Options

[LOTRO] Barrovian Society Wanders but is not Lost

• Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    How exactly do drops work in the game? While I was working on the intro quest I killed a random goblin and it dropped and awesome (for my lvl anyway) unique 2 handed axe. Do most creatures have a chance of dropping something good? I killed some other goblins in silverdeep and one dropped 2 bind on equip earrings.

It sucks to hear that 2hand proficiency isn't very good for guardians, I was going to unlock it at lvl 10 just to use my new axe. :(

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2008
    Man. Elites in this game aren't joking around.

I'm a level 14 guardian with 797 hp. A level 10 elite goblin has 968 hp.

How tough are they? Haven't tried them yet, but it feels like you'd want at least four people in an elite area.

Echo on
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Signatures kick your ass in this game. In a hurry. At least most of them have done me in when I've been unwary or without help.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Wow, I am having alot more fun this time around, not sure if its having a 2-box Minstral Guard combo, or if they raised the number of quests you can have in your journal, but things seem so much easier.

Also, leveling becomes super easy when you keep moving around between racial starter areas. I only did Archet > Combe > Shire > Staddle > Shire > Bree = Lvl 17 in 24 hours /played

I did skip out on the pie and mail quests in the Shire, which seems to help prevent burnout. I also seemed to make a crap load more cash by doing all the extra green and grey quests. By the time I hit 17 I had 400 silver, and thats with me doing a helluva lot of crafting and buying a bunch of recipes on the auction house.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I joined in a dwarf dancing festival when I finally made it out of the starter area and into the real thorin's hall. This game is so awesome. Screw lord of the rings, I was lord of the dance.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I'm done with the prologue stuff and actually got started on Book 1, meaning I'm done in dorf/elf starter land and got to Bree.

Ye gods, is this game pretty. <3

Echo on
  • Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So I've been messing around with the different race/class combinations, just to find something that appeals to me straight from the get go, and holy SHIT - the elf starting quest was a lot of fun. Very short, but definitely better than the human "save the hobbits" crap.

Too bad Elves can't be Captains, like I've already said. Does anyone play a Champion or have any experience with them? I can't bring myself to play another tank after WoW, and the Lore Master doesn't really appeal to me as a cc/pet class, so it's pretty much down to the Hunter and Champion. Any advice is welcome advice.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hunter is more like 'Oh my god single target DPS ftw' with low survivability (medium armor, meh), but easily the most DPS oriented.

Champion is a little bit less on the DPS ladder, but with more survivability (heavy armor) while being more AOE centric.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I have hilarious amounts of metal ingots now. Too bad I can't actually start crafting armor since we're still on trial accounts. :P

edit: and while the Guardian is a tank, I sure don't feel like one when soloing. I just smash away with axe and shield.

Echo on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Gathering trinkets in the Barrow-downs at level 13 is not a good idea.

I'm on as Campips right now; I'm no longer in the Barrovian society and didn't have anyone on my friends list though. Is the guild still together?

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Morskittar wrote: »

It wasn't much more fun at 16. :P

I randomly blundered into Old Forest and then Barrow Downs. Found Lalia for the quest and tried it on. "Oh hey, this is easy... wait, what just gave a ton of dread AAAAH THEY'RE COMING FROM THE GROUND"

Echo on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

I'm on as Campips right now; I'm no longer in the Barrovian society and didn't have anyone on my friends list though. Is the guild still together?

Not really, but sign on to our pennyarcade channel.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    Simon MoonSimon Moon Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Echo wrote: »

It wasn't much more fun at 16. :P

I randomly blundered into Old Forest and then Barrow Downs. Found Lalia for the quest and tried it on. "Oh hey, this is easy... wait, what just gave a ton of dread AAAAH THEY'RE COMING FROM THE GROUND"

One of the things I truly love about this game is its ability to do stuff like that. Like, there's this quest to find a Hobbit's lost pack somewhere in west Breeland. It's something like a level 15 quest, I don't really remember. Anyway, the pack is found pretty much just outside of a giant's lair. So, I'm leveled in my mid teens, and I see the glowing of the pack, and I start towards it, and then I see this great lumbering hulk, and it's level 30 or something (at that kind of disparity, it didn't really matter much), and I'm all "So this is it, I'm going to die."

Simon Moon on
    Steam: simon moon
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Funnily enough you'll get a quest to kill him in your high twenties, gives good rewards.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I am really adoring the graphics in this, although it results in some interesting character creation screen vs. in-game character disparities. I was trying to roll an elf earlier and thinking, "wow, the female elves are just.... not really very attractive at all, are they?" Finally settled on one provided by the randomizer, got in-game and.... huh. Much, much better!

My computer slows down to single-digits fps if I set the graphics past Medium, but I like to go Ultra-High for screencaps in pretty places, and wow. It sure is lovely in here.

sidhaethe on
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So I was getting pissed off that every time I logged in the launcher it told me to "Buy it now!" even though I have upgraded my account using a cd key.

So I shove the disc in the drive and run the installer thinking that somehow this will fix the problem. 2 Hours later and the things still downloading patches, WTF patches does it need when I was playing it yesterday? D:

And to top it off, the launcher is still telling me to "Buy it now!" as I wait for the thing to download and let me play some MMO on my day off.

Ah well I guess I'm getting some reading done so it's not all bad, just a bit baffling.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    It is unpossible to make a good looking male elf, or a male human who doesn't have the waist of a high-fashion model. These two things make me very sad.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So I'm going to do this 7day trial thing. Lore masters sound interesting but are they worth a damn for solo play? I like playing in groups but I don't want to be dependent on it.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You can unlock new hairstyles at level 20. My elf doesn't look so bad now.
    ScreenShot00002.jpg

ScreenShot00031.jpg

I'll take a closer shot after work.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Got a nifty helmet from a Guardian class quest at level 15.

headbutt.jpg

I also unlocked a racial trait, Headbutt. Now I need to find something to headbutt with that helmet. :winky:

Echo on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    So I'm going to do this 7day trial thing. Lore masters sound interesting but are they worth a damn for solo play? I like playing in groups but I don't want to be dependent on it.

Being able to mez is useful of course but you won't exactly be burning though mobs with your dps. I was just talking to an altaholic in my kin and he was on his hunter and mentioned how much easier it was than his main, a lore-master. For whatever that's worth.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Dwarves get a headbutt? Rolling Dwarf Champion tonight when I get home.

Suds, that's good to hear, because those default hairstyles are ass-tastic.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Actually... you don't get any new hairstyles, at all. They made them available from the beginning I'm pretty sure, only thing you can do with the barber would be to give yourself a second detail. They put new styles etc in, the barbers are there for already existing players.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Just did Book 1, Chapter 11. Holy shit. I wish I just stuck with this game instead of getting too into the music system. Of course, now that the music system is fucking retarded, it shouldn't be a problem to hold my attention.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Being able to mez is useful of course but you won't exactly be burning though mobs with your dps. I was just talking to an altaholic in my kin and he was on his hunter and mentioned how much easier it was than his main, a lore-master. For whatever that's worth.

I'll second that. I'm also an altaholic, to the point that I don't so much have one main and several alts, but 5 characters of relatively equal priority. Of the 5, I'd say the lore master and burglar are the two hardest to solo. At least the LM has the pet to tank for them a little bit. The burglar has to sneak up and get a nice big crit from hiding before the thing notices her in order to have a reasonably quick and survivable fight. Not that it's not POSSIBLE to solo them, it's just a bit slower and you have to be a bit more careful in choosing your targets.

Nerissa on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    The Sneak! wrote: »
    Just did Book 1, Chapter 11. Holy shit. I wish I just stuck with this game instead of getting too into the music system. Of course, now that the music system is fucking retarded, it shouldn't be a problem to hold my attention.

What did they change?

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    He's probably talking about the ABC system - just download a file with notes, save it in the right directory, play it from within the game and you're an automated jukebox.

People who play live still get filled notes while ABC files get hollow notes.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    And now I'm starting on my third stack of barrow-iron ingots. WTB retail version. :P

Echo on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Nerissa wrote: »

I'll second that. I'm also an altaholic, to the point that I don't so much have one main and several alts, but 5 characters of relatively equal priority. Of the 5, I'd say the lore master and burglar are the two hardest to solo. At least the LM has the pet to tank for them a little bit. The burglar has to sneak up and get a nice big crit from hiding before the thing notices her in order to have a reasonably quick and survivable fight. Not that it's not POSSIBLE to solo them, it's just a bit slower and you have to be a bit more careful in choosing your targets.

I've got altitis pretty bad too, and, while I agree with the notion that loremasters have a hard time soloing (well, a slow time, at any rate), my hobbit burglar made it to 22 pretty easily before Brandywine came down with the flu and I decided that that was as good a reason to switch to Landroval as any. In fact, so far, burglars are the only class I've had any luck soloing fellowship quests without resorting to waiting until the quest goes green or grey.

But it does take juggling. Most other classes, I have my skillbar set up so that most fights go "1, 2, 3, repeat until dead." The burglar, on the other hand is more like "8, sneak sneak sneak, 1, ctrl-1, 4, 5, 2, 3, tab, ctrl-2, tab, 4, chase the stupid goblin, 2, 3, go back to the mezzed goblin I left behind, repeat steps 5 though 8 until dead."

Simon Moon on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    And now I'm starting on my third stack of barrow-iron ingots. WTB retail version. :P

you know the ore is worth a gazillion times more than ingots, right?

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Wren wrote: »

you know the ore is worth a gazillion times more than ingots, right?

I think he's actually wanting to USE it to make armor, he just can't get the leather parts because he can't do a trade on a trial account.

Nerissa on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    well then maybe he should constantly switch vocations

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Simon Moon wrote: »

I've got altitis pretty bad too, and, while I agree with the notion that loremasters have a hard time soloing (well, a slow time, at any rate), my hobbit burglar made it to 22 pretty easily before Brandywine came down with the flu and I decided that that was as good a reason to switch to Landroval as any. In fact, so far, burglars are the only class I've had any luck soloing fellowship quests without resorting to waiting until the quest goes green or grey.

But it does take juggling. Most other classes, I have my skillbar set up so that most fights go "1, 2, 3, repeat until dead." The burglar, on the other hand is more like "8, sneak sneak sneak, 1, ctrl-1, 4, 5, 2, 3, tab, ctrl-2, tab, 4, chase the stupid goblin, 2, 3, go back to the mezzed goblin I left behind, repeat steps 5 though 8 until dead."

Hmm... I'm going to have to work on a bit of strategy with my burglar, I think. I've got the shift and alt skill bars locked open so I can see all of the skills I'm likely to want to use, I suppose I should re-read them all and think critically about how best to take advantage of them. Also, having a weaponcrafter available to keep me in stun dust and marbles is nice. :D Too bad they've got such a long refresh time.

Nerissa on
  • Options
    veritas1veritas1 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

O_o

This just makes me want to start a burglar!

veritas1 on
  • Options
    veritas1veritas1 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I hadn't checked the thread in a few days, mostly because I've been playing the game pretty hardcore lately. Been having a blast.

So, I'm not sure what's going on with any official PA kinships, but it seems like nothing is happening. Thought I'd throw out another invite to anyone who wants to join a kinship to join mine, The Flame Imperishable. We have about 4 PAers including myself now, as well as a bunch of friends of mine and random people we grouped with and thought were cool. Send me a tell in-game if you're interested. Name is Anaborn or Janus. This is on Landroval server.

Someone was asking for some cool armour screenshots before, so I've been taking some of cool looking people I've seen. I'm not sure if they're sets or what, but here's a few characters that I thought looked cool. These are NOT my characters, I don't look anywhere near this coordinated.
    ScreenShot00176.jpg
    ScreenShot00177.jpg
    ScreenShot00180.jpg

Here's a few more screenies for fun.

Shire Spring festival drinking quest. My eyes!!!
    ScreenShot00163.jpg

Aulin (PAer) and I in the Prancing Pony. Gotta love captains.
    ScreenShot00170.jpg

Clearing the Great Barrows this weekend.
    ScreenShot00172.jpg
    ScreenShot00173.jpg

Aaaand... my awesome new eyepatch I got from an anonymous admirer!
    ScreenShot00182.jpg

veritas1 on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    What level is the Shire? I have yet to visit apart from briefly going to Brandywood to hand in quests from Bree. Might go farm some deeds there if it's at my level or lower. (I'm 17 now.)

Echo on
  • Options
    sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    In the Shire I've been finding low-level quests (I'm assuming the quests the Hobbits would have to take in their earlier levels?) - like level 10 quests, so I'd say farm away, carry some mail, listen to some Hobbit gossip for easy xp.

sidhaethe on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    For those on Landroval, what're your names? I need friends. Special friends.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    You know, you could always just hang out in the PA chat channel, and befriend everyone whose name pops up.

Simon Moon on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    You know, you could always just hang out in the PA chat channel, and befriend everyone whose name pops up.

Oh, right... that.

Logic.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg