As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Darkly Gaming Dexter - The Videogame (New Info - iPhone)

SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
edited September 2009 in Games and Technology
00000351062006102105515fs8.jpg

You guys watch Dexter? I know some of you have. It's one of the few things that me and DarkWarrior have in common. :-P PA even had an excellent thread dedicated to the series. Go check it out to bring yourself up to date here, but be careful. There are spoilers. You'll find some talk about the awful books as well.

Info...
Tomorrow, Showtime Networks and Marc Ecko Entertainment will announce that they will be partnering up to create a videogame based on the hit Showtime series, Dexter. Despite revealing no specific development team, Ecko has said that it will work closely with Showtime to keep the game as true to the series as possible.

"Dexter is the extremely rare TV show with enough layers of action and tension to translate perfectly into a compelling videogame," said Marc Fernandez, Vice President of Marc Ecko Entertainment. "Our game designers, writers, and artists are going to give Dexter's morally complex world the kind of interactivity that gamers will love."

Dexter tells that tale of Dexter Morgan- a well-rounded citizen and murder case expert for the Miami police. Despite being a policeman by day, Dexter is a serial killer by night when he hunts down other murderers.

Information concerning plot details, developer, and gameplay mechanics are all expected to be released over the next several months. No release date or platform has been confirmed. Stay tuned.

http://www.kombo.com/article.php?artid=10783

Dexter game? Fuckawesome. Made by Mark Echo's crew? Motherfucker.

The series universe itself has a wealth of different ways to approach turning it into a game. We can play the game from multiple view points. Killers, Dexter, Cops... The game will require an incredibly cinematic appraoch, that's for sure, and maybe there will be boobs (pardon my tits).

I'd love to sneak around as Dex.

While I don't give two rats about Mark Echo or his previous game, I think a highly "urban" viewpoint would probably help with the setting for the game. If they can call in the voice actors from the show, and make good on the gameplay, DAY ONE PURCHASE.

EDIT

Day one purchase? For the iPhone. Guess I need one of those now.

____

New info!

dexteriphonepreview.jpg
The rules (and the rest of Dexter's world) should be instantly familiar to anyone who watches the show. Considering that it's native to the iPhone, Dexter's Miami is rendered with stunning detail, as are the show's leads.

Fans are going to recognize plot lines, too, as the game follows the show's first season and the hunt for the Ice Truck Killer, while still taking a few creative liberties.

What we couldn't get a great bead on was the actual game part of Dexter: The Game. There's some adventure-style clue hunting, there's stealth, there are conversations, there's accelerometer-controlled bone sawing, there's rhythm-based arguing. Seriously, it's all over the map.

Some of it, like slowing stalking your prey and hiding behind boxes when they turn to look at you is pretty enjoyable. Other scenes, like having to tap sections of the screen to maintain your concentration when confronted by the suspicious Sgt. Doakes, just seem like a stretch.

Failing any task will cause your "Mask" to lower, meaning those around you are just a little bit closer to discovering your secret. It's a neat touch, but not quite enough to give the game the cohesion it seems to need right now.

Joystiq

dexteriphones2.jpg

Sheep on

• Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I don't really see how the show could be a game. I expect some shitty stealth-action game in the vein of Splinter Cell.

Maybe I'm just being pessimistic.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I think it might work as something like Condemned + Splinter Cell.
    Since I don't really have time to watch the show (and I no longer have Showtime) what were the books called again?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Nocren wrote: »
    what were the books called again?

Stop. Don't. Come back.

Sheep on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Wait, what?
    For the record, I liked the couple of episodes that I did watch.
    Were the books that bad?
    If so, then I guess I'll have to make time for the show then.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Nocren wrote: »
    Wait, what?
    For the record, I liked the couple of episodes that I did watch.
    Were the books that bad?
    If so, then I guess I'll have to make time for the show then.

The first 2 were alright, the 3rd was an abomination.

I think they were called Darkly Dreaming Dexter, Dearly Devoted Dexter, and Dexter in the Dark.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    Mr ObersmithMr Obersmith Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, I've read all three and Dexter in the Dark is bizarre, and not in a good way. Love the show and I'd have to agree that if it's done kind of like Condemned there could be promise.

Mr Obersmith on
    Battle.net - Obersmith#1709
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
  • Options
    AtimaAtima Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm having a hard time figuring out what kind of game this could be, too. For some reason, the first thought that popped into my head was a Banjo-Kazooie-esque collect-a-thon "Collect 12 severed dead hooker body parts to advance to level 2".

In all seriousness I'd really like the game to be good, as the series is fairly entertaining. But I just really don't have high hopes for this one. I'd still probably give it a rental if they at least got the original cast to do voice acting (I'm a bit of a fan of Michael C. Hall, or any former Six Feet Under cast member for that matter).

Atima on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    The show is fantastic. If you're watching the CBS version, just stop, go to the store, and pick up the Showtime DVDs. It's not that the CBS version is bad, but the original is just better.

This, though? I don't like this. Not only is the game probably going to suck, it's taking the franchise in a direction that scares me. The first two seasons have been so good, but it needs to end before they drive it into the ground. Making a game doesn't seem like they want to head in a direction where it will end, ever.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It's absolutely impossible that this turns into a good game.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I don't see how this could possibly make a good game. They couldn't even make a good Sopranos game and it at least had much more game potential.

Invisible on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Have they announced a third season? The way the second one ended, I could totally accept that as being the end of Dex's story. If you haven't seen the end of the second season, this is very much a spoiler so don't open it.
    I've killed the hot British chick, and in doing so I've reaffirmed that I am a killer, it's what I'm good at and I enjoy it. I accept myself, and move forward into a bright future of freedom and vigilantism.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm thinking less Splinter Cell and more Hitman. Weave through the environment to recon your target and infiltrate, then take them down quietly and remove them to a secret location to perform the actual kill. Maybe the idea could use some tweaking, but there could be a pretty sweet game in there somewhere.

freakish light on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yes, Season 3 will begin this fall.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    Chance wrote: »
    Have they announced a third season? The way the second one ended, I could totally accept that as being the end of Dex's story. If you haven't seen the end of the second season, this is very much a spoiler so don't open it.
    I've killed the hot British chick, and in doing so I've reaffirmed that I am a killer, it's what I'm good at and I enjoy it. I accept myself, and move forward into a bright future of freedom and vigilantism.

Showtime is producing a third season, and that would have made a terrible ending to the series.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I only read the 1st 2 books. Glad I havent had time for #3.

And I've never trusted TV to video game stuff. That is, until LOST: VIA DOMUS.

And now, I see why I never trusted TV to video game stuff. THATS NOT WHAT CHARLIE SOUNDS LIKE!

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    PiggoPiggo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Mark Ecko Presents: Showtime’s Dexter: The Videogame: Cutting Up: Contents Underwater.

Piggo on
  • Options
    FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The only way I can see this happening if they had like...an investigative portion, i.e. "Find the Evidence that Proves the Dude is Worth Killing," and the Splinter Cell portion.

Still. Yack.

I would buy it however if it was an hour of Doakes going, "I GOT MY EYE ON YOU MOTHERFUCKER"

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I want a Dexters Laboratory game in the vein of Destroy All Humans.

I realize this has nothing to do with this thread, except the name Dexter, but it's the first thing that came to mind when I read the title.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Oh, please let me play as James Doakes, so I can SURPRISE some motherfuckers.

Grab a crayon, psychos, and scribble this down:

With the TV show voice talent and hybrid RPG mechanics, it could be really awesome. They could just populate Miami with lots of interesting characters; they could set it up with a system of "leads" evolving into "profiles" which you could then choose whether or not to act on. A sort of cross between The Witcher and Grand Theft Auto.

If they try to do it as an on-the-rails interactive movie, of course it will suck. Part of the joy of Dexter is watching him navigate through a world of alien social interaction while balancing his "cover" life with his serial killing. We would have to decide whether to dispose of the body or show up at Deb's party... that's what Dexter is about.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

With the TV show voice talent and hybrid RPG mechanics, it could be really awesome. They could just populate Miami with lots of interesting characters; they could set it up with a system of "leads" evolving into "profiles" which you could then choose whether or not to act on. A sort of cross between The Witcher and Grand Theft Auto.

If they try to do it as an on-the-rails interactive movie, of course it will suck. Part of the joy of Dexter is watching him navigate through a world of alien social interaction while balancing his "cover" life with his serial killing. We would have to decide whether to dispose of the body or show up at Deb's party... that's what Dexter is about.

OH MY I SEEM TO HAVE REPLACED MY WALLET WITH A HUMAN HAND. QTE SO NOBODY NOTICES!

FireWeasel on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    In the same vein as my gripe with LOST: VIA DOMUS (John Locke is a hopi indian!)

This game *WILL* suck, 100% without a doubt, no matter WHAT, if they don't get Michael C. Hall to narriate it.

It's that simple. I won't even try it if he's not involved.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm just hoping for a good Third season. Is that too much to hope for? Screw the Game, produce a good Third Season!

p.s. I would so be happy if you could go around and cut up people and individually wrap them in their own bags, to be neatly piled on the sea floor where nobody can find them!

p.p.s. oops?

Banzai5150 on
    50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    FireWeasel wrote: »

OH MY I SEEM TO HAVE REPLACED MY WALLET WITH A HUMAN HAND. QTE SO NOBODY NOTICES!

Those are actually some pretty good ideas.

Sheep on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Adventure title.
    It is the only way I can see it being any good. Dexter doesn't go around killing enough people to make an action title out of. It is all plot, plot, plot, kill...or at least the episodes I've seen.

Accualt on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It doesn't matter what genre they try to cram the IP into. Its being done Mark Ecko's people. Motherfuckers can't even spell, let alone design a good game.

I expect it to play exactly like Getting Up. But instead of graffiti, you kill people.

Dirty on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, I don't see how this can be great, with that team behind it. It ought to be somewhat controversial, though. We haven't had a proper serial killer sim as far as I can recall.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    So...will this be like the CSI games with a QTE murder game? I like the idea of playing a Dexter game but I don't know how they'd turn it into a full game. I mean I guess they could make it like Fahrenheit where your decisions have major impact and result in you getting caught or living to kill another day. Actually a Dexter/Fahrenheit game would work for me.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    A Dexter game that played like Fahrenheit has potential. But it would only work if the people who made Fahrenheit worked on the game, with the writing staff from Dexter checking up on them to make sure they don't do anything retarded with the plot, and Michael C. Hall voicing Dexter.

Dirty on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Dirty wrote: »
    A Dexter game that played like Fahrenheit has potential. But it would only work if the people who made Fahrenheit worked on the game, with the writing staff from Dexter checking up on them to make sure they don't do anything retarded with the plot, and Michael C. Hall voicing Dexter.

Really, anyone but the Fahrenheit team working on it would make it good. Did you play the entire game? Ignoring the plot for a second, the only time your actions are able to to be changed significantly is during the first scene in the diner. After that and even including that, your choices are largely inconsequential and the game plays out in pretty much the same way with only minor and insignificant changes.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I actually prefer my games to be relatively linear. I don't like replaying a game multiple times just to get different endings.

Dirty on
  • Options
    RooXRooX Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    They should make it like the old Tex Murphy games... Live action adventure FTW. Only instead of tipping your hat, lighting a smoke and walking off into the sunset at the end of the quests.. you can kill people.

RooX on
    Only dead fish swim downstream.
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I still think that you'd almost have to do it with The Witcher's engine, or something similar.

If you recall the murder investigation, they had it set up so that Geralt built up a profile of each suspect, and kept detailed lists of what he knows about them. Eventually, he'd be able to determine if someone was guilty or innocent, thereby finishing off their "quest" line. In this game, when you build up evidence sufficient to satisfy Harry's Code, you could kill the suspects or decide that they're not viable targets*. If you kill them before satisfying the Code, you risk getting caught and lose potential XP.

Borrow some time period constraint ideas from Persona 3 so as to handle work and social obligations, and you're golden. I contend that the only satsifying way of doing a Dexter video game is to make it an RPG: the world he lives in is far too rich and complex to do it any other way.

*:
    Like Carlos Guerrero in season 1.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Personally I find Dexter to be the best show on TV. And September 30th is too far away.

I have zero hope for this game.

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This could be so good.
    It's going to be bad isn't it?

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Here's my prediction. The game will consist mainly of watching the 1st season of Dexter, heavily compressed to fit all on one single-layer DVD. Its also the edited for CBS version. At key points, the player will have to perform a QTE. Failure to complete them will result in an alternate version of the scene, poorly rendered in CG. Usually with disastrous results. QTE failures can result in:

Dexter saying something meant for his internal monologue out loud, gets arrested.
    Dexter fucking up a killing, throwing a fit, and letting the victim go, gets arrested.
    Dexter dropping Rita's son on his head, gets arrested.

Nah, Mark Ecko can't make a game that good.

Dirty on
  • Options
    DysonDyson Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I love the show, but what the hell? How could they make an interesting game out of this? Unless its a story that requires you to press a button every 10 mins or something

Dyson on
    GSP+11.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Made by Mark Echo's crew? Motherfucker

So Dexter is to be full of monotonus broken stealth/combat,hip-hip culture and crappy jungle gym climbing mechanics ?

I'm sorry but Mark Echo pretty much entails this game will blow.

Edit- Also the best Dexter Game would play like Phoenix Wright. All the internal monolouge and clue getting and whatnot. Instead of a courtroom though successful completion of the storyline ends in a grisly murder of the badguy.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Edit- Also the best Dexter Game would play like Phoenix Wright. All the internal monolouge and clue getting and whatnot. Instead of a courtroom though successful completion of the storyline ends in a grisly murder of the badguy.

You're a child molester! AND I CAN PROVE IT!

BUT I WON'T AND INSTEAD WILL SARAN WRAP YOUR TRANQUILIZED ASS AND MURDER YOU!

FireWeasel on
  • Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I just came across this thread, and its obvious that this game will be a top down RTS. Dexter is your hero unit, with you collecting resources.

its the only way that makes sense

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You know it could be based around the Dark Defender comic from the show where Dexter is an anti-Superhero type.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.