As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

If you spoil [Iron Man], Elki will probably make out with you

• Options
    Brian888Brian888 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Scooter wrote: »
    The suit is pretty powerful though, I think the combo of the two make him about level with Superman.

Unless Superman has been whacked with a nerfbat that I don't know about, not really.

Brian888 on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    He can take on pretty much anyone but Hulk (who's stronger than Supe) and Thor (who's about even). So maybe he's a bit behind but he's definitely in that class.

Scooter on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    He can take on pretty much anyone but Hulk (who's stronger than Supe) and Thor (who's about even). So maybe he's a bit behind but he's definitely in that class.

Hasn't Iron Man punched out the Hulk at least once?

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008

Actually, at the end of Civil War
    Doesn't Stark drop the Hulk by interfacing with some orbital weapons platforms?

Also, I'm pretty sure he has "Hulkbuster" suits for a reason.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    The Hulkbuster suits always lose. He did punch out the Hulk once but that was a weaker version of the Hulk, and it completely shut him down to do it.

Scooter on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Forar wrote: »
    Also, I'm pretty sure he has "Hulkbuster" suits for a reason.
    I'm pretty sure a number of agency have had various Hulbuster X.

Hulk still mad.

Quid on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Is Planet Hulk done with? That's was pretty amusing I should go find out how that ended.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    World War Hulk is also done. Not sure when the third part of the "trilogy" starts off.

Scooter on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2008
    Hasn't Iron Man punched out the Hulk at least once?

Did he have time to prepare?

Ow, stop hitting me

Echo on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Using the Hulk as a basis is hard because his strength level while always extremely high fluctuates so much depending on how angry he is/what the writer wants to do.

That said, Iron Man is easily one of the most powerful heroes in the Marvel U.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Yea, I think the basis is that, normal Hulk who just turned from Bruce is weaker than Supes, but when he's angry he's stronger than Supes, and he has no actual upper limit.

Scooter on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2008
    I really like how they developed him in Planet Hulk and WW Hulk. It went from "RAAAH SMASH" to the same anger (or even more, given how Planet ended) but super-focused instead of just lashing out at the nearest thing.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    just being HULK SMASH is the popular perception of him, and he is sometimes portrayed that way. But Planet Hulk and WWH are hardly the first time he's been given depth.

Peter David's run on The Incredible Hulk is definitive for a reason.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Iron Man just needs to make a Kryptonite suit like he did his Thorbuster one and he's good to go against Superman.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    If Luthor can stand up to Supes in that silly green battlesuit, I don't see why Iron Man wouldn't be able too.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Forget Superman though. The real question to ask is, could Iron man beat Batman?

And the answer is no. Nobody beats The Batman.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Isn't Iron Man basically Batman but with a more winning personality and super-lasers, though? I think he could take Batman.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    NewresNewres Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Forget Superman though. The real question to ask is, could Iron man beat Batman?

And the answer is no. Nobody beats The Batman.

If Batman has time to prepare he always wins.
    We also know that Batman is always prepared for everything so surprise does not work.
    There are an infinite number of things for which one can get prepared.
    To prepare for something, implies that the preparation takes non-zero amount of time.
    As he is prepared for everything therefore implies he spent an infinite time by doing so.

In conclusion: Batman is the Master of Time

And Master of Time > Man in the Armor with Extremis powers ;)

The solution: Get a time machine and stop his parents from getting shot: Batman defeated.

P.S. Fictional character fights between different universes are stupid. Hell it is stupid in most comic universes as it fluctuates depending on the story and the writer anyway.

Newres on
    960751-1.png
  • Options
    MikeMcSomethingMikeMcSomething Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It's all so rediculously subjective & dependent on whoever happened to be writing at the time - You have stories where Superman literally tells the elements to fuck off, and disarms an entire nation (For Tomorrow) and moves so fast he basically teleports across a city while batman is mid-sentence (B n' S: SuperGirl), and stories where he can't cover 4 feet in the time it takes someone to pull a trigger (B n' S: Absolute Power) On the flip side you have Hulk getting knocked through buildings and almost being fought to a standstill in Ultimates 1, and you have him smacking the ground so hard in Ultimate Power that he literally causes a sonic boom.
    Generally comic book comparisons tend to fail for that reason, especially when you do the DC/Marvel thing. For another example, there is a JLA arc where the very objective defenition of truth unravels when Wonder-Woman gets her lasso snapped, and you have another arc within 6 months where someone snaps the lasso, and she goes on fighting like it's no big deal.

TLDR - Comparisons fail because editors don't hold stuff like power levels to any common standard
    Edit: Newres made a more concise version of my point

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    For another example, there is a JLA arc where the very objective defenition of truth unravels when Wonder-Woman gets her lasso snapped

That is so zen. I need to think about that for a while.

Hachface on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Iron Man has a winning personality? Every comic I've read of him has him being a relative, self satisified and relatively smug douche.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    You haven't read many Iron Man comics then

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Iron Man has a winning personality? Every comic I've read of him has him being a relative, self satisified and relatively smug douche.

He gets all the women, stuff, etc. etc.

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I pretty much limit my inter-universe comparisons to Superman vs. Hulk/Thor, since those are the standards I've heard "official" company statements about. So you can compare how Iron Man does against Thor and how Supe does against Luthor and kind of compare Iron Man to Luthor that way...but it does get a bit pointless.

If you tried to find equals for DC's Trinity, you'd probably get Cap, Iron Man and Ms. Marvel, but there's probably more differences between them than simularities. Supe is more pro-government in DC, Cap is a rebel. Batman tries to be a myth, Iron Man is probably the most well known hero in Marvel Land.

Shit, the more I think about it, Iron Man is probably Supe's analog and Cap is Batman's.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Ms. Marvel, as much as I love Carol Danvers is in no way part of any Marvel "Big Three" despite the massive push they have given her since House of M.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    NightHawk and Hyperion!

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Ms. Marvel, as much as I love Carol Danvers is in no way part of any Marvel "Big Three" despite the massive push they have given her since House of M.

She's the biggest female character right now. She's leader of the Avengers, whenever IM's not pushing around. So as of Marvel right now I'd say she's the closest to WW there is.

And I became a big fan of her in HoM so I'mma say she is anyways.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Cap, Iron Man, and Thor have traditionally been the "big 3" in the Avengers pre-Dissassembled. Nowadays with 2 seperate teams and such drastic lineup changes it's harder to say. There really aren't any Marvel characters analagous to the status of DC's holy trinity.

If we are taking popularity alone, then Marvel's "Big 3" suddenly becomes Spider-Man, Wolverine, and Hulk.

And yes they are pushing Ms. Marvel hard as "the most important woman in the Marvel universe!" right now, but I'm pretty sure her solo series (which I do read and enjoy) sells worse than She-Hulk's solo book.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Well if we're talking popularity, I don't think even WW counts as part of a trinity.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Wonder Woman is certainly not on the level of the other 2, but her longevity and mainstream relevance are enough to justify her in that regard.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Why is there even a trinity? When I think "Popular DC Characters" a good chunk of the JLA springs to mind : Lantern, Manhunter, Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman are generally considered the DC's holy trinity due to thier longevity, mainstream appeal, and status within the DCU.

Although you're not wrong, since the term "Big 7" is often used to describe the traditional core of the JLA (Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter, Aquaman)

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Yea, when they formed the new JLA, it was the Trinity who decided on all the members. They've got status.

In Marvel it was Iron Man and Ms. Marvel who decided on the new Avengers...I guess until Bucky grows into it Cap doesn't really fit right now into the analogy.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I thought Manhunter helped decide on the roster, since he is Manhunter

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Yea, when they formed the new JLA, it was the Trinity who decided on all the members. They've got status.

In Marvel it was Iron Man and Ms. Marvel who decided on the new Avengers...I guess until Bucky grows into it Cap doesn't really fit right now into the analogy.

They picked the Mighty Avengers. Cap and Iron Man (and fate) picked the New Avengers.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    The Mighty Avengers are newer than the New Avengers, is what I meant

Scooter on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I've only read the two trade paperbacks that collect the first 10 or so issues of the new Iron Man series, but my only beef with the Extremis thing is that his "technopathy" as someone else put it just makes him so ridiculously uber powerful, including a healing factor. Heroes that are too powerful make for boring stories. At least, IMO. It's why I never read Superman, and one of the many reasons The Matrix sequels sucked.

VoodooV on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    VoodooV wrote: »
    I've only read the two trade paperbacks that collect the first 10 or so issues of the new Iron Man series, but my only beef with the Extremis thing is that his "technopathy" as someone else put it just makes him so ridiculously uber powerful, including a healing factor. Heroes that are too powerful make for boring stories. At least, IMO. It's why I never read Superman, and one of the many reasons The Matrix sequels sucked.

Yeah I've decided to ignore that, because it's kind of retarded.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    edited March 2008

It'd be more of a problem if Iron Man wasn't getting his ass kicked in at least four books a month. A lot of people have been taking out their Civil War/Hulk related stress on him.

Scooter on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Derrick wrote: »

Yeah I've decided to ignore that, because it's kind of retarded.

If they dialed it back a bit to Bloodshot levels, "talking" with machines that are nearby to convince them to do what he wants instead of "immediate access to every machine everywhere ever", then it would be a bit better.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.