As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[LOTRO] Barrovian Society Wanders but is not Lost

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I just got a 2nd age 60 burg sword last night. Cost me 15 freaking gold GOD DAMN YOU SNEAKS!

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So if anyone's tooling around the low-level areas on Landroval, send Endorandir a message, and I'll join up with you. I'm currently trying to find a fellowship for the Iornaith (a.k.a. uber fucking death spider of doom) quest, with not much success.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Bah just level up Triple, then come back and squish that spider into baby bits.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    QuVatQuVat Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Well I'm back in for a few months at least. Over the past week I've leveled a Human champion up to 14. I'm on Landroval if anyone is looking to group up and quest. I'm typically on around 8 or 9pm CST. Send me a tell if anyone is interested in questing together.

QuVat on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Right now I'm playing a Hobbit Warden on Landroval by the name of Rolina. Up to level 15 so far doing nothing but soloing in The Shire.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The shire is one of the best easy zones to level in. Aside from a couple ugly fellowship quests its nice and laid back.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DedianDedian Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have a guardian alt around 13 on Landroval, wandering around the Shire as well (he's my artisan cook... damn prof quest needs me to kill something way above my level) so I might be on as him levelling him up. Halioc is his name.

Dedian on
  • Options
    Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hey Preach, have you made good use of the unite channel yet?

Brucelee41042 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Hey Preach, have you made good use of the unite channel yet?

I haven't been playing much (don't normally during the week days because between cooking and exercise I don't have as much time as I'd like). Though I did snag a 2nd age sword last night from sneaks. SNEAKS! And by snag I mean I outbid his ass.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Simon MoonSimon Moon Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    For anyone on Landroval who's been discouraged by the lack of LFF on GLFF, someone has started an alternate channel called TRLFF which he hopes will act as a less chatty, more productive global LFF channel. I haven't seen it get any use, yet, but I think it's worth a shot. Personally, I have to keep GLFF in its own tab because of all the chatter, and miss useful fellowships (anything in the Trollshaws, I'm looking at you) all the time.

Simon Moon on
    Steam: simon moon
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    That's what sucks about global channels, morons cloud them up. Moria's channels cover the whole zone which is nice, until idiots get in them and won't shut the fuck up.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My friend picked Arkenstone for his character, and I followed him there. No clue if this is a good server or not. Or if anyone has a character there.

Apparently you're all on Landroval. Maybe once I know my way around better I'll start a different race and character there...

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    theconductor221theconductor221 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    hey im a rune keeper on landroval(?) and im level 8, its pretty much awesome right now. hit me up for questin

edit: Im rimalin

theconductor221 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Thanks for the united chat thing Bruce, got a forges run and part of skumfil last night because of it.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Preacher wrote: »
    Thanks for the united chat thing Bruce, got a forges run and part of skumfil last night because of it.

Oh hey, not a prob. If I ever get some time off, you'll see me and sinvorn causing a ruckus in there for prolonged periods of time. It was created by the Vilya Alliance... which is basically a coalition of random small kins that came together to try to tackle some end-game stuff. They're just a giant PUG that tries not to be a PUG. Some nice folks though, and they have weekly runs and junk. I think magnarr and Jeanna run those, so if you wanted to sign up for a laddered run (i hate em), then you can contact them.

Brucelee41042 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Laddered run? And I think my kin got in on the alliance or they were supposed to. I ran with a crew yesterday for skum that was interested in running with me again. I like to think I'm a decent burg despite dying stupidly twice yesterday (aoe cloud poison and third phase of the forges boss cooked my ass for trying to get a rear shot on him).

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Preacher wrote: »
    Laddered run? And I think my kin got in on the alliance or they were supposed to. I ran with a crew yesterday for skum that was interested in running with me again. I like to think I'm a decent burg despite dying stupidly twice yesterday (aoe cloud poison and third phase of the forges boss cooked my ass for trying to get a rear shot on him).

Well, a laddered run is what they used to do for the rift. Because you only got 1 item gem per boss, not everyone walked away with something. So they would have you roll for your position on the ladder. When an important roll came up, and if you were are the top, you could take the item... or pass. If you took it, you go down to the bottom and have to go through the list all over again. If you pass, the next person in line gets a shot at it, and you stay #1.

But now, you can run everyone through and get all the radiance items in a few days. You could only go into the rift once a week. So the DKP or ladder system is kinda pointless now. However, I have heard news of a 12 man instance they are going to add into the next patch. Whether or not they are going to have this "gem" system is totally up in the air. But it seems to me... right now... that these 6-mans are hella easy to get your loot.

So yeah, I don't think they do laddered runs anymore... but they still have signups and crap.

Brucelee41042 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Ahh I see. Yeah I don't mind farming radiance instances, if only so that everyone in a group gets the item. Though I hate how with grand stairs you never do the rest of the instance or even kill the devoted so I have quests I don't know when I'll finish.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    XxReckonerXxReckoner Registered User new member
    edited January 2009
    I've been wanting to try this game for quite a while but never had time, would anyone mind sending me a buddy code so I can try this baby out before I buy it?

XxReckoner on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I'm loving Warden so far, but I recently realized there are a few classes I've never tried. So I rolled a Minstrel last night, and I am enjoying it thus far. Anyone have any input on the other classes? The remaining ones I've never tried are Captain and Champion.

Triple B on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Triple B wrote: »
    I'm loving Warden so far, but I recently realized there are a few classes I've never tried. So I rolled a Minstrel last night, and I am enjoying it thus far. Anyone have any input on the other classes? The remaining ones I've never tried are Captain and Champion.
    Champion is a dps-machine, but their survivability is less-than-stellar. Compared to the Warden at any rate.

Aldo on
  • Options
    Stevo 22Stevo 22 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Aldo wrote: »
    Champion is a dps-machine, but their survivability is less-than-stellar. Compared to the Warden at any rate.

It's all about how you play it, I suppose. I do pretty well on my own and can tank when necessary but I just recently rediscovered a few skills I had and didn't notice they're defensive and/or healing. Ought to make things a bit easier. Also just hit 49, probably going to work towards 50 or 51 before heading into Moria. Anyone there already?

Stevo 22 on
    "It's do or die." "Hey, I've died twice."
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Ah, I never got past lev 12 with one.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Champs get heavy armor at level 20, which does a lot for their survivability. In fact, there's a lot of talk about how Guardians have been more or less made useless by the Block/Parry/Evade nerf that came with Moria. Since Guards are no longer the indestructible mitigation machines they once were, and their ability to manage threat doesn't scale at the same rate that Hunter and Champ DPS does from level 50 to level 60, a fully specced Guard in threat stance can still lose aggro pretty easily. So, since a Champ can survive nearly as well as a Guard, and is putting out enough DPS to overtake a Guard threat management anyway, many groups just choose to run with a Champ tank.

The basic issue here is that most classes do more than one thing pretty well, whereas a Guardian does just one, and the ability to do that one has actually been reduced. There's a similar issue with Minstrels at the moment, but it doesn't seem to be quite as severe in terms of provoking existential angst as with Guardians.

Simon Moon on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Simon Moon wrote: »
    extremely valuable information which has aided in determining which character class I roll next

Wow, I had no idea. Thanks for bringing that up. Champ sounds pretty good now. Always thought Guardians were kinda boring, anyway.

Triple B on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    extremely valuable information which has aided in determining which character class I roll next

Wow, I had no idea. Thanks for bringing that up. Champ sounds pretty good now. Always thought Guardians were kinda boring, anyway.

I guess I can't talk until I've run vile maw several times... But I'm not having any trouble holding aggro in any groups. Instances, or just questing... I can however tell it's harder than before moria... but it's not extremely difficult. But I'm only 57 now. Again, this could just be my playstyle.

The guard is slow as hell to level too. Champ would be right up your alley

Brucelee41042 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

I guess I can't talk until I've run vile maw several times... But I'm not having any trouble holding aggro in any groups. Instances, or just questing... I can however tell it's harder than before moria... but it's not extremely difficult. But I'm only 57 now. Again, this could just be my playstyle.

The guard is slow as hell to level too. Champ would be right up your alley

Well the issue I see with guards is there are some fights where they just don't tank, so on those fights like 16th hall hard mode they aren't very useful in the fight.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Also, part of the issue is that, if a group is running an instance multiple times, say for a particular drop, the Champ's DPS will make clear times that much faster.

Simon Moon on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Also, part of the issue is that, if a group is running an instance multiple times, say for a particular drop, the Champ's DPS will make clear times that much faster.

Definately, though a good guard is worth its weight in slower clears. One of the bigger problems that burgs have is that hunters are way more useful as dps than a burg is. Conjunctions aren't the be end all they used to be.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    At least burgs have other skill sets. But yeah, I'm seeing burgs complain about being left in the cold by the expansion a bit, too. And it seems like no one has any idea what to do with wardens.

Simon Moon on
  • Options
    blindside044blindside044 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    regarding burgs not being looked at... http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=241777&page=2 ...apparently a dev has been assigned to 'look at the class'; as you can see he posted twice on that page/thread.

blindside044 on
  • Options
    GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    so does anyone have a trial key just collecting dust? I had an account but i was thinking of tryin this out again.

Grath on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I have no idea what a warden should be diong in an instance either, normally I just do dps/off-tank. :?

Aldo on
  • Options
    logothesialogothesia Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The problem with burgs from 50 to 60 is that we only get three new (not improved) skills, and they are all 10 minute cooldown final links in our crit chain.

In leveling, a 10 minute cooldown can only be used every 5th pull or so. In grouping, you have to save a 10 minute cooldown for when you need it, which often means it is never used.

Plus, when you need them, you have to 1) get a crit, 2) execute the first link in the chain, 3) execute the 2nd link in the chain. So, they're utility is pretty minimal. I think one's a damage, one's a debuff, and one's a daze, if my memory serves me right. So they have a useful function, but the timer sort of ruins them.

However, after playing my guard I must say that the burg corruption removal is by far the best (second link of crit chain, 30s cooldown, immediately removes all corruptions 100% of the time). So it's not all bad.

logothesia on
    RootworkSummerCampaignBadge.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The best corruption remover is the one wardens have. It's a 3 hit gambit and has no cooldown. And having done skumfil with a warden tank, they tank damn fine even against multiple targets. And they can do solid dps. Hell the warden we had tanking the healer had to ask if he was fighting because his health wasn't moving.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ewwwwwww I just came back to the game after a year or so away, and promptly abandoned all my level 50 dungeon quests, figuring they were obsolete and no one ran the dungeons anymore... and then I read that you still need to do those dungeons if you want your legendary traits...

/WHINE

now I'll *NEVER* have an eagle for a friend :cry:

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    ewwwwwww I just came back to the game after a year or so away, and promptly abandoned all my level 50 dungeon quests, figuring they were obsolete and no one ran the dungeons anymore... and then I read that you still need to do those dungeons if you want your legendary traits...

/WHINE

now I'll *NEVER* have an eagle for a friend :cry:

You can buy the items off the AH. That's how I did it. Only things you can't buy are soloable.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Anyone think it's odd how expensive things are in this game? Maybe it's only because I'm 21, and the money situation ramps up, but 15s to take a horse from Trestlebridge to Bree seems like highway fucking robbery! The cost of mailing stuff is INSANE. Ur paying a couple of silver to send a couple of silver's worth of wood through the mail. And AH prices, u gotta jack everything up by 2 silver if uw ant to put things up on the AH for more then 8hrs.

So expensive. Good thing there are a lot of people out there who seem to power level up skills. I've been making decent money selling wood and ore of levels I've alreayd mastered. If I see it's 500b.o. for a stack of Rowan, I toss mine up for 250s. I didn't even realize I had 50, it sold before I left the AH! I was like WOOOOOOO!!!!!! :-)

But yeah, expensive game. Still, very fucking aweosme though.

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    man, I forgot how hard this game is. mobs have such a big aggro radius and they spawn fast. I'm spoiled by WAR now, where my magus can take on 6 mobs at once and kill them all in less than 10 seconds =p

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    DrunkMc wrote: »
    Anyone think it's odd how expensive things are in this game? Maybe it's only because I'm 21, and the money situation ramps up, but 15s to take a horse from Trestlebridge to Bree seems like highway fucking robbery! The cost of mailing stuff is INSANE. Ur paying a couple of silver to send a couple of silver's worth of wood through the mail. And AH prices, u gotta jack everything up by 2 silver if uw ant to put things up on the AH for more then 8hrs.

So expensive. Good thing there are a lot of people out there who seem to power level up skills. I've been making decent money selling wood and ore of levels I've alreayd mastered. If I see it's 500b.o. for a stack of Rowan, I toss mine up for 250s. I didn't even realize I had 50, it sold before I left the AH! I was like WOOOOOOO!!!!!! :-)

But yeah, expensive game. Still, very fucking aweosme though.

yeah, the economy in this game is strange. the fees do get more bearable as you level up. a lot of things seem way too expensive to buy, but then, on the other hand, like you said, you can sell even low-level crafting materials for a lot of money, so I guess it evens out...

my kingdom for affordable Exceptional leather!

DiscoZombie on