wrote: »
    I still love the Garfield's Nine Lives collection, and subsequent animated version. Davis had plenty of creativity, but fuck, if I had to choose between sitting on my ass and making millions and laboring over a drafting table being creative, I think I know which I'd choose.

Still, check these out: 1 2

I watched that stuff as a kid, thinking it was going to be like the Saturday morning cartoon. I'm pretty sure I was crying by the time it was over.

9 lives is the best Garfield anything, ever. I had forgotten all about that shit too, gonna have to go dig the video i have of it out and rewatch it.

I can't seem to get the first link to work. Like, at all.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Garfield minus Garfield was in TIME Magazine last week.

Kudos to TIME for actually catching an Internet fad within 5 years of its debut.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Mr Pink wrote: »

He went on hiatus when he started working on the show again, then apparently decided to retire the strip completely. So yeah, if it's still running in the papers, it's just reprints.

Aoi on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ringo wrote: »
    Garfield minus Garfield was in TIME Magazine last week.

Kudos to TIME for actually catching an Internet fad within 5 years of its debut.

Magazines and TV shows won't catch on to these types of things unless they're dedicated to the medium. Even shows like Attack of the Show or a magazine like Wired will miss things. You never know what's going to be a flash in the pan or the next world pwning meme, and not enough resources to really find out I guess. I think AOTS just steals stuff from FARK though.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    gtrmp wrote: »

His son's been writing it for something like 15 years now. I'd expect that Stan would put in some plot input from time to time, but I doubt he has much involvement in what actually makes it onto the page.

Stan Lee doesn't have a son. Maybe you meant his brother (who draws the strip)?

Red or Alive on
  • Options
    Something WittySomething Witty Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I like Garfield because I've never found out whether or not Garfield really talks or if it's simply all in John's head.

That kind of ambiguity keeps me reading.

Something Witty on
    IMWithDentToo.png
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I like Garfield because I've never found out whether or not Garfield really talks or if it's simply all in John's head.

I feel the same way when I see a half finished sentence on a bathroom wall. I just have to keep sitting there and staring at it... hoping somehow the sentence will either finish itself, or I will granted the sweet release of death.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Sentry wrote: »

I feel the same way when I see a half finished sentence on a bathroom wall. I just have to keep sitting there and staring at it... hoping somehow the sentence will either finish itself, or I will granted the sweet release of death.

You're supposed to finish the sentence yourself, traditionally with, "... is a fag."

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Sentry wrote: »

You're supposed to finish the sentence yourself, traditionally with, "... is a fag."

But what if the sentence is "Is a fag..." ?

MIND BLOWING.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Apperently Jim Davis gets a laugh out of Garfield witout Garfield

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/03/AR2008040303083.html

Disco11 on
    PSN: Canadian_llama