As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Deadlands Help

InxInx Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Critical Failures
Hey guys, I have a problem you can most likely help me with.

I'm about to run a Deadlands: Reloaded game tomorrow, but I don't know where to start.

The part is a Huckster, a Voodoo Houngan (Blessed), a Chi Master, and an ex-military gunslinger.

So far I'm thinking about using the railroads, but I dont know anything beyond that.

Inx on

• fissionchipsfissionchips Registered User new member
    edited February 2008
    Do they know about each other's powers? Have they previously met?
    Whatever the case, i'd recommend picking a small to medium sized town with a problem to unite them or just throw them into the fire and have them on a gambling riverboat/maze runner that wrecks. Let the games begin, Muahahhaa!

fissionchips on
  • InxInx Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The Huckster and the Houngan know each other - they're carry overs from a one shot I ran a year ago. The other two, I dunno - the players haven't discussed it.

I forgot about riverboats, though. Good alternative to a train. Maybe the riverboat gets held up, and then shit goes down...hmmm...

Inx on
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Chi Master, to me, would suggest California as the best place to start, though obviously Chinese rail workers will be readily found elsewhere.

Riverboats really wouldn't fit the Chi Master, though. Why would an assumedly-poor Chinese immigrant be hanging out on a riverboat? Trains in the inner states or pirate junkers and/or ghostrock mines in California are probably your best bet.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, the Chi Master's backstory is she was a rail worker, so she can be placed just about anywhere - if she were on the riverboat, it would likely be as a stowaway or hired hand or something, but I feel like I'd have to railroad that.

Meanwhile, one of the players wants me to start it on a train so he can make a "Oh man, here comes the metatrain" joke.

Inx on
  • fissionchipsfissionchips Registered User new member
    edited February 2008
    Ok, so the Huckster and the Houngan are on the Miss. Gamblin boat earning some winnings. They're bound for Nawlins. The ex mil guy can be working security and the Chi Master could be in the kitchen (depending on her secondary skills). Then something horrible goes down...

*shameless plug* I have River o' Blood in my ebay sale incidentally. Different rules, but some great story hooks nonetheless.
    Fissionchips' Deadlands Ebay Lot

fissionchips on
    edited February 2008
    Agh, goddamnit, the Chi Master wants to CURRENTLY be a rail worker. This could be bothersome...

Inx on
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Inx wrote: »
    Agh, goddamnit, the Chi Master wants to CURRENTLY be a rail worker. This could be bothersome...

Easy. Someone is stealing explosives/tools/whatever. Rail Company hires the party (who is in a major city) and sends them out to investigate. The local boss assigns Chi Master to them because he is one of the few Chinese that can talk good American.

However, the heroes are taking too long, and so the "Big Bad Rail Company" accuses the rail workers of taking them for black market sale or for their stupid fireworks, mostly as an excuse to have fun shooting at/hanging them squinty-eyed ferners. Mr. Whitey (the boss) forms a posse who gets drunk and rides out looking for Chinese to shoot. They spot Chi Master coming back to town with the party and try to gun him down. He fights the posse off, most likely killing one or more of them (if all else fails, one of them falls off his horse after getting knocked out and breaks his neck). Now Chi Master is wanted for murder and the rest of the party is wanted for being accessories.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23