As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Limiting roommate's internets through router magicks

hoodie13hoodie13 punch broRegistered User regular
edited March 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
My roommate's being a cockmunch and torrenting all sorts of shit, and seeing as I'm the one that pays the cable bills around here, I feel I'm entitled to throttle back his usage to what's fair for the other three people in the apartment.

Here's what I've got:

1. Comcast internet. Ugh. Not much I can do though, they're the only provider in the area.
2. Link-Sys WRT54G wireless router. Roommate connects through ethernet.
3. Administrative access to the router.

Here's what I want to do:

1. Find out what computers are connected to his router, therefore identifying which IP address is his (I assume it's something like 192.168.1.xxx, where "xxx" will somewhat correspond to which number port he's in, is this right?)
2. Limit his download capability to 50 kB/s
3. (and most importantly) limit his upload to 20 kB/s

Are the last two bits possible with the basic firmware of the WRT54G? If not, who can I do it?

PSN: HoodieThirteen
XBL: Torn Hoodie
@hoodiethirteen
hoodie13 on

• Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Don't worry... Comcast is throttling your roommate's torrents for you :)

Seriously though, on my WRT54G web setup there's a Quality of Service option under the Applications and Gaming tab. You can set device priorities and whatnot there. I actually don't use it so I'm not terribly familiar with setting it up, but if you google for WRT54G QOS or quality of service you should be able to get some ideas about how to set it up.

Daenris on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I haven't used this program before, but it looks legit. It's called Traffic Shaper XP and can be downloaded here.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    How about you ask him to cut down his usage, instead of being passive-aggressive?

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    How about you ask him to cut down his usage, instead of being passive-aggressive?

This, or maybe put a torrenting policy to boot up Bit Torrent at night when people are asleep and then turn it off in the morning before work?

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    TrentusTrentus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I would tend to ask him to be more reasonable with sharing the bandwidth. If he refuses, then take further action.

The QoS settings in the router should be able to throttle him back, or even just throttle back certain apps. You might get some better control if you use a third party firmware though.

Trentus on
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Oops, forgot to mention that I've already asked him. After a day though, it's pretty clear that he's still uploading at obscene speeds.

I was hoping to deal with this without outside programs, but I'll give those a shot. Let you know how they turn out.

Thanks for your help so far.

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    MrOlettaMrOletta Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Since you have the original firmware that came with the 54G, I would look into DD-WRT for enhancing the capabilities of your router.

MrOletta on
  • Options
    The SaviorThe Savior Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    MrOletta wrote: »
    Since you have the original firmware that came with the 54G, I would look into DD-WRT for enhancing the capabilities of your router.

This. DD-WRT gives your router tons of configuration options that the default firmware doesn't. I highly recommend grabbing the latest stable version, since you have a compatible router.

The Savior on
  • Options
    RNEMESiS42RNEMESiS42 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Why don't you guys split the cable bill? I have two room mates including my girlfriend, and we split cable and internet three ways.

RNEMESiS42 on
    my apartment looks upside down from there
    water spirals the wrong way out the sink
  • Options
    JNighthawkJNighthawk Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    hoodie13 wrote: »
    Oops, forgot to mention that I've already asked him. After a day though, it's pretty clear that he's still uploading at obscene speeds.

I was hoping to deal with this without outside programs, but I'll give those a shot. Let you know how they turn out.

Thanks for your help so far.

As an FYI, it may not be his upload speed that's causing internet problems. It could be the bajillions of connections that BitTorrent tries to make. Even with reasonable upload and download caps, you can still have problems just from having it running, when you add a new torrent.

JNighthawk on
    Game programmer
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Splitting the bill may not work since thats like splitting the bill at a restaurant when you only had a salad and a water and someone else ran up a bar tab with some surf & turf.

If its purely torrents that are causing you the headaches, cant you just disable the ports that the torrents use on the router?

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

This, or maybe put a torrenting policy to boot up Bit Torrent at night when people are asleep and then turn it off in the morning before work?

Bam!

I don't know about BitTorrent, but uTorrent has a scheduler that's easy to work with.

TL DR on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Splitting the bill may not work since thats like splitting the bill at a restaurant when you only had a salad and a water and someone else ran up a bar tab with some surf & turf.

If its purely torrents that are causing you the headaches, cant you just disable the ports that the torrents use on the router?
    o_O

Do you know something I don't about Comcast billing? Because it would be more like splitting the bill at an all-you-can-eat buffet.

It's worth noting that regardless of who's doing it, what the upload/download limits are, or how I have the router setup, neither I nor my roommate can surf the internet effectively while either of us is torrenting. I suspect it has to do with Comcast's traffic shaping. Scheduling your torrenting around when no one is using the internet is likely the best way to go.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I have Time Warner, and if there's a torrent program running anywhere, you can't functionally browse the internet, much less play online games.

It's a simple matter to torrent from 1-6 AM, and maybe when everyone will be at work. Torrents will still download, and you won't have to eviscerate your roommate. Though if he's being a prick about it you may still have that problem.

TL DR on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »

o_O

Do you know something I don't about Comcast billing? Because it would be more like splitting the bill at an all-you-can-eat buffet.

It's worth noting that regardless of who's doing it, what the upload/download limits are, or how I have the router setup, neither I nor my roommate can surf the internet effectively while either of us is torrenting. I suspect it has to do with Comcast's traffic shaping. Scheduling your torrenting around when no one is using the internet is likely the best way to go.

Sorry, I was under the impression that Comcast had increased their billing package to match their usage / throttled them down, effectively giving them less service for the same price. By either measure because of the roommates increased usage the OP is recieving less service for his dollar, so it really wouldnt be fair to make him pay for half when he is using less than half of the service.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski