As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

STALKER issue

The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple,unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
edited March 2008 in Games and Technology
I just bought this game, and started up a new game

I am in the fat guys office (right at the very start) and have gone through the tutorial stuff.

He talks about some guy with a flash drive he needs, all well and good

But the fucking door is locked, I can't leave the room, I talk to him again and again, I buy bread off him, it doesnt matter.

help please

The Black Hunter on

• MasoniteMasonite Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I had the same problem on my first runthrough, but it didn't present itself until after I had completed that first mission. Have you downloaded and installed the latest patch? If so, try starting another game, I'm pretty sure it's an inconsistent bug. If it persists though, you could try searching through one of the dedicated forums. It's common enough that there should be a solution somewhere.

Masonite on
  • 043043 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Sid's bunker door stuck closed ?

1) Download this.

2) Extract the contents with WinRar.

3) Copy 'gamedata' folder over to your main STALKER directory, which is the 'S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl' found under Program Files or Common for Steam, so it appears like:

THQ\S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl\gamedata\config\scripts

This should fix your problem.

That said, I just bought STALKER and after a few missions I'm trying to get into it. It's so different from any FPS I've played, it's so overwhelming and atmospherically terrifying.

I really want to mod the weight and accuracy issues, to shift the balance (and lack of a checkpoint system) more in my favor.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Bah you are supposed to be scraping by on the skin of your teeth. Makes it more rewarding when you start getting some bad ass stuff and begin kicking ass.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Accuracy is fucking terrible though

also it runs like total shit, I'm running on medium, with a machine that runs crysis on very high, and still having terrible issues with it

The Black Hunter on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

also it runs like total shit, I'm running on medium, with a machine that runs crysis on very high, and still having terrible issues with it

That's the STALKER experience, unfortunately.

urahonky on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Well I regretfully state that the "STALKER experience" will likely be making way for the "Unreal Tournament 3 experience"

The Black Hunter on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Well I regretfully state that the "STALKER experience" will likely be making way for the "Unreal Tournament 3 experience"

Yeah? At least you didn't play the game when it first came out. It was about 100x worse then. Soured me enough to not enjoy the game.

UT3, however, is a very smooth experience.

urahonky on
  • 043043 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    urahonky wrote: »

I'm running on a machine that'll run Crysis on medium and other than the occasional raining visual glitch (which was fixed by reloading the game), I run it on maximum absolutely fine. This could change, as I'm still in the beginning of the game.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    043 wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

I'm running on a machine that'll run Crysis on medium and other than the occasional raining visual glitch (which was fixed by reloading the game), I run it on maximum absolutely fine. This could change, as I'm still in the beginning of the game.

If it runs well for you in the beginning, it will run well for you throughout, in all likelihood.

The problem with STALKER is that for some people, it just refuses to run well. For most, turning things down helps, but if it doesn't run well, well, it just won't and you can only get it to run better, never great. Still, it's one of the highest quality games to come out of eastern Europe in recent years, despite its problems, but I suppose that isn't really saying much at all.

And unlike most games, while it's not the most beautiful game around with all its settings on max, turning things down doesn't really hurt the game's visuals too much. While all the bump maps and fancy lighting effects might be gone, much of the game was being developed when those things weren't very prevalent, so the textures themselves are perfectly fine without more modern shaders and lighting and have plenty of texture themselves.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    My first runthrough, his door locked and stayed locked after I left the first time. I didn't know it wasn't supposed to until my second new game.

LaCabra on
  • Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Tim James wrote: »

Who are you? What is that?

Why do we trust you, mysterious, file-sharing stranger?

HadjiQuest on
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

No kidding.

Creepy.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    apotheos wrote: »
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

No kidding.

Creepy.

IIRC It's Stolls compilation of mods and patches that he put together for new people in the main Stalker thread.

Tim James could have done to explain that though. :mrgreen:

Anyway, I'm waiting for Clear Sky to come out so that I can hopefully buy Stalker along with it as a compilation pack on Steam.

subedii on
    edited March 2008
    Just thought I'd silently throw that out there and see if it gained its own steam. :)

Try it kids, you'll like it.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I so want to love this game, but it runs like shit on my computer. I don't have the greatest rig (2 GB RAM, Athlon 64 4000+, 7800GT), but I should get better than 20 fps. And that FPS is pretty much stuck there with dynamic lighting, doesn't matter if all other options are maxed or minimum.

The biggest reason I can't play it though, is because I'm a gigantic pussy. I love love LOVE the outdoor bits, especially when interacting with other humans. But I am not a fan of these mutants in any shape or form. After seeing Stolls' Let's Play thread, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to go into the X18 Facility (which I'm right outside of).

Zenitram on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Just thought I'd silently throw that out there and see if it gained its own steam. :)

Don't you peddle your vile candy to me Mr. Candyman!

subedii on
    edited March 2008

Does it require a new game?

Zenitram on
  • MasoniteMasonite Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Zenitram wrote: »
    I so want to love this game, but it runs like shit on my computer. I don't have the greatest rig (2 GB RAM, Athlon 64 4000+, 7800GT), but I should get better than 20 fps. And that FPS is pretty much stuck there with dynamic lighting, doesn't matter if all other options are maxed or minimum.

The biggest reason I can't play it though, is because I'm a gigantic pussy. I love love LOVE the outdoor bits, especially when interacting with other humans. But I am not a fan of these mutants in any shape or form. After seeing Stolls' Let's Play thread, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to go into the X18 Facility (which I'm right outside of).

So you didn't have any problems with the sewers below Agroprom? X18 is creepy, but it can't compare to your first Bloodsucker/Controller encounter.

Though, the only part of the game I dreaded having to do was an optional sidequest:
    clearing the abandoned town for Duty. Bloodsuckers ahoy!

Masonite on
    edited March 2008
    Masonite wrote: »
    Zenitram wrote: »

So you didn't have any problems with the sewers below Agroprom? X18 is creepy, but it can't compare to your first Bloodsucker/Controller encounter.

Though, the only part of the game I dreaded having to do was an optional sidequest:
    clearing the abandoned town for Duty. Bloodsuckers ahoy!

That's an experience I would much rather not repeat, you see. Also, down there I encountered what I later found out to be a poltergeist, I turned around and this box was floating, then thrown at me. Someone described X18 as being scarier than all of F.E.A.R. put together, which does not sound good to my well-being.

If Stalker were a little more grounded in reality (no crazy mutants besides the occasional animal) then I would be all for it.

Zenitram on
    edited March 2008
    Who was the guy that said he couldn't play S.T.A.L.K.E.R. after he found out he had to go underground in the game, and he was terrified of those types of locations, even in games.

Yeah, probably not for you then. :)

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Have any of the patches offered drastic improvements in performance? The last time I played this it was barely running smoothly on my GTS 320, but now I've moved up to an even larger monitor, which isn't giving me a whole lot of hope that I'll be able to play the game at an increased native resolution.

Brolo on
  • DanielDaniel Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    How well would this game play on my computer?

1 Gig of Ram, duo core cpu, 7600GS video card.

Daniel on
    edited March 2008
    Can't exchange it due to it having a CD key

Looks like its funnel and restraints time again

The Black Hunter on