As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

network card issue

sushiboysushiboy Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Games and Technology
I have a Gateway E3200. The onboard NIC blew so I just put a 3com PCI NIC in there. Now when it starts to POST, I get

ERROR Expansion ROM not initialized - PCI Network Controller in Slot 03 Bus:00 Device:10 Function:00

I have tried putting it in another slot, but get the same error. The thing is, the network card DOES work. I can get online using it no problem. I can get past this error simply by hitting ESC, but I am going to sell this system soon, and I would rather it not have, or at least not display, any errors. The Gateway manual of course has no information regarding this issue in the troubleshooting section. What is up with this and how can I get this error to go away?

Wii - 5850 0852 0940 2934
AC:CF - 1032 4742 8889
PM me if you add any of my codes
sushiboy on

• InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    At a random guess I would say you should try going into your BIOS settings and making sure that the onboard network thingy is disabled, since even though it blew the system will probably continue to try to use it and that might be causing a conflict with the network card. Also, check if there's any PCI slot settings that might be making it cause a conflict.

Interpreter on
  • sushiboysushiboy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    try going into your BIOS settings and making sure that the onboard network thingy is disabled

Unfortunately the BIOS does not give me the option to disable the onboard NIC. I can disable the onboard audio, but not onboard NIC. Weird.
    check if there's any PCI slot settings that might be making it cause a conflict

There doesn't appear to be...

sushiboy on
  • CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    sushiboy wrote: »
    try going into your BIOS settings and making sure that the onboard network thingy is disabled

Unfortunately the BIOS does not give me the option to disable the onboard NIC. I can disable the onboard audio, but not onboard NIC. Weird.
    check if there's any PCI slot settings that might be making it cause a conflict

There doesn't appear to be...

I would bet that it's a conflict with the onboard NIC. Even though there is no option in the bios there may be a jumper you can switch on the motherboard to diable the onboard NIC. All the jumpers and what they do will be show in a diagram in the motherboard manual.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
    edited February 2008
    According to Intel, you can determine what motherboard you have by the BIOS version number (4J4NBOX1.15A.0019.P11). Unfortunately, they dont tell you how. Anyone know where I can look this up? I cant seem to find a jumper for the onboard NIC anywhere. I tried searching under the number stamped on the mobo, but several different, and definitely not my, motherboards come up. (Number stamped on board E139761)

sushiboy on
    edited February 2008
    There is something on the board that says "MB LAN Y N Y N". I would assume these are jumper or switch settings, but I cant seem to find the darn things anywhere.

sushiboy on