As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[LOTRO] Barrovian Society Wanders but is not Lost

• Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Preacher wrote: »
    DrunkMc wrote: »
    Thanks for the info all on not being able to get ot Chapter 2 without doing 1.11.

It's not that I can't find a group, I was just trying to play this game as much as possible without a group. But oh well, I see the LFM 1.11 all the time, I'll just join it up. I was afraid it'd be like a long ass instance that people will drop out of and such, but it sounds like it's a quick thing.

I will check it out.

P.S. A hobbit with a bow, that stabs it's enemy in the eye then shoots them with that arrow is BAD ASS!

It's a bad idea to avoid others, if only because why play an MMO to play solo?

If they had a single player LOTR RPG, I'd be playing that, but this is all that I got. I just wanted it for the exploration and story, not really for the other people part. WoW burnt me out on dealing with other people and end game grinding B.S. My whole plan has always been to explore all I can, single player style, and then quit.

But for a short small group quest, I may make an exception.

So far, in my limited dealings, people have been nicer in LOTR, so that's a huge plus.

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I was about to say that Book 5 isn't really worth the trouble, but the end is pretty awesome so it's worth it just for that. However, once you're done with Book 5 just leave the Misty Mountains. There are so many mobs up there, and nobody to ever group with you're better off somewhere else. Like...Angmar! Lovely lovely Angmar!

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    mrdobalinamrdobalina Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Suds wrote: »
    I was about to say that Book 5 isn't really worth the trouble, but the end is pretty awesome so it's worth it just for that. However, once you're done with Book 5 just leave the Misty Mountains. There are so many mobs up there, and nobody to ever group with you're better off somewhere else. Like...Angmar! Lovely lovely Angmar!

Man, fuck Angmar.

mrdobalina on
  • Options
    InxInx Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So, ah, I've been playing WAR, and while I still <3 that game, I remember playing in the open beta for this, and playing a trial at some point after that, but I haven't been since.

I remember really enjoying the Champion class, but hating the PvP - the concept was cool, but I just couldn't progress.

What's the community like at this point? How active is the PA fellowship?

Yanno, the typical questions.

Inx on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    LOTRO is NOT a PvP game, it's just something you can do for fun every now and again.

I've answered your questions way too often already, but hey. Community is awesometastic, PA presence is small and scattered.

Aldo on
  • Options
    InxInx Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Good to know that the community is good.

I only ever made it to around level 8. After that, how grindy is the PvE? How often is a group needed (not that I'm against groups, but for some reason sometimes nobody wants to play with me. I think I smell.), and I cant remember for the life of me what the level cap is...

Inx on
  • Options
    Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I think landroval is a fairly large server. Me and Preach are on vilya though... and we are totally awesome.

We're in seperate kins though

I swear I just want to leave my kin but like the two dudes who are in it would be sad I was gone. I've been playing my hunter a little as of late got him up to 20. I like the hunters I've seen in moria instances because they are like god on this earth and I know of at least a couple fights its hard as hell without one.

Sorry for quoting something a page ago...

Have you joined the unite chat channel yet preach? I would venture to guess about 90% of the population has that chat channel. It is namely for LFF and some advice type questions. But honestly, I really don't even use my kin, its just a small group of friends. The unite channel helped me get groups early on, and it's fun to chat in sometimes...

BTW the Watcher fight...
    Makes grds feel even more useless.... There is almost NO melee tanking. Usually a hunt can tank the watcher... Frankly, most groups try to do the entire fight with zero melee classes, except for capts of course. Or they'll limit it to 1 per class, just for loot's sake

Brucelee41042 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Level cap is at 60 now. I'm lev22 and I haven't needed to grind anything so far. OK, I did kill more than the bare minimum of insects for the Shell-Breaker title, but that's pretty much it.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Aldo wrote: »
    Level cap is at 60 now. I'm lev22 and I haven't needed to grind anything so far. OK, I did kill more than the bare minimum of insects for the Shell-Breaker title, but that's pretty much it.

Just wait until you get to angmar, do the warg deed. The title you get is wicked awesome

Lord of Fangs

Brucelee41042 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    You know, I wrote my previous post while farming. Farming the profession, which is an optional grind for the masochists amongst us.

Aldo on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I think landroval is a fairly large server. Me and Preach are on vilya though... and we are totally awesome.

I swear I just want to leave my kin but like the two dudes who are in it would be sad I was gone. I've been playing my hunter a little as of late got him up to 20. I like the hunters I've seen in moria instances because they are like god on this earth and I know of at least a couple fights its hard as hell without one.

Have you joined the unite chat channel yet preach? I would venture to guess about 90% of the population has that chat channel. It is namely for LFF and some advice type questions. But honestly, I really don't even use my kin, its just a small group of friends. The unite channel helped me get groups early on, and it's fun to chat in sometimes...

BTW the Watcher fight...
    Makes grds feel even more useless.... There is almost NO melee tanking. Usually a hunt can tank the watcher... Frankly, most groups try to do the entire fight with zero melee classes, except for capts of course. Or they'll limit it to 1 per class, just for loot's sake

What the united chat? I need to know that so I can get some groups up ins. And glad to know as a burg that the meele uselessness only continues. I mean the 16th hall and grand stairs fights were bad enough. Why do mmos do this? There is hardly ever a fight where range is at a disadvantage.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2009

BTW the Watcher fight...

What the united chat? I need to know that so I can get some groups up ins. And glad to know as a burg that the meele uselessness only continues. I mean the 16th hall and grand stairs fights were bad enough. Why do mmos do this? There is hardly ever a fight where range is at a disadvantage.

PM sent. And yeah, at least you have addle, and some tricks like counter defence.... Alls I can do is auto-attack with a craptastic bow, or go into over-power and stagger like there is no tomorrow with a 2hander... While my huge morale pool and mitigations go to waste

Brucelee41042 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yeah I'm glad I stopped playing my guard at 43. And addle is awesome except people forget it also can interrupt so I'm like on a fight where we need one and the guys are like "Ok nidget you addle this guy and uhh crap we don't have an interrupt" its like "Uhh assholes addle is an interrupt thats its primary function" no no we need a champ...

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yeah I'm glad I stopped playing my guard at 43. And addle is awesome except people forget it also can interrupt so I'm like on a fight where we need one and the guys are like "Ok nidget you addle this guy and uhh crap we don't have an interrupt" its like "Uhh assholes addle is an interrupt thats its primary function" no no we need a champ...

Haha, I feel ya. I'm almost positive all classes have some form of interrupt, but only champs can supposedly "do it the best." Sadly, you have to remind them half the time anyways. You should have been in my rift raids, every other word was... clobber.

I like how they have legacies that lower the cooldown on my stamp, and captains kick, or whatever its called. That 1m cooldown sucks hard. But with a trait slotted and some good legacies, I think I can almost get it to 30 seconds, which is manageable

Brucelee41042 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Even I can interrupt, but it takes me spear-shield-spear, which is quite a bit of pure dps and little in the way building threat.

that is assuming I have to tank anything, which is usually rare what with Guardians.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I tell you people wonder what wardens are used for. You guys can take off corruptions with no cool down. Lucky bastards, its also a three gambit so its easy to pull off.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I tell you people wonder what wardens are used for. You guys can take off corruptions with no cool down. Lucky bastards, its also a three gambit so its easy to pull off.
    Wait, which one is that?

Also: we do mad damage and can heal ourselves.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Wait, which one is that?

Also: we do mad damage and can heal ourselves.

You get it in the 50s because prior to that mobs don't have corruptions. Trust me when you get to moria you want it because corruptions are usually either nasty buffs or nasty attacks.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    blindside044blindside044 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    DrunkMc wrote: »
    Thanks for the info all on not being able to get ot Chapter 2 without doing 1.11.

It's not that I can't find a group, I was just trying to play this game as much as possible without a group. But oh well, I see the LFM 1.11 all the time, I'll just join it up. I was afraid it'd be like a long ass instance that people will drop out of and such, but it sounds like it's a quick thing.

I will check it out.

P.S. A hobbit with a bow, that stabs it's enemy in the eye then shoots them with that arrow is BAD ASS!

yea, the epic storyline is pretty... epic. :) You will have at least one group quest every chapter (sometimes more than one). The quests I usually enjoy the most are the group quests so... yea... I'm not condeming you for your play style of choice but from personal experiences, I wouldnt recommend skipping all the group quests you get... they are sometimes al ot of fun and provide a very good and exciting challenge; which you dont really get going solo.

blindside044 on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Bought the game, picking it up tomorrow. Still having fun with the trial. It's crashed again, though...and I have no idea why. Just walking through the marsh, about to chop some wood this time, and bam. Computer restarting. Ugh.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    computer crashig/restarting? hmm... do yo have Anti-Aliasing turned ON? if so, turn it Off. It solved my crashing problem. :) Other than that possible solution, post the problem on the official forums in the proper customer support section and someone might be able to help you out. (dont forget to post your dxdiag, they will certainly ask for that)

blindside044 on
  • Options
    Stevo 22Stevo 22 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I had a really odd glitch today in Forochel where I just... died. Instantly. It wasn't from the cold, either. Sent in a bug report but if it happens again I'm going to cry.

LANDROVAL, anybody? Anybody? Send a mail to RAIUS. Plz.

Stevo 22 on
    "It's do or die." "Hey, I've died twice."
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Anti-Aliasing? I think that was off and I didn't mess with it. I'll make sure, though.

I think the problem wound up being with shadows. I turned off the shadows for the trees and all that, and I haven't crashed since. Of course, now everything looks all flat, but it loads a little faster.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So is there a Moria Trial? Or any trial at all?

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited January 2009
    It should be noted in here that on a new macbook pro, or a mac pro, parallels can totally fucking rock this game.

Everything but surface reflections work, and it works REALLLY fast.

So no need for boot camping, folks with Macs can play this game inside their native OS flawlessly.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Stevo 22 wrote: »
    I had a really odd glitch today in Forochel where I just... died. Instantly. It wasn't from the cold, either. Sent in a bug report but if it happens again I'm going to cry.

Were you up north near that rep area, north of the ship? For some reason, those glacier cliffs are buggy as hell. They fixed most of them, but last time i was up there I tested it out, and died instantly.

Forochel was full of death traps when it first came out. I just thought it was a "feature".

Good thing there's none of those in mori... Oh wait, yeah, thousand foot drops everywhere. Ha, the well in the crossroads is a fun one though.

Brucelee41042 on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've got a really weird graphics glitch that's making my shadows flicker. I'm not quite sure why its doing it, but it happens on all settings. I've tried it on every setting and they still flicker. I've got a beast of a computer and I ought to be able to crank everything to max. I can run Crysis at max so LotrO should be no problem. Not sure why my shadows are wigging out.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    DX10 turned off/on?

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Were you up north near that rep area, north of the ship? For some reason, those glacier cliffs are buggy as hell. They fixed most of them, but last time i was up there I tested it out, and died instantly.

Forochel was full of death traps when it first came out. I just thought it was a "feature".

Good thing there's none of those in mori... Oh wait, yeah, thousand foot drops everywhere. Ha, the well in the crossroads is a fun one though.

Moria has pitfalls but I wouldn't exactly say its glitchy. Though there is a quest line with actual death traps that scared the shit out of me.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    mrdobalinamrdobalina Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Ah, you mean where I was backing away from a mob and fucking fell to my death but discovered the waterworks at the same time?

Good times in Moria.

Also: do not try to jump onto the spiral staircase at the northern end of Durin's Way. No good can come of it.

mrdobalina on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    DX10 turned off/on?

DX10 is turned on, yes. And my video drivers are up to date.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    GalactusGoGalactusGo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Question: I'm thinking about coming back to LOTRO ( I played when it was released for about 2 months) The expansion says it contains the original game as well, so will I have two keys? one for the expansion and one for the original leaving me with an extra key (because I already own the original)

GalactusGo on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yes if you don't buy the expansion solo you would have a regular lotro cd key.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Its still only one CD Key, but gives you access to both games for those that don't have the base game. Also, due to being unable to apply it to an inactive account, I had to make a new one, since otherwise I would have had to pay for month, then apply the code to upgrade. Not that my other account had anything on it that I gave a shit about anyways, its still annoying.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    DX10 turned off/on?

DX10 is turned on, yes. And my video drivers are up to date.

pretty much what I mentioned earlier in the thread. turning off Anti-aliasing might fix the issue. It fixed some flickering, along with crashing when I turned it off.

blindside044 on
  • Options
    BarneyLBarneyL Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Barney, what server are you on? I'm on Evernight.

I'm over on Snowbourne.

BarneyL on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    BarneyL wrote: »
    Barney, what server are you on? I'm on Evernight.

I'm over on Snowbourne.

I was almost on that server, but I decided for Evernight because I saw more Dutch guilds there and I remembered the fun I had in WoW with a Dutch guild. Only I picked an international guild now, so that was silly of me. So uh, yeah, I think i have a lowbie champion on there, I don't feel like playing a second character so far.

Aldo on
  • Options
    Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Its still only one CD Key, but gives you access to both games for those that don't have the base game. Also, due to being unable to apply it to an inactive account, I had to make a new one, since otherwise I would have had to pay for month, then apply the code to upgrade. Not that my other account had anything on it that I gave a shit about anyways, its still annoying.

The payed month(s) would have stacked. So after re-activating/subscribing and entering the Moria code, you would have got +30 days of playtime before the next billing period (at least this is what it did for me).

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Pajama_Man wrote: »
    eelektrik wrote: »

The payed month(s) would have stacked. So after re-activating/subscribing and entering the Moria code, you would have got +30 days of playtime before the next billing period (at least this is what it did for me).

Yeah, but I just didn't feel like paying the $15 for a month immediately. I just don't get why you can make a new account and not pay for a month up front, but you can't upgrade an existing account and apply the 30 free days before it bills you. Just seems sort of silly to me, though its not a big deal.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So is there a new group playing? I've been doing the solo thing, and while I see merit in the game and world, soloing exclusively tends to bore me/burn me out on these types of games pretty quick. Would love a small group of people to play with. Is there a growing group out of the newbs? Any oldie players with a decent guild that wouldn't mind a newb?

Aoi on