As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[LOTRO] Barrovian Society Wanders but is not Lost

• Options
    AllchuffedupAllchuffedup Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    hehe I knew I spelled that wrong!

If anyone wants to say hi my name's Finian. Dedian has been a big help but I feel bad for bombarding him with my newb questions.

Allchuffedup on
    steam_sig.png
    allchuffedup#1671
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Mother fucking ball lickers.

I love Rivendell, but goddamn how many times do I have to run back and forth across the entire valley for one single questline? :x

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    DedianDedian Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Triple B wrote: »
    Mother fucking ball lickers.

I love Rivendell, but goddamn how many times do I have to run back and forth across the entire valley for one single questline? :x

Aragorn: "Hey could you tell Elrond hi for me?"

Dedian on
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ran the Forges last night, for the second time. My kin is used to doing it some exploity way where you skip most of the bosses, so this time we decided to do it the right way. Turns out no one knew how to kill the other bosses. We spent like 20 minutes on the goblin dude - we kept attacking his trolls. We thought we just had to keep them away from the goblin, but we didn't know it was bad to hurt them and you were just supposed to keep them CC'd or kited or tanked somewhere out of the way -_-

also, keeping something (like, say, a troll) out of commission as a DPS-specced lore-master is not an easy task :O I can only mez for 5 seconds out of every 15... the rest of the time, I was mixing stuns and roots. was definitely good practice though.

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    While it wasn't an instance or anything, I'll just say that Fornost and Dol Dinen can go to hell. I helped a guy and a few others from the Landroval server forums with the fellowship quests from Esteldin for those areas... sooo crazy! I'm used to soloing and taking on at most two mobs at a time, not like 3-4 or more elites. The Fornost quests went fine, it was just the outer quests anyway. We had a 37 or so champ, myself, a 41 captain (makes me want to roll one up, they look fun) and some hunter who randomly ran off to mine ore all the time.

We died so many times in Dol Dinen... Well, we did fine up until the tent at the top. I don't know how we even got up there with what we had, but the tent was way above our heads. We got in once, pulled the guy we needed, but didn't notice the 6 archers sitting behind him. Died, ran back up to the tent. This time, we tried the other side.. same thing, but only the captain died. The rest of us somehow made it back outside of the tent and waitied. The capt said "Hey guys, I'll just run back up, I shouldn't aggro too much.." Here he comes up to the tent, with 13 trolls running behind him. "Guys run!" So, we run back down, training even more trolls. It was a parade of death and destruction. Laughed so hard, I'm glad I'm not ever finishing those quests :D

Dedian on
  • Options
    Anti-SeanAnti-Sean Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I love my cozy little standard sized Hobbit hole, but I've been fishing a lot lately, and I don't have enough room for all my trophies. :(

Anti-Sean on
  • Options
    Simon MoonSimon Moon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dedian wrote: »
    We died so many times in Dol Dinen...

There is a grand tradition of PAers dying in Dol Dinen.

Simon Moon on
    Steam: simon moon
  • Options
    The_MasterplanThe_Masterplan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hey,

A friend of mine and I got this game today, and I was hoping to poke around for awhile this evening. From the last 10 pages of the thread it looks like most of you are on Landroval, I'll maybe try to say hi if I can find you & catch you on, I may have questions heh.

I found the wiki and was gonna comb it and some other stuff.

My favourite classes of all time in any mmo have been the enchanter from eq1, and the bard from ddo & eq1 (eq1 shaman wasn't bad either). Based on that, I was going to try a minstrel and possibly a loremaster. I hope to group as much as possible since I live for dungeon crawls and the whole social aspect of mmo's. I don't particularly wanna know your kids but I like playing games with people, it's more fun than soloing.

Any suggestions are welcome, hope to see you in game.

The_Masterplan on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Hey Masterplan,
    I just started this week so would love to level up with ya. So far the only person I have made friends with around my level is some 16 yo kid who goes emo on me talking about needing depression meds but being too young to take them and how he feels inside... save me!

Allchuffedup on
    steam_sig.png
    allchuffedup#1671
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hey Masterplan,
    I just started this week so would love to level up with ya. So far the only person I have made friends with around my level is some 16 yo kid who goes emo on me talking about needing depression meds but being too young to take them and how he feels inside... save me!
    /ignore emolas

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Aldo wrote: »
    Hey Masterplan,
    /ignore emolas

I think I told him to do that! :)

Dedian on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Well I joined his kinship and they've helped me out some with items. I would feel bad leaving, also I don't even know how to /gquit lol

Allchuffedup on
    steam_sig.png
    allchuffedup#1671
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Well I joined his kinship and they've helped me out some with items. I would feel bad leaving, also I don't even know how to /gquit lol

Oh well that's a little different, but if the need arises, I think it's on the social panel.

Dedian on
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So, I feel my time with this game (for atleast a while) is coming to an end. I took this game on just to get the experience of it, and it's starting to slow down at 26 for someone trying to play this as a Single Player game. It's still the best MMO I've ever played, but, I personally am done.

I was wondering, before I go, I want to see Rivendell. Where is it? I've gotten as far as Trestlebridge and Ost Guruth.

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    blindside044blindside044 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    DrunkMc wrote: »
    So, I feel my time with this game (for atleast a while) is coming to an end. I took this game on just to get the experience of it, and it's starting to slow down at 26 for someone trying to play this as a Single Player game. It's still the best MMO I've ever played, but, I personally am done.

I was wondering, before I go, I want to see Rivendell. Where is it? I've gotten as far as Trestlebridge and Ost Guruth.

wrong way. just follow the road east of the Lone Lands. good luck getting up the hill in the Trollshaws though, many monsters in your way and I dont think you will stay alive at level 26. The first ride into Rivendell is almost breath-taking though... its really a site to see. (Though if you get get aport to Rivendell, it will not have the same awe-inspiring feel to it).

The game, I dont think, is that hard to solo. Maybe as a new player you dont know all the quest locations and thats why you are having difficulty finding them... but... I dunno...

blindside044 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

wrong way. just follow the road east of the Lone Lands. good luck getting up the hill in the Trollshaws though, many monsters in your way and I dont think you will stay alive at level 26. The first ride into Rivendell is almost breath-taking though... its really a site to see. (Though if you get get aport to Rivendell, it will not have the same awe-inspiring feel to it).

The game, I dont think, is that hard to solo. Maybe as a new player you dont know all the quest locations and thats why you are having difficulty finding them... but... I dunno...

Yeah, seriously, I don't understand the drama. I've done maybe 5 or 6 fellowship quests the entire time, and I've made it almost to level 33.

Edit: I've decided, that after finishing up in Oatbarton and moving north, Evendim is my favorite zone so far.

Triple B on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Yeah, seriously, I don't understand the drama. I've done maybe 5 or 6 fellowship quests the entire time, and I've made it almost to level 33.

Edit: I've decided, that after finishing up in Oatbarton and moving north, Evendim is my favorite zone so far.

I love certain parts of the Evendim area. The music in some locations are just so... (I feel slightly gay saying this)... beautiful. Easily the most immersed I have ever been in a game; and I couldnt care less about RPing!

blindside044 on
  • Options
    IslandIsland Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So after lurking in this thread for the last few days, I decided to try LOTRO....

Only to get stuck at the Turbine Download Manager...

It sits at "Please wait while the Tubine Download Manager updates", and doesnt DO ANYTHING. This is frustrating, I've never had this issue with any other MMO update. (Yes my router is configured correctly, no I am not behind a firewall,etc.)

Any one encouter this issue or know of a fix? The interwebs have been less then helpful on this issue.

Thanks

Island on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Well, that's why I took the time to say it's the best MMO I've ever played. It's not the game's fault, i just hate MMO's. :) I just wanted to wander Middle Earth and see what's going on. I'm totally happy in my experience, and before I cancel I want to see Rivendell, even if I have to corpse hop the whole way there. I may come back at a later date.

Thanks for the locale.

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Island wrote: »
    So after lurking in this thread for the last few days, I decided to try LOTRO....

It sits at "Please wait while the Tubine Download Manager updates", and doesnt DO ANYTHING. This is frustrating, I've never had this issue with any other MMO update. (Yes my router is configured correctly, no I am not behind a firewall,etc.)

Any one encouter this issue or know of a fix? The interwebs have been less then helpful on this issue.

Thanks

no idea, but where you able to get a trial key through the download manager? If so, just delete that manager and download the full game through: lotro.com, support, installation, question #1

blindside044 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Thanks

no idea, but where you able to get a trial key through the download manager? If so, just delete that manager and download the full game through: lotro.com, support, installation, question #1

Ya thats the 2nd thing I tried.

I found a special edition LOTR and bought it.... it installed and then tried to update thru the Turbine DM, that didnt work so I thought hey why not try the digital download... so I did, only to run into the same issue.

This is quite frustrating as my free time has already begun and I have yet to play....

Island on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I found a special edition LOTR and bought it.... it installed and then tried to update thru the Turbine DM, that didnt work so I thought hey why not try the digital download... so I did, only to run into the same issue.

This is quite frustrating as my free time has already begun and I have yet to play....

Make sure you roll on Landroval!

Allchuffedup on
    steam_sig.png
    allchuffedup#1671
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Anyone around level 12-ish, I rolled a Captain (Gwaerellas) that I'll probably be playing... Also a metalsmith, so heavy armour 4 u! (well mostly me)

Dedian on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I love certain parts of the Evendim area. The music in some locations are just so... (I feel slightly gay saying this)... beautiful. Easily the most immersed I have ever been in a game; and I couldnt care less about RPing!

Yeah Evendim has been my favorite as well. I think Forochel will be cool (just dinged 44 last night), and Eregion will be awesome from what I've heard.. Angmar.. Angmar you can just implode now thanks.

Dedian on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Yeah Evendim has been my favorite as well. I think Forochel will be cool (just dinged 44 last night), and Eregion will be awesome from what I've heard.. Angmar.. Angmar you can just implode now thanks.

If I was one of the devs, I'd model a B-2 stealth and drop a fucking MOABS on Agamaur post-haste. Fuck that place, fuck everything in it, and I want to publicly tip my hat to the level 60 elven hunter called Lamos for all his help last night. If you're reading this (which I know you're not), here's to you, brother.

Also, is there anyone still playing who's in The Barrovian Society? Anyone at all? I'm interested in getting the kinship back up and running, and I'd like to have officer status transferred to me, or maybe even leader status. I feel like the kinship is my baby in a way, since I helped found it, and came up with the name. I'll take good care of it, and I plan to recruit people on Landroval who would serve the cause well. People like us, you know? Good-natured, helpful, knowledgable, etc.

Triple B on
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    my main is pre-evendim, so I missed the apparent joy of leveling there :(

he is also pre-reputation system, so at level 60 I still don't have enough rep to take the damn horse to northern Angmar -_-

/change_subject

ran Carn Dum last night as a group of 4 60's, because I still needed something for my legendary trait there. Eagle-friend get! That place can be such a cash cow - I don't know why more people don't farm it. Helchgam slime and rune of winged dominance go for 20g+ on most servers, and the other items off the other bosses are usually 10g+ as well. So, like, potential for probably 50g+ worth of auctionable items amongst your group for about an hour's worth of work...

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Those coins mobs drop are a pretty neat extra, guys. (:

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    So I've been doing some digging, and it seems like there is absolutely no way to get in touch with TBS officers who haven't been logged in in months. There's no kinship roster in the OP, so there's no way to know who's who between the game and the forums. Epic fail.

Edit: Messaged flammiebc just for the hell of it. Let's see what happens.

Triple B on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    So I've been doing some digging, and it seems like there is absolutely no way to get in touch with TBS officers who haven't been logged in in months. There's no kinship roster in the OP, so there's no way to know who's who between the game and the forums. Epic fail.

I'll join post haste, post-dead status of course :D ( I should have just remained in the kin... ah well, I never saw anyone on there)

Dedian on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I'll join post haste, post-dead status of course :D ( I should have just remained in the kin... ah well, I never saw anyone on there)

If I can successfully get leadership transferred to me, you and Stevo shall both be promoted to officer. :D

I'll probably take the same approach we all took when the kinship was founded. That being, the "Leader" position is ceremonial, and the whole thing will be a 100% group effort.

I could've sent you an invite, but somewhere along the line, someone decided it was a good idea to demote Edros from officer to kinsman. Ironic, considering none of them have been on in like, over 6 months.

Triple B on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If you're in the Kinship right now, and noone in power has been logged for months, you may be able to get leadership transferred by a GM. Send in a ticket.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Thing is, there are one or two people that have been logged in within the past couple of months. I think the leader was on around 40-something days ago, and a couple of the officers have been on more recently than that. I'll try it, though. Thanks for the suggestion.

Triple B on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Just tried it, and got this from a Senior GM:

"If the leader does not log in for more than 35 days or cancels his or her account, the successor receives a mail indicating the availability of the Usurp option. The successor can click the Usurp button in the Kinship Panel to become leader. If the successor does not usurp leadership within 10 days, all officers of the kinship receive a mail informing them that any officer can usurp leadership. If no officer usurps leadership within 20 days, all members of the kinship receive a mail informing them that any member can usurp leadership. If a kinship goes 65 days without a new leader, the kinship will automatically disband."

The current leader has not been on for 47 days, and the most recent activity by an officer is 10 days. Nobody has usurped the leadership, so I don't know what the hell to do now. :x

Edit: Upon doing some math...12 days ago, the successor should've gotten the mail with the option to usurp. If the icon next to a person's name in the Kinship panel is any indicator, then the successor hasn't been logged in in 223 days. This means, 2 days ago, the officers would've received the mail. The most recent officer logged in was 10 days ago, so that means nobody's been on to receive the message. By my count, that leaves 18 days until a kinsman can usurp. I guess if I don't hear from flammiebc, I'll just end up having to wait the 18 days. Feh. Super gay.

Triple B on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Make sure you roll on Landroval!

Ok so a quick update. I completely uninstalled/reinstalled everything, even going as far as deleteing registery keys... SAME THING. I left it on over night, I check this morning and TADA! it works.

YA ME! I CAN JOIN YOU GUYS...

I rolled a Champion named Adwerd on Landroval... hope to see you guys soon!

Island on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I was thinking about how this game would look in 5 years time and I thought that maybe they wouldn't even be finished with putting all of Middle-Earth online by then. They might even do a graphical overhaul by that time. Kind of mindblowing.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    If everyone from the forums would get in the PA chat channel it would be helpful for those trying to get a PA kinship going.
    type /joinchannel pennyarcade wang 
    to join the chat channel

I haven't been able to find a chatwho command like in WoW to see who all is in the channel D:
    Restarting BS sounds like a great idea. I was disappointed this week when I started and found out it was defunct. I hope you will invite me when it is straightened out.

Btw I think I am switching from warden to a hobbit hunter, names Sproutwig.

Allchuffedup on
    steam_sig.png
    allchuffedup#1671
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    If everyone from the forums would get in the PA chat channel it would be helpful for those trying to get a PA kinship going.
    to join the chat channel

I haven't been able to find a chatwho command like in WoW to see who all is in the channel D:
    Restarting BS sounds like a great idea. I was disappointed this week when I started and found out it was defunct. I hope you will invite me when it is straightened out.

And if he tells you how to do this in game and all you see is "/joinchannel pennyarcade @#$@" turn off your profanity filter in the Chat options :D

Dedian on
  • Options
    SabanSaban Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Where are the quest hubs in West/North Bree land? All i know of is Adso's camp.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Saban wrote: »
    Where are the quest hubs in West/North Bree land? All i know of is Adso's camp.

West of Adso's is the Old Forest.. don't know if that's around your level. Don't think there's one in North bree land - there's a few around the horsefields.

Dedian on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    to join the chat channel

Dude, absolutely you'll get an invite. Anyone who wants one, really. No requirements other than you're not allowed to be a cock. Help those in need when it's in your power, be good to your fellows and your kinsmen, and you're in. :D

Triple B on