As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[IC] Dark Heresy: Relic Hunters

• Options
    Spanky The DolphinSpanky The Dolphin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Janan presses her way through the narrow hatch and once inside the cockpit begins an attempt to contact the bridge of Saint Raleigh's Gates over the radio.

++JANAN KYROS - AGENT OF THE IMPERIAL INQUISITION TO SAINT RALEIGH'S GATES - A DAEMONIC MANIFESTATION HAS MATERIALIZED WITHIN THE HOLD - REQUEST THAT YOU PROVIDE ALL ARMED ASSISTANCE AT YOUR DISPOSAL++

Spanky The Dolphin on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    A voice replies on the comms. "The situation is being moved upon. Do not henceforth use this plane for unauthorized voxcasting. "

Marcus remains out of sight. The troopers fire again, lasers passing right through the being.

(END OF TURN 2)

Dariel pulls his head off the ramp, yellow and black flakes of paint stuck in his hair. (His initiative is 10)

The strange manifestation finally takes form, clothing and all, age and wear settled upon its face.

It is identical to Zolo Hornrunn.

It takes several unnervingly awkward steps toward the man himself, now heaving uncontrollably. It leans forward with an empty expression and starts mimicking the same noises as Zolo, as he goes from heaving to gasping.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Dariel draws his Autogun and looks at the two Zolo Hornrunns, looking to see any differences. ((Awareness)) He waves the gun back and forth between the two figures, not sure which to fire at.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Dariel draws his Autogun and looks at the two Zolo Hornrunns, looking to see any differences. ((Awareness)) He waves the gun back and forth between the two figures, not sure which to fire at.

(I don't know what to tell you dude, other than I rolled a 99, felt bad and rerolled to see the result. 98.)

You see two Zolos to the right of you, one sitting on the edge of the ramp in total hysterics, the other standing on the floor next to the ramp, in total hysterics.

Who knows what the hell is going on at the moment, let alone which is which.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Dariel aims at whichever Zolo is closer (half-action, obviously).

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    The one on the ground is only three meters away at most, and in direct line of sight. Good enough reasoning in your startled condition.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Janan leaves the cockpit and heads back out to the hold, preparing her las carbine for action.

(Was she able to see which Zolo is real and which is the imposter while in the cockpit?)

Spanky The Dolphin on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    (She should be able to easily recall where the 'imposter' was last compared to where Zolo had been. She did see him collapse.)

The Transmechanic steps back out through the hatchway, and moves back toward the exit. She hasn't had the opportunity to unsling her weapon at this moment.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Mira fires a full-auto burst at the fake Zolo, having been aiming at him the whole time. "Where did this Emperor-blasted thing come from?"

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    The Emperor's wrath is unleashed from Mira raed'Allen's autogun in a stream of bullets. Blood splatters upon both Zolos but it is clear only the standing copy is the source. From the hole in its collar and shredded neck, the red fluid drips persistently as the copy flinches and falls silent for a moment before collapsing.

The Naval troopers take several steps forward and pump multiple additional shots into its unmoving body, peppering the corpse with smoldering holes.

Marcus nervously comes out from his cover around the corner of the lighter.

(End of turn 3, Combat is over, everyone is out of their current states of fear. Except for Zolo, he's lying on the ramp in a gagging wreck.)

Janan:
    (You failed your out-of-combat fear check and can't approach the body willingly, in a nutshell) Though the strange being is no longer as horrifying or hostile now as a corpse, it has the disturbing status of something that rook on the appearance of a person you knew and was shot to death. It just adds up to being an abnormal sight to see.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Janan stands at the ramp's entrance, maintaining a nervous distance. She curses herself in machine code for suffering under such a pathetically emotional failing.

++CAN IT BE VERIFIED THAT THE MANIFESTATION HAS BEEN PROPERLY DESTROYED++ she calls out to no one in particular.

Spanky The Dolphin on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Dariel is still aiming his gun at the remaining Zolo.

"I say we frag this one too, to be sure," he says, still shaken.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    In the distance, the Naval officer's shouts echo across the cavernous hold. "Regroup, men! Regroup!" He and the other five troopers start jogging back towards the ship.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Mira runs up, slinging her autogun on her shoulder and yanking the remaining Zolo to his feet.

"We regroup with them, come on, everyone. I would rather not be the targets of the Navy troopers, it would be best to stand with them."

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Dariel stands up, keeping his weapon trained on Zolo.

"Sorry, but I don't think it's over yet." Dariel looks at Mira. "What if they were right? What if we, he, brought that with us?" he says, gesturing at Zolo with his gun.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Mira quickly steps away from Zolo, unsheathing her knife.

"Why do you say this? Zolo, are you one of those things? What was that thing?"

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Zolo holds tightly on the doorframe, still shaken by the experience and breathing hard.

"I Dunno... the fuck it was... just 'boom' and jumped me... it got... got inside my head... pluckin' out my thoughts..."

"We were's on th' ship t'gether all day and last day," Marcus says. "We 'adn't seen nothin' like that show up." He pauses and points at the body. "Who's th' stiff?"

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Mira shudders as she glances at it.

"A... thing... an unholy Emperor-damned blasted witch-thing..."

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    "Hey, I'm sorry but I gotta insist on you being restrained," Dariel says to Zolo. "Keep you under lock and key, at least until we can get things figured out. Play it safe, see?"

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    (Let's not linger here and move towards wrapping things up)

The Naval troopers line up around the scene with guns drawn on the acolytes. Their officer presses through them, pistol drawn, and shoves Marcus to the ground. He pins the lanky young man to the ground with one arm and puts the gun against the pilot's forehead. The officer is red in the face, grimacing and absolutely livid.

"WHAT ON *EARTH* DID YOU BRING! ABOARD! THIS! SHIP?!" He screams into Marcus' face. Marcus flinches form each punctuated word, flecks of spittle landing on his cheeks.

"Just the flyerman, I am," he says with a sheepish shrug.

The officer immediately stands up, pulls Marcus up with one arms and throws him towards the troopers. "Take them to the brig! Send an inspection crew down there for a full check!" He pulls a vox box off his belt and speaks directly into it. "Brogan, Sec Five, Hostile down, send additional squad to bay Gamma seven. Repeat, hostile down."

The five are dragged to one of the frigate's nearby secure brigs and subsequently put through various inspections. They are cavity searched, hosed down with water, scrubbed with chemicals, passed over by numerous odd mechanical scans and specculums, and questioned on odd and irrelevant subjects such as name, homeworld, and assigned mission, repeatedly. This lasts all through the night, everyone is completely exhausted when they are returned to their individual cells. Each is a small room with bed, chemical toilet, wash basin, notification signs explaining which one should be used as which, three metal walls, and a barred gate closing off the cell from the wide hallway.

Several days pass. These 'guests' are in earshot of eachother but have not been let out of their cells, only seeing the vessel's crew when brought their two square meals during the day. They have been told the ship is returning to the rendezvous point with the Inquisition. The journey has now ran two full days longer than the last trip.

Zolo snapped out of his panic once he was inspected and had some sleep, but has since been much quieter and less confident. Marcus on the other hand has been talkative as usual, even when nobody else replies, relating stories from his life on Grada as a chimney sweep with sleight of hand tricks who fell under accusations of witchcraft, until Inquisitor Screed pulled him out of prison.

"Wasn't nearly as nice as these cells, f'sure," Marcus reiterated more than once in the past week. "Figure ya won't find many good 'n' clean cells out in the Imperium. Not that I 'ave been in many, eh." Neither have the slightest clue what the thing that attacked was.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Mira paces about the cell with her hand under her robes, rubbing some unseen object in a ritualistic fashion.

"Emperor help his servant... I had destroyed that witch-thing... why am I being put here in this brig?"

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Dariel lay on his cell's bed, smoking a lho stick, one of precious few that were left.

"It's a precaution. Can't say I entirely disagree with them, dear," Dariel says, scratching the stubble forming on his chin absent-mindedly. "They dunno what to do 'cept wait for someone from the Inquisition to come, I imagine."

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    "Hey Marcus," Dariel said, deciding finally that if he was going to talk regardless of if anyone listened, he might as well try to get him to say something new. "Have you always been a pilot for the Inquisitor, or did you start out doing something else for him?"

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    "I s'pose at first, when I was at 'is safehouse, I just did simple ol' 'ousework til I took t'drivin the cariages and airships." Marcus called back from up the hall. "Screed 'ad enough servants t'sweep chimneys and 'e sure 'as some folks around with lot better magic than my cardtricks."

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Mira stops pacing as she hears the word magic, a terrible thought occurring to her. "Magic? What are these cardtricks?"

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    "Just flippin' around cards faster than th' eye can sees 'em. Harmless stuff, nothin' slick enough to make me a good purse-snatcher I can't say," he chuckles. "Neighbors didn't agree, 'ad me sittin' inna stone prison 'til, priase the Emp'ror, master Screed dropped in t'see what's the commotion was all-abouts. What's 'e find but a lil' chimney-boy. I figure sometimes 'e took me off th' town's 'ands just in 'ope I'd prove m'self useful, pay fer th' waste of 'is time."

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Mira returns to pacing nervously, her lip twitching as she mumbles something about witches under her breath.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    (I was going to post this two hours ago, but it seemed like my outside connection dropped out)

Within the hour a security guard enters the brig, with a little old man in a dark brown coat in tow.

The man had curly silvery-blonde hair and a short beard, bald on the top of his head. He carried a large scriptographic box and sets of scrolls in front of him, while a jointed metal brace bolted to the back of his neck stood out along his back under his clothing, like he had put on his coat stil on the coat rack and dragged it all the way here.

One by one the trooper unlocked each of the agents' cells, leads of them them and the old man to the holding room on the far end of the brig, and about an hour later, lead them back to their cell, and moved to the next person. Sitting alone with one acolyte in the holding room, the old man asks in a raspy whisper to recount their recollection of the Inquisitorial mission to the void structure outside the Walomn 21 system, including the incident in the firgate's dock.

(If there's any details you feel your character would emphasize, hypotheses they would make, or observations they feel their peers would not properly describe, feel free to do so today or tonight. This adventure is finishing sometime in the next couple days by my plans.)

(Also, feel free to post any questions or dialogue you might have blurted out to the guard or the old man, but that option should be a given by now)

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Janan stumbled when removed from her cell, disoriented from having spent the last few days within a deep analytical trance, though became fully lucid by the time she was seated in front of the old man. To him she recounted everything remembered and experienced during the mission; from the time they originally departed for the station to the concluding altercation with the manifestation in the hold.

In addition Janan also covers every single fact and detail she memorized relating to the Argent House, its layout, and the functioning of its systems.

Spanky The Dolphin on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Dariel recounts everything that occurred to the best of his recollection. He recalls the structure’s architecture and the library where they first met Brother Loam, and about the vast fields and the power core they saw the next day, though he was certain the tech priest would have more information to tell about all of that. He talks about how their cult seemed to operate, their obsession about "rebirth" and how they adopted new names and used masks as faces. He recalls how he and Fellius decided to split up and find out more information, but then Mira ran into the strange monk and he ran to help, and then how they were summoned to the morgue and interrogated about the victims they were accused of killing. He remembers with particular detail Brother Haolown and his interrogation of the masked monk, with the ritual of the mask and how Haolown seemed to be able to see into the minds of his fellow acolytes. He told of the short debate he had with everyone about whether to remain or to come back to ask the Inquisitor for advice on how to proceed, and that they were completely unable to contact Fellius before they left. Finally he says that the shuttle ride was uneventful and that (with a little embarrassment) after the apparition appeared in the hanger he seems to have… passed out, but that it had looked like the monks had described, and just like the monk had witnessed, it took on the form of a person.

He finishes by saying he truly doesn't know if the apparition had originated from somewhere in the station or if it had been attached to Zolo the whole time, but either way someone should return to the station to see what happened to Fellius and to assure the monks there that the apparition had been dealt with.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Mira shudders as she recounts her ordeal on th station, making specific not of her encounter with the person in the cell and Brother Haolown, seeming to repeatedly use the word "witch" when describing him and his actions. She relates her strong suspicion that the station is in fact a den of heretics under the sway of a powerful rogue psyker, and subconsciously spins her recollections to support her thesis.
    When describing the encounter in the hangar, she repeatedly says, "I followed my training, I destroyed that witch-thing."

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    The man transcribes each acolyte's account is unrelenting speed, mechanical typeset keys hammering out letters as his aged hands danced across the scriptographic machine's multiple rows of buttons. He prompts with only a few questions (though Kyros is requested several elaborations and given a few comments about her description of the Argent House during their extended interview) but is otherwise silent.

Finally the fifth agent is returned to their cell. The guard locks them back in, nods, and exits the brig.

A few minutes pass before the door is again opened. Someone tells the guard outside in a muffled voice to remain at his post. As the acolytes look though the steel bars of their cells, they see three individuals stroll past as they head to the holding room.

The first is a tall man with cropped gray hair in a black Arbitrator's greatcoat; Janan and several others should recognize him as Russ Blinder, Inquisitorial Interrogator. He gives the slightest glance as he stiffly walks by.

The second is less than Blinder's waist in height. It hobbles by in a red & olive leather frock lined with buckles and straps, stopping to squint and sneer into each cell with its bloated infantile face. Its scalp and hands are laced with silver wires. It hurries to catch up with its Interrogator master.

At the rear follows what can only be identified as an enormous human skull, stretched and grown to the size of a curled-up man, strolling past as a dozen tentacle limbs writhe under it like an octopus of bone and rubber. Numerous canisters and bulbs are mounted on its underside and its possesses a face dotted with scopes, lens arrays, calipers, and syringes.

As this last one passes each door, its lock is audibly opened.

"The cells are opened, you're in my custody again," Russ Blinder finally speaks. He stands just inside the holding room doorway, waiting.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Mira steps out of her cell, hands at her side, awaiting the Interrogator's orders.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    He nods in a beckoning motion and steps out of the doorway.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Mira follows wordlessly.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Dariel steps out of his cell, having just unconsciously finished combing his hair.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Janan follows, her servo-skull floating dutifully behind her.

Spanky The Dolphin on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    (I was going to post earlier today, but I suppose now everybody's responded)

The five enter the drab, dimly-lit holding room and are greeted by Interrogator Blinder and his entourage. Blinder has taken a seat behind the table occupying the room's center. The child-thing sits on his left and peers over the edge of the table, sneering and staring at the new guests; the skull-machine crawls over to Blinder's right and comes to a stop. Across from their side of the table is a half dozen chairs. In one corner, the old man still sits with his typographic device.

Russ Blinder already sits with a handful of fresh documents before him, gold and black fountain pen in hand. He barely glances at the acolytes as they step into the room.

(Presumably the agents take their seats or stand nearby. Neither gesture elicits much reaction)

Interrogator Blinder continues reading in silence, making an occasional mark or note on the papers. The child-thing glances all around the room, its lips pressed together in an ugly grin. An air bladder on the skull machine inflates and deflates, liquid drips and gurgles inside its various tubs and tanks over the sound of its clockwork eyes adjusting.

"...Quite a few direct lines of questioning over the station itself." Blinder finally commented without looking up. "Less so of its inhabitants. It seems Mister Castiron tried to pursue specific answers. I suppose someone will be sent to reacquire him and continue that investigation."

The child squeaked a snicker.

Russ continued reading for several more moments of cold silence, before setting the testaments down and finally looking up.

"Do you know how many times that apparition reappeared in the docking bay before the crew finally figured out where it was coming from?" He asked matter-of-factly. The child-thing again chortled gleefully.

"Four times. Four times it reappeared, causing one casualty, before they deployed a containment field and flamers. Why did no one report the growth on the transport's hull?"

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Mira blinks, taken aback. "g...growth? I was unaware of any damage to our transport... Marcus did not alert us to anything he felt amiss..."

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Dariel shakes his head. "No, we can't try and pass the blame off on our pilot. He stayed in the craft the entire time, and it's quite possible the growth attached itself during the trip there... those of us who were outside the craft did not bother to look for anything amiss."

"We... I thought it was impossible for the apparition to have come with us to the station, because I thought such a thing would have to be within one of us... I never considered it could have resided elsewhere."

DarkPrimus on